What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

“Use His Legs” (1 Viewer)

satch

Footballguy
It seems announcers, Tony Romo tonight for example, are unaware that we have a word for the act of a QB using his legs. It’s called, “running.” Yet, they consistently opt for the phrase “use/using his legs” rather than “run/running.”

Please make it stop.

Joe Namath had pretty legs during those Noxema shave cream commercials. Or was it a pantyhose commercial?

Last edited:
Romo is bad though. Crazy, seems he went from beloved to annoying in a 2yr stint.
People liked that he was guessing some plays as they happened and he decided it meant he should jabber constantly. A lot of commentators struggle with letting the game breathe, but Romo tries to strangle it with a pillow of BS.

You guys get about 7 years more of Romo and he's taking that to the BANK!

It seems announcers, Tony Romo tonight for example, are unaware that we have a word for the act of a QB using his legs. It’s called, “running.” Yet, they consistently opt for the phrase “use/using his legs” rather than “run/running.”

Please make it stop.
There's a difference between designed runs, RPO, and simply rolling a guy out of the pocket. "Running" only describes the first of these, but "using his legs" encompasses all of them.

Please make it stop.
There's a difference between designed runs, RPO, and simply rolling a guy out of the pocket. "Running" only describes the first of these, but "using his legs" encompasses all of them.
Say what now? Explain why “using his legs” is the logical choice for the scenarios you listed. I’m not claiming “running” is always the best choice, but “uses his legs” never is. Which one makes more sense.

“Josh Allen rolls out right.”
“Josh Allen uses his legs”

Please make it stop.
Say what now? Explain why “using his legs” is the logical choice for the scenarios you listed. I’m not claiming “running” is always the best choice, but “uses his legs” never is. Which one makes more sense.

In the specific context of the Bills, when people talk about using Allen's legs, they mean both getting him out of the pocket and also running for positive yardage.

Please make it stop.

In the specific context of the Bills, when people talk about using Allen's legs, they mean both getting him out of the pocket and also running for positive yardage.
Sounds like you’re referring to “mobility” or “running ability.”

“Use/uses/using his legs” sounds like something a doofus would say when they don’t have the vocabulary to speak more concisely.

Was looking for the "annoying things commentators say" thread so I could link it here. THat's how I found the old thread which seems like a moderator has deleted now.

Romo is only half as annoying as Greg Olsen so there's that

I like Olsen. Olsen and Romo both. They're fine. Guys on the fourth or fifth broadcast of the networks are uber ****ty. Those are the guys I can't stand.
It's not even that I don't like them or think they don't know their stuff, but both need to learn that every second doesn't have to be filled. Like being around my ex-wife at times.

Simply crying about the ex-wife. Sorry about that. Most of us have exes that make us cringe when we think about them. You're not alone in having golden silence ruined by someone.

There was a play later in the game where Josh Allen escaped a collapsing pocket and had a nice run up the middle for a first down. Or as Tony Romo put it, Josh Allen “showed off his legs.”

Remember “Watch his feet”?
Unfortunately
Paul McGuire if memory serves

Theismann
I’m pretty sure McGuire coined the phrase, or at least that’s what others talked about here.

Theismann was always talking about watching the QBs feet, even said one time on-air that he had a "foot fetish."
This was different. McGuire talking about RBs mostly.

Last edited:
Remember “Watch his feet”?
Unfortunately
Paul McGuire if memory serves

Theismann
I’m pretty sure McGuire coined the phrase, or at least that’s what others talked about here.

Theismann was always talking about watching the QBs feet, even said one time on-air that he had a "foot fetish."
This was different
Sure was. I recall this one time, McGuire suspected viewers were ignoring his pleas, and after one particularly nifty Tiki Barber run he exclaimed with great furor, “For the love of Christ I’ll damn you all to hell if you don’t watch his feet!!!!!”

Followed by 10 seconds of awkward silence and an unplanned commercial break.

Last edited:
You know who I really enjoyed this postseason as a game analyst?

Jason Garrett

Totally different guy than when he's in the studio. I probably learned at least one new thing in each broadcast with him that I didn't know before. Underrated in my opinion. Would love to have him on Sunday Night Football instead of Collinsworth.

Jason Garrett

Totally different guy than when he's in the studio. I probably learned at least one new thing in each broadcast with him that I didn't know before. Underrated in my opinion. Would love to have him on Sunday Night Football instead of Collinsworth.
Not sure who it was on this board, but they likened Garrett to a "unsalted Saltine cracker" in terms of how dry and boring he was. :lol:

Jason Garrett

Not sure who it was on this board, but they likened Garrett to a "unsalted Saltine cracker" in terms of how dry and boring he was. :lol:
He’s likable

Simply crying about the ex-wife. Sorry about that. Most of us have exes that make us cringe when we think about them. You're not alone in having golden silence ruined by someone.
I got it 😎

She wasn’t the ex-wife from hell, but she definitely wasn’t the “enjoy the zen” type of woman.

Jason Garrett

Wow, I thought the exact opposite. I thought he said the most basic and obvious things over and over again with no real insight. I thought he was terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread