What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top Running Back Busts (1 Viewer)

whoknows

Footballguy
My drafts are over and went heavy WR /Graham mainly due to draft position and draft flow.

After looking at prior year drafts and trying to justify my strategy I realized there was an obscene amount of RB busts and poor performers.

Talking Foster.....spiller....rice early picks. 9 of the 16 taken in first two rounds busted. A few more played poorly.

For what ever reason who are your biggest RB busts going in the first 2 rounds?

You'll hate me but I'm going Charles, Forte, Lacey, Ball, Bernard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying "bust", but some guys I think will play below their ADP:

AP

Lynch

Martin

Lacey

Ball

I can't imagine a compelling reason for Forte, Lacy, or Ball to be on anyone's lists for any reason other than shots-in-the-dark. Talent, health, system, opportunity, and lack of competition all around with that crew. :shrug:

Charles, I go along with. A slight build, a history of having trouble staying on the field, and now playing behind a line I'd rank among the league's worst, in a situation where he almost has to be force-fed the ball due to lack of options. Screams "beware" to me.

I think Le'Veon Bell is a dangerous pickup early, and for identical reasons, Zac Stacy. Neither guy exactly exploded last year. Both did well compiling and staying on the field, and there's a lot to be said for that. But both guys have competition that the coaches don't seem exactly hesitant to rely on, either. I think either guy could end up on the wrong side of a timeshare if, for any reason, they get outproduced early on. I wouldn't wager on it happening, but why risk if you don't have to?

And of course Foster has never-ending concerns, and with Grimes and Blue, I think he's got some interesting options behind him. Wouldn't shock me at all to see him miss a couple games due to his now recurring back or hammy issues, only to get Wally Pipped by one of those guys. For similar reasons, I'm not exactly reaching to take Demarco Murray, but I wouldn't exactly say he scares me, either.

Everyone else I worry about is below RB15, and I don't think relevant here.

I can't imagine a compelling reason for Forte, Lacy, or Ball to be on anyone's lists for any reason other than shots-in-the-dark. Talent, health, system, opportunity, and lack of competition all around with that crew. :shrug:

Charles, I go along with. A slight build, a history of having trouble staying on the field, and now playing behind a line I'd rank among the league's worst, in a situation where he almost has to be force-fed the ball due to lack of options. Screams "beware" to me.

I think Le'Veon Bell is a dangerous pickup early, and for identical reasons, Zac Stacy. Neither guy exactly exploded last year. Both did well compiling and staying on the field, and there's a lot to be said for that. But both guys have competition that the coaches don't seem exactly hesitant to rely on, either. I think either guy could end up on the wrong side of a timeshare if, for any reason, they get outproduced early on. I wouldn't wager on it happening, but why risk if you don't have to?

And of course Foster has never-ending concerns, and with Grimes and Blue, I think he's got some interesting options behind him. Wouldn't shock me at all to see him miss a couple games due to his now recurring back or hammy issues, only to get Wally Pipped by one of those guys. For similar reasons, I'm not exactly reaching to take Demarco Murray, but I wouldn't exactly say he scares me, either.

Great stuff here.

You just can't imagine Montee Ball a bust, but Charles no problem I there.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I KEEP WINNING MY LEAGUES AND LOADS OF CASH.

I just can't, won't and don't take a single thing on these boards seriously. The insight really sucks fellas.

Great stuff here. You just can't imagine Montee Ball a bust, but Charles no problem I there.

I just can't, won't and don't take a single thing on these boards seriously. The insight really sucks fellas.
Now this is how to earn respect and put forth rational discussion. Well done.

Great stuff here.

Yet you're still here...

Great stuff here.You just can't imagine Montee Ball a bust, but Charles no problem I there.

Yeah I'm not sure what he said that so crazy. Ball looked really good in his short amount of time last season. The offense seems like it should be just as good as it was last season when Moreno posted good numbers. Why can't Ball do the same or better there?

Have no problem with being a little cautions on Charles this year. Like free said, they really don't have a choice but to rely on Charles in that offense. Smith doesn't throw downfield and their OL is shaky. I still think Charles could be good this year, but I don't think he'll be as good as he was last year.

Maybe you should post less since you don't take anything seriously here?

Great stuff here.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I KEEP WINNING MY LEAGUES AND LOADS OF CASH.I just can't, won't and don't take a single thing on these boards seriously. The insight really sucks fellas.
Yet you're still here...
Keith Lewis=Multiple Scores, correct? Explains that douchey post

I'm not saying "bust", but some guys I think will play below their ADP:

AP

Lynch

Martin

Lacey

Ball
My drafts are over and went heavy WR /Graham mainly due to draft position and draft flow.

After looking at prior year drafts and trying to justify my strategy I realized there was an obscene amount of RB busts and poor performers.

Talking Foster.....spiller....rice early picks. 9 of the 16 taken in first two rounds busted. A few more played poorly.

Funny that you guys both made a typo.

Great stuff here.

What is so confusing? Ball is playing behind a top notch offensive line with a top notch QB and two top notch receiving targets. Ball probably won't see an 8 man front all season unless he is near the goal line which should be early and often in Denver.

Charles, while supremely talented, is playing behind an offensive line with three new starters (and a fourth new starter for the first four games), they have a QB who plays a safe, predictable game and rarely challenges defenses down field. They have, maybe, one good and one above average receiving threat. Charles will be facing defenses stacked against him all year long. He should get a ton of volume because he is the only weapon that will keep KC competitive so that should be great for his owners but overall this looks to be a much more questionable season then he was facing last season.

Denver and KC also are facing significantly more difficult schedules this season but Denver looks much better equipped to deal with that then Kansas City.

If you want to improve the board it would be helpful if you provided some counter arguments.

This thread stinks of people who didn't get a good RB so the feel good calling them potential busts. Guess what, if Jimmy Graham blows out a knee week one, he's a bust.

And if my aunt had a d ick she would be my uncle.

So you're saying that numbers lie and there is not a higher failure rate for RB's taken in the first two rounds so it's not a prudent exercise to try and predict who those failures might be? Check.

This thread stinks of people who didn't get a good RB so the feel good calling them potential busts. Guess what, if Jimmy Graham blows out a knee week one, he's a bust.
There's a difference between being a bust and having a freak injury. Being a bust means you play poorly.

My thought on the Houston RB situation is that, at every point in time (3 years ago, 2 years ago, etc) I liked Ben Tate's potential better than I do Blue's or Grimes. Grimes is a guy that hasn't been able to stick on a couple of teams. Blue is oversized slowfoot that looks like a niche player. So, in my opinion, if Tate couldn't carve a role from Foster, then these guys won't either unless it's a matter of injury. That, of course, is the million dollar issue but injury prediction is a tricky thing.

It is the kind of thing that makes people miss on Peterson, have conflicting thoughts on Gronk, and have conflicting thoughts on Foster. Some people are going to be wrong here. We will just have to see what category we all fall into but for me I am going to go with the thought that if the teams says Foster is healthy and can play then I know he's pretty good and fantasy friendly.

So, overall, I can't pick him as a "bust" based on injury prediction. Someone else in the thread has it right; this is a thread designed to attract people who drafted and don't like their RBs so they are wanting to tear it down. There really is no other reason for it because every year, there are busts due to injury at all positions and unless there IS an injury to these guys listed, they aren't busting-they are great players in great fantasy systems. So what's the point in discussing? §

That is exactly my point. Injuries are a part of the game are they not? RB' s clearly have a higher rate of injury. Especially nagging ones. Hammy's, back, ankles, toes. Now add the usage of those backs. High touch guys.

Regardless of injury, here were flat out busts. Some then were injured but performed nowhere near their adp...

Spiller, Rice, Martin,Richardson, Morris, Drew, Steven Jackson, Ridley, Sproles. That is 9 right there that sucked even prior to injury.

Yeah boohoo i hate my running backs. I'm taking my ball and going home. Sorry boss we can't all be winners like you.

Great stuff here.You just can't imagine Montee Ball a bust, but Charles no problem I there.

What is so confusing? Ball is playing behind a top notch offensive line with a top notch QB and two top notch receiving targets. Ball probably won't see an 8 man front all season unless he is near the goal line which should be early and often in Denver.Charles, while supremely talented, is playing behind an offensive line with three new starters (and a fourth new starter for the first four games), they have a QB who plays a safe, predictable game and rarely challenges defenses down field. They have, maybe, one good and one above average receiving threat. Charles will be facing defenses stacked against him all year long. He should get a ton of volume because he is the only weapon that will keep KC competitive so that should be great for his owners but overall this looks to be a much more questionable season then he was facing last season.

Denver and KC also are facing significantly more difficult schedules this season but Denver looks much better equipped to deal with that then Kansas City.

If you want to improve the board it would be helpful if you provided some counter arguments.
I typically will take talent over situations almost everytime. Andy ia a offensive mastermind, knows that Charles is his best weapon and he will get him involved one way or another. Charles is one of the few back in the league that can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. Everyone worried about them keying on Charles this year. You don't think defense was keying on him last year? They had no better weapons last year than they do this year. The offensive line is a little worse but run blocking isn't quite as hard as pass pro for lineman to learn. I like ball too but he is also a unproven talent, looked good in a sample size but how will he look/hold up with 25 touches a game? No one knows so I can see the argument for why he might under perform. Has his pass pro improved? They say it looks better in camp. I like to see it against guys coming at him 100%. There is some very good pass rushers playing against them this year. First time manning gets plowed over due to ball missing a block John fox won't take that lightly. I like ball at his current adp but you can't just assume he won't bust there is a lot of valid reasons he could.

I like a lot more RBs in the 2nd and 3rd than I do in the 1st. I like getting a stud WR or Jimmy Graham in the 1st, then RB-RB in the 2nd and 3rd if possible. From a middle spot or selection you can take Lynch/Martin and you probably have about 650-700 touches and maybe 20 TDs, you'll be in good hands.

From there you can just keep grabbing undervalued WRs like Victor Cruz in the 4th, and Reggie Wayne down in the 7th/8th range, Golden Tate, lots of great rounds for WRs.

I also have warmed up big time on MJD, guy is flying up my board and seems like an easy 6th round snare if you are worried at RB or can flex a 3rd RB. But the 1st round looks scary to me.

Yeah I'm not sure what he said that so crazy. Ball looked really good in his short amount of time last season. The offense seems like it should be just as good as it was last season when Moreno posted good numbers. Why can't Ball do the same or better there?

Have no problem with being a little cautions on Charles this year. Like free said, they really don't have a choice but to rely on Charles in that offense. Smith doesn't throw downfield and their OL is shaky. I still think Charles could be good this year, but I don't think he'll be as good as he was last year.

I second this... nothing he said was crazy. I've had the 1/1/2 in drafts and didn't take Charles once. He's not a sure-fire-regression candidate but there are a lot of red flags against him producing anywhere near what he produced last year.

If you're not projecting forward you aren't going to win leagues. I will take Ball at his cost in auctions over Charles easily. Last week I paid 65% the cost to get Ball and am likely to get 85% of the production. Charles isn't going to have 1500 yards and Ball catches the ball very well.

That change in offensive line is damning to me. Oline play has been more responsible for RB success than just pure talent. Foster was nothing years ago without that elite offensive line talent. AP is a beast but he has also had very good line play the last couple of years. Matt Kalil is the single best young tackle in the game, and the guards are decent.

Foster: Career is on life support. Bad legs, bad back, wanted to retire this offseason?

Bell: Overdrafted because Blount will suck up the goal like work and probably close to half the carries. Maybe next year.

All NE RBs except Vereen: Can't trust coach. You never know when the starter gets cut or benched.

Reggie Bush: no way he matches last years figures. Detroit has a lot of love for Bell and will feed him the rock, plus legit weapons like Tate and Ebron to take some touches.

Morris in PPR: this guy is going to struggle to stay on the field in Grudens offense. Maybe he can be serviceable in a standard league. Helu will get a reasonable run this year.

SJax: no one else can start in Atlanta over him.... Until his body fails him. Which is highly likely.

Gore: going to be curtains for you soon. Be happy to ride him early and cut bait. Niners have been trying to groom replacements for years now and they are getting serious with Hyde.

Marshawn: holdouts do not do well with tailbacks with tread on the tires. I think you are rolling the dice on this guy this year.... I'd be cautious.

Darn misleading titles. So this thread isn't about the Lingerie Football league then?

:kicksrock:

Anyone remember what Andy Reid did to McCoy two years ago? Certainly in play for Charles. I would expect some regression from him.

And if my aunt had a d ick she would be my uncle.

So you're saying that numbers lie and there is not a higher failure rate for RB's taken in the first two rounds so it's not a prudent exercise to try and predict who those failures might be? Check.
ofc its not prudent when the methodology is akin to throwing at a dartboard. ya, i just totally feel that charles or forte will get injured. or hey, i think the top 5 guys will underperform their adp. guess what? thats how adp works, ofc they are dogs to finish above their adp, thats what happens when youre a the top, theres no where else to go but down.wr

keith lewis already nailed this thread.

Foster: Career is on life support. Bad legs, bad back, wanted to retire this offseason?

Bell: Overdrafted because Blount will suck up the goal like work and probably close to half the carries. Maybe next year.

All NE RBs except Vereen: Can't trust coach. You never know when the starter gets cut or benched.

Reggie Bush: no way he matches last years figures. Detroit has a lot of love for Bell and will feed him the rock, plus legit weapons like Tate and Ebron to take some touches.

Morris in PPR: this guy is going to struggle to stay on the field in Grudens offense. Maybe he can be serviceable in a standard league. Helu will get a reasonable run this year.

SJax: no one else can start in Atlanta over him.... Until his body fails him. Which is highly likely.

Gore: going to be curtains for you soon. Be happy to ride him early and cut bait. Niners have been trying to groom replacements for years now and they are getting serious with Hyde.

Marshawn: holdouts do not do well with tailbacks with tread on the tires. I think you are rolling the dice on this guy this year.... I'd be cautious.
I disagree on Ridley. He's falling as late as the 10th round and he's a steal there.

What is so confusing? Ball is playing behind a top notch offensive line with a top notch QB and two top notch receiving targets. Ball probably won't see an 8 man front all season unless he is near the goal line which should be early and often in Denver.Charles, while supremely talented, is playing behind an offensive line with three new starters (and a fourth new starter for the first four games), they have a QB who plays a safe, predictable game and rarely challenges defenses down field. They have, maybe, one good and one above average receiving threat. Charles will be facing defenses stacked against him all year long. He should get a ton of volume because he is the only weapon that will keep KC competitive so that should be great for his owners but overall this looks to be a much more questionable season then he was facing last season.

But you do know he's won multiple leagues right? I thought he made that point clear... in every post he has on the boards. He should probably just make it his Sig.

I never said Ball will outperform Charles, I just pointed out that there are logical reasons why Charles could have a much tougher go of it this year.

Why do people take this stuff so personally?

I never said Ball will outperform Charles, I just pointed out that there are logical reasons why Charles could have a much tougher go of it this year.

Why do people take this stuff so personally?
This is what I will never understand.

People get so mad at you because you dont think the player they happen to have on their team is going to have a great season.

Ahhh, football season is here.

I will be honest here, I come to these board for precisely threads like this. You have to pick and choose who you listen to, but there are some very discriminating players out there. Their opinions give me perspective on someone I may be up or down on and I appreciate that.

To give my $0.02 here:

Here are the RB's I'm avoiding unless they fall a half a round or more from the top 2+ rounds:

Charles- for line concerns and I fell like they have a big regression this season.

McCoy- toe issues, plus I think Sproles steals some of his catches 15 or so.

L. Bell- I'm not sold on him at all. I think Blount has 60% of the points in that offense this year.

Gerhart- Backup RB that could be good but is dinged going into the season on a bad but improving team.

Stacy- Too many questions at QB, WR, plus Cunningham already in the mix.

Full disclosure, I've drafted 10 money leagues and none of these guys are on any of my teams. My 2 $1250 teams happen next week in Vegas.

There you have it.

Great stuff here.

LOADS OF CASH YOU GUYS

the guy is a troll. Ive had him blocked for a while but every now and then he gets quoted and i end up reading his troll posts. I wish it blocked when users are quoted too

I will be honest here, I come to these board for precisely threads like this. You have to pick and choose who you listen to, but there are some very discriminating players out there. Their opinions give me perspective on someone I may be up or down on and I appreciate that.

To give my $0.02 here:

Here are the RB's I'm avoiding unless they fall a half a round or more from the top 2+ rounds:

Charles- for line concerns and I fell like they have a big regression this season.

McCoy- toe issues, plus I think Sproles steals some of his catches 15 or so.

L. Bell- I'm not sold on him at all. I think Blount has 60% of the points in that offense this year.

Gerhart- Backup RB that could be good but is dinged going into the season on a bad but improving team.

Stacy- Too many questions at QB, WR, plus Cunningham already in the mix.

Full disclosure, I've drafted 10 money leagues and none of these guys are on any of my teams. My 2 $1250 teams happen next week in Vegas.

There you have it.
I think too many people are blowing up this new Cunningham tidbit out of proportion. I don't think it's trouble. Sure it's not ideal, but Stacy has shown some good talent. I think people are expecting too much out of a rookie RB. The guy had over 1,100 total yards last year. Yeah, his YPC was below average (no pun intended), but people are acting like another year of experience is going to make him worse. Who's to say he can't get into that 4.2-4.5 range this year? Basing things on the preseason...really? He's had almost an entire year now to learn to read holes and play RB at an NFL level. I doubt his YPC goes down this year.

I think at best he makes a leap this year and puts all his competition to rest, and at worst he ends up with the majority of shares in a new RBBC...no different than 90% of the rest of the league.

EDIT: And yeah, wasn't thinking about it at the time, but yes, I get opposing D's can now focus in on the run game without Bradford, making things a bit more difficult for Stacy and ALL STL RB's.. My point still stands, I'm not sweating Stacy or his progression, I think he'll roll out a better year than last.

Priest Holmes + Larry Johnson = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Any word on LeSean McCoy jumping out of the way from Peyton Mannings foot getting stuck on the gas pedal of an 18 wheeler

Stacy will be running behind road grader Greg Robinson. Stacy will also see the majority of the touches. Fisher will be running the ball 30-35 times per game, so there's plenty of opportunity there. I wouldn't worry about Cunningham or Mason yet.

Here's the problem as we get closer to the season, and it's in all of the projection threads. A lot (most?) of people have had drafts already and depending on who fell to them and who didn't, their analysis is no longer objective.

They've researched the crap out of the players on their team and the positive reports are sticking out. They're (myself included) posting what they know, but also to get assurance.

Stacy will be running behind road grader Greg Robinson. Stacy will also see the majority of the touches. Fisher will be running the ball 30-35 times per game, so there's plenty of opportunity there. I wouldn't worry about Cunningham or Mason yet.
I don't know…who's Stacy? He was buried on the depth chart and the guys in front of him faltered and he got his shot and played pretty well but his value is based on a ton of volume and I don't think he's that talented. Situations where a guy has value based not on talent but the fact that he's the guy (for now) always have me leery. I think Stacy likely keeps the role but if he comes out like Richardson did last year I think the leash will be short. They have nothing invested in Stacy and the fact that Cunningham has reportedly outperformed him all preseason and then got time in the 3rd game would have me a bit concerned. I passed on him in drafts and I may regret it but there seems to be a bit of smoke there….

You're taking this one pretty hard man.

I'm having flashbacks of CJ Spiller from last year. I'm not panicking, yet. More concerned about the hit to the head.

I'm having flashbacks of CJ Spiller from last year. I'm not panicking, yet. More concerned about the hit to the head.
Not a good night for Lacy. The injuries to the OL and the possible/likely concussion which would be his second in 2 years. I don't have Lacy but Starks might very well be a top pick next week.

I did notice though that Starks looked like he was walking off a bit gimpy too after his last carry and he never returned.

I'm sorry but Lacy runs soooooo stiff. Those guys don't make it long in this league. Watching him and then Lynch you can see a distinct difference in agility. Lynch takes some shots too but not quite like Lacy. Lacy runs upright and stiff and just gets plowed every game. If I owned him in dynasty I would be trading him as soon as he had a good game this year.

Overreaction as always.
No one is dropping him so how is this a overreaction? Losing Buluga and perhaps having his 2nd concussion in 2 years is not good though, his bad fantasy night against the best D in the league is not what I would be concerned with if I owned him..

Overreaction as always.
No one is dropping him so how is this a overreaction? Losing Beluga and perhaps having his 2nd concussion in 2 years is not good though, his bad fantasy night against the best D in the league is not what I would be concerned with if I owned him..
He didn't have Bulaga last year....healthy Sherrod > Don Barclay (IMO)

Concussion is definitely a concern with how he runs.

With the benefit of having watched the first game, I'd count Lacy as the most likely high picked running back to bust. On top of the his offensive line issues, he just didn't look like the back everybody talks about on these boards. Marshawn Lynch made Lacy look ordinary, taking him to school. Granted Lynch had more help from his line which gets represented on the stat sheet, qualitatively though, even on his no gains it was absolutely apparent to me he has superior talent.

I'm not predicting a bust season for Lacy, because his line will certainly give him more running room against normal defenses, and Rodgers should keep defenses off his jock. But how many people would make Lacy their first round pick after last night - ahead of Lynch and/or Ball?

Users who are viewing this thread