What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Romo: Broadcaster (2 Viewers)

local radio is playing Kevin Harlan's call of the game winner and it's pretty good. nobody immediately steps in to talk over him.. his radio partner just lets Harlan handle the call in the way that Harlan does it

they juxtaposed that against the CBS tv call and it just shines a 100,000 watt light on how bad Romo bungled it
IIRC Harlan's radio partner was Kurt Warner.

Listened to their wrap-up show on the ride home. They replayed the call, Harlan did a solid job IMO.

good lord this place loves to complain, I guess when it's AI calling the game like robots some of you will finally be happy. I know, I know same as day 1 but back then it was Madden and now it's Romo getting the hate.

As regulation ticked down he said something like "You can take 2 shots at the end zone if you have 6 seconds left for the second shot." First shot left exactly 6 seconds left. Tony: "Gotta take the 3 here Jim, I would have taken a shot if he had 7 seconds left." No! You literally (and I do mean literally) just said you would take the shot if you had 6 seconds left!

And like Furley said, he tried to talk over Nantz' nice last play call there.

I like Romo's enthusiasm but yeah I'm starting to slant away from him.
Lol'd at this, turned to the guy next to me and said "Romo's a dope". Wasn't the first time during the broadcast either. Overall he's pretty likeable though.

Pretty sure half of the Romo Shark Pool thread was spent pointing out Romo gaffes IIRC. And that's from his playing days.

He learned a new word for the Super Bowl Broadcast. Leverage. I heard that word more last night then I have in my life.
Yes, but it's unfair to put that on Romo. Leverage was like the new buzz word all year for announcers and coaches. Must have been a point of emphasis in off season coaching clinics last year :lmao:
"Playing complementary football" is another one. I'd never heard this term, and I heard it all the time this season, more in college I think.

I was once a supporter, now I am not.

The word "inane" comes to mind more often than not now.
Yea I was a big supporter but am done. Last night killed me. At one point he carried on about how young the Chiefs defense was because there was only one starter still playing from the 2019 game against San Fran.

They were just in the Super Bowl last year! 12 Months ago! What does 2019 have to do with anything. Inane.

local radio is playing Kevin Harlan's call of the game winner and it's pretty good. nobody immediately steps in to talk over him.. his radio partner just lets Harlan handle the call in the way that Harlan does it

they juxtaposed that against the CBS tv call and it just shines a 100,000 watt light on how bad Romo bungled it
Harlan also had by far the best call of the Philly Special in Super Bowl 52. Michaels-Collinsworth was cringe and Philly radio play-by-play guy Merrill Reese misidentified who threw the pass.
poor 80 year old Merrill Reese catching strays :lol:

all i am gonna say is that we have gotten so effen old and get off my lawn around here hells bells some of the top threads right now are complaining about broadcasters asking how much you need to retire and asking for drywall finish tips i guess someone should start a favorite flavor of geritol thread and get er over with take that to the bank bromigos
I would keep my $ away from New York Community Bancorp.

Jim Nance has been getting a pass but some of his calls Sunday were less than great. Maybe working around Romo too long is messing him up.

Nantz was terrible all year. I have no idea what good letting Jim Nantz blather over the proceedings does. He has no idea about what the game is about. Has man crushes on the kickers. Now, Romo backtracks a lot and is a bit of a buffoon, but getting out of Jim Nantz' way is not an egregious broadcasting crime in the least.

Football is done and now Jim can go do the Masters where he actually isn't horrendous.

good lord this place loves to complain, I guess when it's AI calling the game like robots some of you will finally be happy. I know, I know same as day 1 but back then it was Madden and now it's Romo getting the hate.
Except that Madden didn't talk over Summerall. And he knew what he was talking about. And he didn't drift off to the Corona Hotline right in the middle of the game.

Last night may have been Romo’s worst game. I saw some highlights from the Nickelodeon broadcast on twitter today, and was kicking myself for not switching over. The only, and I mean only, thing of value that he contributed was his explanation about the clock near the end of the first OT.
That being said, Tirico or Buck wouldn’t have waited until the last 30 seconds to clear that up. Thats on Nantz.

He babbles and gushes. Wish he would talk less and let moments breathe. Vin Scully lessons would be good for him. He does some things very well. Describes defenses (zone vs man to man) when he sees tells, very good at clock management discussions (Mahomes should have spiked, Spagnola had to go for broke and get Mahomes back the ball one way or another - even if it meant a Niner TD). Just wish he picked his spots better. Thinks he’s paid by the word.
Yeah, needs to learn the time and place. After Hardman caught the touchdown, Nantz was going to let the moment breathe after his “Jackpot” line, and then Romo jumps in yelling about the “Andy Reid special” and breaking down the pre-snap motion.

This was the final straw for me. He definitely felt like he had to fill the silence. Starting babbling about how they didn't have Hardman then had to get him again.

Nantz was terrible all year. I have no idea what good letting Jim Nantz blather over the proceedings does. He has no idea about what the game is about. Has man crushes on the kickers. Now, Romo backtracks a lot and is a bit of a buffoon, but getting out of Jim Nantz' way is not an egregious broadcasting crime in the least.

Football is done and now Jim can go do the Masters where he actually isn't horrendous.
He does get really excited by kicks :lmao:

all i am gonna say is that we have gotten so effen old and get off my lawn around here hells bells some of the top threads right now are complaining about broadcasters asking how much you need to retire and asking for drywall finish tips i guess someone should start a favorite flavor of geritol thread and get er over with take that to the bank bromigos

I need some tomato plant tips, mine did not do very good last season. Anyone use epson salts and Miracle Grow??

I need some tomato plant tips, mine did not do very good last season. Anyone use epson salts and Miracle Grow??
My Polish grandma grew the best tomatoes.🍅 She would save used coffee grounds and use it as fertilizer, burying it around the plants. ☕

He learned a new word for the Super Bowl Broadcast. Leverage. I heard that word more last night then I have in my life.
Yes, but it's unfair to put that on Romo. Leverage was like the new buzz word all year for announcers and coaches. Must have been a point of emphasis in off season coaching clinics last year :lmao:

My Polish grandma grew the best tomatoes.🍅 She would save used coffee grounds and use it as fertilizer, burying it around the plants. ☕

Maybe I will "set the edge" of my plants with coffee grounds to give them better leverage! (y)

Maybe I will "set the edge" of my plants with coffee grounds to give them better leverage! (y)
Spatial awareness is key in good growing.

Last night may have been Romo’s worst game. I saw some highlights from the Nickelodeon broadcast on twitter today, and was kicking myself for not switching over. The only, and I mean only, thing of value that he contributed was his explanation about the clock near the end of the first OT.
That being said, Tirico or Buck wouldn’t have waited until the last 30 seconds to clear that up. Thats on Nantz.
his explanation of OT was not great. he seemed to have an overview of the rule but offered no detail. nor did Nantz. nor did... anyone... until the day after when people talked about they didn't understand the rule.

of course, contrarians popped up to say that they of course fully understood a rule that was only recently introduced, never previously used and not understood by one entire team and not even by the guy who caught the game winner.

Except that Madden didn't talk over Summerall. And he knew what he was talking about. And he didn't drift off to the Corona Hotline right in the middle of the game.
You must have forgotten the Madden hate, he was definitely criticized on this board for rambling on and drawing on the telestrator too much. Funny you think that Romo doesn't know what he is talking about...

You must have forgotten the Madden hate, he was definitely criticized on this board for rambling on and drawing on the telestrator too much. Funny you think that Romo doesn't know what he is talking about...
He's dead, Jim

He's dead, Jim
GENE.....GENE....CAN YOU CONFIRM THIS.......

I love Madden, but definitely understand how he was a bit of a buffoon. Especially towards the end of his run. He's the voice of the video games I always played as a kid though. He was always on during Thanksgiving at my grandparents growing up. Seeing highlights of him call games is just pure childhood nostalgia for me.

Why were you guys watching Romo and Nantz in the first place, did you not know about the vastly superior Nickelodeon broadcast?
i heard that Burleson and Eagle threw the call to Sponge Bob and Patrick periodically :lmao:
Regularly, even.

But IMO the clear highlight was Dora the Explorer coming on sometime in the the second quarter to offer to lend the teams her map to help them find the end zone.

Why were you guys watching Romo and Nantz in the first place, did you not know about the vastly superior Nickelodeon broadcast?
i heard that Burleson and Eagle threw the call to Sponge Bob and Patrick periodically :lmao:
Regularly, even.

But IMO the clear highlight was Dora the Explorer coming on sometime in the the second quarter to offer to lend the teams her map to help them find the end zone.
i'm going to start watching the Nick broadcast. this sounds brilliant.

It's hard to tell when he wanders off mid-thought. Or when he directly contradicts what he just said.

I never really had a problem with him but I guess I just wasn’t paying attention. Sunday evening I got the rare opportunity to watch the superbowl by myself in a hotel room. I was able to actually follow the entire broadcast. Romo was flat out awful. Maybe he choked or maybe he’s just always been that bad. Not sure - I hadn’t really paid attention.

I never really had a problem with him but I guess I just wasn’t paying attention. Sunday evening I got the rare opportunity to watch the superbowl by myself in a hotel room. I was able to actually follow the entire broadcast. Romo was flat out awful. Maybe he choked or maybe he’s just always been that bad. Not sure - I hadn’t really paid attention.
I was watching Andrew Siciliano over on the Red Zone channel. Bliss! No announcers of any sort.

I miss that show.

Users who are viewing this thread