What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Romo: Broadcaster (4 Viewers)

I'm thinking he's going to be really good at this with some time and practice.  I had no idea it was him early in the game but thought he was doing an ok job - was a little excitable but that seems like it would be natural with someone relatively new to it. 

2 snaps in "you can see the Packers are making a concerted effort to run the football tonight"

TWO SNAPS, TONY

later, adamantly repeats 11 times "that's a fumble, you can see it here.." then the refs say it's not a fumble  "well, that clearly wasn't a fumble"

err
While I did see that, I'm wondering if dry sarcasm is part of his shtick.  On one play, there was some obvious pass interference on an in route.  Defender had the receivers armed pinned down.  They showed the replay and he point it out (obvious observation, not trying to give him credit there).  Then when no flag comes, he say "well, it was a great play."

Romo is like a Labrador puppy in there. Jumping on Nantz' lap, panting with excitement, and the snap of the ball makes him run around in circles in the booth. During timeouts he sticks his head out of the window so the wind can blow through his hair and face.

Romo is like a Labrador puppy in there. Jumping on Nantz' lap, panting with excitement, and the snap of the ball makes him run around in circles in the booth. During timeouts he sticks his head out of the window so the wind can blow through his hair and face.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I found him entertaining.  Sure there were a couple things, like the fumble did it touch the bears foot or not, that got a little much.  But I liked his incite to the game and he gave a different perspective on a lot of things.

You can tell he's new to the broadcast booth as he repeated a lot of things or he had things scripted that he went to right away. But as he gets more games in he'll relax in there.  Some people in here are pissed that he isn't going to win an Emmy his first year.  Give him some time.  Its week 4. 

I'd much rather listen to him than 80% - 90% of the other options out there.  For sure he is an upgrade from Phil.  

"Watch Rodgers here, if the first read isn't open he's going to try and extend the play".

First read covered, Rodgers immediately scrambles and extends the play instead of checking down.
Much better than Phil Simms making the wrong call and then when the right play worked telling everyone how he agreed with the call.

Much better than Phil Simms making the wrong call and then when the right play worked telling everyone how he agreed with the call.
Romo did that several times last night

that was the one of the worst of Simms traits but Romo did it a half dozen times at least

Matt Millen used to be good. way back. 

best analyst going now, imo, is Collinsworth. from a pure aptitude for the job, rapport with his partner, knowledge, etc. no NFL analyst tops him.
You realize that Collinsworth started his broadcasting career around 1990. He has 27 years of experience.  Romo has 4 weeks of broadcasting experience.  Nobody here is claiming that Romo is the top of the food chain in NFL broadcasting yet.  However--in 4 weeks he's shown a lot of broadcasting strengths and he's also shown some areas that could use improvement.  Did you expect Romo to be as polished as Collinsworth 4 weeks in?   

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely watch football. And if I do, it is in a bar and not listening.

Tonight I watched it at home. Numerous times, found myself saying that "man, that guy is spot on and dropping some knowledge"

Had no idea who it was until just reading this thread

:thumbup:

He doesn't have a good broadcast voice. Not deep enough. 

But the insight he gives more than makes up for it.

I've liked him this year, but thought this game was pretty weak. I find my self thinking, "No duh," a lot.

I freaking HATE the Cowboys so expected to hate Romo as well.  Dude drops some knowledge, like him a lot.
He reminds me a little bit of Bill Raftery. Gets all excited, and by the time he finishes one of his long sentences it sounds like he's ready to push out a dump.

Left footed punters cause different spin on the ball. 

Who knew?
and proceeds to make a big deal out of how it's important because the return man probably had only fielded 2 left footed punts in his life or something.... before Nantz chimes in to say both teams have left footed punters. so, you know, he probably fields left footed punts daily. literally hundreds of times.

his playcalling acumen is a big exaggerated. when he calls out three possibilities on every snap... "they're going to throw the out cut here, or zone read or go deep to the tight end..." and it's a screen.

kind of getting old

The incessant (incorrect) predicting is crazy annoying.

(Marks the screen)

"This guy is coming!"

(Guy follows back in motion)

(Marks screen again)

"THIS guy is coming now!"

(Guy backs off into coverage)

"That was a blown assignment!"

The incessant (incorrect) predicting is crazy annoying.

(Marks the screen)

"This guy is coming!"

(Guy follows back in motion)

(Marks screen again)

"THIS guy is coming now!"

(Guy backs off into coverage)

"That was a blown assignment!"
I love this kind of thing.  

Users who are viewing this thread