What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tool - Lateralus and other albums (5 Viewers)

I feel like the worst tool fan, but nothing post Aenima really did it for me. The first 3 CDs were good, but who has time to listen to Lateralus, the songs just meander on forever. I think undertow might be my favorite. For more good tool like action, Puscifer has some pretty good songs. Much more similar sounding to Tool than APC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Songs like Rosetta Stoned (10,000 Days) have a great sense of dynamics. Carey is a freaking ambidextrous octopus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uytWxYKSupI
I'm not a drummer but I've heard drummer friends say that this is the hardest Tool song to play due to the polyrhythmic sections that require playing different drums/cymbals in different time signatures simultaneously. It makes my head spin just thinking about it. 

Right in Two is supposedly another rough one because there's an intricate tabla drum solo in the middle of the song that requires a completely different style of drumming, more like bongo playing. 

How did you like that album overall?
Great. Listened through most of Right in Two - I need to exchange their only used copy for a new one, this track was scratched/skipped repeatedly. Definitely enough to want to check out the other three albums (Lateralus, Aenima, Undertow) and the new one when it comes out. In some ways, they remind me of King Crimson (if they had been metal).   

hehe

look at the new guy buying into a new Tool album article
I did hear they have had a penchant in the past for bamboozling fans/media (early on to thwart, circumvent file swapping sites?), so I should have mentioned this should be taken with a boulder sized grain of salt. Carey also "confirmed" while filling in drums for the Seth Meyers band last week (the reminder of which kind of prompted this thread in the first place).

Sounds like they have an upcoming show in Sacramento, and there is a partial new song live embedded in the above article. 

I still can’t believe it’ll be on streaming :megaboner:
I still can't believe people still like this band. I never got into them nor see or understand the hype. Maynard is an absolute ##### to fans and media too and needs to be called out on his behavior more. Not a fan of that sort of behavior. Also because of similar behavior and then comments from Gene Simmons specifically and Paul Stanley no longer a big KISS Supporter. Had a chance to see their show in Philly in February and chose not to go. Friend wanted to go and said this might be my final chance. Yeah people said that 20 or so yrs ago. They'll be playing 10 yrs from now while Gene makes stupid comments 

I still can't believe people still like this band. I never got into them nor see or understand the hype. Maynard is an absolute ##### to fans and media too and needs to be called out on his behavior more. Not a fan of that sort of behavior. Also because of similar behavior and then comments from Gene Simmons specifically and Paul Stanley no longer a big KISS Supporter. Had a chance to see their show in Philly in February and chose not to go. Friend wanted to go and said this might be my final chance. Yeah people said that 20 or so yrs ago. They'll be playing 10 yrs from now while Gene makes stupid comments 
What type of behavior and comments are you talking about? 

Regardless, I dont really care how artists act.  I care if I like the music or not.  I assume a good % of musicians would be asses.  

I might be more excited about the streaming news.  Pumped for a new album, but Tool is one of the last bands holding out of this format that I notice and miss not having access to.  
No doubt.  2 weeks ago I was searching Spotify for them (I periodically did that every 6 months or so) with my fingers crossed.  No luck, so I did what I normally do, played some Perfect Circle instead.    

What type of behavior and comments are you talking about? 

Regardless, I dont really care how artists act.  I care if I like the music or not.  I assume a good % of musicians would be asses.  
The whole how he thinks he's superior to everyone act the whole carrying Business cards that use to say Jesus H Christ just yells hey look at me. He acts inferiror to everyone and basically ####s on anyone who has a difference of opinion. He's incredible reclusive to people which I think hurts relationship with fans but talking-to many Tool fans they get really defensive about these things. I just do not like the way he carrier himself in the way he does. The dude literally wanted nothing to do with Tool or the fans and they simple fell for his bull#### again. Hey I'm glad the fans are getting their album they waited what 15 yrs or so for? But it comes with supporting a clown that basically told the band and fans to F off all these yrs. Not sure if I was a fan I could really support that. He called you guys insufferable and ####### yet you continue to support him? He reminds me of a co worker of mine. He's intelligent but comes off yeah I'm smarter then you so I can talk down to you. 

If you are asking about KISS Comments I feel Paul ####s on Ace and Eric and Peter etc routinely. He's very cocky. Gene made some comments about suicde and people with addiction that came off as "hey look I'm edgy" and were disrespectful to guys like Chester Bennington and Chris Cornell's deaths and depression, comments on Islam and saying Rock is dead. A lot of stuff I disagree with. It wasn't just about disagreeing with him but the way he went on commenting about it was in a very disrespectful manner. 

There is a few musicians who are doucy and asses but I listen to purely Rock/Metal/Sleaze from Europe. The bands who have come to America are so much nicer to the fans to then their American counter parts who act like their #### don't stink and couldn't bother with fans. I'd put most of the bands from Europe I listen to against the bands in the US not named Slayer, Metallica, etc and have multiple people listen to them and probably say wow this European stuff is way better then what the Americans are advertising. There's some cool American bands who are great with fans. Local band here in Philly HaleStorm is awesome. My buddy from college his mom works at the Tower Theatre (same place Thin Lizzy Live in Philly album was recorded and one of Bruce Springsteens first live shows outside of NJ was) and we would get to go backstage and stuff. I've met some incredible artist. Thanks to their partnerships I've gone to other venues for shows for free or simple pay the tax of the ticket. However theres a few asses here and there. I got to go to the MegaDeath show with my co worker 20yrs older then me and met the band backstage. I use to think Mustaine was a complete douch who was always mad he didn't get to stay in Metallica but after meeting him he's a pretty awesome dude. As this pertains to Maynard he just seems like that guy at work who's all about the paycheck and nothing more. Just give me my dam money I worked for and let me leave. I guess I just can't figure out why people still support a guy who calls some bad stuff yet you run like sheep when the first album in years comes out. Personally If I was a fan I'd tell him to go shove it burn all my stuff from the band and say sorry I'll respect you when you respect me more. I'm also not trying to cause a fight just trying to understand how people can still support this ignorant clown. I've actually met the guy so saying this from experience but he has that whole I'm better then you attitude. So again why still support a guy who ####s on his fans? 

The whole how he thinks he's superior to everyone act the whole carrying Business cards that use to say Jesus H Christ just yells hey look at me. He acts inferiror to everyone and basically ####s on anyone who has a difference of opinion. He's incredible reclusive to people which I think hurts relationship with fans but talking-to many Tool fans they get really defensive about these things. I just do not like the way he carrier himself in the way he does. The dude literally wanted nothing to do with Tool or the fans and they simple fell for his bull#### again. Hey I'm glad the fans are getting their album they waited what 15 yrs or so for? But it comes with supporting a clown that basically told the band and fans to F off all these yrs. Not sure if I was a fan I could really support that. He called you guys insufferable and ####### yet you continue to support him? He reminds me of a co worker of mine. He's intelligent but comes off yeah I'm smarter then you so I can talk down to you. 

If you are asking about KISS Comments I feel Paul ####s on Ace and Eric and Peter etc routinely. He's very cocky. Gene made some comments about suicde and people with addiction that came off as "hey look I'm edgy" and were disrespectful to guys like Chester Bennington and Chris Cornell's deaths and depression, comments on Islam and saying Rock is dead. A lot of stuff I disagree with. It wasn't just about disagreeing with him but the way he went on commenting about it was in a very disrespectful manner. 

There is a few musicians who are doucy and asses but I listen to purely Rock/Metal/Sleaze from Europe. The bands who have come to America are so much nicer to the fans to then their American counter parts who act like their #### don't stink and couldn't bother with fans. There's some cool American bands who are great with fans. Local band here in Philly HaleStorm is awesome. My buddy from college his mom works at the Tower Theatre (same place Thin Lizzy Live in Philly album was recorded and one of Bruce Springsteens first live shows outside of NJ was) and we would get to go backstage and stuff. I've met some incredible artist. However theres a few asses here and there. As this pertains to Maynard he just seems like that guy at work who's all about the paycheck and nothing more. Just give me my dam money I worked for and let me leave. I guess I just can't figure out why people still support a guy who calls some bad stuff yet you run like sheep when the first album in years comes out. Personally If I was a fan I'd tell him to go shove it burn all my stuff from the band and say sorry I'll respect you when you respect me more. I'm also not trying to cause a fight just trying to understand how people can still support this ignorant clown. 
🤷‍♂️.  I don’t know him personally so I don’t take his actions personally.  As for the supporting him part, he provides a service (making music) and I pay for that service so I get my money’s worth.   

There is a few musicians who are doucy and asses but I listen to purely Rock/Metal/Sleaze from Europe. The bands who have come to America are so much nicer to the fans to then their American counter parts who act like their #### don't stink and couldn't bother with fans. I'd put most of the bands from Europe I listen to against the bands in the US not named Slayer, Metallica, etc and have multiple people listen to them and probably say wow this European stuff is way better then what the Americans are advertising. There's some cool American bands who are great with fans. Local band here in Philly HaleStorm is awesome. My buddy from college his mom works at the Tower Theatre (same place Thin Lizzy Live in Philly album was recorded and one of Bruce Springsteens first live shows outside of NJ was) and we would get to go backstage and stuff. I've met some incredible artist. Thanks to their partnerships I've gone to other venues for shows for free or simple pay the tax of the ticket. However theres a few asses here and there. I got to go to the MegaDeath show with my co worker 20yrs older then me and met the band backstage. I use to think Mustaine was a complete douch who was always mad he didn't get to stay in Metallica but after meeting him he's a pretty awesome dude. As this pertains to Maynard he just seems like that guy at work who's all about the paycheck and nothing more. Just give me my dam money I worked for and let me leave. I guess I just can't figure out why people still support a guy who calls some bad stuff yet you run like sheep when the first album in years comes out. Personally If I was a fan I'd tell him to go shove it burn all my stuff from the band and say sorry I'll respect you when you respect me more. I'm also not trying to cause a fight just trying to understand how people can still support this ignorant clown. I've actually met the guy so saying this from experience but he has that whole I'm better then you attitude. So again why still support a guy who ####s on his fans? 
Maynard doesn't "hate" all Tool fans--he hates fans that feel like they are entitled to more than the music and merchandise the he and the band create and provide. He's said it many times--he's not there to market "his face or his body"-- it's about the music.  He values privacy for both himself and his family--and more power to him for that.   If you ever go to a Tool show--he's not a front man--he usually stands towards the back of the stage almost like a shadow. He'll often times be in costume or wear wigs just to try to maintain a sense of anonymousness in his personal life.  For a mega rockstar--he could literally be in a grocery store--and many people would have no idea who he is--and that's exactly what he wants.  Another part of the reason he stays towards the rear of the stage. is that the flashing lights bug him--and apparently he does have some slight stage fright--but he also views the entire band as a "collective" that creates music--and he doesn't see himself as a frontman or the "face" of the band.  Compare that to a guy like Adam Levine who is in a very successful band with talented musicians and has no problem hogging all of the spotlight to himself and markets the hell out of his face--almost moreso than his music. Maynard also is a weird (and I'm not saying this in a negative context) quirky guy that has a sarcastic and rather trolling sense of humor.  For those who don't know that---he probably comes across as a giant doosh.  I personally  think he enjoys having that perception to people that just "don't get" him and his idiosyncrasies .My thoughts come from more than being a fan of a his music---I've also met him--and he's a very close friend of one of my best friends.  

I saw them in 1998 and he was up in front like a regular singer for the most part, maybe the hiding in the back came later?

Edit: It is even on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opkWbkLW_0E
I think it began post Aenima. I saw them in 2002 and had heard the show would be different than anything I'd seen before and there he was hanging out in the shadows at the back of the stage for the whole show. 

Who are you to wave your finger?
You must have been outta your head
Eye hole deep in muddy waters
You practically raised the dead

Rob the grave to snow the cradle
Then burn the evidence down
Soapbox house of cards and glass so
Don't go tossin' your stones around

The streaming news is very welcome. I wonder if they'll be available on Amazon Music eventually.

Insein said:
The streaming news is very welcome. I wonder if they'll be available on Amazon Music eventually.
i'm guessing so, cuz i think he said it will be on itunes.  he was on rogan last night and they talked about it upfront.  he was not that forthcoming about what changed for them (surprise!) at least at the beginning, then i fell asleep.

a couple other things that were interesting:

1) he was very circumspect, but seemed to blame the non-streaming on the other band members.

2) rogan or he did mention the idea of being against streaming because the albums were intended to be listened to in a specific order and in their entirety.  however, someone once said to them (or another band?), well do you play the whole album in order at your shows?  which of course they don't, and he seemed to sheepishly admit that there was an inconsistency there.

i'm guessing so, cuz i think he said it will be on itunes.  he was on rogan last night and they talked about it upfront.  he was not that forthcoming about what changed for them (surprise!) at least at the beginning, then i fell asleep.

1) he was very circumspect, but seemed to blame the non-streaming on the other band members.

2) rogan or he did mention the idea of being against streaming because the albums were intended to be listened to in a specific order and in their entirety.  however, someone once said to them (or another band?), well do you play the whole album in order at your shows?  which of course they don't, and he seemed to sheepishly admit that there was an inconsistency there.
to point 1, this is a tweet from January from MJK: https://twitter.com/mjkeenan/status/1084600695666270209

in which he also seems to point the finger at others in the band.  and also noted in that thread is that puscifer and perfect circle are on streaming platforms, so that does all kind of fit together.

DJackson10 said:
There is a few musicians who are doucy and asses but I listen to purely Rock/Metal/Sleaze from Europe. The bands who have come to America are so much nicer to the fans to then their American counter parts who act like their #### don't stink and couldn't bother with fans. I'd put most of the bands from Europe I listen to against the bands in the US not named Slayer, Metallica, etc and have multiple people listen to them and probably say wow this European stuff is way better then what the Americans are advertising. 
what are the top 5 bands in this category?

DJackson10 said:

I'm sorry Gene Simmons hurt you.

I honestly got that impulse for #2.  Seems like then it would have been a Spotify thing for them since you can do the whole album, but not be on Pandora.  Oh well, either way it was their choice, but glad they are available now. 

DJackson10 said:

I like that his lyrics are succinct.

Recommended tracks : Parabola, The Grudge, Lateralus, Ticks & Leeches, The Pot, Vicarious, Jambi, Right In Two, Push-it (had to add hyphen due to language filter), Hooker With a Penis, Stinkfist, Aenima, Forty-Six and Two, Schism, Intolerance, Prison Sex, Eulogy (among a million others)
Lots of great workout tracks there

Sounds like a good compromise would be to play every album in its entirety at each concert?

Maynard doesn't "hate" all Tool fans--he hates fans that feel like they are entitled to more than the music and merchandise the he and the band create and provide. He's said it many times--he's not there to market "his face or his body"-- it's about the music.  He values privacy for both himself and his family--and more power to him for that.   If you ever go to a Tool show--he's not a front man--he usually stands towards the back of the stage almost like a shadow. He'll often times be in costume or wear wigs just to try to maintain a sense of anonymousness in his personal life.  For a mega rockstar--he could literally be in a grocery store--and many people would have no idea who he is--and that's exactly what he wants.  Another part of the reason he stays towards the rear of the stage. is that the flashing lights bug him--and apparently he does have some slight stage fright--but he also views the entire band as a "collective" that creates music--and he doesn't see himself as a frontman or the "face" of the band.  Compare that to a guy like Adam Levine who is in a very successful band with talented musicians and has no problem hogging all of the spotlight to himself and markets the hell out of his face--almost moreso than his music. Maynard also is a weird (and I'm not saying this in a negative context) quirky guy that has a sarcastic and rather trolling sense of humor.  For those who don't know that---he probably comes across as a giant doosh.  I personally  think he enjoys having that perception to people that just "don't get" him and his idiosyncrasies .My thoughts come from more than being a fan of a his music---I've also met him--and he's a very close friend of one of my best friends.  
Thats part of the gig being famous. if he doesn't like it he can do other things. I will say there are some over bearing fans but unfortunately thats part of the gig. He acts like people should feel sorry he's famous. I've met the guy myself twice thanks to my friends mom one was a chance meet not really planned he was just in the same arena that day backstage. Both times he came off when meeting people I'm just hear for the check. That first meeting the chance meet He walked by us someone pointed out who he was. Not a Tool fan but knew his name. We tried saying high and my friends mom who had talked to him tried to introduce her son my friend and myself to him. He completely blew her off. The second time I met him I told him about that first meet and asked for an apology. I said he came off as rather rude and sorry if that was not the intended perception you want. He gave me the whole I don't need to apologize I'm successful bit. I was polite and respectful both times. "Hey our first meet may not have been what it should've been could you apologize?" wasn't the first out of my mouth either. All he needed to do if the first meet wasn't intent to look like he blew me and my friend off off was a simple "Hey dude I'm sorry about that first time not sure what happened. Wasn't my intent to blow you guys off." I'm a human being myself and so are you no need to treat people below you like crap. I had also just lost my Pop-Pop who I was incredible close to a week before and my friend and his mom took me backstage at this event to help cheer me up. I also explained that to him and maybe he could be a little more considerate what people are going through before making comments or simple blowing people off. The person you blew off happened to be one of the boss's (who put the event together you talked to get you there) daughter so you basically disrespected the person paying you a ton of money to appear.  

Again I understand the famous stuff but it's part of the gig. I have former Flyer John LeClair who shops in my store constantly and even Jason Kelce. Neither one minds being noticed. Many people are respectful to them when in there especially the employees. LeClair is glad to talk to people and I even got his autograph after one time he came in a told me hey you get a puck or a card of mine and next time I come in and you see me I'll happily sign it for ya. I'll sign a jersey or something for family if you need it don't hesitate to ever ask. Kelce's father in Law also works on my works security system and Kelce shops there routinely. My Cousin is teacher companions with his wife. I just think in Manyard's circumstances if he doesn't like the famous bit find something new to do and be considerate of what fans go through. Some of your fans I've read a lot of stories online how his band and music has helped them get through some pretty rough times in life. Without the fans you ain't ####. 

Pretty boring to have all musicians act the same.  I guess I dont consider it part of the deal.  I would get it if someone was genuinely in it for the music and found the constant barrage of people to be annoying.  I don't think they owe it to us to act a certain way. 

You say without fans they ain't ####.  On the flipside if they didn't produce great music that connected with people they wouldn't have a ton of fans.  Musicians that I love have definitely given me more than I have given them.  

what are the top 5 bands in this category?
Iron Maiden: Bruce and the band were incredible. 

Lacun Coil from Italy. Their lead Singer Cristina Scabbia who had date Slipknot's Paul Gray before he died was amazing. My buddy and I hung out with them in downtown Philly for a whole day. They were teaching us Italian how to curse and my buddy Greek was teaching them how to swear in Greek. Cristina is as amazing personally to people as she is beautiful. 

Avantasia (Allstar side project of Tobias Sammet of Edguy) awesome guy. Met Kiske former Helloween, Eric Martin Mr Big Geoff Tate of Queensryche and many others. 

HaleStorm- They are from Red Lion PA near my Mom's Aunt and Uncle (My Pop-Pop's brother). Izzy the lead singer is incredible personal with fans and Arjay her brother is a badass. I've actually shared a few beers with them in the past the band as a whole. 

MegaDeath: Like I initially said I always thought Mustain was a d-bag till I met him. he does a great job listening to fans. 

One of my customers is an event Host. He is given money by bands or an event to do with what he pleases to make the even go off as smoothly as possible. He's like an event planner coordinator. Theres some incredible people he's met from From Bill Clinton, to comedians to artist in all genres. I should also Note I met Thomas Rhett (Rhett Atkins Son) And Kenny Chesney and David Lee Murphy last year. You want the epitome of guy who loves and appreciates his fans it's Kenny Chesney. He literally rides a golf cart around the parking lots hrs before shows taking pics and signing autographs and leading fans in cheers. The fans never expected it when he first did it either. Again without the fans non of these people are anything. 

Pretty boring to have all musicians act the same.  I guess I dont consider it part of the deal.  I would get it if someone was genuinely in it for the music and found the constant barrage of people to be annoying.  I don't think they owe it to us to act a certain way. 

You say without fans they ain't ####.  On the flipside if they didn't produce great music that connected with people they wouldn't have a ton of fans.  Musicians that I love have definitely given me more than I have given them.  
I don't care if guys are different just be respectful about it and not a clown. Again it seems to me from reading stuff. talking to people and this thread Maynard is not a fan of the whole famous thing. Well what did he think would happen if he became successful in the music industry? I get some of his concerns yeah but a lot of this is part of the gig. No I don't owe them anything and they don't owe me anything other then respect for one another as a human being and being considerate. Again to me he comes off as the I'm smarter then you guy and incredible douchey. Again from personal experience he literally insulted and was rude to the bosses daughter her son an myself who had been dealing with a loss at that time. The second meet I was more then respectful to him before bringing up the first meet. All I said was hey I kind of met you like several yrs ago in Philly my Friends mom tried to introduce her son and me and even tell you they brought me backstage to help cheer me up as I just lost my Grandfather. You came off as pretty rude and disrespectful and the women you blew off happened to be the boss of the guy who paid you. After a few minutes he said he remembered getting a call about it from his PR person and then made an insulting comment about my Friends mom and her dad. I'm sorry but if that was me and a fan said that I'd be over the top trying to apologize. I'd say hey I didn't mean it that way I may have been having a poor day I'm sorry if I made your's more ####ty too. That was never my attention. Hell I'd go above and beyond hand them some free merchandise, an autograph etc just to make it up to them. I couldn't even get their inconsiderate ####### to say a simple "Hey I'm sorry." 

I'm sorry maybe it's just me but if that's how someone is gonna act you don't deserve my time, respect or my businesses to you. At that time the first meet I was suggested by a friend to listen to some Tool when going through my tough time. Well Maynard just ruined it and possible lost a potential fan money. Not just for tool but maybe his other Bands too. Thats on him. Who knows how many other people he's turned into non Fans of his or his bands or people who thought maybe getting into the band met him and then decided that guy isn't worth it now

Pretty weird to me to be expecting artists to be "on" all the time as they go through their day. Now I'm not saying all artists are tortured but a lot of great art comes from people who are not well-adjusted. When I was younger I was an extreme introvert yet still had a serious interest in playing music for a living, and had I made it in that industry I honestly don't think I would have handled fans very well.

Now at age 43, I've since put in a ton of work just to be able to have natural conversations with people and give the illusion that I'm more outgoing than I really am. I'm a lot more comfortable with it now and I do enjoy the random chit-chat a lot more, but it's still exhausting to me over a whole work day... and to recharge I need quiet time to go about my business by myself. I can't even imagine being constantly approached by strangers day after day, everywhere I go.

Pretty weird to me to be expecting artists to be "on" all the time as they go through their day. Now I'm not saying all artists are tortured but a lot of great art comes from people who are not well-adjusted. When I was younger I was an extreme introvert yet still had a serious interest in playing music for a living, and had I made it in that industry I honestly don't think I would have handled fans very well.

Now at age 43, I've since put in a ton of work just to be able to have natural conversations with people and give the illusion that I'm more outgoing than I really am. I'm a lot more comfortable with it now and I do enjoy the random chit-chat a lot more, but it's still exhausting to me over a whole work day... and to recharge I need quiet time to go about my business by myself. I can't even imagine being constantly approached by strangers day after day, everywhere I go.
All of this, plus added to that is these artists from 20+ years ago probably didn't figure into their calculations the social media implications and making it even harder to break away from people.   

I have a lot of respect for musicians and actors who are able to break away and attempt to live "normal" lives.  

Needy fans deserve being shunned. You're an adult, you don't need to bother this guy beyond enjoying the music. Get a grip.
Yea if you feel the need to say "love your music" and then leave, that's fine. Don't pester the guy for a picture or autograph when he's out with his family. I always think of the Eminem video "The way I am" when I see musicians getting harassed.

Users who are viewing this thread