What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady-time to jump ship? (1 Viewer)

Bayhawks

Footballguy
Brady went later than Bree's, Peyton, & Rogers in many leagues this year (because of the drastic changes to his receiving corps); but as the off-season progressed, his new receivers seemed to assert themselves (glowing reports about Amendola, Sudfeld, Thompkins, & Vereen). Brady started t represent (IMO) value. Now, after week 1, we have Amendola hurt, Sudfeld hurt, Vereen on IR, & Thompkins not doing much week 1. With a decimated receiving corps, do you still roll with Brady? I can't see any situation where you can get value in a trade, but do you go with your backup QB? What type of backup would you consider to replace him? Bradford, Cutlet, A Smith, (gulp) Pryor or Manuel?

:confused:

Guy's been a machine, no matter who his weapons are, for like a decade. Dang near 300/2 in week one. There's absolutely no player I'd have on a roster alongside Tom Brady who I'd consider benching him for.

I'm not too excited about him on thursday, so I will probably put in vick, or stafford, but I doubt I'd roll with those slugs you listed, although i haven't looked at match ups.

I think you're way over reacting, but I do think he's throwing less tight spirals and the velocity is down on his sideline throws and deep balls. I think he'll be fine regardless of his receivers, but it wouldn't surprise me if his arm strength starts to affect him rather noticeably next year.

Guy's been a machine, no matter who his weapons are, for like a decade. Dang near 300/2 in week one. There's absolutely no player I'd have on a roster alongside Tom Brady who I'd consider benching him for.
Yes, dang near 300/2 (as in not 300/2) with a healthy Vereen & Amendola, who accounted for over 160 of his 288 yards. Vereen is out for at least 10 weeks, and Amendola is out for who knows how long. That leaves Edelman (who could start drawing the opposition's top CB), a rookie TE, and several rookie WRs.

Go back and look at the machine over the last decade. When has he put up significant FF points with this weak/inexperienced a receiving corps

Yeah, I got no horse in this race. Drop him if you got an inkling. I think it's a world class bad idea. I said "dang near" specifically to account for the fact that he actually accounted for 1 FF point less than that, but I wouldn't think that point would sour you on the guy.

If you don't believe, you don't believe. I wish you luck. I suspect you'll need it. :shrug:

Yeah, I got no horse in this race. Drop him if you got an inkling. I think it's a world class bad idea. I said "dang near" specifically to account for the fact that he actually accounted for 1 FF point less than that, but I wouldn't think that point would sour you on the guy.

If you don't believe, you don't believe. I wish you luck. I suspect you'll need it. :shrug:
Who said anything about dropping him?

You don't think it is reasonable to think about/discuss this? A QB loses his top 4 receiving threats from the previous season, then two of his top threats in game 1 of the current season, and you don't think it's reasonable to consider that he may not be as productive as he had in the past?

Yes, dang near 300/2 (as in not 300/2) with a healthy Vereen & Amendola, who accounted for over 160 of his 288 yards. Vereen is out for at least 10 weeks, and Amendola is out for who knows how long. That leaves Edelman (who could start drawing the opposition's top CB), a rookie TE, and several rookie WRs. Go back and look at the machine over the last decade. When has he put up significant FF points with this weak/inexperienced a receiving corps
2005 he had a top 3 finish, 2006 a top 10.

Who said anything about dropping him?You don't think it is reasonable to think about/discuss this? A QB loses his top 4 receiving threats from the previous season, then two of his top threats in game 1 of the current season, and you don't think it's reasonable to consider that he may not be as productive as he had in the past?
Gronk should be back soon, Amendola seems fine to come back next week, and the Pats threw 52 times. He won't be top 5 IMO, but top 10 is likely.

Hold tight, Gronkowski will be back soon. Brady distributes the ball so well, constantly putting the ball on the money right into the receivers hands. 28 Touchdowns would be a "down year" for him.

Who said anything about dropping him?You don't think it is reasonable to think about/discuss this? A QB loses his top 4 receiving threats from the previous season, then two of his top threats in game 1 of the current season, and you don't think it's reasonable to consider that he may not be as productive as he had in the past?
Gronk should be back soon, Amendola seems fine to come back next week, and the Pats threw 52 times. He won't be top 5 IMO, but top 10 is likely.
top 10 would be great if my league had 32 players

Look past week 2 and what do you see? Gronk amendola edelman. Vareen hurts but preseason projections didnt figure on gronk week 3. Thompkins and the rest are window dressing. Youre gonna get 35 tds and 4000 yards as a floor.

top 10 would be great if my league had 32 players
If you've already got a QB you think will be top 5, go ahead and start him instead. That seems reasonable.

Not if his name is Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or Manning

Yes, dang near 300/2 (as in not 300/2) with a healthy Vereen & Amendola, who accounted for over 160 of his 288 yards. Vereen is out for at least 10 weeks, and Amendola is out for who knows how long. That leaves Edelman (who could start drawing the opposition's top CB), a rookie TE, and several rookie WRs. Go back and look at the machine over the last decade. When has he put up significant FF points with this weak/inexperienced a receiving corps
2005 he had a top 3 finish, 2006 a top 10.
That is true, but the NFL is a different league now. His FF points from those seasons would have mde him QB 13 & 21 last year. 28 TDs probably won't be top10 this year.I will probably stick with him, because my backup isn't a great replacement, but I don't think it is crazy if you have a solid back up QB (Vick, Eli, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Longtime Pats fan and I'm concerned...for this week.

No Amendola, No Gronk, No Vereen, short week, K. Thompkins not yet on the same page.

NYJ D isn't a pushover. And it's not as if Ryan doesn't know this team.

My opponent this week has Brady and I'm actually hoping he plays him. Upside with Brady is limited this week while taking a flyer on one of Manuel or Pryor could reap 30+ points.

Expect a low scoring game where the Pats somehow find a way to win (most likely on some stupid G. Smith mistake).

No Amendola, No Gronk, No Vereen, short week, K. Thompkins not yet on the same page.

My opponent this week has Brady and I'm actually hoping he plays him. Upside with Brady is limited this week while taking a flyer on one of Manuel or Pryor could reap 30+ points.

Expect a low scoring game where the Pats somehow find a way to win (most likely on some stupid G. Smith mistake).
I hate to say it but this is my exact train of thought and I can see myself rolling with Pryor vs. JAC this week. I watched all of the NE/BUF game and the offense looked out of sync WITH a healthy Amendola, Vereen and Sudfeld (for however long he was healthy).

It seems absolutely crazy but at the same time totally logical.

I think you and some others here are over-reacting. You think starting a rookie QB over Brady actually makes sense?

Besides Edleman, he'll have KT, Dobson and Boyce out there, and whyle they are rooks, Brady will find them.

Well there is the kiss of death. The fantasy football gods must smite you now, just on principle alone.

Start Brady with confidence, people. He will now assuredly go for 350/3. Be sure to thank this sacrificial lamb who blasphemies the golden one.

you're worried about Brady, in a game at home, where the Pats are favored by 12pts with a 44 o/u? if ever there was a time to start him with confidence it's Thursday night. :thumbup:

I hate to say it but this is my exact train of thought and I can see myself rolling with Pryor vs. JAC this week. I watched all of the NE/BUF game and the offense looked out of sync WITH a healthy Amendola, Vereen and Sudfeld (for however long he was healthy).

He did not look good in game 1, there were a lot of throws off the mark. Something to keep an eye on early in the year until they get in the flow.

Just like any stud, playing the matchups can work in your favor sometimes, other times they explode and you curse yourself.

drafted Brady in a startup dynasty in the 6th round in 2004. traded him for Matt Ryan before this season. very interested to see how this turns out.

Tom Brady continues to produce, season after season, regardless of who lines up at receiver. I learned many years ago, as a former Dan Marino fantasy owner, not to overanalyze the quality of the targets, and just trust your stud QB. Tom Brady will be just fine. If you are fortunate enough to have him leading your fantasy team, just set him in your lineup, and forget about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
dickey moe said:
Benching Tom Brady this week for Terrelle Pryor. :football:

dead serious.
I have a 5 month old puppy who, given three chances, put his paw on the picture of Tom Brady when given the choice of Brady or Pryor just now. Dead serious.
Racist dog...
What if the dog was black?
How would you know? That is only the dog's hair, it just happens to cover his entire body.
Skin less arbitrary than hair?

socrates said:
Tom Brady continues to produce, season after season, regardless of who lines up at receiver. I learned many years ago, as a former Dan Marino fantasy owner, not to overanalyze the quality of the targets, and just trust your stud QB. Tom Brady will be just fine. If you are fortunate enough to have him leading your fantasy team, just set him in your lineup, and forget about it.
So when Dan Marino was 36, and his top receivers were OJ McDuffie and Troy Drayton, you didn't overanalyze the quality of his targets, and trusted your stud QB? How did Marinos 3800 yards and 16 TDs work out for you that year?

I could see maybe benching this week if you had a better option like Wilson, Luck, Stafford, etc. But I wouldn't bench him over Pryor and it would take some serious thought to bench him period no matter who is throwing the ball too.

You should of drafted him as a mid level starter qb6ish. He will be that but dont expect him to carry your team.
That's my point. I did draft him there, but I saw the upside for more (based on pre-season reports about Thompkins, Sudfeld, Vereen, Amendola, etc). Since Thompkins and Sudfeld underwhelmed in game 1, and Vereen and Amendola are hurt, I don't necessarily see the upside.Let's assume we are talking about a mid-low level QB1 not named "Tom Brady." If this hypothetical QB lost two of his top receivers in the 1st game, would it not make sense to consider replacing him with a back-up QB? Is it just the fact that his name is "Tom Brady" that is sparking such outrage?

socrates said:
So when Dan Marino was 36, and his top receivers were OJ McDuffie and Troy Drayton, you didn't overanalyze the quality of his targets, and trusted your stud QB? How did Marinos 3800 yards and 16 TDs work out for you that year?

When Dan Marino was 36, he was coming off two injury plagued seasons, the most recent of which saw him light up the scoreboard for 2800/17, and was going undrafted in fantasy drafts.

Apples to Platypuses.

Users who are viewing this thread