What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trending Deep WR Sleepers (James, Hodgins, Shaheed) (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
Been seeing these guys pop up on Twitter and various podcasts.

Shaheed - efficiency metrics off the charts last year and now has a real QB

James - under the radar production and now goes to the Chiefs

Hodgins - listed as the WR1 for the Giants and was one of the top fantasy WRs down the stretch last season

Thoughts on these 3 and would you add anybody to the list that has an ADP after WR50?

Hodgins - listed as the WR1 for the Giants and was one of the top fantasy WRs down the stretch last season

Thoughts on these 3 and would you add anybody to the list that has an ADP after WR50?
All 3 are worthy dart throws.

• Shaheed - I like the player, but it’s a bit of a crowded receiving room, and Carr isn’t quite good enough to support big production from multiple WRs. There’s a chance he & Shaheed develop a connection, but if (and it’s a big if) Michael Thomas plays, Olave, Thomas, & JuJohnson should hoover up most of the targets in what I expect to be a not particularly prolific passing game.

• James - like you said, sneaky production. With the Chiefs it’s all about opportunity though. They seem bullish on Skyy Moore, and MVS is still there. They also have Toney (for as long as he can stay healthy) and Justin Watson. And all the WRs are arguably 2nd ~> after Kelce in the receiving pecking order. So ok, let’s say James secures the WR3 role ahead of Moore, after MVS & Toney. He’s still the 4th option in that passing offense. Maybe the 5th after McKinnon. Could see a boom game or two - maybe a good best ball target. But for standard scoring I wouldn’t waste a roster spot, barring injury to multiple WRs ahead of him.

• Hodgins - I like him the best if the listed options, but the Giants aren’t a particularly prolific passing offense. Still, of the 3 he has the best opportunity, will likely have the largest target share, and I could see him having a fine FF WR3 season. That’s if Danny 2-nickels doesn’t regress, and I’m not convinced he won’t. The Barkley issue is also concerning as IMO he’s the engine that makes that offense work.

Others past WR50 (using draft sharks WR ADP)
• Doubs (60) could well emerge as GB’s WR1, possibly “1B” and at the least WR2 for what could be a surprisingly competent offense.

• DJ Chark (63) should be taken higher, IMO. Adam Thielen is ancient, and Chark is a bit underrated. He’s got a pretty complete skill set & not a lot of competition for targets in what should be an interesting CAR offense.

• Hunter Renfrow (67) - injuries completely derailed his 2022 season, and everyone seems to have collective amnesia about how good he was in 2021. He’s still fairly young, and assuming JimmyG is ok ,Renfrow should be Jimmy’s favorite target. IMO Adams isn’t a great fit for Jimmy’s noodle arm. And there remains the potential of Renfrow getting traded to a better team.

• KJO (62) - nobody wants KJO. Nobody cares about KJO. You can’t give away KJO in a trade. But KJO had a low key decent season last year, and that MIN pecking order hasn’t yet been established. He could well be the WR2 in MIN this year. Rookie WRs don’t always hit the ground running in the NFL On that potential alone he’s worth a speculative pick as a WR4-5-6 depending where he falls in your drafts.

that said, WR50 isn’t really all that deep. But these are definitely players I like more than some in the top 50.

Last edited:
My concern with Hodgins is that the Giants other targets were absolute trash last year, especially toward the end of the season. He should have more competition for targets with Darren Waller in, plus rookie Jalin Hyatt, FA Parris Campbell, and 2nd-year WR Wan'Dale Robinson coming back from injury. Not that any of those guys are world-beaters, but they should be much better than who they had last year.

I'll add Nico Collins to the list(could be the top WR for Houston, going into year 3), currently sitting at WR60 on FBG consensus ADP.

My concern with Hodgins is that the Giants other targets were absolute trash last year, especially toward the end of the season. He should have more competition for targets with Darren Waller in, plus rookie Jalin Hyatt, FA Parris Campbell, and 2nd-year WR Wan'Dale Robinson coming back from injury. Not that any of those guys are world-beaters, but they should be much better than who they had last year.
Yeah, good point. Plus Slayton & Shepherd are still there.

Well, if Hodgins wins the X role the targets should be there and he's really the only receiver of the bunch with his size profile which gives him the advantage to win that role IMHO. I like how he was used in the endzone too...could be a surprising TD leader.

I'll add Nico Collins to the list(could be the top WR for Houston, going into year 3), currently sitting at WR60 on FBG consensus ADP.
Nico is my top sleeper as many flock towards new and shiny.

We're mainly looking for guys with a shot to be top a top 30 WR. I'd look for players who are either young potentially emerging talents, or are bounceback candidates who have done it before & might not be washed. For teams I'm looking for teams that don't have a clear top receiver (such that the guy could emerge into that role), or which have a top passing offense & don't have a clear #2 receiver.

Promising teams:
teams without a clear leading receiver: CAR, HOU, NYG, maybe GB or NE
teams with elite passing offenses and no clear 2nd receiver: KC, BUF, maybe DAL

Young guys on those teams: Nico Collins, Skyy Moore, Rashee Rice, Jonathan Mingo, Khalil Shakir, Terrace Marshall, John Metchie, Tank Dell, Jalin Hyatt, WanDale Robinson, Romeo Doubs, Jayden Reed, (I guess Tyquan Thornton but bleh)
Also on those teams w some promise: Isaiah Hodgins, Richie James, and some others
Bounce-back candidates on any team: Michael Gallup, Hunter Renfrow
Possible emerging talents on other teams: Rondale Moore, Rashid Shaheed

Shaheed is interesting, he showed some real playmaking ability last year. However, I'm not sure the pie in NO is big enough to support a huge jump with Olave as the clear #1, and the potential of Michael Thomas taking playing time, if not production.

I think people are greatly sleeping on Rondale Moore. There's 80+ catch potential on a team that projects to be losing frequently. He's just gotta stay healthy, but if he can, he can be a WR3 at WR5 prices. I also second the Nico Collins mentions.

Going really deep, Marvin Mims interests me. I'm not expecting much from Tim Patrick coming off ACL surgery, and Sutton seemed to have zero rapport with Wilson a year ago. Payton trading up to make Mims his 1st draft pick makes me think he's a lot closer to relevance than he's getting credit for, and its not like Jeudy (who I kinda like at his ADP) has the best injury history or track record. I wouldn't be shocked if Mims ended up being a top-3 WR from this class, and that could start this year.

• Hunter Renfrow (67) - injuries completely derailed his 2022 season, and everyone seems to have collective amnesia about how good he was in 2021. He’s still fairly young, and assuming JimmyG is ok ,Renfrow should be Jimmy’s favorite target. IMO Adams isn’t a great fit for Jimmy’s noodle arm. And there remains the potential of Renfrow getting traded to a better team.
They signed Meyers to do his job. Who already has experience in the system.

Edit - I'm also surprised by how bullish everyone is on Collins, when Metchie was drafted a round earlier and now has a clean bill of health.

Who’s never impressed anyone ever at all.

He was literally the only pass catcher NE has had for the past two years. He's basically the prototype for an NE slot guy.
Edit - and he's getting paid like a top 30 wr, so there's the financial incentive to play him.

Meyers has been very solid for like 3 years now. Not his fault he's had QB/offense issues. Not that those are solved by any means, but I feel confident saying NE going from Meyers to JuJu was a downgrade and perhaps a big one.

Meyers has been very solid for like 3 years now. Not his fault he's had QB/offense issues. Not that those are solved by any means, but I feel confident saying NE going from Meyers to JuJu was a downgrade and perhaps a big one.
I see it as a lateral. Renfrow is a better receiver IMO.

He was literally the only pass catcher NE has had for the past two years. He's basically the prototype for an NE slot guy.
Edit - and he's getting paid like a top 30 wr, so there's the financial incentive to play him.
I still don’t think he’s very good. We can agree to disagree.

Hey, I hope the Raiders think he’s better so they’ll trade Renfrow to a better situation.

I still don’t think he’s very good. We can agree to disagree.

Hey, I hope the Raiders think he’s better so they’ll trade Renfrow to a better situation.
I think he was wildly miscast as a no1 and with a real alpha to draw attention off him he'll be able to match or better his 80/800 season and actually get in the endzone.

But like you said, agree to disagree. The fun of the game.

Shaheed is interesting, he showed some real playmaking ability last year. However, I'm not sure the pie in NO is big enough to support a huge jump with Olave as the clear #1, and the potential of Michael Thomas taking playing time, if not production.

I think people are greatly sleeping on Rondale Moore. There's 80+ catch potential on a team that projects to be losing frequently. He's just gotta stay healthy, but if he can, he can be a WR3 at WR5 prices. I also second the Nico Collins mentions.

Going really deep, Marvin Mims interests me. I'm not expecting much from Tim Patrick coming off ACL surgery, and Sutton seemed to have zero rapport with Wilson a year ago. Payton trading up to make Mims his 1st draft pick makes me think he's a lot closer to relevance than he's getting credit for, and its not like Jeudy (who I kinda like at his ADP) has the best injury history or track record. I wouldn't be shocked if Mims ended up being a top-3 WR from this class, and that could start this year.
Didn't you hear. Tim Patrick's parents said he was the best receiver in the building.

As a Texans fan, I'd fade Nico honestly. He's just missing "that thing" and I'm not sure this is the year he figures that out. If you want a really cheap Texans option, I think as Woods really shows his age this year it'll be Noah Brown.

Apparently Brown and Stroud clicked early in practice. I know Collins has been showing as of late, but I think once Dell and Metchie get going, Collins' lack of speed probably starts to give way to more opportunities for Woods/Brown and my bet would be Brown. Also don't forget the Texans have Schultz now too, which is the first time we've really had a TE threat in forever along with running more of the SF style offense. I just feel like Collins is an odd man out when trying to picture which role he'd have played on the 49ers last year.

As a Texans fan, I'd fade Nico honestly. He's just missing "that thing" and I'm not sure this is the year he figures that out. If you want a really cheap Texans option, I think as Woods really shows his age this year it'll be Noah Brown.

Apparently Brown and Stroud clicked early in practice. I know Collins has been showing as of late, but I think once Dell and Metchie get going, Collins' lack of speed probably starts to give way to more opportunities for Woods/Brown and my bet would be Brown. Also don't forget the Texans have Schultz now too, which is the first time we've really had a TE threat in forever along with running more of the SF style offense. I just feel like Collins is an odd man out when trying to picture which role he'd have played on the 49ers last year.
Collins is quite a bit faster (both vertically and laterally) than Noah Brown or 2023 Robert Woods.

I think its a mistake to give too much weight to what the 49ers offense looks like. They have some unique personnel (Deebo, CMC, Kittle) that I don't think the Texans (or any Shanahan disciple) would be stupid enough to just plug guys into those roles and expect to have an even decent offense.

Collins strikes me as the perimeter WR in the offense, with size and vertical ability that nobody else on the team has. Metchie/Woods in the slot, with Schultz being used closer to how he was in Dallas than how Kittle is uses. I feel like Davis Mills held Collins down a bit, I'm not saying Collins is some great WR, but I felt he showed clear development from year 1 to year 2, and he was seeing similar target shares to Cooks when both were on the field last year.

Edit - I'm also surprised by how bullish everyone is on Collins, when Metchie was drafted a round earlier and now has a clean bill of health.
Is Metchie in football shape?
Easy to root for the guy and it's awesome he's better now, but I wonder about he and Moreau

I think these are WW targets and not draft guys for redraft.
They probably don't do much until something happens and you get very little points the first 3-4 weeks.

Maybe preseason changes my thinking but I don't think you pick a guy in a crowded room but instead wait to see the cream rise to the top.

I have A LOT of Hodgins in best ball.

I think Jones and the offense will continue to improve under Daboll. Hyatt may hit a handful of homeruns this year, but I don't think he's going to be the snaps leader or target leader. From the summer news snippets--it sounds like Hodgins has done the most work with the 1st team.

For best ball, I like stacking the Giants. Danny Jones goes around round 10/11. Hodgins/Wandle/Hyatt are all dirt cheap. Week 17 matchup with the Rams--defense on the decline but still has the offensive pieces to put up points.

LOVE Mims.

He's my #1 owned player in best ball. The path to him being #2 in targets isn't that long or winding.

I think these are WW targets and not draft guys for redraft.
They probably don't do much until something happens and you get very little points the first 3-4 weeks.

Maybe preseason changes my thinking but I don't think you pick a guy in a crowded room but instead wait to see the cream rise to the top.

Yeah, these are deep targets mostly so would only apply to certain formats.

Reactions: Bri
Someone give me a clue who James is, I'm not googling something where I don't even know if that's a first or last name

I have A LOT of Hodgins in best ball.

I think Jones and the offense will continue to improve under Daboll. Hyatt may hit a handful of homeruns this year, but I don't think he's going to be the snaps leader or target leader. From the summer news snippets--it sounds like Hodgins has done the most work with the 1st team.

For best ball, I like stacking the Giants. Danny Jones goes around round 10/11. Hodgins/Wandle/Hyatt are all dirt cheap. Week 17 matchup with the Rams--defense on the decline but still has the offensive pieces to put up points.

I also have alot of Hodgins in best ball, but I pair him with Parris Campbell instead of Hyatt.

The breakout for all of these guys might be 800/5 instead of 500/4 that is expected.

I would rather take a chance on Baltimores new offense then the Chief's 2nd WR breaking out.
The Giants have 5 WR's that are all the same. Maybe the Saints but it's Andy Dalton.

Last edited:
The breakout for all of these guys might be 800/5 instead of 500/4 that is expected.

I would rather take a chance on Baltimores new offense then the Chief's 2nd WR breaking out.
The Giants have 5 WR's that are all the same. Maybe the Saints but it's Andy Dalton.
Going by Underdog ADP,

Bateman is going off the board at 89.
Flowers 90.

Shaheed 163
Hodgins 175.
James 227.

You don't have to choose between the Baltimore WR and these guys. They're several rounds apart.

Somebody missed the Derek Carr signing.

The difference between 800/5 and 500/4 can be pretty big. Could be 60+ points in PPR, at least 36 in any format.

Also, some of these names might be less guys you are relying on, and more guys who could have spike weeks. That's what I think of with guys Like Mims or Nico Collins. They could be guys who have WR2 stretches, but not necessarily top-40 finishes, and those are the types I tend to prefer for depth.

Somebody missed the Derek Carr signing.

The difference between 800/5 and 500/4 can be pretty big. Could be 60+ points in PPR, at least 36 in any format.

Also, some of these names might be less guys you are relying on, and more guys who could have spike weeks. That's what I think of with guys Like Mims or Nico Collins. They could be guys who have WR2 stretches, but not necessarily top-40 finishes, and those are the types I tend to prefer for depth.
brain fart. What's funny is neither the Saints or the Raiders have had 2 WR's in the top 36 in recent years.
Last year, Olave was WR24 and Shaheed WR73, Adams WR3 and Hollins WR46.

Agree on Collins. You can have Mims.
This will be fun to see who breaks out and who would've, could've, should'ved.

Someone give me a clue who James is, I'm not googling something where I don't even know if that's a first or last name
I guess I need to start my 2023 prep because Rickie James is the only name I recognize. I assume Hodgins and Shaheed must be rookies?

I did hop on the Rickie James bandwagon, party of one, last season. Soley based on his cameo in the Steve Smith NFL "Undercover Boss" style miniseries in which James made a good impression on camera. He wasn't bad as a $0 FAAB spot starter, going to KC should be an upgrade, I will probably add him to my $0-$2 end of the auction list for now, pending camp news.
Hodgins projects to be the Giants WR1. Closed the season strong over the final 5 games:

Averaged for 5 receptions for 50 yards with 4 TD’s in that stretch,

Had 8 for 105 and 1 against the Vikings in the playoffs.

I assume Hodgins and Shaheed must be rookies?

Shaheed was an undrafted free agent last year and flashed some big play ability. Do a search on Twitter and you'll see that some of his advanced metrics could signal a breakout. If anything happens to Thomas oe Olave he'll have upside and be fantasy relevant IMHO.

Last edited:
I assume Hodgins and Shaheed must be rookies?

Shaheed was an undrafted free agent last year and flashed some big play ability. Do a search on Twitter and you'll see that some of his advanced metrics could signal a breakout. If anything happens to Thomas and Olave he'll have upside and be fantasy relevant IMHO.
Surely you’re not suggesting Thomas could get injured.

"Despite the presence of Olave, Kamara, and Johnson, it was Shaheed who led the Saints in receiving over the last six games of 2022. In that six-game span, he had 22 receptions for 377 yards on 26 targets. He had more catches and yards than any other New Orleans player and was second only to Olave (36) in targets.

More than just a lightning fast deep threat, Shaheed showed that he's also a precise route runner. He pulled in an impressive 82.4% of his targets, which was second on the team to Mark Ingram's 88.9%. Ingram was targeted only 18 times, with most being high-percentage throws out of the backfield."

Rashid Shaheed Tabbed as Potential Fantasy Breakout Player

From Faust in the Shaheed thread.

I like a lot of the guys named in here and definitely have quite a few on my watch list. The thing for me is Shaheed already showed it on an NFL field, which I think trumps most projection or college stats or combine metrics we use to fluff up the other guys. I'm not saying he'll be a weekly starter for your team, or even a definite WR3; I do think he'll be a great ceiling flex/bye week fill in. And that he has a higher potential to become more than a lot of these other >150 ADP guys. And say what you will about Carr, but he's most definitely an upgrade over the Red Rocket. And Best Ball leagues... I'd want this guy everywhere for sure. Only thing I see holding anything back is if MT is back to his old self, and I just can't see that happening.

I definitely feel Shaheed has the goods to be a legit fantasy contributor a lot more than the other two guys mentioned, mainly because he's done it for a longer period, gets a QB upgrade, and has to speed to be a differencemaker in multiple facets of the game.

Hodgins projects to be the Giants WR1. Closed the season strong over the final 5 games:
Very interested in this, have no idea how it's going to shake out in NY with the addition of Waller. Heck, I could see a path for Parris Campbell being the most valuable NY WR, seems like anyone of these guys could step up, though Hodgins does have the size the other WRs lack (Waller could cut into his targets though I'd think.) it's gonna be a cluster. Probably end up with 4 WRs with 500-600 yds and 3-4 TDs, enough to create maximum frustration with all of these guys.

Very interested in this, have no idea how it's going to shake out in NY with the addition of Waller. Heck, I could see a path for Parris Campbell being the most valuable NY WR, seems like anyone of these guys could step up, though Hodgins does have the size the other WRs lack (Waller could cut into his targets though I'd think.) it's gonna be a cluster. Probably end up with 4 WRs with 500-600 yds and 3-4 TDs, enough to create maximum frustration with all of these guys.

Or if you are doing best ball and you grab 2 of those guys in rounds 15-20 you could get decent WR2 production between both Campbell and Hodgins. If they each have 600-800 yards, but mostly alternate the big weeks then i will be happy.

Last edited:
Renfrow isn't free. According to OTC, he's 18th highest paid WR. That's why they have been trying to trade him.

Or if you are doing best ball and you grab 2 of those guys in rounds 15-20 you could get decent WR2 production between both Campbell and Hodgins. If they each have 600-800 yards, but mostly alternate the big weeks then i will be happy.
Bingo.

Users who are viewing this thread