What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tough situation with prospective landlord, WWYD? (1 Viewer)

When I was researching dead bolts today, I read that the major brands make a limited number of unique keys for their locks, like ~250.  So I suppose stranger things have happened.
They have deadbolts/doorknob combination sets that you can re-key yourself in about 30 sec https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset-Juno-Satin-Nickel-Exterior-Entry-Door-Knob-and-Single-Cylinder-Deadbolt-Combo-Pack-Featuring-SmartKey-Security-991J-15-SMT-CP/100597328?MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-100597328-_-N&

I bought 6 of these for my duplex Apts.  Tenants are happy. I am happy. Hope these work for you and make you happy!

They have deadbolts/doorknob combination sets that you can re-key yourself in about 30 sec https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset-Juno-Satin-Nickel-Exterior-Entry-Door-Knob-and-Single-Cylinder-Deadbolt-Combo-Pack-Featuring-SmartKey-Security-991J-15-SMT-CP/100597328?MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-100597328-_-N&

I bought 6 of these for my duplex Apts.  Tenants are happy. I am happy. Hope these work for you and make you happy!
Thanks for the recommendation. If I was a landlord, I could see the benefit to those adjustable locks but I don't want to incur additional expense and then risk receiving grief when explaining the technology to the old lady.  During my short stay with that other old lady, I somehow broke the hinge on her toilet seat.  I used to tipttoe around the house because she was very strict about noise so I replaced the seat with the now common and more expensive quiet type.  She was upset when she saw it.  "I just want one like the one you broke!" She demanded, while forcing the seat to close.  "Don't worry," I said, "If you keep forcing the seat down like that, eventually it will be just like the one you had before." 

Thanks for the recommendation. If I was a landlord, I could see the benefit to those adjustable locks but I don't want to incur additional expense and then risk receiving grief when explaining the technology to the old lady.  During my short stay with that other old lady, I somehow broke the hinge on her toilet seat.  I used to tipttoe around the house because she was very strict about noise so I replaced the seat with the now common and more expensive quiet type.  She was upset when she saw it.  "I just want one like the one you broke!" She demanded, while forcing the seat to close.  "Don't worry," I said, "If you keep forcing the seat down like that, eventually it will be just like the one you had before." 
WTF?

I'm not sure what you mean.  I was explaining why I don't want to purchase a more expensive re-programmable lock for this old lady.  Another consideration is that if the re-programmable lock malfunctions, it could cause additional problems.  In the case of the toilet seat, if the soft close fails it becomes just like a regular, cheaper toilet seat.  The other lady was prickly by nature, her husband saw the value in it and told her to settle down.

I woke up this morning to 4 turd piles and 1 piss in the hallway plus at least 1 turd pile in the dark kitchen.  I still don't know where the light switch is so I returned to bed.  I've been feeling defeated and full of regret so it was good to be reminded that while this new place may be terrible, I really needed to get out of my current place.  I'm moving in today.  The kitchenette really only consists of a refrigerator and there is a small bathroom sink in laundry room. Originally I had planned to invest in an electric burner, slow cooker, blender and change the sink faucet to allow for more clearance while using some type of screen to prevent the drain and trap from becoming clogged.  But since I now plan to only stay a month, my focus will be more on figuring out what I can eat raw.  If I'm gonna live in a tent after this, it's important that I figure out how to provide my body nutrients without cooking.

I'm not sure what you mean.  I was explaining why I don't want to purchase a more expensive re-programmable lock for this old lady.  Another consideration is that if the re-programmable lock malfunctions, it could cause additional problems.  In the case of the toilet seat, if the soft close fails it becomes just like a regular, cheaper toilet seat.  The other lady was prickly by nature, her husband saw the value in it and told her to settle down.
It was the toilet seat thing. Time to move.

You're wrong.  This lady used to be a legal secretary and said she has read through the landlord/tenant code book three times.  I'm obviously not as well versed but I don't think you can change the locks on a tenant that left stuff behind, especially if you plan to retain their security deposit as compensation for unpaid rent.
Once a tenant's lease runs out they have no rights as far as accessing the apartment - in fact the landlord could have used the security deposit to defray her costs in having to get rid of the old tenant's junk.

Dr. Octopus said:
Once a tenant's lease runs out they have no rights as far as accessing the apartment - in fact the landlord could have used the security deposit to defray her costs in having to get rid of the old tenant's junk.
The month to month lease began at the start of this month.  The landlord allowed the girl to move in with only a security deposit and a promise of rent because she was desperate for a tenant.  The girl left after only 3 days.  My willingness to move in at the middle of the month afforded the old lady the opportunity to offer the girl a resolution that would hopefully end the harassing phone calls she was receiving.  The old lady should have accepted my offer to be present for the exchange.  It's done and aside from mentally spooking me, there probably wasn't much damage.

Osaurus said:
It was the toilet seat thing. Time to move.

belljr said:
What got me was more expensive..... like its hundred of dollars more
$25 is many cans of beans to a homeless person.  The local hardware stores no longer carried the same brand seat in the cheaper style so I knew there was going to be a complaint no matter what I did.  I'm staying at a gay lodge right now, though.  In the short time that I spent with that other old lady, I was wrongly blamed for all sorts of stuff.  There were a ton of crazy rules but I would have gladly stayed there if only she could have continued cooking.  My health has been rather poor, injuries no longer healing, kidneys in stage 3 on recent blood test, etc.  Being homeless will be challenging as my body is more demanding than most.  

This feels like a poor man's Arizona Ron thread - here for the payoff    :popcorn:
I don't think there is going to be a payoff, at least not of a sexual nature.  I'm not into the GILF scene.  I'm completely sober and not really interested in girls at all.  A couple years ago I was a shrewd strip club negotiator.  I started a thread about that and got my account perma-banned within minutes.

I dropped some of my stuff outside the house earlier.  Now I'm just waiting at school with the stuff I don't want stolen.  Once she wakes up, I'll go over, change the locks and I guess that's where this thread ends.

Aside from getting black lung from the old lady's smoking, everything seems to be fine.  I trust her now and she trusts me.  There is some comedy in the neighborhood, though.  Gun range on the other side of the highway.  Roosters going off every morning.  A lot of aggressive dogs, including one that almost got a foot to the face.  But the icing on the cake has to be these fools who work on cars right outside my room each night.  These are the type that are modified to be as loud as possible. As one roared into the distance, they were talking about the power in pounds.  I envy their mechanically knowledge but my god, what an obnoxiously brain dead hobby.  It's only been two nights so I can still laugh about it. 

you mean a pound-foot aka a unit of torque?
Sounds about right. I recall they were excited about getting 25 pounds out of one car.  As I said, I am jealous of any one with mechanical skills.  Regardless of how annoying loud modified cars are, they could be doing worse things.  I can reflect on all the times when I was a nuisance to others and it is my own current issues that are leaving me so susceptible to being bothered.

On the other hand, this is an example of the difference between 'good' and 'bad' neighborhoods.  "Karens' serve a purpose.  Sure, they're never going to bat 1,000 but even when they get things wrong, the aggrieved party could walk away with a chuckle if they possessed the requisite maturity.  Mind your own business leads to the breakdown of civilized society.

If this is all on the up and up....

Why is your food bill so high? Are you grossly overweight?

It sounds like you need professional counselling. Lots of issues here. 

Good luck

If this is all on the up and up....

Why is your food bill so high? Are you grossly overweight?

It sounds like you need professional counselling. Lots of issues here. 

Good luck
I've never been more underweight. 6'7 and 175.  When I was counting calories, 3,500 seemed to be my maintenance level but I can go well above that without gaining if I'm active. Last few years have been rough with IBS.  I'm still trying to figure out a healthy diet that works for me.

I think physical issues caused or exasperated the mental issues.  If it weren't for a weird deformity in high school and the botched operation that followed, I likely would have followed a traditional path.  I've always been hard on my body but it used to heal really well. Now, in addition to all my chronic injuries, little things that would heal in a week are dragging on for months.

I suppose this was just a thread for me to vent.  I'm not interested in counseling.  Many doctors have labeled me as bipolar  but I'm skeptical of psychiatry and the broad diagnoses they apply.  When I take no drugs at all, my behavior is better.  I also cut off my family.  It's not ideal but better to have nothing than a negative influence.  

The age clock is ticking.  If I was motivated I could turn things around.  But I'm not motivated. I don't want a family or a spouse.  No amount of money can give me what I want.  I understand why I pursued degenerate adventures, even if I choose not to any more.  I do want to make the most of what ability my body has left because I still enjoy being active and playing sports.  I have an ultrasound tomorrow morning.  Been suffering from groin/testicle pain for two years.  Maybe it's from a previous hernia repair, or maybe I picked up something from one of those crackheads.

This old lady has partitioned off a section of her house into something like a 1 bedroom apartment. It's in a crummy neighborhood but only $1,000/month and I've been eager to have a private space free of other low rent roommates.  The main issue was that she still needed to get back the key from her previous tenant who had split after living there for only 3 days. 

The previous tenant, a young girl, had not paid any rent but she has been demanding her $1,000 security deposit back.  Yesterday, I agreed to move in at the middle of the month so now the landlord could offer the girl half the deposit in exchange for the key and a few things that the girl stole.  I was worried about how smoothly this exchange would go.  The old lady has limited mobility and is apparently unable to lift even 10 pounds.

So I called this afternoon around the time she usually wakes up.  "Were you able to get a hold of the girl?" I asked.  The old lady was annoyed.  "I told you I would call once I've taken care of everything...She returned my message this morning and said she would be coming around 6 or 7 this evening."  Great, I said, would it be alright if I come over? I won't cause any problems, I just want to make sure she doesn't give you a hard time. The lady didn't care for this idea.  "I don't know exactly when she will show up.  You really are a worrier."

I didn't expect the girl to beat up the landlord but I did think she would sabotage the room.  The landlord called later.  Apparently, the girl demanded her rental application back and refused to give the landlord a signed paper stating that she was receiving $500 until the landlord gave her the money.  The landlord decided they would exchange the money with one hand while exchanging the paper with the other.  This didn't work out so well.  The girl just snatched the money and the paperwork, tossed the landlord aside, kept the key and then threw all the furniture around before leaving.

The landlord didn't want to call the police to make an incident report.  She couldn't even remember the girl's last name because it was only written on the rental application. I'm sure she wasn't watching when the girl collected her stuff from the laundry room and bathroom.  Those were some of the areas I was most concerned about as it would be where she could cause the most damage.

I feel bad for this old lady--from what she has told me her life is really miserable--but I'm having second thoughts about moving into this place.  I was already ignoring a bunch of red flags and I'm tired of putting myself into ####ty living situations that inevitably burn me in the end.  I can't even shake the small thought that maybe the old lady is manipulating me.  She gave me a receipt for the $500 I already put towards the deposit and I have not signed a lease.  She is upset that if I don't move in, she will be out the $500 she just gave back to the young girl.  

I recently bought a tent and sleeping mat and I was planning to get a gym membership so that I could try my hand at the homeless life.  WWYD?

Find another place. See if you can crash at someone you know house and offer to pay rent or something to them if you can afford it. I'd avoid this at all cost. 

My dad recently became a landlord last year (Not by choice) after one of his clients died and he was the only one in the will so he got 3 properties. There's a lot of ####ty people out there Tennant wise who will lie for almost anything. Their are also bad landlords too. The fact that the Old lady didn't even want you there just smells trouble. If the girl really was an issue she'd have welcomed you coming. What the young girl did after is wrong but it sounds like the landlord old lady might be a huge issue. 

Find a different place altogether if you can 

I've moved quite a bit lately.  I voluntarily paid for my last room through this month, gave them my security deposit and threw out all my stuff before spending a couple nights walking around/sleeping in the park.  It's a long story, I tried to check into the VA psych ward but was rejected.  I was pretty down about that but then an old lady in a nice neighborhood who cooks meals called and said she would try to do that again.  It was great for my health but she'd never had someone who could eat as much as me and her health is failing so it was too much work for her.  I didn't want to stay there without the meals so I was planning to do my tent thing but then I saw an ad for daily rental in another nice neighborhood, which is where I've been this last week. 

The owner is very nice and has even offered to reduce my rent if I stay.  He thinks I'm making a terrible mistake with this new old lady in the bad neighborhood.  There are a lot of positives to staying where I'm at and some of the negatives have been resolved.  One thing that makes me uneasy is having the 3rd bedroom rented to random people but all of the guys who've passed through have been good dudes.  I also worry that while the owner likes me, I may be getting on his boyfriend's nerves because I talk a lot about trivial stuff and my personality rubs some people wrong.

Really don't see a reason for you to leave where you are at right now honestly just stay there for now 

I've never been more underweight. 6'7 and 175.  When I was counting calories, 3,500 seemed to be my maintenance level but I can go well above that without gaining if I'm active. Last few years have been rough with IBS.  I'm still trying to figure out a healthy diet that works for me.

I think physical issues caused or exasperated the mental issues.  If it weren't for a weird deformity in high school and the botched operation that followed, I likely would have followed a traditional path.  I've always been hard on my body but it used to heal really well. Now, in addition to all my chronic injuries, little things that would heal in a week are dragging on for months.

I suppose this was just a thread for me to vent.  I'm not interested in counseling.  Many doctors have labeled me as bipolar  but I'm skeptical of psychiatry and the broad diagnoses they apply.  When I take no drugs at all, my behavior is better.  I also cut off my family.  It's not ideal but better to have nothing than a negative influence.  

The age clock is ticking.  If I was motivated I could turn things around.  But I'm not motivated. I don't want a family or a spouse.  No amount of money can give me what I want.  I understand why I pursued degenerate adventures, even if I choose not to any more.  I do want to make the most of what ability my body has left because I still enjoy being active and playing sports.  I have an ultrasound tomorrow morning.  Been suffering from groin/testicle pain for two years.  Maybe it's from a previous hernia repair, or maybe I picked up something from one of those crackheads.
This seems to be a desperation heave at the buzzer to gain interest in this thread.

Really don't see a reason for you to leave where you are at right now honestly just stay there for now 
Too late. I'm already living with the old lady and now I'm emotionally invested.  She shares her meals on wheels and any time I do something, even just putting a screw in place, she will sweetly ask how much she owes me.  I told her from the start that it would only be a short stay.  She hopes I will change my mind.  I hate to disappoint but I gotta do what's best for me.

This seems to be a desperation heave at the buzzer to gain interest in this thread.
Lol, sadly this is no fairy tale with 3somes and 8balls.  It's raw, pathetic and real.  I don't expect many people to be interested.  I passed through a homeless camp this afternoon and saw a lady resting in the tent while her dude was scavenging supplies from the bushes.  He paused and asked, "You live near here?"  "Yea, just passing through," I replied.  This trail is a shortcut to the 99 cent store.  He nodded but once I was a little ways along, he started shouting.  I couldn't make out the words over the din of the highway but it sounded aggressive. I didn't bother to turn around. 

I still plan to become homeless.  I don't want to live near these sorts of people or sleep in the unhealthy conditions afforded by highways.  I need to scout locations this month.  I'm no MacGyver so I will need to be reasonable close to resources like a Walmart in case my stuff is stolen and I need quick replacements.   I think this will give life more of a purpose than I've had in a long time.  Just need to take care of my feet, wear sunblock and drink water.

I gave my landlord a 30 day notice.  She took it in stride though it does baffle her that someone with money in the bank would voluntarily choose this.  Later, she knocked on my door and warned, "It can get down to 40 degrees there at night."  I assured her that a decent sleeping bag would remedy that.  "You should have been born a long time ago. You're like a caveman," She said.

"Yes," I nodded.   Except for the whole being mechanically talented and possessing ingenuity that we usually associate with cavemen.  The attribute working in my favor is that I grew up without luxuries which instilled a lifelong appreciation for simple living.  I'm tired of squandering money on cramped, dusty, moldy, smoky places with people who only cause me stress. I want nothing more than clean air and improved health.

Recently I've spent a lot of time thinking and talking about this but of course I still have apprehension.  I worry about having my sleep disturbed by police or other homeless.  Today I saw a listing for live-in helpers on craigslist.  Room and board are provided for the 8pm-8am shift.  Depending upon the needs of the individual this seems like it could be great or horrible.  I opened my email but struggled to write a few sentences.  I began to sweat profusely.  I don't even have a reasonable resume at this point.  It's a shame because I'm hardworking, honest, and conscientious.  I was always above average and usually one of the best at every lousy job I ever held.  Sure, I would inevitably find a reason to quit but no manager has regretted the good work I provided while there.  How can such information be conveyed? All the other prospective employees would claim similar but I've worked with those guys and they're full of ####.

I may never work again.  I applied for EBT yesterday.  Some classmates told me they had been getting $1,800 a month for pandemic relief.  Whew, I guess I missed out on that racket.  Between a gym membership, storage locker, food, and occasional supplies, I should be able to stretch my savings for 10-15 years.  That should get me to the end of the "good" years.  Thinking too far ahead will only bring me down.  I already spent a couple years stuck in a rut and ultimately decided that I don't have what it takes to step off that bridge.  So life goes on.  The burning in my nose will pass.  It may still be sensitivity from that bad chemical exposure last month.  Living in a dusty house full of cigarette smoke was never a reasonable idea.  I feel a little better already now that I have informed the landlord of the end date.

I didn't ever read this ...

god love you dude - I applaud your novelist nature

you do probably need to work on your need for attention though (gotta believe there are a number of other issues driving that as well)

btw:  I may never work again.

I didn't ever read this ...

god love you dude - I applaud your novelist nature

you do probably need to work on your need for attention though (gotta believe there are a number of other issues driving that as well)

btw:  I may never work again.
Isn't it better that I seek attention here in this fantasy world rather than exhaust the people around me in real life? Also, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one sticking it to the man.

I agree that my maturation became stunted at some point.  I have a lot of thoughts about that but the causes aren't very important any more.  Such self-centered focus does detract from writing.  It's a hallmark of amateurs.  Not sure if I can escape that.  I do think that if I get my hands on an Adderall prescription, I might be able to pump out a story that is interesting enough to compensate for amateur writing.  Things in Philly got even more wild after my old thread left off.  The story would touch upon a lot of topical subjects. BLM, mental health, family relationships.  My original idea was for my character to end up homeless and finally find happiness with nothing.  Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to make that reality so that the story can be 100%?    

Users who are viewing this thread