What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Romo (1 Viewer)

As a fantasy option, I still think he is one of the better choices around. NFL, maybe not so much.

Bad games happen in fantasy football. Brees didn't exactly tear it up today either. He had one garbage td.

Throw out the week he was playing with broken ribs, and he has been top 10 in my league. Around 7 or 8, I believe.

To be fair, the whole team didn't look ready to play tonight. I don't know how your don't "show up" for such a big division game in prime time, but the Cowboys did it. Well done, Jason Garrett.

Throw out the week he was playing with broken ribs, and he has been top 10 in my league. Around 7 or 8, I believe.
The game he played with broken ribs was actually one of his better performances.Romo was a guy you could usually wait for in later rounds, letting others stretch for Brady, Vick, Brees and Rodgers to snag better value at other skill positions. Romo used to be dependable to give you production of a Top 5 QB and you could usually snag him in the 4th.This has been a pretty weak year for Dallas overall, and though they have a decent schedule coming up, Romo can't be depended upon for consistent performance. I would highly doubt that Romo is a contributing factor to a lot of fantasy wins for teams this year, regardless of league parameters.I don't think you can outright cut him, and his trade value -- especially after tonight -- isn't going to net you anything special. But I would imagine that most GMs with Romo have been thinking hard about the matchups their QB2 will have.I know I will be (and have in past weeks) with Sanchez.

The game he played with broken ribs was actually one of his better performances.
I may be wrong, but I think the Redskins game was the one immediately after the injury. The Lions game was two weeks after it.I know I benched him for Sanchez two weeks in a row because of it. The first week it was a smart decision, the second week it burned me.

You never cut the cord on a top ~10 QB. If you have a better option great, but if you drafted Romo you probably don't have a better option unless you got Cam Newton as well. Fantasy-wise, he is still top 10 (although did not look like it tonight, but you can't argue with his stats YTD).

NFL-wise I am worried Dallas might decide to dump him at some point but that would be more of a dynasty concern as I highly doubt that would happen this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine cutting him in a league of any size and him not being immediately Picked up. he had a bad week. Brady had a bad week. Breed had a bad week. But over the course of the season, I can't imagine he is not a top 7-8 qb option going into an y given week. The weapons on the team can produce.

Coming from a Cowboys fan I can honestly say he doesn't have the goods. He is the prime example of inconsistency. I don't want that from my QB1. I have traded him off and moved him to QB2 in the 2 leagues I have him in. Jones will start looking to go a new direction after another underachieving season at QB. The downhill slide to mediocrity has begun.

I'm not worried at all. In fact, he is the only QB I'm rostering since his bye.

Today he went up against a defense that is playing significantly better the last few games. In their house. Coming off a bye.

Cut the cord lol. I love these threads every Sunday/Monday. Keeps the front page full of entertaining nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
'solorca said:
'Stompin said:
'solorca said:
The game he played with broken ribs was actually one of his better performances.
I may be wrong, but I think the Redskins game was the one immediately after the injury. The Lions game was two weeks after it.I know I benched him for Sanchez two weeks in a row because of it. The first week it was a smart decision, the second week it burned me.
Yes indeed you are correct. But every QB is having a great game against the stink-skins

Romo didn't let the team get down by 21. He hit the TE perfectly on the pick. He had the team down inside the 30 only to be pushed back by penalty. They were down 21-0 before he even got the chance to get into a rhythm.

What's the backup plan? Yeah, didn't think there was one. I could name 15 teams that would cut or bench their current QB for this guy. That being said, I always start one of my D's when they play Romo. He's good for sacks and INT's.

In my league, he is currently the #11 QB, and only four of the guys ahead of him have had their bye. He's still a QB1 for fantasy purposes, even though you aren't getting the high end QB1 performance many of us hoped for when we drafted him.

He was the 7th QB off the board in my league, and I think I'll get back about that level of a performance.

Fantasy wise he is worth holding onto, but as an NFL QB I have doubts. I suppose it may be how he is being coached, but Romo seems quite willing to let the defense dictate his targets. On a regular basis you can watch him look over the coverage and after the snap he will ignore half the field based on his pre-snap read. The problem comes when the defense was disguising it's true coverage, Romo seems unwilling or unable to adjust during the play if he misread the coverage pre-snap. At this point you usually see him try and force the ball to Witten no matter how blanketed in coverage he is at the time. There were several examples last night of the Eagles showing double on Austin or Bryant pre-snap, at which point Romo would not even look their way. The Eagles did not actually have to double Austin or Bryant on those plays because once Tony made his read pre-snap he didn't even look back.

Can you imagine Manning saying, "Looks like they are going to double Harrison all night, I guess he won't get any targets"? The Cowboy defense did not do Romo any favors last night, but the game was over by the time Austin and Bryant had a combined 5 targets.

Targets last night:

Witten - 12 (4 catches for 28 yards, and yet Romo keeps going to back to the well)

Robinson - 8

Bryant - 5 (all in garbage time)

Austin - 3

Murray - 3

Tanner - 2

Bennett - 1

Romo has been a little inconsistent this year, mainly due to Romo getting nicked up and Austin and Dez missing significant time. Last night's game was going to be one of DAL's toughest.....PHI on the road coming off of a bye.

Agree that Romo isn't a great NFL QB, but I like his fantasy prospects for the rest of the year. DAL's schedule is very favorable. SEA, BUF, @WAS, MIA, @AZ, NYG, @TB, PHI. With the exception of PHI, not one really good pass D.

He still should be a top 10 QB going forward.

Did Miles Austin always line up in the slot or is this a change made due to Larent Robinson?? I thought Austin and Bryant were very under used last night. I don't know if it was play calling, coverage, bad reads, or not enough time to get down-field due to pressure. I noticed a lot of short patterns out of the slot for Austin though, which didn't make sense to me.

AFAIK he's still taking pain injections... he's probably not 100%. The offense just looks generally confused and ill prepared... Anyone who drafted him in the 4th-5th is probably regretting it. I happened to get him late in the 8th round so it's liveable for me (though I passed on Stafford for him.) I wouldn't be shocked if Jason Garret gets the axe if they don't make the playoffs this season. Such an explosive offense (in theory) just continues to underachieve.

Users who are viewing this thread