What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Troy Smith (1 Viewer)

Looks very good so far, but he has the bad habit of just heaving the ball up for grabs if he gets in trouble.Hasn't hurt him in first two games this season, but all few of those balls will end up as INTs before too long.
and some will end up as tds. nothing wrong with letting davis and crabtree make plays on balls. id say its generally worth the gamble depending on game situation. down by 7 on a 3rd and 22 certainly qualifies.
Exactly, did you see the td catch that Vernon had that was called back because of holding? That catch was sick.
I haven't read that catch being mentioned much in the recaps, but it was amazing. It would have been all over the highlights if not for the penalty.

Why won't singletary just commit to Troy for the rest of the season?!?!?
He's trying to keep Troy motivated. Deep down Singletary wants Troy to be the guy (because they are winning with him) but he does not want to make it easy for him.
I really don't think this is the reason. I think it's as simple as an inexperienced and lousy coach keeping his options open so he won't look like a total idiot if Troy starts playing like a 3rd string qb. It's easier to switch back to Alex if you don't say he's the backup moving forward.
What's the upside to committing to Troy? It would look like another reactionary move from an inexperienced/poor head coach if he did so. Smith has looked great so far, but there's a strong argument that he's put up some flukey numbers so far.

He's trying to keep Troy motivated. Deep down Singletary wants Troy to be the guy (because they are winning with him) but he does not want to make it easy for him.
I really don't think this is the reason. I think it's as simple as an inexperienced and lousy coach keeping his options open so he won't look like a total idiot if Troy starts playing like a 3rd string qb. It's easier to switch back to Alex if you don't say he's the backup moving forward.
What's the upside to committing to Troy? It would look like another reactionary move from an inexperienced/poor head coach if he did so. Smith has looked great so far, but there's a strong argument that he's put up some flukey numbers so far.
what argument? and how are his numbers fluky?

Can someone post a link of the would be TD to Vernon Davis? I keep hearing about it and I am a Davis owner.
just imagine a hawk swooping down and snatching a swallow out of mid flight just as another hawk was about the grab it. Thats what VD looked like (arms were reaching out like hawk legs)
:lmao: :ptts:

That was a pretty fantastic catch.
And of course there's always this one..Crabtree
This is what happens when you let your playmakers make plays. I wish Alex had grasped this concept. It won't always bounce our way but it's nice to see Troy isn't afraid to take chances. And what an arm! He barely flicks his wrist and the ball rockets to the receiver.

When you throw the ball into a pile of defenders it won't always end well. There were a few times he took gambles by throwing it to Crabtree, Morgan, Davis, etc. when they were surrounded by the opponent. I'm not knocking the guy for this just pointing out it won't always end so favorably.

Sando explains in this post.

perhaps those numbers reflect the playcalling as opposed to the abilities of any one player...on third and two the still mildly conservative offensive phillosiphy of the niners, will not call a 30 yard bomb (which perhaps they should according to those numbers, and what i saw on the field).

opposing teams know that nine times out of ten the niners are going to call plays that try and get the first down (3-5 yards) in that situation and play tighter to the line, making the field much shorter for Troy.

this is completely unsubstantiated on my part... i did not rewatch the game to see if this was the case and i have no proof to back it up...

just a thought that ran through my head whilst reading the linked article.

BAM

perhaps those numbers reflect the playcalling as opposed to the abilities of any one player...on third and two the still mildly conservative offensive phillosiphy of the niners, will not call a 30 yard bomb (which perhaps they should according to those numbers, and what i saw on the field).

opposing teams know that nine times out of ten the niners are going to call plays that try and get the first down (3-5 yards) in that situation and play tighter to the line, making the field much shorter for Troy.

this is completely unsubstantiated on my part... i did not rewatch the game to see if this was the case and i have no proof to back it up...

just a thought that ran through my head whilst reading the linked article.

BAM
Nowhere does he say his numbers are fluky. It is stated that his Y/PA is unsustainable, which is certainly true, but he could have that ratio take a big tumble and still be a very good QB.SF has excellent playmakers in the passing game. Gore catches well, and Crabtree and VDavis are excellent receivers. Smith is not afraid to put the ball up and let them make plays and yesterday they made play after play after play after play.

He reminds me of Favre a little bit.

I think Smith has a chance to be SF's long-term solution. If he is on your WW and you are looking for a QB2, I'd take a long look. Most young QB's need to sit and watch and learn for awhile, and he has done that for a few years now. He looks ready and definitely has the talent to play in this league.

The way they're talking about this today on espn it's as if Troy is qb for rest of season. Are we sure it's only official for this week?

His schedule does not look bad, I am thinking long and hard if he can get me over the hump with the loss of Romo, I am reeling with a Fitz &Young combo..

his weapons are very solid, and I know cecil cpeaks very highly of him, would you take him over vyoung or fitz @ this point?

week 16 sf@stl

week 15 sf@sd

week 14 sea@sf

week 13 sf@gb

week 12 sf@ari

week 11 tb@sf

Vince's schedule is hard to match:

week 11 was@ten

week 12 ten@hou

week 13 jax@ten

week 14 ind@ten

week 15 hou@ten

week 16 ten@kc

week 17 ten@ind

It actually synchs up well with Troy Smith, whose week 13 and 15 opponents are tough. Vince gets the Jags and Texans those weeks. You can't ask for easier opponents. Looks to me like the Kerry Collins experiment is over thankfully. I think he's out for two weeks, at least. So Vince should be the guy going forward, barring injury.

When you're rolling with lesser QBs, it's best to have as many options as possible, so I'd keep Fitz around, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread