What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

True Detective: Tom went in to listen to the Cardinals game...in November. Mmmmmhmmmm... (4 Viewers)

TRUE DETECTIVE premieres strongly for HBO: 2.3m viewers for premiere. Another 1m for replay. Best debut for HBO since 2010's Boardwalk.

Maybe Woody's character has something going on with the woman who bought that information to him, which leads to MM character getting close to Woody's wife, maybe an affair, and that is what causes the end of their friendship/partnership. Woody's character said that he doesn't hold grudges.
Defiantly an affair between Martin and the "deposition" girl.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Kevrunner said:
Maybe Woody's character has something going on with the woman who bought that information to him, which leads to MM character getting close to Woody's wife, maybe an affair, and that is what causes the end of their friendship/partnership. Woody's character said that he doesn't hold grudges.
My guess would be MM ratted Woody out on the affair

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Kevrunner said:
My guess would be MM ratted Woody out on the affair
Probably tried to get some Eiffel Tower action and got shot down.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Kevrunner said:
For sure.

I liked it but wasn't blown away. I could see myself either being totally into after 3 episodes or totally done with it. We'll see where it goes from here, but it was a bit slow and a little annoying in a weird way.

But I'm giving it at least 2 more tries.

I liked it but wasn't blown away. I could see myself either being totally into after 3 episodes or totally done with it. We'll see where it goes from here, but it was a bit slow and a little annoying in a weird way.

But I'm giving it at least 2 more tries.
After reading the previews (somewhat spoiler-ish), I'm definitely giving it until at least episode 4. I liked the pilot well enough to give the series a chance.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Kevrunner said:
For sure.
Agreed. Marty is giving HER the depositions.

Good Posting Judge said:
Kevrunner said:
which leads to MM character getting close to Woody's wife, maybe an affair, and that is what causes the end of their friendship/partnership.
This is difficult to imagine happening. He's a really weird dude.
Yeah, but I wonder if the whole thing where he opens up a little to her about his daughter dying is foreshadowing that they might end up close to one another.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2014/01/13/how-hbos-true-detective-will-change-the-way-you-watch-television/

More importantly, this eight-episode arc is completely self-contained. If the show returns for a second season, Harrelson and McConaughey won’t be back. American Horror Story adopts this approach--the FX series changes settings and turns over most of its cast each season–but True Detective takes this idea to the next level.
:goodposting: Thanks. Solid article that goes in depth on how they are taking "this idea to the next level".

I dunno. I don't think it's going to be that easy of a show. MM banging his partner's wife could be seen coming down Broadway.

I think this show is going to get super weird.

"Then start asking the right ####### questions"
I watched this pretty hammered so I am not really sure what he is going for here. Did the black cops allude to them catching the dude in 95 but MM is saying they didnt?
I kind of got the feeling that he felt like they were accusing him, and he was telling them to start asking questions that might help them solve the case (a la by finding the person that actually did it, NOT him)

Nathan R. Jessep said:
pantherclub said:
I watched this pretty hammered so I am not really sure what he is going for here. Did the black cops allude to them catching the dude in 95 but MM is saying they didnt?
I kind of got the feeling that he felt like they were accusing him, and he was telling them to start asking questions that might help them solve the case (a la by finding the person that actually did it, NOT him)
This

Nathan R. Jessep said:
pantherclub said:
I agree with this, but also think he knows more about who did it than he's let on thus far.

Premier said:
My wife noticed that Woody doesn't have his wedding band on in present day, but does in the flashbacks. Fwiw.
well clearly he was going to bang that hot chick instead of checking those deposition files

Not too much happened,
Really? Some of the best character development I've ever seen inside a one hour premier.
Not enough explosions or werewolves.
:goodposting:

:lmao: at some of these "I'll give it a few more episodes" repsonses.

Expected it to be good, but it was way better than good. They keep showing it on HBO and I've watched it three times already. The same good posters from the BB thread will be keeping this one on the front page for the next eight weeks. This is a phenomenally well-done show on every level and is going to mind-#### everyone.

Not too much happened,
Really? Some of the best character development I've ever seen inside a one hour premier.

You can't see how someone might want to withhold judgement on the show until they see a little more of it? It was ok. Nothing phenomenal. I'll give it a few more episodes. It's not like Breaking Bad, that hit you from the opening scene. It's clearly a slow developing show.

Not too much happened,

Expected it to be good, but it was way better than good. They keep showing it on HBO and I've watched it three times already. The same good posters from the BB thread will be keeping this one on the front page for the next eight weeks. This is a phenomenally well-done show on every level and is going to mind-#### everyone.
wait....this isnt die hard 6????

I'm going with the MM knows they got the wrong guy but WH and the rest of the cops are pressured into busting the wrong guy but the Gov's religious cousin and rest of the media.

I'm going with the MM knows they got the wrong guy but WH and the rest of the cops are pressured into busting the wrong guy but the Gov's religious cousin and rest of the media.
Solid theory.

What else can this show do? I'd actually much prefer this pace to a show/character development. This show will go down as one of HBOs best, if I had to bet.

Definite creepy vibe from the minister (not Lester, the white guy). I'd prefer he be the guy instead of a zomg twist ending with Woody or MM being the guy.

You know you're into a show when you actually spend time thinking about how they might screw it up. I usually don't get sucked into stuff like that.

roarlions said:
The Ref said:
I like this take, but in addition I think MM / WH might know who the "right guy" is, possibly. Also think there might be more than just one "right guy"

The show reminds me of Fallen with Denzel. I hope they don't go full blown super natural like that movie, but, if done right, it could work.

Watching it again and just noticed a moment of pure awesomeness.

When they're in the church and Pastor Lester is telling them about the "devil neck" things...while he's talking, the camera cuts to a cross that's held together with thin rope above the altar. Lester says "I always thought it was something for children to do. Keep em busy. Tell em stories about why they're tying sticks together."

Love it.

Watching it again and just noticed a moment of pure awesomeness.

When they're in the church and Pastor Lester is telling them about the "devil neck" things...while he's talking, the camera cuts to a cross that's held together with thin rope above the altar. Lester says "I always thought it was something for children to do. Keep em busy. Tell em stories about why they're tying sticks together."

Love it.
:lmao: He'll always be Big Chief Lambreaux from "Treme" to me.

And he was the 2nd actor from "Treme" that has showed up on this show. The coroner was played by Davi Jay who had a small role on Treme.

Users who are viewing this thread