What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Romo: Broadcaster (2 Viewers)

since he was on a national call yesterday, how many people actually watched the game and aren't just parroting what they heard someone else say?

Romo was so far off on most of his "predictions" and guesses that it was embarrassing.

he called out obvious things like "the Bengals are in a 7 man front here" and "the Packers have 2 tight ends in, they'll probably run the ball".  great. thanks?

i think it was Dan Patrick last week, or the week before, who said "just give me a bold take. don't hem and haw.. just have an opinion and say it". that's what it felt like with Romo yesterday. no matter what, he was going to say something and have conviction.  that's all that people care about anymore. just throw a hot take out there and back it.

Simms was bad and his time was rightfully up but let's not go crazy with "Romo is already the greatest of all time" because he sounds excited and makes some sound effects.

Biggest surprise in this thread is that people actually like Collinsworth.
Chris Collinsowrth insight: "Al there's 10 seconds left in this ball game and the Packers are only down by 11 points.  That's PLENTY of time for Arron Rogers to lead this team into FG territory - recover an onsides kick and drive for a TD."

Chris Collinsowrth insight: "Al there's 10 seconds left in this ball game and the Packers are only down by 11 points.  That's PLENTY of time for Arron Rogers to lead this team into FG territory - recover an onsides kick and drive for a TD."
i mean, he's not wrong :shrug:  

HE'S AARON ####### RODGERS

I only saw a few minutes of the game yesterday, and it was my first take of Romo.  I thought, all in all, he was pretty good.  He definitely delves into more detail than others, even if some of it is obvious.  While some may say "well duh" to some of his observations, his breakdown of when to call timeouts was refreshingly different in its analysis over the standard guys who are just making observations of what just happened, instead of actually analyzing what a team might be thinking.

The only thing that bothered me was I found it a little amateurish for him to be trying to direct the action on the field.  He was saying "come on Aaron, get the ball snapped!  Let's go, you have to get one more play off here!"  That bothered me a little, but after just a quick listen, I'd rather have him going than just about anyone else.

The only thing that bothered me was I found it a little amateurish for him to be trying to direct the action on the field.  He was saying "come on Aaron, get the ball snapped!  Let's go, you have to get one more play off here!"  That bothered me a little, but after just a quick listen, I'd rather have him going than just about anyone else.
Yeah,  I thought this part was pretty bad.  Very unprofessional.

Yesterday was the first time I had caught him so far. He's fine I guess. Something different and he's a likable guy, so I'm ok with him. As someone who doesn't really understand the X's and O's very well (having never played football past like 7th grade) I can dig some of the additional breakdown that he does.

He'll get better.

And who's the broad calling the Colts/Browns game?

Her voice is annoying.
Ugh, she is SOOOOOO annoying. I get it.....nobody else on TV wants to be sexist and say it, but having a woman call games is distracting and hurts the broadcast. She may be knowledgeable (again, I don't know THAT MUCH about football, so it wouldn't be fair to comment on that piece) but having a female voice (especially a shrill voice like hers) is just not good. If I was a married guy that uses football as a weekly 3 hour escape from a nagging wife, I'd be LIVID if I turned on the game and had to listen to that.  I'm a much bigger basketball fan, and every time I turn on a college game and see that Doris Burke is on the mic, it pretty much instantly ruins my night. And of course, everyone falls all over themselves about how she's "a true pro" and "one of the best in the business" when in reality, she's just a competent broadcaster who knows more about the game than the average casual  viewer. She clearly understands the game, but she basically just states super-obvious stuff that any hard core basketball fan just considers common knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, she is SOOOOOO annoying. I get it.....nobody else on TV wants to be sexist and say it, but having a woman call games is distracting and hurts the broadcast. She may be knowledgeable (again, I don't know THAT MUCH about football, so it wouldn't be fair to comment on that piece) but having a female voice (especially a shrill voice like hers) is just not good. If I was a married guy that uses football as a weekly 3 hour escape from a nagging wife, I'd be LIVID if I turned on the game and had to listen to that.  I'm a much bigger basketball fan, and every time I turn on a college game and see that Doris Burke is on the mic, it pretty much instantly ruins my night. And of course, everyone falls all over themselves about how she's "a true pro" and "one of the best in the business" when in reality, she's just a competent broadcaster who knows more about the game than the average casual  viewer. She clearly understands the game, but she basically just states super-obvious stuff that any hard core basketball fan just considers common knowledge.
This was Madden for 20 years.  I couldn't believe how much people liked him before he got to the point of being a character.  Even when he was viewed as the best in the business, he just stated the most basic concepts.

Just like you can push the SAP button to hear the broadcast in spanish, I wish the had a "hard core fan" button where you could hear people who cater to the wonk.  The traditional broadcasts (for logical reasons) cater to the casual fan.  I wish there was an option for hard core fans.

He is good, although his voice sounds raspy, like he will be heading to IR with a worn vocal chord by mid season.

This was Madden for 20 years.  I couldn't believe how much people liked him before he got to the point of being a character.  Even when he was viewed as the best in the business, he just stated the most basic concepts.

Just like you can push the SAP button to hear the broadcast in spanish, I wish the had a "hard core fan" button where you could hear people who cater to the wonk.  The traditional broadcasts (for logical reasons) cater to the casual fan.  I wish there was an option for hard core fans.
Sign me up for that.  Here's why you can't run a flat pattern on the goal line...the defender gets his left hand up under the pad here and crosses up his feet...

Madden was an idiot. I always hated how he would point out that it was like they had an extra timeout because the clock stops at the change of possession. Such a stupid point to make. No john, it isnt like an extra timeout. Just like how scoring a td isnt like having an extra timeout because the clock stops when you kick the extra point. 

I only saw a few minutes of the game yesterday, and it was my first take of Romo.  I thought, all in all, he was pretty good.  He definitely delves into more detail than others, even if some of it is obvious.  While some may say "well duh" to some of his observations, his breakdown of when to call timeouts was refreshingly different in its analysis over the standard guys who are just making observations of what just happened, instead of actually analyzing what a team might be thinking.

I would agree with this.  I also didn't understand his take on the Packers are going to struggle with a short turnaround this week after playing in the heat.  Um the Bears played in Chicago at noon during the hottest part of the day.  Both teams will be dealing with that on Thurs.

I would agree with this.  I also didn't understand his take on the Packers are going to struggle with a short turnaround this week after playing in the heat.  Um the Bears played in Chicago at noon during the hottest part of the day.  Both teams will be dealing with that on Thurs.
Bears have to travel, too!! C'mon!!

didn't someone try this? an alternate "hardcore fan" broadcast?

did i imagine that?

He's fantastic. I like when he called out the blitz today that not even Andy Dalton saw. 

If you're complaining about him you are just looking for a reason to be annoyed. 
Agree completely with Cappy, and as a Cowboys honk I did have some occasional frustrations with Tony over the years.  But I always thought he was a nice guy and a terrific person who never forgot his humble upbringings, and that tremendous personality has shone through on air so far along with some top-shelf analysis.  And he's all of three regular season games into his career!  Bonus - he has completely rejuvenated Nantz.  "Color" me pretty darn impressed with Tony.  

Yeah,  I thought this part was pretty bad.  Very unprofessional.

Yesterday was the first time I had caught him so far. He's fine I guess. Something different and he's a likable guy, so I'm ok with him. As someone who doesn't really understand the X's and O's very well (having never played football past like 7th grade) I can dig some of the additional breakdown that he does.

He'll get better.

Probably should have stopped with (paraphrasing) "nobody wants to say this because it's sexist."  

Is Romo doing the game tonight?  I don't watch enough football to recognize announcer voices.

2 snaps in "you can see the Packers are making a concerted effort to run the football tonight"

TWO SNAPS, TONY

later, adamantly repeats 11 times "that's a fumble, you can see it here.." then the refs say it's not a fumble  "well, that clearly wasn't a fumble"

err

One dumb ramble on the punt touch, but other than that he's been great.

It's funny, all anyone ever complains about is announcers babbling on about nothing and not giving enough football substance.  Then someone comes in like Collinsworth or Romo who break down formations, correctly predict plays, point out important players just before they get the ball, offer good insight (like his conversations with Witten in the huddle about route depth) and people just complain twice as much.

I expect girlfriends who don't really care about football to complain about him.  He should be right up the alley of people around here.

One dumb ramble on the punt touch, but other than that he's been great.

It's funny, all anyone ever complains about is announcers babbling on about nothing and not giving enough football substance.  Then someone comes in like Collinsworth or Romo who break down formations, correctly predict plays, point out important players just before they get the ball, offer good insight (like his conversations with Witten in the huddle about route depth) and people just complain twice as much.

I expect girlfriends who don't really care about football to complain about him.  He should be right up the alley of people around here.
the only insight he has given so far tonight is Fangio not giving QB's a pre-snap read

other than that he has incorrectly argued for a fumble that didn't happen, predicted that Fox would punt .. then immediately changed his mind when it was evident that the Bears were going for it... and talked way, way, too much.

oh, and he stepped all over Nantz trying to explain that the Lambeau Leap has been grandfathered in at Lambeau

that's been covered.... hundreds of times

WOW! HE REALLY PREDICTED THAT TIMEOUT! I COULD NOT HAVE SEEN THAT COMING!

G.O.A.T.
We get it. You're not a big fan.   You do realize that these play to play guys have to appeal to people that might not know the game as well as a bunch of hardcore fantasy football players do?  He has to call it so that young kids understand it, elderly people that might not process things as quickly, blind people that might not be able to see how close the clock is coming to halftime?    This attempt to cater to every fan is why most broadcasters come across as being "captain obvious" or annoying to hardcore fans like us.  The guy is a rookie at being a commentator.  Let's give him a chance before disecting every little thing that you think he sucks at. 

the only insight he has given so far tonight is Fangio not giving QB's a pre-snap read

other than that he has incorrectly argued for a fumble that didn't happen, predicted that Fox would punt .. then immediately changed his mind when it was evident that the Bears were going for it... and talked way, way, too much.
Give me a break.

Pointed out the fake pick play on the Cobb TD where every other announcer always just assumes it's a slant.  Highlighted Cobb's block on the 1st TD.  Pointed out what happened on the fumbled snap (Glennon signalling for the snap but thinking the center hadn't seen it) where most announcers just go OMG WHAT HAPPENED THERE.  Pointed out formations and player's reads on plays that led to a turnover.  Gave great insight on the 8 yard hitch on 3rd and 10, noting that in those scenarios as the QB he would explicitly tell the WR in the huddle to extend the route beyond the 1st down line.

And a million other things.  It's good stuff.  I'm sorry that he's no rattling off some rumbling bumbling stumbling catch phrase or getting so excited that his words just come out as a stream of babble like John Madden.  Maybe those are more up your alley.

We get it. You're not a big fan.   You do realize that these play to play guys have to appeal to people that might not know the game as well as a bunch of hardcore fantasy football players do?  He has to call it so that young kids understand it, elderly people that might not process things as quickly, blind people that might not be able to see how close the clock is coming to halftime?    This attempt to cater to every fan is why most broadcasters come across as being "captain obvious" or annoying to hardcore fans like us.  The guy is a rookie at being a commentator.  Let's give him a chance before disecting every little thing that you think he sucks at. 
he's terrible

thanks for noticing

Give me a break.

Pointed out the fake pick play on the Cobb TD where every other announcer always just assumes it's a slant.  Highlighted Cobb's block on the 1st TD.  Pointed out what happened on the fumbled snap (Glennon signalling for the snap but thinking the center hadn't seen it) where most announcers just go OMG WHAT HAPPENED THERE.  Pointed out formations and player's reads on plays that led to a turnover.  Gave great insight on the 8 yard hitch on 3rd and 10, noting that in those scenarios as the QB he would explicitly tell the WR in the huddle to extend the route beyond the 1st down line.

And a million other things.  It's good stuff.  I'm sorry that he's no rattling off some rumbling bumbling stumbling catch phrase or getting so excited that his words just come out as a stream of babble like John Madden.  Maybe those are more up your alley.
"this is actually really common, it happens a lot"

snapping a ball off the QB's knee and him kicking it forward is common?

he just predicted that Fox would let the Packers have the first since the Packers would kick a FG anyways.. then backtracked immediately when the flag came out

"this is actually really common, it happens a lot"

snapping a ball off the QB's knee and him kicking it forward is common?
:lmao:  He was talking about the ball being snapped when the QB wasn't ready for the snap.

Btw I could almost hear you warming up your keyboard when Romo was calling bootleg on 4th and 1.  Too bad he was dead on again and even pointed out the tell that gave it away. 

Last edited by a moderator:
"Watch Rodgers here, if the first read isn't open he's going to try and extend the play".

First read covered, Rodgers immediately scrambles and extends the play instead of checking down.

:lmao:  He was talking about the ball being snapped when the QB wasn't ready for the snap.

Btw I could almost hear you warming up your keyboard when Romo was calling bootleg on 4th and 1.  Too bad he was dead on again and even pointed out the tell that gave it away. 
it's almost like he's watching a football game and seeing things that everyone else can see

"Watch Rodgers here, if the first read isn't open he's going to try and extend the play".

First read covered, Rodgers immediately scrambles and extends the play instead of checking down.
"watch Rodgers here, he's got a run pass option. if he doesn't hand it off he's going to run and if they pressure him he's going to move around and throw the ball."

GENIUS!

it's like he has watched football.. or studied the Packers.  

"watch for Rodgers to run or throw here.. if he throws it, it will be to the sideline or deep or over the middle to a receiver or a tight end. and if no one is open he's going to try to run or throw it away"

:lmao:

Within two minutes he literally called a bootleg right before a play where they ran a bootleg, called a Rodgers scramble right before a play where Rodgers scrambled, and called a screen pass right before a play where they ran a screen pass.

I've been here more than a decade and this is officially the worst conversation I've ever had with anyone on this board so I'm going to go ahead and move along.  I'm not sure what Tony Romo did to you in a prior life to give you this giant bone to pick, but I hope you enjoy your life of hating everything.

:lmao:

Within two minutes he literally called a bootleg right before a play where they ran a bootleg, called a Rodgers scramble right before a play where Rodgers scrambled, and called a screen pass right before a play where they ran a screen pass.

I've been here more than a decade and this is officially the worst conversation I've ever had with anyone on this board so I'm going to go ahead and move along.  I'm not sure what Tony Romo did to you in a prior life to give you this giant bone to pick, but I hope you enjoy your life of hating everything.
It's really weird. Guy is universally loved doing this job. Biggest hit of the season and furley acts like he took a dump at mid-field. 

Romo needs to relax and let the game flow a little.  Seems to hyped up to try and predict the next play.  I don`t want to know what the next play is.

Romo needs to relax and let the game flow a little.  Seems to hyped up to try and predict the next play.  I don`t want to know what the next play is.
this guy nailed it:

"Romo sounds like me when I take a couple too many pain pills. Just doesn’t seem to have a firm grasp on how to string meaningful words together in a coherent way. But like he knows he should say something so he just goes with it."

Users who are viewing this thread