What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tyler Eifert, TE (JAC) (2 Viewers)

doowain said:
Run It Up said:
Run It Up said:
salmonstud said:
Eifert has the "Wow" factor. I drafted him every rookie draft I could this year. He generally went in the 1.8 - 1.10 range in my drafts. Safest player in the draft. He is Witten with better elusiveness after the catch.
In a better offense, with a better QB.
I like Eifert but no way Dalton is better than Romo.
I think we will see this disproved this season, but as it stands it is definitely my biased opinion.
Sure, Dalton has been terrible in the playoffs....and he certainly has some limitations, but those who label him as not very good just don't see the big picture. He's not on Romo's level as far as fantasy production, sure. But Dalton is the only QB IN NFL HISTORY to throw 20+ TDs and take his team to the playoffs in his first two years in the league.
How many quarterbacks have top 10 defenses in their first two years in the league?

Dalton can be a top qb going forward, but he isn't elite yet.
Flacco off the top of my head. I'm guessing there are more than you think. But I don't have the time to look it up

doowain said:
Run It Up said:
Run It Up said:
salmonstud said:
Eifert has the "Wow" factor. I drafted him every rookie draft I could this year. He generally went in the 1.8 - 1.10 range in my drafts. Safest player in the draft. He is Witten with better elusiveness after the catch.
In a better offense, with a better QB.
I like Eifert but no way Dalton is better than Romo.
I think we will see this disproved this season, but as it stands it is definitely my biased opinion.
Sure, Dalton has been terrible in the playoffs....and he certainly has some limitations, but those who label him as not very good just don't see the big picture. He's not on Romo's level as far as fantasy production, sure. But Dalton is the only QB IN NFL HISTORY to throw 20+ TDs and take his team to the playoffs in his first two years in the league.
How many quarterbacks have top 10 defenses in their first two years in the league?

Dalton can be a top qb going forward, but he isn't elite yet.
Not sure anyone is suggesting he is elite, I think he has huge upside especially for his ADP - has all of the pieces to continue to get better. That being said, Romo has never been elite despite having the pieces himself.

I am starting to think about taking Eifort at #5 in our rookie draft. I own Gronk and nothing else at TE. I had suspected that Austin or Lacy could fall to 5 in our draft - but the safe pick and the one that helps me the most might be Eifort.

I am starting to think about taking Eifort at #5 in our rookie draft. I own Gronk and nothing else at TE. I had suspected that Austin or Lacy could fall to 5 in our draft - but the safe pick and the one that helps me the most might be Eifort.
I don't know if Eifert will be startable from week 1 so he may not help you much. If you had an extra fill in guy for a few weeks just in case Gronk isn't ready to go week 1 then sure, Eifert might not be a bad pick.

Rookie TE Eifert making impression at Bengals camp

By JOE KAY
— Jul. 30 2:19 PM EDT

CINCINNATI (AP) — No question who's one of the early stars of filming for the Cincinnati Bengals' latest appearance on "Hard Knocks." Whenever the camera crews shoot footage of people catching the ball, rookie tight end Tyler Eifert is in the frame often.

Just as planned.

The 21st overall pick out of Notre Dame was expected to add another dimension to Cincinnati's run-of-the-mill passing game, which ranked only 17th in the league last season. With All-Pro receiver A.J. Green sidelined by a knee injury in camp, Eifert has been getting the ball more than many others with a lot more experience.

Cincinnati may have found someone to take the defense's focus off Green.

"He's done everything we thought and more," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. "He's just one of those guys that when he makes a play, you kind of look around and see if anybody else saw what he just did.

"He's running routes and catching the ball. He's very natural at what he does. He can beat man coverage no problem. He can beat zones. He's got a great feel for the game."

Those who have covered him the first five days of camp have been impressed. Eifert comes up with the ball even when there's someone right on top of him.

"He's got a different skill-set than a lot of tight ends, I think, as far as the way he runs routes," cornerback Terence Newman said. "He's a big guy, but he moves kind of like he could be a big wideout. It's kind of like the 49ers, what they do with Vernon Davis. He's versatile and he can do anything they ask him to do.

"He's going to be somebody to be reckoned with this year, for sure."

That was the plan.

Green emerged into one of the NFL's best receivers during his first two seasons, but Cincinnati hasn't been able to develop a consistent complement. Green had 97 catches for 1,350 yards and 11 touchdowns last season. The Bengals' next-best receiver was Andrew Hawkins with only 51 catches for 533 yards and four touchdowns. No other receiver had more than 18 catches.

Eifert was a dependable receiver at Notre Dame, where he lined up in the slot and at wide receiver positions. The Bengals plan to use him more like a receiver in two tight-end formations with Jermaine Gresham.

Given his progress in camp, it looks like that will be an option from the outset.

"It's an extra piece," Hawkins said. "Every year, guys are added to the offense, whether at wide receiver, running back, tight end. There's somebody new with unique abilities that will change things up a little bit.

"He's just another piece added to the offense. Hopefully it goes well for us, and so far it has. He's done extremely well this camp and has such a great feel for the game."

The Bengals had two main questions about Eifert: How well can he block and how quickly can he pick up the offense? They'll learn more about the blocking during preseason games. For now, he's working on figuring out what's expected in the passing game.

"I'm still trying to learn the offense, make sure I know all the plays and different positions," Eifert said. "But I think it's going pretty smooth.

"I'm starting to get to the point where I don't have to think about where I'm going and what I'm doing. It comes more natural. I hope it keeps going that way."

It'll be interesting to see how defenses decide to cover the 6-foot-6, 250-pound pass catcher. Defenses will likely try different matchups, guarding him with a linebacker or smaller cornerback or safety at times.

"It creates kind of a schematic matchup and it could favor us," Newman said. "It poses different matchup questions, and nobody's really going to know how to play it until you see what he does."

Rotoworld:

The Bengals plan to use first-round pick Tyler Eifert "much like a receiver" in two-tight end sets with Jermaine Gresham.
"He's done everything we thought and more," OC Jay Gruden said of Eifert. "He's just one of those guys that when he makes a play, you kind of look around and see if anybody else saw what he just did. ... He can beat man coverage no problem. He can beat zones. He's got a great feel for the game." Eifert will be a better TE2 prospect in re-draft leagues than Gresham this season.

Source: Associated Press

Rotoworld:

With A.J. Green (knee) missing practices, Bengals first-round TE Tyler Eifert has "definitely" become Andy Dalton's "favorite target."

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

I tried to get this guy in our rookie draft, I traded 1.01 for 1.03 and 2014 first. After that move I tried to flip 1.03 for 1.06 and another 2014 first in an attempt to not reach for Eifert, but the other owner would only offer me his 2.10 this year. I am still trying to get Eifert but the other owner hasn't even responded to any emails.

I have a feeling once Hard Knocks starts, this guys ADP will explode. Seems like early drafts are the best way to get a bargain on Eifert and to a lesser degree Bernard.

I have a feeling once Hard Knocks starts, this guys ADP will explode. Seems like early drafts are the best way to get a bargain on Eifert and to a lesser degree Bernard.
totally agree....I think there may have been a chance that he drop down in some leagues but I'm sure there will be a lot of buzz resulting from Hard Knocks...

Banger said:
ericttspikes said:
totally agree....I think there may have been a chance that he drop down in some leagues but I'm sure there will be a lot of buzz resulting from Hard Knocks...
:kicksrock:

Will see a big rise in ADP this week. Currently 171 (TE19).

Been taking him as my TE2 regularly in the 12th round in 12 teamers. My first big draft is the 17th. Hard Knocks is only on once a week right?

I took Hopkins at 1.06 in my draft (0.5 PPR and start 1 TE); seriously considered Eifert as, at the time, I only had Graham on my roster. I tried to trade for 1.12-2.04 picks but no one would do anything. He was finally taken at 2.04 - which is a steal IMO.

Took him @1.10(non-ppr and start 1 TE) in a 16 team league, was trying to trade up to 1.8 to grab him but to no avail, fell to me anyway...go figure

Banger said:
ericttspikes said:
Hard Knocks featured both Eifert and Gio and pro-ready weapons who are expected to produce right away. They did an Eifert-catches-everything montage and a Gio-has-sick-lateral-agility bit, too.

Banger said:
ericttspikes said:
Hard Knocks featured both Eifert and Gio and pro-ready weapons who are expected to produce right away. They did an Eifert-catches-everything montage and a Gio-has-sick-lateral-agility bit, too.
super.....

For all those getting massive chubbies on this guy, have you actually done some math on his redraft projections?

Last year Dalton threw for 3,670 yards. The OC, HC are exactly the same so highly doubt any change in philosophy.

Distribution was roughly as follows:

AJ Green: 1,277 (after subtracting 73-yd TD from Sanu)

Gresham: 737

Orson Charles (other TE): 101

Hawkins: 533

Sanu, Jones, Tate: 566

RBs: 256

Others: 200

So for 2013 assume Gruden really opens it up and Dalton throws for a career-high 3900 yards.

Even if you assume Eifert gets ALL of the incremental yardage (230) (3900-3,670), ALL of Charles' yardage (101), ALL of the others' (200) and steals 25% of Gresham's 2012 yardage (184), that only equals 715 total receiving yards.

Good enough for 10th overall TE yardage in 2012.

So his max upside in the dreamiest of scenarios in this offense is a redraft low-end TE1.

Plenty of other TE's available late (e.g. Pettigrew, Davis) who have much better odds of reaching those stats.

For all those getting massive chubbies on this guy, have you actually done some math on his redraft projections?

Last year Dalton threw for 3,670 yards. The OC, HC are exactly the same so highly doubt any change in philosophy.

So for 2013 assume Gruden really opens it up and Dalton throws for a career-high 3900 yards.

Even if you assume Eifert gets ALL of the incremental yardage (230) (3900-3,670), ALL of Charles' yardage (101), ALL of the others' (200) and steals 25% of Gresham's 2012 yardage (184), that only equals 715 total receiving yards.

So his max upside in the dreamiest of scenarios in this offense is a redraft low-end TE1.

Plenty of other TE's available late (e.g. Pettigrew, Davis) who have much better odds of reaching those stats

I
I believe most are talking about rookie drafts, in keeper or dynasty leagues.

Plenty of other TE's available late (e.g. Pettigrew, Davis) who have much better odds of reaching those stats.
Why assume no change in philosophy? They didn't have Eifert last year. Seems like if they are good coaches they will adapt to the talent they have this year. I mean, they obviously have a need for a play maker other than Green, and your stats bear that out. Hawkins, as far as I know, is out for a while. Sanu, Jones and Tate aren't exactly great talents, and if Hawkins is out, one of these scrubs will probably play slot. But you're right, no one really know right now. I took Pettigrew ahead of Eifert recently, but as my 3rd TE I'm more excited about Eifert. I know what Pettigrew can do (drop balls) and what his ceiling is. Eifert plays like a 6' 6", 250 lb WR and I doubt the coaching staff doesn't see the mismatch potential. I also expect him to be huge in the red zone when 2 have to cover AJ for the jump ball. Eifert can be deadly down there. I guess we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
ericttspikes said:
PhantomJB said:

Why assume no change in philosophy? They didn't have Eifert last year. Seems like if they are good coaches they will adapt to the talent they have this year. I mean, they obviously have a need for a play maker other than Green, and your stats bear that out. Hawkins, as far as I know, is out for a while. Sanu, Jones and Tate aren't exactly great talents, and if Hawkins is out, one of these scrubs will probably play slot. But you're right, no one really know right now. I took Pettigrew ahead of Eifert recently, but as my 3rd TE I'm more excited about Eifert. I know what Pettigrew can do (drop balls) and what his ceiling is. Eifert plays like a 6' 6", 250 lb WR and I doubt the coaching staff doesn't see the mismatch potential. I also expect him to be huge in the red zone when 2 have to cover AJ for the jump ball. Eifert can be deadly down there. I guess we'll see.
And they spent a first rounder on a guy known to be a pass catcher. Did they draft the guy to have him split time with Gresham and catch 200 yards in between blocking assignments? They had one weapon in AJ green and a plodding RB in BJGE. Now they have a second receiving weapon and a finesse runner to go with the plodder. Are we to assume they won't throw to the RB because last year they didn't?

I had this guy targeted for my 1.06 rookie pick and was concerned that I would be draft for need over BPA.

Now I'm beginning to wonder whether he will still be there. :unsure:

I agree, but his upside is in eventually taking over Gresham's role. That is a big IF, but also a possibility that should be accounted for.

I agree with a lot of this, but I think PhantomJB has a lot of good points as well. I see why for dynasty purposes theres a lot to like, but for redraft I question people who think he's a safe bet for your starting lineup. Gresham was TE10 last year, its not like he's going to disappear. Eifert definitely has mismatch potential and I agree he'll be a big RZ threat, but Rudolph had 9 TDs last year and still only finished TE11. I think for 2013, expectations should be modest.

Gruden really opening it up would have Dalton throwing for only 3900? I would think he has upside of 4200 yds, personally.

And they spent a first rounder on a guy known to be a pass catcher. Did they draft the guy to have him split time with Gresham and catch 200 yards in between blocking assignments? They had one weapon in AJ green and a plodding RB in BJGE. Now they have a second receiving weapon and a finesse runner to go with the plodder. Are we to assume they won't throw to the RB because last year they didn't?
To be fair the assumption would be because they didn't last year or the 10 years before that. As for where Eiferts stats come from, I think Hawkins is going way down and probably Dalton gains 400 more yards or so. Maybe a little down for Gresham.

I do think the Bengals see the 2 new guys as big factors in improving the offense. However, I also think people are underestimating Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu a bit. The Bengals coaches love both of those guys. Outside of AJ, they are probably really going to spread the ball around.

Overall, I am very excited about Eifert and the Bengals offense in general, but I don't see a whole lot of redraft upside this year with Eifert.

Sanu, Jones, Gresham, Eifert and Bernard are all going to have productive fantasy weeks. But it looks to me like the offense is going to exploit different matchups each week and it will be hard to get consistent receiving production from anyone other than AJ.

I'm definitely on board. Love him in dynasty, and will take a late flier on him as a TE2 in redraft formats. I think he has a nice upside as soon as this season if the Bengals do become a more dynamic offense and feature him more than Gresham in the passing game. Plus A.J. Green will definitely have all the defensive attention and double teams on him. I fully expect one or maybe even both of Eifert or Sanu to surprise a bit this year.

Would you guys take Eifert over Hopkins or Patterson if all were available at your pick?
Depends on league settings and my roster makeup, but assuming everything's pretty standard, I would not.
Generic 12 team PPR set up
I think he's a better prospect than those guys. A good WR will be worth more than a good TE in most leagues though. That's what makes the decision difficult.

If you want a safe, conservative pick I would go with Eifert. If you want to swing for the fences, I would go with Patterson.

Would you guys take Eifert over Hopkins or Patterson if all were available at your pick?
Depends on league settings and my roster makeup, but assuming everything's pretty standard, I would not.
Yeah, then give me the WRs. Unless your league is giving TEs some sort of bonus, even a mediocre WR will outscore a pretty good TE, and the positional scarcity is much higher at receiver, too.

EBF said:
xpiredcoupon said:
Adam Harstad said:
xpiredcoupon said:
I think he's a better prospect than those guys. A good WR will be worth more than a good TE in most leagues though. That's what makes the decision difficult.

If you want a safe, conservative pick I would go with Eifert. If you want to swing for the fences, I would go with Patterson.
I went for the double in this situation and took Hopkins. Agree with Adam - basic league, the WR is worth more. And I only had 1 TE on my roster at the time.

What's his upside?

I took him with pick 16 in my rookie draft in the middle of Hernandez doing the perp walk (was set to take Eifert at that spot regardless). I just haven't seen anything that made my jaw drop, but admittedly didnt watch him at ND.

What's his upside?

I took him with pick 16 in my rookie draft in the middle of Hernandez doing the perp walk (was set to take Eifert at that spot regardless). I just haven't seen anything that made my jaw drop, but admittedly didnt watch him at ND.
I think his upside is Gronkowski but he will actually end up being a lot more like Witten.

What's his upside?

I think his upside is Gronkowski but he will actually end up being a lot more like Witten.
His upside is Gronkowski if Gronkowski didn't have Tom Brady. I think it's an important distinction. Even if he's most similar to Graham/Gronk in skill set and usage, those guys are on another level partially due to Brees/Brady which Eifert won't have.

What's his upside?

His upside is Gronkowski if Gronkowski didn't have Tom Brady. I think it's an important distinction. Even if he's most similar to Graham/Gronk in skill set and usage, those guys are on another level partially due to Brees/Brady which Eifert won't have.
I meant for dynasty purposes. Situations can change. For all we know, he has Brady throwing to him next season. Look at Sidney Rice, he went from Gus Frerotte to Brett Favre to Tarvaris Jackson/Charlie Whitehurst all within 4 seasons on two different teams. All this between the ages of 22 and 25.

xpiredcoupon said:
depends on the scoring system and starting requirements
I am debating the same thing. Standard setup - no PPR. Start 1TE. I am considering taking Eifort over Hopkins and over Lacy as I will be drafting from the 5 spot in our rookie draft. Dalton - Eifort could be a great thing for many years to come. I like the situation. And this comes from a dynasty team that has lost Crabtree and Denario and now needs a #3 WR desperately.

I am also a Gronk owner. The value of a stud elite TE is about the most valuable thing in fantasy football right now. Tell me you don't dread playing the Jimmy Graham owner as you throw up whoever you have at TE against him?

I'm with you. Eifert slid into the third round in a May draft I was in. Eifert was still on the board and an owner announced he was finished picking. :confused: I traded him a 2014 3rd rounder for his 3.06 and he gave me the pick :pickle:

So basically I paid a future 3rd rounder for a guy that should have been a first round pick.

Although I have to admit at the time I selected Keenan Allen a spot ahead of Eifert. I still might do so today (of cource when I made the pick DX and Floyd were still healthy) I think Allen's value has increased since then. I'd still take him over Eifert today, but they decision would need to be made in the first round and not the third like it was in May.

I had a heck of a third round in that draft snagging Keenan Allen at 3.05, Tyler Eifert at 3.06, and Christine Michael at 3.10.

Users who are viewing this thread