What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U2 - Community rankings - FIN - #4 Sunday Bloody Sunday, #3 - One, #2 - Bad, #1 - Where the Streets Have No Name -Spotify links, thanks to Krista4 (4 Viewers)

#38 - You’re the Best Thing about Me (2017) 

Highest Rank - 26

Lowest Rank - 118

Where to Find it -Songs of Experience LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - Not Listed

Comment - This track is the last to fall from the last 3 albums. As the newest album left “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb” how much longer can you last? Regarding this track, As much as i gave Bono #### early on about his vocal extravagances he nails this magnificiently. His voice has become more pure and refined with age. A beautiful understated song. Not only is there my #26 ranking, there is a #36 ranking dragging this into the top 40. 

Next up, are we about to start an Achtung Baby run?

Last edited by a moderator:
#38 - You’re the Best Thing about Me (2017) 

Highest Rank - 26

Lowest Rank - 118

Where to Find it -Songs of Experience LP

Comment - This track is the last to fall from the last 3 albums. As the newest album left “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb” how much longer can you last? Regarding this track, As much as i gave Bono #### early on about his vocal extravagances he nails this magnificiently. His voice has become more pure and refined with age. A beautiful understated song. Not only is there my #26 ranking, there is a #36 ranking dragging this into the top 40. 

Next up, are we about to start an Achtung Baby run?
I don’t really remember this song. But pretty confident it’s not better than Bullet the Blue Sky.

I don’t really remember this song. But pretty confident it’s not better than Bullet the Blue Sky.

There are about 150 U2 songs it’s not better then, but here we are. At least some of the dead weight is getting lopped off. :lol:  
Least we dont have to hear this anymore.

I seem to be one of the few that might actually be excited for a new album.

Only 1980-2004 left and 2004 takes a big hit soon. 

There are about 150 U2 songs it’s not better then, but here we are. At least some of the dead weight is getting lopped off. :lol:  
Nah.  This doesn’t belong in the 150 range.  It’s a bit bland, but it isn’t a bad song.

Look, the reality is we are getting rankings based off 4 people’s lists.  That means we get more variability than if we had 100 people submit lists.  One of the things I love is that it means I’m re-listening to songs like this one……if it was #100 or 120, I might have just ignored it.  But it was 38, so I listened.  And it was solid.  I’m not going to compare it to another group because some in here consider it offensive (🙄) but this is a simple, pleasant song.  I like it.  #38?  Oh, hell no.   But — I didn’t submit rankings.  Kudos to those who did.  This thread is awesome.  I still love U2’s music after all these years.

#38 - You’re the Best Thing about Me (2017)   Highest- 26    Lowest- 118     Songs of Experience LP

Comment - last to fall from the last 3 albums. Regarding this track, As much as i gave Bono #### early on about his vocal extravagances he nails this magnificiently. His voice has become more pure & refined w age. A beautiful understated song. Not only is there my #26 ranking, there is a #36 ranking dragging this into the top 40. 
Songfact:
This guitar-heavy anthem was released as the lead single from SoE on September 5, 2017. The tune is one of the most straightforward love songs that U2 have dropped. Bono penned the track as a love song for his wife, Ali, after he had a nightmare that he had destroyed their relationship.  This was a way of telling his wife, Ali, how much she means to him, something he felt was important in light of current events.  The lyrics were written by Bono 
"You're putting out a song about your girlfriend when the world is on fire?," Bono asked. "Yes. Joy is an act of defiance."  
The song title was inspired by a comment that Irish media personality Eamon Dunphy made to Bono in a Dublin bar, telling him the best thing about him was Ali.

Musically, "You're the Best Thing About Me" originated from the band's attempt to write a song in the spirit of Motown, combining rhythmic music w a joyful mood. (although Edge said there was nothing "obviously Motown" about the end result)

Bono wanted U2 to create joy in these insane times:  "Unlike happiness, joy is one of the hardest human emotions to contrive for an artist but it is the mark of my favorite artists whether that be the Beatles, Prince, Beethoven, Oasis. It is life force itself. And I think something to do w the spilling over of gratitude for just being alive.

Edge: "I think maybe even more important than ever in these times it's important to have that joy, because that's the best response."

Edge sings a full verse near the end of the song:
      "I can see it all so clearly
       I can see what you can’t see
       I can see you lover her loudly
      When she needs you quietly"

The song has a pained coda of, "Why am I walking away?"
Bono:  "I never wanted to do Ali the disservice of a sentimental song, so I wrote a midlife crisis one instead.  It is a portrait of an idiot."

Release:  A week prior to the song's single release, U2 re-recorded it while trying to find an arrangement they could perform live, returning an early demo Edge found where the song had a more guitar-oriented style.  Edge said that as a result of the musical change, the lyrics "came to life" & the song had a counterbalance, as he believed the prior version was lyrically too reflective when it was mellower. He said the band worked "furiously" on the new version of the song for 2 days to meet their deadline for submitting it.

The single's blue cover photograph, taken by the band's photographer Anton Corbijn, depicts the Edge's daughter, Sian, wearing a military helmet.  Link
The song  reached #1 on the US Adult Alternative Songs chart. (U2's record-breaking 13th track to top that chart)

The song received its TV debut during U2's visit to The Tonight Show on September 8, 2018. On the show, Bono described their new single as "punk-Motown" & "punk Supremes," adding, "In these difficult times it's important to tell your loved ones how you feel."

3 Official Remixes were released:   
U2 vs Kygol  (electronic dance remix by Norwegian DJ Kygo)
Acoustic Version
'Sci-Fi Soul Mix' which is intended to be the preferred format for radio stations.

Video:  Directed by Jonas Åkerlund & filmed in early Sept 2017 during the band's tour, the music video is a travelogue featuring the 4 band members sightseeing & meeting & greeting in various places around NYC. The location is fitting as the quartet played their 1st US club gig there in December 1980.  The Irish band called the visual; "a serenade to the city's iconic symbols of American compassion & liberty."

You're the Best Thing.....w Orchestra backing
You're the Best Thing - U2 at the BBC/Abbey Road w full Orchestra - Dec 2017
You're the Best Thing.....from 2017 JT Tour

You're the Best Thing & Get Out of Your Own Way - Bono + Edge Acoustic (2:45 of intro....but the 2 songs done acoustically by just Bono & Edge are excellent, IMO)

Been played 84 live times

U2’s Bono Talks About ‘Sing 2’ on NBC Today show
The lead singer of rock band U2, Bono, is behind some of the most famous songs of several generations, & now he’s lending his voice to the upcoming animated film “Sing 2.”
TODAY’s Jenna Bush Hager talked to him about his 1st acting role, U2’s latest projects & more – and then got a big surprise!

=========================================

Bono & Scarlett Johansson - on Ellen
Scarlett Johansson chatted about her 4 1/2-month-old son, Cosmo, & revealed whether he gets along with his 7-year-old sister, Rose. Meanwhile, Scarlett's "Sing 2" co-star Bono talked about how he & his wife will celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary next yr — & how they're still constantly learning things about each other.

(wonder if the name Cosmo came from following U2??)

I love Discotheque.  It is a wall of sound. Adam’s bass work is amazing.  Was really into Howie B at the time and his fingerprints are all over this track (and others on Pop.  What an underrated album Pop was.  WAY ahead of its time.  

#37 - Until the End of the World (1991)

Highest Rank - 19

Lowest Rank - 106

Where to Find it - Achtung Baby LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -40/218 - Written for the most underrated Wim Wenders film, “Until the End of the World” is the sound of the snake slithering up the tree in the Garden of Eden after getting Eve to take a bite of the apple. It is a conversation between Jesus and Judas. It is about the sharpest, deepest betrayal, but the twist comes at the end: “I reached out for the one I tried to destroy / You, you said you’d wait / Till the end of the world.” Ultimately, forgiveness triumphs. The noise behind the lyrics is enormous and overpowering, embodying the pain of disloyalty, both for the person committing the bad act and the one suffering from it.

Comment - Top class album track. Wouldn’t it be great if all album tracks had this quality. The musicianship and production on this is just a class above.

Next up, the second last track from HTDAAB, which one will it be? Hello Hello (Hola) or Oh, You Look so Beautiful tonight

Until the End of the World is my favorite song from U2's best album and would have been in my top 5. 

Someone had it at 106?  :lmao:  

That's it, I am now following this countdown under protest. ;)  

#37 - Until the End of the World (1991)

Highest Rank - 19

Lowest Rank - 106

Vulture.com ranking and comment -40/218 - Written for the most underrated Wim Wenders film, “Until the End of the World” is the sound of the snake slithering up the tree in the Garden of Eden after getting Eve to take a bite of the apple. It is a conversation between Jesus and Judas. It is about the sharpest, deepest betrayal, but the twist comes at the end: “I reached out for the one I tried to destroy / You, you said you’d wait / Till the end of the world.” Ultimately, forgiveness triumphs. The noise behind the lyrics is enormous and overpowering, embodying the pain of disloyalty, both for the person committing the bad act and the one suffering from it.

Comment - Top class album track. Wouldn’t it be great if all album tracks had this quality. The musicianship and production on this is just a class above.

Next up, the second last track from HTDAAB, which one will it be? Hello Hello (Hola) or Oh, You Look so Beautiful tonight
Some of their best lyrics, and a forthright, compelling musical track. 37 may not be too far off from where I would put it. 106 is “do you even U2, bro”?

Some of their best lyrics, and a forthright, compelling musical track. 37 may not be too far off from where I would put it. 106 is “do you even U2, bro”?
 Yep, but this is what happens when the ranking is based off of a very small sample size. All it takes is one person having a screwball opinion and  this is the result.  My comments are mostly in jest when it comes to certain songs being too high or too low (my comments are meant to be light-hearted and just in good fun), but 106 for this one feels like we need to call for an investigation. :lol:  

Ghost Rider said:
Until the End of the World is my favorite song from U2's best album and would have been in my top 5. 

I felt like I was too low . . . and I was the highest ranker at 19.

Ghost Rider said:

Pip's Invitation said:

Ghost Rider said:
 Yep, but this is what happens when the ranking is based off of a very small sample size. All it takes is one person having a screwball opinion and  this is the result.  My comments are mostly in jest when it comes to certain songs being too high or too low (my comments are meant to be light-hearted and just in good fun), but 106 for this one feels like we need to call for an investigation. :lol:  

I felt like I was too low . . . and I was the highest ranker at 19.
Not only was there a 106, there was a 74. I am second highest at 41.

Just wait until the next 2 tracks. These tracks would be top 20 for certain, maybe pushing top 10 except for one ranking. 

Thing is, one ranker is bottom, often by far on 23 of the top 50 tracks. I am second lowest on a lot of them and can see why most are ranked low. Not always. I checked his top 20, different, but 10 of them land in the top 20. Out of other 10, 4 rank in the top 40, 3 are anomalies I 100% agree with and 3 I vehemently disagree with. 

Pip's Invitation said:
Was the 106 ranking for UTEOTW from the same guy that had Bullet at 186(?). If yes, then I would like to order a recount with only the three other lists. 🤨

Was the 106 ranking for UTEOTW from the same guy that had Bullet at 186(?). If yes, then I would like to order a recount with only the three other lists. 🤨
I may do something like that after we finish, but I have to defend the ranker. He may have had a different list with more time, but stepped up and ranked from 228-1. In hindsight I dont do this the same way, but I was originally going to do this all by myself, but was hoping to get others. 3 guys rose to the challenge, with with probably not enough time to do so. 

With 36 tracks to go, we have 7 rankings in the 100s to go. 6 from one guy. 3 i agree with but i didnt have the stomach to rank where i felt and 3 I thought WTF?  2 of those WTF moments are the next 2 tracks. When this ranker doesnt like a track, he really doesnt like it

Like I said, out of his top 20, i can see 17 of them being totally justifiable. 3 not so much lol. Then again I dont like 3 of anarchys top 20 and about the same from the other ranker. I am pretty sure they would think the same of my list. 

No one said boo when his by far the lowest ranking on Get Out of Your Own way, Zoo Station, Exit or All Because of You came around

#42 - Every Breaking Wave (2014)

Highest Rank - 39

Lowest Rank - 88

Where to Find it - Songs of Innocence LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -131/218 - Bono has often said that while he might not understand certain things in the world, he understands relationships, and writes about them with empathy and nuance. He’s also drawn to using the sea as metaphor, which works here. The choruses are bright and impassioned.

Comment - Bye Bye Songs of Innocence. Nice album track. May be a grower with more time. Surprisingly for a newer track I am equal lowest on it. I prefer 6 other tracks on this album to this one. Its a nice song and all, but it lacks a spark. 

Next up, A rankings anomaly for the second last track we see from Pop
I missed this one when it was posted. I was lowest (probably as expected). Don't love it, don't hate it. I listen to it when it comes on. I have occasionally sought it out to listen to. But IMO not the same level of energy, commitment, or enthusiasm as back in the day. Granted, at the time, the band members were in their mid-50's when they recorded it. High energy rock is a young man's game. You called it missing a spark, and I tend to agree. 

Lets do #41 while I am here and begin the Casey Kasem countdown of the Top 40 tomorrow.

#41 - Discotheque (1997)

Highest Rank - 58

Lowest Rank - 95

Where to Find it - Pop LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 63/218 - Is this “Where the Streets Have No Name” or “New Year’s Day”? No, but it has a good beat and you can dance to it, and the video is hilarious: pouting Larry, Adam with a giant disco ball over his crotch, and major homoeroticism between Edge and Bono. A lengthy book could be written about the disaster that was Pop and the subsequent tour, but this track, at least, is a good bit of fun.

Comment - Interesting. This song works, unlike a lot on this album. Not perfect by any stretch, but a fun tune and a fun video. Weirdly enough lands at #41 despite its highest ranking being 58. It does have rankings of 58,58 and 59. Even Vulture has it at #63. The difference in ranking a song #40 overall and #58 overall is very slight. 20 ranking spots difference by one individual and it moves to the top of this tier (40) or the bottom (58)

Next up, All that you can’t leave behind amazingly still has 5 tracks to go. The first of these lands soon. Or will we have an aptly numbered/named track here?
Still a little fuzzy on the math. I ranked it 58th (highest) and it ended up 41st. I know, I know, with people bludgeoning some other songs, that left the ones where no one hated a song ranked higher. I

They actual released a different version for The Best Of 1990-2000 album (which I don't love . . . toned done, muted, and not as crisp). I always preferred the Single Mix better (even over the album version). I also like the Mexico City PopMart version. The entrance for the encore was over the top.

Still a little fuzzy on the math. I ranked it 58th (highest) and it ended up 41st. I know, I know, with people bludgeoning some other songs, that left the ones where no one hated a song ranked higher. I
The maths is easy to explain. It had rankings of 58, 58, 59 and 95 for a total of 270. That was the 41st lowest total. We could average it out to a cumulative rank of 67.5, obviously still 41st lowest overall. 

We can question the methodology, but with only 4 rankers there is no room to do anything different. 

In future I would either weight higher rankings more heavily ie double points for top 50, triple for top 25 or something like that, or get more rankers and drop the low and high. 

#37 - Until the End of the World (1991)  Highest-19    Lowest-106    Achtung Baby LP
Vulture-40/218 - Written for the most underrated Wim Wenders film, “Until the End of the World” is the sound of the snake slithering up the tree in the Garden of Eden after getting Eve to take a bite of the apple. It is a conversation between Jesus & Judas. It is about the sharpest, deepest betrayal, but the twist comes at the end: “I reached out for the one I tried to destroy / You, you said you’d wait / Till the end of the world.” Ultimately, forgiveness triumphs. The noise behind the lyrics is enormous & overpowering, embodying the pain of disloyalty, both for the person committing the bad act & the one suffering from it

Comment - Top class album track. Wouldn’t it be great if all album tracks had this quality. The musicianship & production on this is just a class above.
Songfact:
This dense, tribal-stomp track defines U2’s nothing-is-simple dictum when writing songs. In 1990, Bono initiated the riff for a song called “Fat Boy,” but it didn’t go anywhere – until the Edge picked back up during the AB recording sessions & refashioned it as part of the band’s contribution to the soundtrack for German filmmaker Wim Wenders’ 1991 film which was called Until the End of the World. Not only did the re-recorded, revved-up new version wind up on U2’s own album as well, but, as the Edge has said, “We told Wim, ‘You can have it, but we want it too. … By the way, we’re borrowing your title!'”  The song can be seen as a pretty blunt reference to Judas' betrayal of Jesus.  Here is the song in the movie

Lyrics:   
The lyrics were inspired by a brief falling out that Bono & Edge had.  Bono wrote the lyrics relatively quickly at his father-in-law's house in Wexford, having woken up w the idea of a conversation between Jesus Christ & Judas already in his head. Coincidentally, the Irish poet Brendan Kennelly was also writing a book of poems about the betrayal of Jesus called Book of Judas. "It was an epic coincidence, because I was given the poems to review after the album was finished," Bono recalled. "The whole Zoo TV tour that followed owes much to one of Brendan Kennelly's great lines: 'the best way to serve the age is to betray it.' That became our theme for the next couple of yrs, to do everything U2 weren't supposed to."

The lyrics of the 1st verse discusses The Last Supper that Jesus had w his Apostles;

Haven't seen you in quite a while
I was down the hold just passing time
Last time we met was a low-lit room
We were as close together as a bride and groom
We ate the food, we drank the wine
Everybody having a good time
Except you,   You were talking about the end of the world​

the 2nd is about Judas identifying Jesus w a kiss on the cheek in the Garden of Gethsemane;

I took the money, I spiked your drink
You miss too much these days if you stop to think
You led me on with those innocent eyes
You know I love the element of surprise
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You, you were acting like it was The end of the world​

the final verse's lyric is about Judas' suicide after being overwhelmed w guilt & sadness at his betrayal of The Son of God.​

"In my dream I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows, they learned to swim

Surrounding me, going down on me
Spilling over the brim

Waves of regret and waves of joy
I reached out for the one I tried to destroy
You, you said you'd wait 'Til the end of the world"​

Recording:
Bono had difficulty finding a key he could sing in, as he remarked that he sings most songs "a little bit too high or a little bit too low". Consequently, the only melody he felt comfortable singing was conversational. (Sidenote:  Although the song was recorded in the key of E, live performances have always been played in a higher key, F# on Zoo TV & PopMart, G on all other tours.)

Producer Daniel Lanois provided additional percussion, playing congas heard during the song's introduction. 

An early version of the song called "I Feel Free" was among the unfinished songs that were leaked & bootlegged months before the AB album was finished. link

In 2000, this was used in the trailer for the movie Proof Of Life.

In 2005, U2 played this when they were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
This song was ranked #35 when Rolling Stone ranked their Top50 U2 songs.   (very close to our FBG ranking)

Video:   The video was directed by Richie Smyth & filmed at Windmill Lane Studios in Dublin w/ the clips of the band being filmed at different times over the course of a wk. The video includes a few shots The Edge covered in plastic wrap & at the end we see Bono blow kisses to the camera.  “There was a funny moment when we finally had Edge wrapped completely. We had been chatting & joking w the stylist & for a minute I forgot that Edge couldn’t breathe. We had to look for scissors, & had to stick our fingers through. In fact, that’s where that moment in the edit comes at the end where you can see the rapid breathing by Edge. That was the first thing we shot because it looked cool.”  The Bono interview took place on a Friday night, & had to pull Bono out of an interview to finish filming the video.

The video was never released for airplay, nor was “Until the End of the World” released as a single beyond a promotional CD. However, the video was eventually released on the compliation “Achtung Baby: The Videos, The Cameos, & a Whole Lot of Interference from Zoo TV” in 1992.  

U2 often play this song in concert, & in recent years it has been reworked somewhat, it's become quite a ferociously played song & is a fan favorite.   Live - 2015 from Paris on the I+E tour)

Been played live 607 times!!.....This has proved to be an incredibly popular song from 1991 AB & has been played on just about every tour U2 have done since that album was released.  (However, it was NOT played on the 2017 JT or 2019 JT Tour.)

#36 - Vertigo (2014)

Highest Rank - 15

Lowest Rank - 182

Where to Find it - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -78/218 - If this song hadn’t been in an Apple ad, everyone would have loved it. It’s not serious, but it is interesting. Bono describes it as being trapped in a nightclub (and there is definitely some crappy nightclub named “Vertigo” out there) that you do not want to be at. Through that lens, even the botched count-off at the beginning makes sense; there’s always some slob who thinks they speak the local language when they do not. There are good lines, there are great images — it’s really just a rock-and-roll song. There was, however, no need to play it twice during a show, which U2 were entirely too fond of doing.

Comment - The 182 ranking really sinks this. We have rankings of 15, 16 and 26 along side of it. If the lowest ranking is a 50 instead, this lands at #11. To me if this made top 10 it would have been one of the surprises of the whole exercise. It was a track that was derided on release, including by me. It wasnt until I saw it live that i loved it. Not the first time,  but the second time in the one concert. I dont know what research went into doing this song twice in the same concert, but it worked a treat on me. Totally disagree with the Vulture comment on it. Unashamedly commericall, like the Killers with ""Are we Human or are we Dancer"", the opening lyrics of “Uno, dos, tres, catorce” rubbed some close minded the wrong way. Theres a reason for it which i will let Nemesis explain. 

Next up, seeing where Bullet the Blue Sky landed shocked me, but didn’t surprise me. This next track from Achtung Baby and where it ranks truly does shock me with a low of #35 overall. Three of us had rankings inside the top 25 within 3 of each other. Even vulture was within a few of us. Once again one ranking sinks it. After #35 the anomaly bombs aren’t as prominent and barely pop up after that. #35 is a biggie though.

BTW, don’t let outliers get you down, JML. Don’t let your good deed go punished or unappreciated for dumb reasons. This thread is great and the rank ordering means less than the camaraderie and discussion it has engendered for you guys. Good work. 

BTW, don’t let outliers get you down, JML. Don’t let your good deed go punished or unappreciated for dumb reasons. This thread is great and the rank ordering means less than the camaraderie and discussion it has engendered for you guys. Good work. 
It’s all good. Next two days will be the worst for the anomaly ranking. Settles down after that. 

Enjoying the discussion and knowledge acquired. We are getting to the pointy end of this which is exciting. 

Never liked this tune and the countoff and Apple ad had nothing to do with it. The vocals on the verse just annoyed me to no end, so much so that the chorus couldn’t rescue it. The video was super cool though. 

#36 - Vertigo (2014)

Highest Rank - 15

Lowest Rank - 182

Where to Find it - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -78/218 - If this song hadn’t been in an Apple ad, everyone would have loved it. It’s not serious, but it is interesting. Bono describes it as being trapped in a nightclub (and there is definitely some crappy nightclub named “Vertigo” out there) that you do not want to be at. Through that lens, even the botched count-off at the beginning makes sense; there’s always some slob who thinks they speak the local language when they do not. There are good lines, there are great images — it’s really just a rock-and-roll song. There was, however, no need to play it twice during a show, which U2 were entirely too fond of doing.

Comment - The 182 ranking really sinks this. We have rankings of 15, 16 and 26 along side of it. If the lowest ranking is a 50 instead, this lands at #11. To me if this made top 10 it would have been one of the surprises of the whole exercise. It was a track that was derided on release, including by me. It wasnt until I saw it live that i loved it. Not the first time,  but the second time in the one concert. I dont know what research went into doing this song twice in the same concert, but it worked a treat on me. Totally disagree with the Vulture comment on it. Unashamedly commericall, like the Killers with ""Are we Human or are we Dancer"", the opening lyrics of “Uno, dos, tres, catorce” rubbed some close minded the wrong way. Theres a reason for it which i will let Nemesis explain. 

Next up, seeing where Bullet the Blue Sky landed shocked me, but didn’t surprise me. This next track from Achtung Baby and where it ranks truly does shock me with a low of #35 overall. Three of us had rankings inside the top 25 within 3 of each other. Even vulture was within a few of us. Once again one ranking sinks it. After #35 the anomaly bombs aren’t as prominent and barely pop up after that. #35 is a biggie though.
It’s one of their greatest rockers and it’s easy to see that once it’s no longer played on Apple ads on TV every 2 minutes. The riffage is just killer.

The 182 ranker probably remembers the Apple ads and nothing else about it. Or was scarred by said ads. 

Not sure where this would land for me, but it would likely be my highest-ranked song from 2004 or later. 

Vertigo is a solid tune, but top 20?  Top 40? No chance in hell. Better than Bullet the Blue Sky and Until then End of the World? :no:  

Note: I am still enjoying the heck out of this thread, and props to Lunchbox again for running it, but some of these are just mind boggling. 

Ghost Rider said:
Vertigo is a solid tune, but top 20?  Top 40? No chance in hell. Better than Bullet the Blue Sky and Until then End of the World? :no:  

Note: I am still enjoying the heck out of this thread, and props to Lunchbox again for running it, but some of these are just mind boggling. 
Just wait until tomorrow.

Out of the 35 remaining tracks, 7 are ranked lower than 59 by Vulture, all the way up to 2 being ranked in their 100s. 

The other 28 were the ones expected to rank high and will. The only question is the order. Considering that only 1 track was top 10 by all of us, our number one, the final rankings will have mild surprises, but should have no shockers. 

Just wait until tomorrow.

Out of the 35 remaining tracks, 7 are ranked lower than 59 by Vulture, all the way up to 2 being ranked in their 100s. 

The other 28 were the ones expected to rank high and will. The only question is the order. Considering that only 1 track was top 10 by all of us, our number one, the final rankings will have mild surprises, but should have no shockers. 
Jesus.  I can already guess where this is going tomorrow, and it will make me physically ill.

#36 - Vertigo (2014)  Highest- 15     Lowest- 182     How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb LP
Vulture-78/218 - If this song hadn’t been in an Apple ad, everyone would have loved it. Bono describes it as being trapped in a nightclub that you do not want to be at. Through that lens, even the botched count-off at the beginning makes sense; there’s always some slob who thinks they speak the local language when they do not. There are good lines, there are great images — it’s really just a rock-&-roll song. There was, however, no need to play it twice during a show, which U2 were entirely too fond of doing

Comment -It was a track that was derided on release, including by me. It wasnt until I saw it live that i loved it. Not the 1st time,  but the 2nd time in the 1 concert. I dont know what research went into doing this song twice in the same concert, but it worked a treat on me. Totally disagree w the Vulture comment on it. Unashamedly commercial, like the Killers w ""Are we Human or are we Dancer"", the opening lyrics of “Uno, dos, tres, catorce” rubbed some close minded the wrong way. There's a reason for it which i will let Nemesis explain. 
Songfact:   (note:  this song took over 2 yrs to develop & I found a lot of vague overlapping info, so I'm going include a bunch of it & let you go thru it.  Personally, I'm not seeing the "Trapped in a Nightclub" angle, but whatever....)
The Edge listened to a lot of the Buzzcocks, the Sex Pistols & the Who when U2 began work on 2004’s HTDAAB, & the influence of those raging guitar bands is very clear on the lead single. “It’s just a great, visceral rock & roll song,” Edge said. “It’s very simple: drums, 1 guitar, 1 bass & the vocals.”

This song is notorious for its intro, in which Bono says "Uno, dos, tres, catorce," which is "1, 2, 3, 14" in Spanish. One theory is that Bono was directing listeners to The Bible: 1st Testament, 2nd Book, 3rd Chapter, 14th verse.  Another theory is that he did it because HTDAAB was U2's 14th album.    When Bono was asked about the intro in an interview, he said:   “There may have been some drinking involved”.

Development & Recording: 
The song originated from a 2002 demo that Edge called "Full Metal Jacket" & recorded at his home in Malibu while playing along to a drum loop that Larry had recorded for him.  Upon hearing the demo, Bono was immediately impressed & thought it had the makings to become a song on the next album.  In the beginning, Bono's original set of lyrics was inspired by Leonard Peltier, a Native American rights activist who was controversially convicted of killing two FBI agents.  The song was subsequently retitled "Native Son", & after extensive experimentation on it, the band recorded & mixed a version of the song w the producer at that time, Chris Thomas. The group were so excited by the song, they sent it to Interscope Records, which was equally excited by it. However, Bono called the decision a mistake & said the song ultimately "wasn't as good as [they] thought".  Eventually, the band brought in Steve Lillywhite to finish the album & he suggested a change in recording venues. 

During the recording sessions, Bono took a 1 week break to get away from it all & went on a pilgrimage to visit the home of 1 of his favorite poets, Pablo Neruda, who lived in Chile.  Per Bono:  "I was w my childhood friend Guggi & I had a meal in the inn next door where I poisoned myself. I thought I was going to die. It was just me & Guggi, there was no one else in the inn, even the innkeeper had gone home. I was laying on the ground, throwing up at 10-minute intervals & Guggi was trying to get water but it was locked behind the bar. When the innkeeper came in, she found me on the ground. I said, ‘Can you call a doctor?’      She said, ‘You really don’t want to meet the doctor,’ I thought, ‘Okay, don’t call a doctor, just call us a taxi.’ Anyway, somewhere in & around there emerged a song’.    (maybe this is inspiration for "Vertigo"?)

Meanwhile, the band re-recorded the backing track for "Native Son". When Bono returned, the song subsequently was deconstructed & the lyrics were changed around, w various iterations of the song being called "Shark Soup" & "Viva la Ramone". At 1 point, Bono wrote a completely new set of lyrics in Spanish, remnants of which would survive in the completed version of the song. Eventually, the song transformed into "Vertigo", but the group were still considering several possible variations of the chorus. At the suggestion of some outsiders, the band kept the "Hello, hello" version.  

U2 producer Steve Lillywhite, on how "Native Son" became "Vertigo" <--if you are into "How did this song morph & evolve from the start into the finished product?.......you'll want to listen to this.

Release & Charting: 
Vertigo was the album's lead single (released Nov 8, 2004) and was also used in commercials as part of a big promotional deal w Apple (For those that don't remember). The commercials, where many people 1st heard the song, promoted Apple's iPod. Apple also released a special-edition iPod w the signatures of the band members engraved on the back, & made the entire U2 catalog along w special bonus tracks available for download at iTunes for $150.

U2 made many high-profile appearances to promote the album, including performances on Saturday Night Live & the Grammy Awards. 

In the US, the song peaked at #31 on the Billboard Hot 100 & #1 on the Alternative Songs chart.
In Denmark, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Spain, & UK.......went to #1.
While Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland...was Top 10.

This won 3 Grammy Awards: Best Rock Song, Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal & Best Short Form Music Video. U2 performed on the show, but didn't play this - they played "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own," which Bono dedicated to his father.

U2 played this when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005.

This song was ruthlessly parodied on the South Park episode "More Crap." The plot of the episode revolved around the character Randy Marsh breaking the world record for largest piece of crap, which was previously held by Bono. Bono is featured throughout the episode trying to beat, & then preserve this record. Almost everywhere he goes (including poor nations in Africa) he sings run around pointing & singing his "yeah, yeah, yeah" outro of "Vertigo." He also answers his cell phone w the "Hello, hello" part of the chorus. Link

This song landed at #25 when Rolling Stone ranked their Top50 U2 songs.

Vertigo - HQ version  An early simple performance video, filmed in the bands own Hanover Quay studios (HQ) & was used for some promotion of the song while the main video was being finished.

U2 - Vertigo (Temple Bar Mix)  Bono singing vertigo with Edge playing the banjo
Acoustic with only Bono + Edge - Ellen DeGeneres show
Bono & The Edge Are Ellen's Assistants for the Day: Part 1  :P

Been played played 531 times.........516 (full song)  at 473 shows.......and 15 times as a snippet:

This song is notorious for its intro, in which Bono says "Uno, dos, tres, catorce," which is "1, 2, 3, 14" in Spanish. One theory is that Bono was directing listeners to The Bible: 1st Testament, 2nd Book, 3rd Chapter, 14th verse.  Another theory is that he did it because HTDAAB was U2's 14th album.    When Bono was asked about the intro in an interview, he said:   “There may have been some drinking involved”.
Superfans: Here are some cryptic reasons based on very close and detailed analysis for why the countoff is the way it is.

Bono: Nah, I was drunk.

😆

It’s one of their greatest rockers and it’s easy to see that once it’s no longer played on Apple ads on TV every 2 minutes. The riffage is just killer.

The 182 ranker probably remembers the Apple ads and nothing else about it. Or was scarred by said ads. 

Not sure where this would land for me, but it would likely be my highest-ranked song from 2004 or later. 
I like the song.  

Mmmm, i think it was pretty obviously a nod to Steve Lillywhite who produced their first 3 albums and HTDAAB, which i am not sure how it qualifies as the 14th album but thats what I reliably read. I think we have to count Passengers and Under a Blood Red Sky at least. 

#35 - Love is Blindness (1991)

Highest Rank - 21

Lowest Rank - 164

Vulture.com ranking and comment -27/218 - The guitar line borders on insanity, while the vocals teeter on the edge of the pit of despair. The lyrics are more linear than Bono usually favors, and you wish he had chosen to be more abstract. It’s like a knife sticking out of the center of your chest. Bono thought about sending it to Nina Simone, and he should have. That would have been unbelievable.

Comment - I am shocked at where this lands. Let’s look at the rankings. 21, 22, 24 AND 164.  Even Vulture had it at #27. If the fourth ranking was 26, this lands at #12 overall. A 50 ranking gets it to #19. Even a #100 ranking places it at #23.  Anyway the track itself, A perfect album closer to an almost flawless album. This one is shocking, but the #34 ranked song annoys me more. Our anomalous out of kilter rankings are really down to about 10 and each one of us is a song killer. No one more than 4 times. We dont have a ranker killing a song by 30 or more ranking spots anymore though. Maybe 15 spots is the worst left. 

Next up, we say goodbye to our 4th album. Will it be All I want is you from Rattle and Hum, Gone from Pop, Stay (Faraway So Close) from Zooropa, Gloria from October or City of Blinding Lights from HTDAAB. One of these tracks ranks higher than everything from the Joshua Tree

Highest Rank - 21

Lowest Rank - 164

Vulture.com ranking and comment -27/218 - The guitar line borders on insanity, while the vocals teeter on the edge of the pit of despair. The lyrics are more linear than Bono usually favors, and you wish he had chosen to be more abstract. It’s like a knife sticking out of the center of your chest. Bono thought about sending it to Nina Simone, and he should have. That would have been unbelievable.

Comment - I am shocked at where this lands. Let’s look at the rankings. 21, 22, 24 AND 164.  Even Vulture had it at #27. If the fourth ranking was 26, this lands at #12 overall. A 50 ranking gets it to #19. Even a #100 ranking places it at #23.  Anyway the track itself, A perfect album closer to an almost flawless album. This one is shocking, but the #34 ranked song annoys me more. Our anomalous out of kilter rankings are really down to about 10 and each one of us is a song killer. No one more than 4 times. We dont have a ranker killing a song by 30 or more ranking spots anymore though. Maybe 15 spots is the worst left. 

Next up, we say goodbye to our 4th album. Will it be All I want is you from Rattle and Hum, Gone from Pop, Stay (Faraway So Close) from Zooropa, Gloria from October or City of Blinding Lights from HTDAAB. One of these tracks ranks higher than everything from the Joshua Tree
Almost as good an album closer as All I Want is You, which is one of the best album closers by anyone. Love Is Blindness is stark and gorgeous, and could easily have become a torch-song standard if written in an earlier era. 

One of those tracks should finish at number 1. :D  

As for Love Is Blindness, yeah, this is a bit low, and somewhere in the 20s does seem more fitting, but 35 isn't that bad either.  Great song, love the atmosphere. Wish that solo would have gone on longer. 

Highest Rank - 21

Lowest Rank - 164

Ok, this isn’t the song I expected based on the comments yesterday.  That said, this is a song that has grown on me more and more over the years.  Always liked it, but man, it’s just an amazing song.  @Pip's Invitationsaid it better than I could.

I ranked it in the 30s — there are simply many songs I enjoy more — but mid 30s U2 is still a great place to be.

Zero idea how all of those listed tracks are higher than all of Joshua Tree, but this is part of the fun of learning what other people love/hate/etc.  Was going through a few outlier rankings with my kids last night (because they also love U2) and my son was losing his mind.  (“How is Discotheque 30+ spots higher than Angel of Harlem?  Do people hate U2 or something?”).   We had a short talk about how our own opinions and preferences are just OUR opinions and preferences.  They aren’t moral statements.   Except for some of the glaring wrongs like Another Time Another Place being ranked 154. ;)

Mmmm, i think it was pretty obviously a nod to Steve Lillywhite who produced their first 3 albums and HTDAAB, which i am not sure how it qualifies as the 14th album but thats what I reliably read. I think we have to count Passengers and Under a Blood Red Sky at least. 
Yes, i read where some fans were trying to debate the 11 studio albums vs 14 overall count. 

#35 - Love is Blindness (1991)  Highest- 21    Lowest- 164   Achtung Baby LP
Vulture-27/218 - The guitar line borders on insanity, while the vocals teeter on the edge of the pit of despair. The lyrics are more linear than Bono usually favors, & you wish he had chosen to be more abstract. It’s like a knife sticking out of the center of your chest. Bono thought about sending it to Nina Simone, & he should have. That would have been unbelievable.

Comment - A perfect album closer to an almost flawless album.
Songfact:
The 12th & final track on their 1991 album AB. The song was written on piano by lead singer Bono during the recording sessions for U2's 1988 album R&H. (Kind of funny.....because I would bet $$ that most U2 fans would say this song originally came from Edge!!!)  Originally intending to give the song to singer Nina Simone, the band decided to keep it for AB after playing it together. They did not include the song on R&H because they believed it was not "U2 enough". 

Lyrics & background:
The haunting track has multiple viewpoints.....1 of them drives home the point that LOVE for anything–be it a partner, a country, or a god–can deprive us of all good sense & vision. It may even cause us to betray or destroy the object of our love.  A destructive love through the eyes of a terrorist, who loves his cause enough to the point of killing the innocent to supposedly further it.

"A little death without mourning / No call & no warning / Baby, a dangerous idea that almost makes sense"
Bono recalled: "There's nothing more deadly than an idea – or a person – that's almost right."​

Another component of the song describes a failing romance, suggesting a quite desperate love where nothing else matters but that love.

Bono:    "The lyrics [mix] up the personal & the political.  There was some reference to the little death, which can be taken to mean a faint during orgasm but also works as an image of terrorism.  The song has images of terrorism, bomb-building, clockworks & cold steel, parked car. In a personal sense, I have observed the phenomenon of a person planting a kind of landmine that yrs later they will accidentally tread on & blow their lives to pieces. You can watch people doing it, willfully getting involved in actions they will pay a very heavy price for later. Trajectory is everything." 

"It's a great end to the album & probably one of Bono's finest lyrics." - Edge

Recording:
During the recording sessions for AB, guitarist Edge separated from his wife, Aislinn O'Sullivan, & the separation had a major effect on the development of the song;

Edge explained that travelling to Berlin to write & record provided him w an escape from his failing marriage: "I was disappearing into the music for a different reason. It was a refuge in a way. That approach didn't completely work. You know, I wasn't really... in a good positive headspace. I was running away, I suppose." While recording the guitar solo that concludes the song, the Edge "put everything into it, all the feeling, all the hurt, all the angst, everything went into that solo." Bono said, "his whole life came out of him when he played... when we went for the take, 1 string broke & he just kept playing harder & harder. Another string broke. And he has such a light touch, ordinarily, he's so gentle. All that left him for a kind of rage. And yet there's not 1 bum note in there."   Audio engineer Flood said the "bold, unadulterated, naked [guitar solo] sound was a combination of the part, the moment, a good guitar, a small amp, a simple mic. Edge just got an idea, tried it, & it worked straightaway.  

Bono on Edge's solo:  
"The ending guitar solo was a cathartic experience for Edge.  I was pushing him & pushing him & pushing him, & he played until the strings fell off. Actually, you'll hear strings snapping during the solo towards the end. He was, I think, in tears on the inside, & the outside was just raging."

The production team gave bassist Adam Clayton's bass a "low end bass throbbing effect", which the Edge described as "a real stroke of genius from the production team." Drummer Larry Mullen, Jr.'s drum pattern was taken from U2's 1987 single "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and slowed down. 

Upon the album's release, music reviewers wrote the following about the lyrics/music:

• "With its stark, churchlike organ intro, pulsating bass synth & guitar reverb stretched into a hallucinatory squall, it brilliantly describes the discord & dread that provide a constant undertow to AB. And yet, through its alluring sonic palette & wounded but sensual vocal, 'Love Is Blindness' also maps out a search for harmony & salvation".

• "The song suggests that love can operate only through a willful self-deception, a voluntary surrender to what one knows is an illusion. The singer begs his lover to 'wrap the night' around him because, as he proclaims, 'I don't want to see.' The singer knows that the image he creates of his loved one is false, but it is the only image that can satisfy him. He must perceive his beloved in idealized terms, so she can reflect back to him the image of himself that he desires to see."

• "It's a bleak account of a failing romance that takes us back – again – to the shadowy world of deceit, infidelity, & betrayal. It depicts love at the end, the very end, of its tether. It is as bleak & as despairing a view of the world as you're likely to get, reflecting the emotional climate in which the entire album had been made.  In terms of its mood, 'Love Is Blindness' had the dark, sensual & decadent feel of pre-war Berlin", adding that the lyric "Love is blindness / I don't want to see" was "a desolate acknowledgement of the terrible reality that it is sometimes better not to know."

• "its sentiments made it the perfect conclusion to Achtung Baby, with Edge's playing as "a mournful, ejaculatory guitar solo, stabbing out thick emotional blues notes that linger & then fall away like tears."
"Love Is Blindness" made its live debut on the group's 1992–1993 Zoo TV Tour & was performed in 154 of its 157 concerts. It was commonly played as either the penultimate or closing song. On multiple occasions Bono brought a girl from the audience on to the stage to dance with during the song.  Following the tour, "Love Is Blindness" has been played live only two other times.

Lyrics     (I think this is a song that deserves listing the entire lyrics) 

Love is blindness
I don't want to see
Won't you wrap the night around me
Take my heart
Love is blindness

In a parked car in a crowded street
You see your love made complete
Thread is ripping
The knot is slipping
Love is blindness

Love is clockworks and cold steel
Fingers too numb to feel
Squeeze the handle
Blow out the candle
Love is blindness

Love is blindness
I don't want to see
Oh, my love
Blindness

A little death without mourning
No call and no warning
Baby, a dangerous idea that almost makes sense

Love is drowning in a deep well
All the secrets and no one to tell

Take the money, honey
Blindness

Love is blindness
I don't want to see
Oh, my love
Blindness​

Videos
U2 - Love Is Blindness (Official video released by U2)  1st released in 1993 as a B-side VCR release of the “Numb” single. The video was directed by Matt Mahurin. It is not known if it was planned for release. Mahurin also directed some of the footage used in the main “With or Without You” video, the alternate “With or Without You” video, and the “Song for Someone” video.  The video features footage of the band performing during the Zoo TV tour in 1992. It is mixed w a series of random images, including an empty park bench, waves crashing, a street busker playing accordion, & clouds in the sky.

Love Is Blindness (Edge’s Solo Performance) Acoustic performance by The Edge taken from From The Sky Down, a 2011 documentary film about the making of U2's AB directed by Davis Guggenheim.   (if you only watch 1....WATCH THIS ONE).   

Love is blindness (ZooTV Tour, from Sydney.....Black & White) (wait....this one in concert showcases Edge's guitar playing at the end)

'Baby' Love Is Blindness  Track 12 off U2's 'Kindergarten' album from the ABaby Super Deluxe edition, featuring an early demo version of Love is Blindness

been played 156 times in concert.......154 times on the 92/93 Zoo TV Tour.  Since DEC 1993, it has only been played twice (1x on 2001 Elevation Tour, 1x on 2006 Vertigo Tour)

One of those tracks should finish at number 1. :D  

Zero idea how all of those listed tracks are higher than all of Joshua Tree
Only one of those 5 tracks, 4 in a minute, is higher than all of The Joshua Tree. It is also not the number one overall song

Yes, i read where some fans were trying to debate the 11 studio albums vs 14 overall count. 
I think I cracked the code doing some research. HTDAAB is the 14th album if you include (Boy, October, War,  The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop, All the you Cant leave Behind plus Under a Blood Red Sky, The Passengers and Wide Awake in America)

#34 - Stay (Faraway So Close) (1993)

Highest Rank - 16

Lowest Rank - 103

Where to Find it - Zooropa LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -38/218 - This song began its life as something Bono and Edge were working on for Frank Sinatra, and you can envision that in the lyrics of the first verse. The second verse feels like Berlin, and the third verse links to Zoo TV — “With satellite television you can go anywhere.” During the Zooropa sessions, Wim Wenders came to the band, needing a song for a new movie about angels who want to become mortal and live on Earth. “Just the bang and the clatter as an angel runs to ground,” and Larry Mullen hits the edge of the snare drum. Boom. It sounds disjointed, but it works together, and is perfect for the movie. It almost doesn’t fit on the album.

Comment - This track is totally out of place on Zooropa. But its sooooo ####### good. The only really really really good song on Zooropa. Brilliantly understated. My 16 ranking is me being conservative. It is clearly a top 10 favourite of mine. If I rank them again it moves within the top 10. Bono is perfect vocally on this. I really cannot say enough good things about this song. So beautiful. Even the video is well done. Even if I ranked this number one it only moves up a few spots. The 103 ranking annoys me lol, but its backed up with a 73 as well so it has company. If I had to go to a desert island with only 10 U2 tracks, not my top 10 ranked songs, my 10 favorite ones, this is one of them. The only other one we’ve seen so far is Mothers of the Disappeared. The other 8 are in the top 23

Next up, we haven’t seen anything from War for awhile. This track probably would be better ranked 7 spots lower. 

Stay (Faraway, So Close!) is amazing.  Similar to Staring at the Sun, it is never the same live because it is never played with the electric guitars like we hear in the studio version, but that is okay. At least the studio version is immortalized. 

Highest Rank - 16

Lowest Rank - 103

Vulture.com ranking and comment -38/218 - This song began its life as something Bono and Edge were working on for Frank Sinatra, and you can envision that in the lyrics of the first verse. The second verse feels like Berlin, and the third verse links to Zoo TV — “With satellite television you can go anywhere.” During the Zooropa sessions, Wim Wenders came to the band, needing a song for a new movie about angels who want to become mortal and live on Earth. “Just the bang and the clatter as an angel runs to ground,” and Larry Mullen hits the edge of the snare drum. Boom. It sounds disjointed, but it works together, and is perfect for the movie. It almost doesn’t fit on the album.

Comment - This track is totally out of place on Zooropa. But its sooooo ####### good. The only really really really good song on Zooropa. Brilliantly understated. My 16 ranking is me being conservative. It is clearly a top 10 favourite of mine. If I rank them again it moves within the top 10. Bono is perfect vocally on this. I really cannot say enough good things about this song. So beautiful. Even the video is well done. Even if I ranked this number one it only moves up a few spots. The 103 ranking annoys me lol, but its backed up with a 73 as well so it has company. If I had to go to a desert island with only 10 U2 tracks, not my top 10 ranked songs, my 10 favorite ones, this is one of them. The only other one we’ve seen so far is Mothers of the Disappeared. The other 8 are in the top 23

Next up, we haven’t seen anything from War for awhile. This track probably would be better ranked 7 spots lower. 
Really good song.   I always forget how much I like it until listening to it again (which happens infrequently because I still listen to full albums often and Zooropa sucks ###).   This was at 42 for me, but I’m reshuffling rankings as we go and it will end up in the low 30s.

JML is spot on - Bono’s vocals are perfect.

Highest Rank - 16

Lowest Rank - 103

If they aren’t going to rock, then this is how I want them to sound. It sounds very “European.”

Users who are viewing this thread