What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 25 picks in a start 2 QB league (1 Viewer)

I see many QB's flying off the board! WHat would be my strategy if I HAD to draft a 2 QB league? Probably make sure I have one stud QB (Rd 1 or 2), then back off quickly and load up at RB and WR while other players overreach for QB's... target 2 mid-level QB's in the middle rounds (of course paying attention to bye weeks and what's left out there.) By the looks of your sig you may have some QB depth issues! Do you really start 2 kickers, 2 TE's and 2 D's? Anyways, I'm a start 1 QB type of guy.

Depends on the other positions. If it's QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, RB, flex, flex, TE then not much of a change.

If it's QB, QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, I'm targeting at least 1 QB in the first two rounds and will try to get an elite QB with my first pick...unless a top-3 RB falls to the end of the round.

If the league in your signature is the league you are asking about, I'd guess that between 7-10 QBs will be taken in the top 25 picks. With the 0.5 PPR that boosts the other positions a little bit more.

If the league in your signature is the league you are asking about, I'd guess that between 7-10 QBs will be taken in the top 25 picks. With the 0.5 PPR that boosts the other positions a little bit more.
No way. I would say 15 or so QBs in the 1st 25 picks.

In a 12 team start 2QB league, I would take QB-QB with my first two picks, unless I can get a top 3 RB late in round 1, and if I did that, I am taking QBs with my next 3 picks.

You have to get 3 starting QBs to cover injuries and bye weeks. More the better. In a 12 team league, some teams will be shut out of having 3 starting QBs. You can't imagine how much trading leverage you have if you have 4 startable QBs on your roster.

That said, 12 team mandatory start 2QB leagues are terrible. Try and make it a superflex league where you're required to start 1 QB and have the flex position include the QB as well as RB/WR. In that format, then I can see the 7-10 QBs taken with the 1st 25 picks that fantasy fool had suggested.

In a 12 team start 2QB league, I would take QB-QB with my first two picks, unless I can get a top 3 RB late in round 1, and if I did that, I am taking QBs with my next 3 picks.

You have to get 3 starting QBs to cover injuries and bye weeks. More the better. In a 12 team league, some teams will be shut out of having 3 starting QBs. You can't imagine how much trading leverage you have if you have 4 startable QBs on your roster.

That said, 12 team mandatory start 2QB leagues are terrible. Try and make it a superflex league where you're required to start 1 QB and have the flex position include the QB as well as RB/WR. In that format, then I can see the 7-10 QBs taken with the 1st 25 picks that fantasy fool had suggested.
Totally disagree.

The league in his sig is 3 RB, 4 WR, 2 TE. Every position is deeper than usual, not just QB. If more than 8 QB's are drafted in the first 25 picks, they're doing it wrong.

I still think you have to get RB, then you can grab a couple QB's in the 2nd and 3rd. The way I see it is that drafting for this type of league would be the same as a 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE league b/c of the added 1 player per position it really shouldn't change much.

Totally disagree.

The league in his sig is 3 RB, 4 WR, 2 TE. Every position is deeper than usual, not just QB. If more than 8 QB's are drafted in the first 25 picks, they're doing it wrong.
Incorrect, sir. I just modeled out that league ... using VBD it would be correct for 13 QBs to go off the board within the first 25 picks.

Generally 2 QB leagues aren't quite that deep with other positions. In a league starting the usual 2/3/1 it would be correct for ~18 to go off the board in the first 25 picks, with another 6 QBs within the third round. So basically every starting QB taken by the end of the third round.

One of the reasons I don't like 2 QB leagues is that those who get the top passers generally have a pretty big advantage unless the scoring is normalized somehow. I played in a 1 point per 50 yard passing 2 QB league last year that was pretty balanced. Any other standard scoring and I'd have to play in an Auction or the teams would be too skewed for the first few picks. In a snake draft, the 1.01 gets the best QB and likely two of the top 5 RBs (if picking according to VBD), which really isn't fair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Totally disagree.

Disagree.

Other positions have more starters required, but the pool is much deeper than that at QB. There's only 32 QBs to start. With 12 teams, only 8 even get a backup QB. So you have scraps on your bench, if you are lucky. Everyone will have backup TEs, for example.

As another example, would you rather start QB1 and TE 24, or TE1 and QB 24?

OP needs to post his exact starting lineup and scoring system for his league in question. That is the only way to calculate VBD scenarios.

Totally disagree.

I understand the league dynamics.

Then you go ahead and draft only 1 QB in the first 3 rounds........find out what happens when you have only 2 QBs on your roster and you have one of your QBs injured or on bye. I don't care how good the rest of your lineup is......you're screwed if you have to take a zero at one of your QB slots.

Then you go ahead and draft only 1 QB in the first 3 rounds........find out what happens when you have only 2 QBs on your roster and you have one of your QBs injured or on bye. I don't care how good the rest of your lineup is......you're screwed if you have to take a zero at one of your QB slots.
This is why the original poster needs to confirm how many teams, the scoring and starting lineup requirements.

If it really is a 12 team league with a 2 QB starting requirement, that is a failure to start from a league setup stand point. Making people overdraft QBs even more than they would in a 2 QB starting league, because a few teams won't be able to get a backup QB.

Yes it's a start 2 QB 12 team league. My signature is correct in terms of roster spots. I get the argument re too many QBs for a 12 team league but we've had this same league going for 10 years now & everyone likes the challenge. The deep rosters encourage trades.

This is why the original poster needs to confirm how many teams, the scoring and starting lineup requirements.

If it really is a 12 team league with a 2 QB starting requirement, that is a failure to start from a league setup stand point. Making people overdraft QBs even more than they would in a 2 QB starting league, because a few teams won't be able to get a backup QB.
There is no right or wrong league format. If all my leagues were the same I'd be bored with most of them. I like ones that are different from the cookie cutter in at least one way.

Grigs Allmoon said:
There is no right or wrong league format. If all my leagues were the same I'd be bored with most of them. I like ones that are different from the cookie cutter in at least one way.
And there is no right or wrong opinion. If you enjoy playing in horrible league setups like this one, good for you. I don't need "dumb" rules or "different" league setups to not be bored with Fantasy Football. So to the OP, have fun over drafting QBs, and hope your not the one with no backup QB. Or when a QB gets hurt, people steal the backup on waivers, and force you to pay ransom for a 2nd starting QB.

But hey on the bright side, there might be more trades LOL.

How do I ignore negative people like Fantasy Fool? Does this board have that function?
Up at the top right of the screen is your name, click on the down arrow.

Click on manage ignore preferences.

Bottom of page, input the name of the person you want to ignore.

Save changes.

Grigs Allmoon said:
And there is no right or wrong opinion. If you enjoy playing in horrible league setups like this one, good for you. I don't need "dumb" rules or "different" league setups to not be bored with Fantasy Football. So to the OP, have fun over drafting QBs, and hope your not the one with no backup QB. Or when a QB gets hurt, people steal the backup on waivers, and force you to pay ransom for a 2nd starting QB.

But hey on the bright side, there might be more trades LOL.
At least you are correct about one thing...you are a fool.

Grigs Allmoon said:
Fantasy Fool said:
fightingillini said:

Exactly.

I am not a fan of gbill2004's league setup, (it would be a great format if it were a superflex and allow owners to start 2QBs, but require to start only 1) but you have to play according to the requirements. At least you have to think outside the box in this kind of league. And in his league, you have to have 2QBs within the 1st 3 rounds and 3 by round 5......I would suspect every starting QB will be gone by Round 6 or 7. You need the QB depth to survive.

That said, you don't have to go QB-QB-QB. You can go RB-QB-QB.....and you will have a stud RB but two middle of the road QBs. Or you can go QB-QB-RB and have a stud QB plus a solid QB but your RB1 won't be as good. I would be very interesting to see what the optimal strategy is in this kind of league.

But I still stand that 12-15 QBs will be gone with the 1st 25 picks. They are that scarce in a 12 team start 2Q league.

I have 11 QBs, 9 RBs, 5 WRs, going in the top 25 in your league.

Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Doug Martin
Calvin Johnson
Arian Foster
Drew Brees
Adrian Peterson
Cam Newton
C.J. Spiller
Jamaal Charles
Dez Bryant
Tony Romo