What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Troy Williamson's Value In Dynasty League? (1 Viewer)

Baracuda

Footballguy
What do you guys think of Troy Williamson in a dynasty league? He showed flashes last year, but was inconsistent and a non-factor at times. But, assuming that Nate Burleson is gone, do you think he could be a solid sleeper next season? The knock on Williamson coming out was that he was a raw talent and he'll have a year under his belt and less competition for the #1 spot on the Vikings.

true speed demon. Wouldn't be a bad WR to go after if they land a QB that can stretch it out. I'd personally put him in the Braylon Edwards category. I think Matt Jones, Mark Clayton, Chris Henry and Reggie Brown all gained ground on the top few, but the order at the top hasn't changed IMO.

I like Williamson's ability to stretch the field with his amazing speed. That being said, I believe he's really a year away from seeing any significant playing time.

I like Williamson's ability to stretch the field with his amazing speed. That being said, I believe he's really a year away from seeing any significant playing time.
I also think he's another year away from breaking out, but he doesn't have too much competition if he shows that he can consistently run good routes. I'm reminded of KRob 's 2nd year when he was supposed to be the #2 next to DJax and he blew up for 1200 yards. The 2nd year seems to be the year were top 10 drafted WR's breakout so I consider Williamson a big sleeper this year.

williamson gets on top of DBs in a hurry... when the ball is in his hands, he has the mindset to attack the secondary downfield...

it wouldn't shock me to see him start at some point this year, but i agree with cecil that a more realistic expectation in terms of determining his buy/sell value would probably be to project him to do more damage in 2007...

there was good post above by team legacy... williamson does imo have a lot of upside... though since some scouts viewed him a reach & hardly anybody said edwards was... there is some implied separation in my mind until williamson proves otherwise (assuming edwards comes back strong from knee injury by 2006-07)...

williamson may have higher upside than clayton... but clayton could be a secret weapon... he got on a roll towards the end of the season & i was surprised at how well he would have done if last 4-6 games were prorated over a season... while not nearly as fast, he has among the most exceptional RAC skills i've seen in the past 3-5 drafts...

i might even rather have reggie brown... reid called him most talented rookie WR he has ever coached, & he definitely has WR1 measurables & skills, & for the present, the opportunity...

i'd rather have williamson than jones... though a few years from now we could say this was a pretty good WR class (if jones matures & developes as a WR he could be extremely dangerous in open field with his sick size/speed combo)... it may suffer a little from comparison with the supposedly historically good WR class of 2004... though even there, while fitz is the real deal & roy williams & lee evans could be... clayton surprisingly regressed (probably injury related) & reggie williams, michael jenkins & rashaun woods haven't set the world on fire so far...

class of 2003 has been disappointing... rogers has been a nightmare for various reasons... dre johnson has undeniable talent, but has been shackled by inept scheme & systemic problems with offense... taylor jacobs has done nothing... second rounder boldin has been the prize from that class... probably he & fitz the best two WRs to emerge from past four draft classes (counting this one, generally thought to be a down year for WRs)... counting back further than three seasons, just past that, fellow second rounder chad johnson would have to be one of best in the recent WR vanguard...

Last edited by a moderator:
I second this. A realistic goal for Williamson this season is to move up to #3 and play the slot position. Possibly netting 30 to 37 catches and 600 yards.I expect most of these yards to come from drag routes and underneath routes with the occasion 'go' route.

2007 will be the season we see if he does or does not blossom.

I like Williamson's ability to stretch the field with his amazing speed.  That being said, I believe he's really a year away from seeing any significant playing time.
I second this. A realistic goal for Williamson this season is to move up to #3 and play the slot position. Possibly netting 30 to 37 catches and 600 yards.I expect most of these yards to come from drag routes and underneath routes with the occasion 'go' route.

2007 will be the season we see if he does or does not blossom.
I agree, #3 in 2006 unless Travis Taylor gets injured (that Marcus Robinson will get injured is a given)

In Zealots startups, he's going as WR47, 161th overall on average. Players nearby:

Bryant, Antonio SFO WR 157

Kennison, Eddie KCC WR 158

Williamson, Troy MIN WR 161

McCardell, Keenan SDC WR 178

Smith, Jimmy JAC WR 184

What do you guys think of Troy Williamson in a dynasty league? He showed flashes last year, but was inconsistent and a non-factor at times. But, assuming that Nate Burleson is gone, do you think he could be a solid sleeper next season? The knock on Williamson coming out was that he was a raw talent and he'll have a year under his belt and less competition for the #1 spot on the Vikings.
It looks like he'll have opportunity this year. It was a little murky last year with so many WRs there and him being so raw but....looks good for this year.

In Zealots startups, he's going as WR47, 161th overall on average. Players nearby:

Smith, Jimmy JAC WR 184
i'd say that is pretty good value... he is untested, but i like what i have seen so far, in limited opportunity... i like his upside a lot more than safe & proven but rapidly eroding value of geezers like kennison, mccardell & smith...

In Zealots startups, he's going as WR47, 161th overall on average.  Players nearby:

Smith, Jimmy JAC WR 184
i'd say that is pretty good value... he is untested, but i like what i have seen so far, in limited opportunity... i like his upside a lot more than safe & proven but rapidly eroding value of geezers like kennison, mccardell & smith...
Lets keep this information under raps buddy. That is some premium Fantasy Football mentality there you throwing out to the masses.

Childress - RE: Wide Receivers

Even so, Childress said, the Vikings wouldn't be hurting for wide receivers.

"You still have four guys," he said. "We've got Travis Taylor and Koren Robinson, and we've got (Troy) Williamson, who is going to be a talent, is a talent, will be better in his second year, and then Marcus Robinson."

Williamson had an unspectacular rookie season with the Vikings, catching 24 passes for 372 yards and two touchdowns, but Childress is looking for the former No. 1 draft choice to blossom this fall.

"He's a bullet," Childress said. "He's a 4.3 guy (in the 40-yard dash). In my estimation, watching him here catching the football, he catches it better than I thought... . I expect him to make a big jump from Year 1 to Year 2."

I just traded for him with the 1.8 rookie pick this year. I like his chances over Jackson/Holmes.

Now to get Vincent Jackson also who I like more than some of these other guys like like Matt Jones or Chris Henry

Childress - RE: Wide Receivers

Even so, Childress said, the Vikings wouldn't be hurting for wide receivers.

"You still have four guys," he said. "We've got Travis Taylor and Koren Robinson, and we've got (Troy) Williamson, who is going to be a talent, is a talent, will be better in his second year, and then Marcus Robinson."

Williamson had an unspectacular rookie season with the Vikings, catching 24 passes for 372 yards and two touchdowns, but Childress is looking for the former No. 1 draft choice to blossom this fall.

"He's a bullet," Childress said. "He's a 4.3 guy (in the 40-yard dash). In my estimation, watching him here catching the football, he catches it better than I thought... . I expect him to make a big jump from Year 1 to Year 2."
:excited: :banned: :headbang: :hifive: :pickle:

Users who are viewing this thread