What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

True Detective: Tom went in to listen to the Cardinals game...in November. Mmmmmhmmmm... (3 Viewers)

I think everyone needs to temper their expectations after reading what was posted in here that this show was not initially intended to be a True Detective season and HBO threw that on there to increase viewership.
Oh is that real? I just figured somebody was speculating.

I know this is way down on the list of unbelievable things, but why would the young deputy's wife have an exam in her nursing class on December 24th? Even University of Phoenix wouldn't schedule tests on Christmas Eve, right?

I think everyone needs to temper their expectations after reading what was posted in here that this show was not initially intended to be a True Detective season and HBO threw that on there to increase viewership.
makes sense now cause there’s little “detective” work going on

I know this is way down on the list of unbelievable things, but why would the young deputy's wife have an exam in her nursing class on December 24th? Even University of Phoenix wouldn't schedule tests on Christmas Eve, right?
There's myriad things in this series that are unbelievable for picayune reasons and I think it's OKAY to call them out when you see them. This is just another example of one that seems so needless.

Here's another - and I'm sure I'll get lambasted for it - the fictional town of Ennis is small, right? Can't stretch more than a few miles in every direction. For context, Jodi Foster's character has to broaden her Tinder search to the metropolis of Fairbanks. Anybody in here besides me been to Fairbanks? Anyone? Bueller? Okay - it's TINY. It's a smaller city than Monroe, Louisiana for scale. Lewiston, Maine has more people than Fairbanks. You can drive from one end of town to other in minutes.

AND YET - Danvers and Navarro spend several minutes in the front seat of a car driving with the backdrop of town seemingly endless. No, that's not what small town Alaska has going on. A little mining town is going to provide about 45 seconds of backdrop if you drive a car through it.

Sorry, I'm supposed to suspend disbelief and accept everything as it is. But details matter to me and it's like this show didn't even bother with an editor. It's tarnishing a great franchise. Of course, our thread title says it all - Baseball in November, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh, I have no idea. I thought someone in here stated it as fact. And then figured it was true since Pizzolatto didn't have any input.

There's myriad things in this series that are unbelievable for picayune reasons and I think it's OKAY to call them out when you see them. This is just another example of one that seems so needless.

Here's another - and I'm sure I'll get lambasted for it - the fictional town of Ennis is small, right? Can't stretch more than a few miles in every direction. For context, Jodi Foster's character has to broaden her Tinder search to the metropolis of Fairbanks. Anybody in here besides me been to Fairbanks? Anyone? Bueller? Okay - it's TINY. It's a smaller city than Monroe, Louisiana for scale. Lewiston, Maine has more people than Fairbanks. You can drive from one end of town to other in minutes.

AND YET - Danvers and Navarro spend several minutes in the front seat of a car driving with the backdrop of town seemingly endless. No, that's not what small town Alaska has going on. A little mining town is going to provide about 45 seconds of backdrop if you drive a car through it.

Sorry, I'm supposed to suspend disbelief and accept everything as it is. But details matter to me and it's like this show didn't even bother with an editor. It's tarnishing a great franchise. Of course, our thread title says it all - Baseball in November, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Have you been to Cordova? The town is tiny but the road stretches out for miles on end in one direction (the other goes to a bridge that is busted) but no one lives on most of the road :shrug:

After loving the first two episodes, these last two have been meh at best. The writing is pretty choppy and not liking all these subplots that don't seem to have much of point :yawn:

And there are just some ABSURD things going on that we're supposed to accept.....

Like somehow the Coast Guard found a body in the dark black Alaskan ocean, managed to ID it (even though it was not wearing clothes) and notify the next of kin within like 3 hours? Yeah....that makes complete and total sense.

And there are just some ABSURD things going on that we're supposed to accept.....

Like somehow the Coast Guard found a body in the dark black Alaskan ocean, managed to ID it (even though it was not wearing clothes) and notify the next of kin within like 3 hours? Yeah....that makes complete and total sense.
devils advocate, she walked from the place she was at so she was probably still in town which probably means she floated up near the shoreline/near a pier. peoples first call would be to the coast guard to come get her, that said they would never say alaskan coast guard instead of us coast guard.

most of the towns up there are in bays that aren’t right on the ocean, you have to travel out the inlet to get back to the pacific or bering sea

This season definitely isn’t capturing my attention though, I’ll ride it out, especially since there isn’t a lot of other stuff out right now. Probably a good time to start clearing my DVR backlog or finding some movies

Finished E3. Ugh. I'll ride it out but this is pretty bad.
Exactly where i am.

Interesting takes. I'm enjoying it a lot more than S3.
The scene with the orange getting tossed back is a perfect example of why I'm annoyed.
I almost replied back when this was posted but forget why not, but I was wondering that was even real.

Last episode showed it's just the show's way to convey her and her sister's mental illness, right?

I almost replied back when this was posted but forget why not, but I was wondering that was even real.

Last episode showed it's just the show's way to convey her and her sister's mental illness, right?

That's what I'm thinking. Also trying to figure out what this one eyed polar bear is all about.

devils advocate, she walked from the place she was at so she was probably still in town which probably means she floated up near the shoreline/near a pier. peoples first call would be to the coast guard to come get her, that said they would never say alaskan coast guard instead of us coast guard.

most of the towns up there are in bays that aren’t right on the ocean, you have to travel out the inlet to get back to the pacific or bering sea
Says the guy in the coast guard. 😂❤️

Oh, I have no idea. I thought someone in here stated it as fact. And then figured it was true since Pizzolatto didn't have any input.

Issa López: In my initial conversation with HBO about it, they were like, “How do you feel about True Detective?” and I told them what I had in mind. And they said, “We love it. 10 episodes?” And I was like, “No,” because I wanted to direct every one of them, you know?

And as time went by there were several conversations where they were like, “Seven?” and I was like “No, six.” It was always six. It is tight for all the terrain we cover in the series, but at the same time, I am a firm believer in economy and saying what’s necessary and never overstaying your welcome, leaving people wanting more. So it was a perfect size, I think.

Night Country is based on a story you were working on before HBO asked you about True Detective, yes? Can you tell us a bit about what you initially wanted to do, and the process of making it a True Detective story?

It was a very raw creature. I had a very bare idea of wanting to create a murder mystery in the ice beyond the Arctic Circle. And [I wanted to show] these communities that we are not used to seeing, in this part of America that is rarely shown in a way that felt like real life — you know, like going to the supermarket and picking up your child from school and having a family fight and doing laundry — but at the same time with the backdrop of this very uncanny landscape, almost sentient.

I was playing with that when I got the call from HBO asking what I would do with True Detective and I thought it was absolutely meant to be. True Detective is all about the place, the environment. The place is a character in itself. And I thought that it was so amazing to be able to do something that felt so different from the bayou in the first one, and Los Angeles in the second one and from the Ozarks in the third one. So, you know, those are three very different sides of America. And then it just came to me that I had this ice story and it was just perfect matching of all the elements and it came together in a breath.

Well......two episodes left. I think muddling through with it should be like a guy limping his way at the end of a 10K just to say he was able to finish. This is not good. Foster is so unlikeable and the show is all over the map. That's about all I can say for this one.

Show sucks I'm sorry. Can't get past the weird spirit **** that inevitably is going to result in "well the stuff they are mining is some chemical that makes people see things"

And LOL I thought this was a typical 8 episode series, so this is all supposed to wrap up in the next 2 episodes?

Yuck

Well......two episodes left. I think muddling through with it should be like a guy limping his way at the end of a 10K just to say he was able to finish. This is not good. Foster is so unlikeable and the show is all over the map. That's about all I can say for this one.
it’s become my go to before bed because it knocks me out, one episode takes about 4 days because after 15 minutes i’m out cold

Yeah both my wife and I discussed bailing after episode 4. I do think there are kernels of promise and good storytelling in the series as well as some decent acting (Reis, particularly)

Frankly, I think I'd be enjoying this more (although, maybe, I'd have just bailed after an episode or two) if it wasn't tied to True Detective. I keep wanting season one and, instead, this season 4 reminds me much more of something like "The Outsider" which is fine but not great TV and I keep expecting Night Country here to be great.

Wow, didn't even consider this thing was only 6 episodes. Not holding out much hope now :kicksrock:
Eh, it definitely needs to get moving somewhere so I'm trying to view the 6 episode issue as a good thing. Plus I can't handle all that teal much longer.

Fingers-crossed it ends well and the nonsensical stuff we are seeing gets tied up sensibly. Obviously any hope that this will ever compare to Season 1 is gone.

Last edited:
I'll stay with it just to see what happens to that cop who is getting catfished. That's the most interesting storyline in the damn thing. Well, that and somebody as unattractive as Danvers having sex with every man in the state of Alaska. Jeez, fellas....how BAD is it up there?

I'll stay with it just to see what happens to that cop who is getting catfished. That's the most interesting storyline in the damn thing. Well, that and somebody as unattractive as Danvers having sex with every man in the state of Alaska. Jeez, fellas....how BAD is it up there?
And she can't even cook.

And she can't even cook.

Yeah, she just dumped an entire bird into the trash. Seriously? Can't imagine turkeys are cheap in the remotest parts of Alaska because as we all know thanks to WKRP in Cincinnati turkeys can't fly.

And she can't even cook.

Yeah, she just dumped an entire bird into the trash. Seriously? Can't imagine turkeys are cheap in the remotest parts of Alaska because as we all know thanks to WKRP in Cincinnati turkeys can't fly.
Also, she was going to cook an entire turkey in like...2 hours? Probably the most unrealistic thing in the entire show lol

And she can't even cook.

Also, she was going to cook an entire turkey in like...2 hours? Probably the most unrealistic thing in the entire show lol

Yeah, details like this would have never made the cut in S1 or top shows like BB/BCS. See a lot of them popping up throughout the season.

And she can't even cook.

Yeah, details like this would have never made the cut in S1 or top shows like BB/BCS. See a lot of them popping up throughout the season.
I suppose when it's dark 24/7 we don't really know what time it is. Plus it wasn't stuffed so maybe a 4 hour cook time? So maybe it was mid-afternoon? Seems unlikely though because she worked the entire day already and lot of cop shifts are 10 hrs or more.

Last edited:
i'm not familiar with Issa Lopez or her other works, but i'm getting a M Knight vibe here, like there's going to be some surprise! twisted ending that's gonna feed robot chicken episodes for next two years. and i don't mean sixth sense surprise, more like that mel gibson one...

i'm not familiar with Issa Lopez or her other works, but i'm getting a M Knight vibe here, like there's going to be some surprise! twisted ending that's gonna feed robot chicken episodes for next two years. and i don't mean sixth sense surprise, more like that mel gibson one...

Yeah, it's getting comically bad. That's a good comp. I think finishing will be a badge of honor.

Not sure if the “monster” girls remind me of night walkers from GOT or the girl from the Ring that comes out of the TV.

I think that is my major issue with it. Every character in this show is either unlikeable or boring to me. The story also hasn't really gone anywhere in 4 episodes so can't imagine a successful conclusion in two more. I was so numbed out with all the dialog in episode 4 that I stopped caring about what happened to the corpsicle dudes completely. The case has become secondary to learning about the lives of boring people who live in the cold and darkness....with ghosts. Even the ghosts are boring.

The entire attempted tie in to season 1 isn't really working for me either. Seems forced. Unlike season 1, I don't think I really care what the mystery is.

I think that is my major issue with it. Every character in this show is either unlikeable or boring to me. The story also hasn't really gone anywhere in 4 episodes so can't imagine a successful conclusion in two more. I was so numbed out with all the dialog in episode 4 that I stopped caring about what happened to the corpsicle dudes completely. The case has become secondary to learning about the lives of boring people who live in the cold and darkness....with ghosts. Even the ghosts are boring.

The entire attempted tie in to season 1 isn't really working for me either. Seems forced. Unlike season 1, I don't think I really care what the mystery is.
You didn’t find the old lady getting all dolled up for Christmas intriguing?!

I was waiting for the cop to solve the mystery why she made all that food. Seemed suspicious.

I was waiting for the cop to solve the mystery why she made all that food. Seemed suspicious.
There was literally no point to that scene. And I am someone who liked the fly episode of breaking bad.

Users who are viewing this thread