What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unethical to throw games? (1 Viewer)

Guess only your hypothetical situations are realistic....
Sorry, I thought you had been playing fantasy football for a while now. Okay, here's what happens. A team might be way down in the early games; looks insurmountable. But when the afternoon games have been played, that owner has caught up and is only a little bit behind or has taken a lead. If you play long enough, it will happen to you.Once it does, you realize that team won't bench players if they're down after the early games. As people who have pleyed before, they know a comeback is very realistic. It's what makes the game so great.It's also what separates that unrealistic example from what the OP said. That's why I didn't buy the "people will bench players if they're behind early" argument. If you play long enough, you know that lead can evaporate quickly.So it's not that only my hypothetical situations are realistic; it's that, in this thread, I'm using realistic ones. Does that make sense?
Not sure if you're serious here but understand that patronizing me, doesn't make your argument any better..Everyone knows what the average score is of a said player... It is very possible to be down by so much after the 1pm games to know you won't come back... Especially if most of your players played at 10pm.. or if all of your studs have played and did nothing this week...
Sorry, I thought you were being serious. If you really think that owners will bench their starters because they're down a lot after the early games...I can only assume you haven't played enough to see the comebacks that are so common in this game. I mean, it happens all the time. If you're a vet (which I assumed originally) then you're well aware that the OP's scenario is realistic, and people benching players because of a deficit after the early games is unrealistic. I never said only my scenarios are realistic; that was you. Not sure why you said it if you already knew owners won't pull their starters due to a deficit after the early games.
It is possible to have all but 2-3 of your players play in the early games... How is that different then the OP's situation?
First, big difference between two players and three players. Second, we're talking about 65-pt deficit. Is it possible to have that same scenario? Sure. BUt you're talking about a situation where you had most of your players playing early AND you're down by 65 AND you only have two guys left. Those parameters are not common. The idea that allowing it will lead to lots of teams doing it is...well, unrealistic. It just doesn't happen often enough.

It would only be "unethical" to throw games if you actually could have won but pulled guys so that you lose. Down 65 pts with just those 2, you've lost, I agree. So, changing your lineup does not effect the outcome of your matchup. Is it shady to manipulate your lineup for waiver priority? Not at all. That waiver system is dumb, exploit the hell out of it and force your league to FAAB.
Yea, set a president that you'll push the envelope if it means gaining an advantage over another team .... every chance you get... You shouldn't ever have any trouble finding people to join leagues you commish...Should be a really fun league... :rolleyes:
How is this trying to get an advantage by pushing the envelope every chance you get? The outcome of the game has already been decided. The winners still won; the losers still lost.
Manipulating the outcome of waiver priority..And you can keep saying it as many times as you like.. Winners still won.. losers... or any of the other arguments that you've used that have already been rebutted... Simple fact is, that it's a D-bag way to play FF.. and nobody wants to play FF with a commissioner that'll play that way, or in a league that has a vague set of rules where the commissioner has set that president where if it's not specifically spelled out, you're free to do it.. You'd have no choice at that point as a league member but to scower the rules for loopholes and vague content that could be exploited..Just play the game the way it was intended and everyone can have fun..BTW, typically a league that keeps lineups open until each players game time typically is doing so in case of injuries and last minute substitutions... Not so that people can tank if they're losing...

This isn't real life. This isn't wall street where something might be legal, but its still unethical and your gain means screwing someone's life up. This is a game like chess or risk or monopoly. You play within the rules and do everything you can to win your league. If your league rules are set up in such a way to encourage not scoring the most points each week then play within your rules. If you don't like that then try and change the rules.

Here are my league's rules:

No collusion or money under the table

Next year's top draft pick choice goes to the first team out of the playoffs. (encourages everyone to try the entire season)

Top playoff seed chooses who he plays in the first round of the playoffs (no reason to tank games to influence who you play)

If you trade a player away and then trade back for him you pay a fee. (this discourages temporary or weekly trades)

High Score wins money each week and low score loses money each week

If you start someone on a bye or don't start a position and have someone else eligible on your roster you pay a fee (only really enforced if this screws someone over)

Waiver priority starts off based on draft order. Once you place a claim you go to the back of the list.

This keeps our league competitive through week 16. There has never been an "ethical" argument.

I'll preemptively respond to the self-righteous comment of "I don't need rules to tell me what's unethical" by saying that ethics don't come into play when you play within the rules of the game.

This isn't real life. This isn't wall street where something might be legal, but its still unethical and your gain means screwing someone's life up. This is a game like chess or risk or monopoly. You play within the rules and do everything you can to win your league. If your league rules are set up in such a way to encourage not scoring the most points each week then play within your rules. If you don't like that then try and change the rules.

Next year's top draft pick choice goes to the first team out of the playoffs. (encourages everyone to try the entire season)

Top playoff seed chooses who he plays in the first round of the playoffs (no reason to tank games to influence who you play)

If you trade a player away and then trade back for him you pay a fee. (this discourages temporary or weekly trades)

If you start someone on a bye or don't start a position and have someone else eligible on your roster you pay a fee (only really enforced if this screws someone over)

Waiver priority starts off based on draft order. Once you place a claim you go to the back of the list.

This keeps our league competitive through week 16. There has never been an "ethical" argument.

I'll preemptively respond to the self-righteous comment of "I don't need rules to tell me what's unethical" by saying that ethics don't come into play when you play within the rules of the game.
Ok, so gaming the system to cheat another owner out of the top waiver priority slot is ok, check. Because that's what we are talking about here. I agree, make a rule about it so there is no question. If you agree that there should be a rule preventing then it seems me you think it is wrong. And the league rules don't ENCOURAGE this behavior, the rules just didn't contimplate this dooshy behavior, much like most leagues didn't start with anti tanking rules until some doosh in the league took advantage of said absence of the rule. Doesn't make the owner any less of a doosh for doing it.

It would only be "unethical" to throw games if you actually could have won but pulled guys so that you lose. Down 65 pts with just those 2, you've lost, I agree. So, changing your lineup does not effect the outcome of your matchup. Is it shady to manipulate your lineup for waiver priority? Not at all. That waiver system is dumb, exploit the hell out of it and force your league to FAAB.
Yea, set a president that you'll push the envelope if it means gaining an advantage over another team .... every chance you get... You shouldn't ever have any trouble finding people to join leagues you commish...Should be a really fun league... :yes:
How is this trying to get an advantage by pushing the envelope every chance you get? The outcome of the game has already been decided. The winners still won; the losers still lost.
Manipulating the outcome of waiver priority..And you can keep saying it as many times as you like.. Winners still won.. losers... or any of the other arguments that you've used that have already been rebutted... Simple fact is, that it's a D-bag way to play FF.. and nobody wants to play FF with a commissioner that'll play that way, or in a league that has a vague set of rules where the commissioner has set that president where if it's not specifically spelled out, you're free to do it.. You'd have no choice at that point as a league member but to scower the rules for loopholes and vague content that could be exploited..Just play the game the way it was intended and everyone can have fun..BTW, typically a league that keeps lineups open until each players game time typically is doing so in case of injuries and last minute substitutions... Not so that people can tank if they're losing...
There you go again. Now you're telling me the purpose of keeping lineups open when we both know the purpose of a bench is NOT to horde one position and freeze out your opponent. But who am I to tell you how to use your bench? And, by the same token... I think you know.Now, I understand that all kinds of folks play fantasy football. Some people think you have to announce your intention to utilize a rule if you think it's not a common interpretation. Some people think the NFL should forbid teams from calling timeout right before a field-goal kick. Some people think you should intentionally hurt your team in order to maintain your integrity. If you don't hurt your own team, you're a d-bag...even though it doesn't affect the outcome of any game. Cheating is wrong. Breaking the rules is wrong. Manipulating the outcome of a game is wrong. Trying to bounce back from a loss and help your team by not forfeiting waiver priority in addition to a game doesn't seem wrong, or finding a loophole, or anything else but strategy. Hopefully that doesn't make me a d-bag, and there are plenty of other reasons why I can earn that title. But none of them are related to me being a bad owner.

I think it's douchey to expect an owner to behave in a way that hurts himself.

If an owner knows he's out of the playoffs and is planning to quit the league and refuses to start a line up. That's being douchey. If an owner is throwing every game in order to get the top pick next year that's just smart.

Ok, so gaming the system to cheat another owner out of the top waiver priority slot is ok, check. Because that's what we are talking about here. I agree, make a rule about it so there is no question. If you agree that there should be a rule preventing then it seems me you think it is wrong. And the league rules don't ENCOURAGE this behavior, the rules just didn't contimplate this dooshy behavior, much like most leagues didn't start with anti tanking rules until some doosh in the league took advantage of said absence of the rule. Doesn't make the owner any less of a doosh for doing it.
I'm having a hard time seeing how this is a d-bag move. Is it really an owner's obligation to not only lose, but lose AND hurt their team? They're not throwing a game to keep a team out of the playoffs. They're not churning all the defenses to freeze out their opponent. They're going to lose either way. They just don't want to compound the loss. I'm not an "anything goes" owner. I just don't see how the other owner has a birthright to the top waiver spot because you have to lose AND forfeit that spot by starting people you know will cost you the spot. It seems like really bad strategy, not integrity.

I think it's douchey to expect an owner to behave in a way that hurts himself.If an owner knows he's out of the playoffs and is planning to quit the league and refuses to start a line up. That's being douchey. If an owner is throwing every game in order to get the top pick next year that's just smart.
Yikes... :no:

pipman33 said:
Im 0-2 and im losing by like 65+ points so there is no chance I win tonight. I have Greg Jennigs and Jermicheal Finley to go. The only other team that is winless has around 35 more points than me. So if Jennigs and Finley get more than 35 points I will choose 2nd in the Waiver claims. I am a Ray Rice owner and need McGahee know he I score more than 35 he will take McGahee and im hurting for RB. So is it unethical to throw a game so you get the better Waiver claim position. This is a decent size money league. what would u do
I see no problem. The Carolina Panthers have been throwing games all year.
You nork, you don't even live in the US, go watch some lawn darts, real men are talking about sports here.. ;)
First off I'm not really sure what a NORK is...and secondly since when did Florida no longer become part of the United States?Thirdly I'm not really sure talking about whether or not it's unethical to throw a fantasy football game is technically talking about sports :no:

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is a d-bag move. Is it really an owner's obligation to not only lose, but lose AND hurt their team? They're not throwing a game to keep a team out of the playoffs. They're not churning all the defenses to freeze out their opponent. They're going to lose either way. They just don't want to compound the loss. I'm not an "anything goes" owner. I just don't see how the other owner has a birthright to the top waiver spot because you have to lose AND forfeit that spot by starting people you know will cost you the spot. It seems like really bad strategy, not integrity.
The other owner has the right to the spot if he played what he thought was his best lineup, but still scored the least points.. Has nothing to do with Birth right, and it's exactly that type of exaggeration in your posts that's making this discussion rather ridiculous...

If everyone knows that's within the rules before it happens, then so be it... The commissioner conveniently finding loopholes in a set of rules he constructed and not telling anyone about them before he uses them would have me finding a new league to play in, and I'd be very surprised if most of the other owners in the league didn't as well...

pipman33 said:
Im 0-2 and im losing by like 65+ points so there is no chance I win tonight. I have Greg Jennigs and Jermicheal Finley to go. The only other team that is winless has around 35 more points than me. So if Jennigs and Finley get more than 35 points I will choose 2nd in the Waiver claims. I am a Ray Rice owner and need McGahee know he I score more than 35 he will take McGahee and im hurting for RB. So is it unethical to throw a game so you get the better Waiver claim position. This is a decent size money league. what would u do
I see no problem. The Carolina Panthers have been throwing games all year.
You nork, you don't even live in the US, go watch some lawn darts, real men are talking about sports here.. :goodposting:
First off I'm not really sure what a NORK is...and secondly since when did Florida no longer become part of the United States?Thirdly I'm not really sure talking about whether or not it's unethical to throw a fantasy football game is technically talking about sports :)
LOL, sorry, I miss read your location... as Ontario... lol.. Don't ask me how... I'm from western NY, and Nork is a term of endearment that US border citizens in that area have for the folks across the border...

But everyone does know that's within the rules... I mean why on earth should an owner not be able to start/not start whoever he wants unless its explicitly forbidden? How is it a loophole to manage your team to the best of your ability?

Now if you have some rule where you must start a full team, that's a completely different story.

Some people think you have to announce your intention to utilize a rule if you think it's not a common interpretation.
It wouldn't be utilizing a rule, it would be utilizing the lack of the rule.. And typically if there is question about how you intend to use the rule or lack off based on an uncommon interpretation, the right thing would be to ask...
Some people think you should intentionally hurt your team in order to maintain your integrity. If you don't hurt your own team, you're a d-bag...even though it doesn't affect the outcome of any game.
Another blatant exaggeration.. Obviously there can be several ways of breaking the rules that would help your team, following the rules at that point shouldn't be considered intentionally hurting your team. And if you are as much a veteran as you implied earlier, you know this would count as tanking, and you would know that a play like this by the commissioner is not good for the league...
Cheating is wrong. Breaking the rules is wrong. Manipulating the outcome of a game is wrong.
See, now you're getting it.. The fact that anything is dependent on manipulating the outcome of the game whether it be by points totals or wins, or draft order, playoffs, or waiver priority, would suggest you follow the implied rules, the way the game was intended to play...
Trying to bounce back from a loss and help your team by not forfeiting waiver priority in addition to a game doesn't seem wrong, or finding a loophole, or anything else but strategy. Hopefully that doesn't make me a d-bag, and there are plenty of other reasons why I can earn that title. But none of them are related to me being a bad owner.
Well, you do as you see fit in leagues you play in, you pay the consequences.. As I've said earlier, you wouldn't play that way in a league I commish, and I wouldn't stay in a league that allowed that, especially if the commish was taking advantage of loopholes he found in his own rules...

But everyone does know that's within the rules... I mean why on earth should an owner not be able to start/not start whoever he wants unless its explicitly forbidden? How is it a loophole to manage your team to the best of your ability?Now if you have some rule where you must start a full team, that's a completely different story.
The guy said he was thinking of throwing the game to manipulate the points total and rob the next guy in line of waiver priority.... And asked if that sounded unethical.. Include the fact that he constructed this set of rules and he is the commish, also include the fact that most who know this game, know that throwing a game is a no-no...

But everyone does know that's within the rules... I mean why on earth should an owner not be able to start/not start whoever he wants unless its explicitly forbidden? How is it a loophole to manage your team to the best of your ability?Now if you have some rule where you must start a full team, that's a completely different story.
The guy said he was thinking of throwing the game to manipulate the points total and rob the next guy in line of waiver priority.... And asked if that sounded unethical.. Include the fact that he constructed this set of rules and he is the commish, also include the fact that most who know this game, know that throwing a game is a no-no...
I didn't see that he constructed the rules and is the commish. I'd assumed this ruleset was just something that was forced upon him and that the league should all know about this "exploit" he is contemplating. If this is the first time it's come up, you're the commish, and you made these rules that reward tanking, then the best course is to have a league discussion about changing the rules, and not tank this game.

"throwing the game" - He already lost"manipulate the points" - I manipulate the points each week when I change my lineup. Am I required to start the top ranked guys each week? Do I use ESPN? Footballguys? Rotoworld? No, I start whoever I want to help me win the league."rob the next guy" - How is he robbing anyone? The week isn't over. "constructed this set of rules and he is the commish" - everyone knows the rules of the league. He "lucked" into this situation. He didn't intentionally create confusing rules so he could find some loophole. I think it would be "unethical" if someone else was in this situation and the commish told him how to run his team.I 100% believe its OK to throw a game if its in your team's best interest. If you throw a game to intentionally play a significantly weaker opponent in the playoffs. that is absolutely acceptable. I mean look at major league sports. Teams are presented with this situation every now and then and occasionally they "rest star players". Now like I said I play in league's where we created rules to eliminate these scenarios

But everyone does know that's within the rules... I mean why on earth should an owner not be able to start/not start whoever he wants unless its explicitly forbidden? How is it a loophole to manage your team to the best of your ability?

Now if you have some rule where you must start a full team, that's a completely different story.
I didn't see that he constructed the rules and is the commish. I'd assumed this ruleset was just something that was forced upon him and that the league should all know about this "exploit" he is contemplating. If this is the first time it's come up, you're the commish, and you made these rules that reward tanking, then the best course is to have a league discussion about changing the rules, and not tank this game.
OP is the commish of the league in question... And if had come up before and rest of the league was amenable to the interprtation, he wouldn't be here asking us or even contemplating.. He'd have done it already..

"throwing the game" - He already lost"manipulate the points" - I manipulate the points each week when I change my lineup. Am I required to start the top ranked guys each week? Do I use ESPN? Footballguys? Rotoworld? No, I start whoever I want to help me win the league."rob the next guy" - How is he robbing anyone? The week isn't over. "constructed this set of rules and he is the commish" - everyone knows the rules of the league. He "lucked" into this situation. He didn't intentionally create confusing rules so he could find some loophole. I think it would be "unethical" if someone else was in this situation and the commish told him how to run his team.I 100% believe its OK to throw a game if its in your team's best interest. If you throw a game to intentionally play a significantly weaker opponent in the playoffs. that is absolutely acceptable. I mean look at major league sports. Teams are presented with this situation every now and then and occasionally they "rest star players". Now like I said I play in league's where we created rules to eliminate these scenarios
Yea, I know.. You're ok with throwing games to get better picks next year..He's the one that said he was trying to lower his points output, he called it throwing the game himself...

Yea, I know.. You're ok with throwing games to get better picks next year..He's the one that said he was trying to lower his points output, he called it throwing the game himself...
If you are eliminated from the playoffs and the worst record gets the top pick are you saying you feel obligated to try to win the rest of the season? How far does that go? Just starting the best line up each week? Do you have to make saavy waiver wire pick ups? What about if its a keeper league, are you required to make trades to help you win that season instead of helping you win in the future? Instead of declaring all these "unwritten" rules that everyone disagrees on, why not create rock solid rules that encourage the desired behavior?

People. Some rules go without saying. They should be said anyways, but if they aren't you are still ETHICALLY obligated to act as if they were. Not churning, not tanking, these are the things that go without saying. You people who are saying that it is not unethical are being pretty ridiculous, IMO. Would I complain if someone did it? No. I dont think I have a right per se to have other people act ethically. But the question was whether or not it was unethical to tank the game -- yes, it is.

maybe you should just not type for a little bit, guy. You're not coming off very well here, and that's being generous. This thread has devolved from whether shaving points in FF is ethical to arguing that outright tanking is acceptable. :lmao:

People. Some rules go without saying. They should be said anyways, but if they aren't you are still ETHICALLY obligated to act as if they were. Not churning, not tanking, these are the things that go without saying. You people who are saying that it is not unethical are being pretty ridiculous, IMO. Would I complain if someone did it? No. I dont think I have a right per se to have other people act ethically. But the question was whether or not it was unethical to tank the game -- yes, it is.
Even if the outcome is decided? Specifically, is it unethical to lose by more instead of losing by less when those are your only options? Assuming it's a loss either way, is it more ethical to intentionally hurt your team? At that point, scoring more points hurts his team. He can't win; he can only hurt himself. Tanking (to me) means intentionally losing when you know you could have won. The guy is losing either way. Is it unethical to accept his loss in a way that helps him down the road? Or is he supposed to be on auto-pilot, playing as if the score is 0-0 and he is oblivious to what is happening and the ramifications of his decisions?

See, the goal of a fantasy (or NFL) team is NOT to score as many points as possible. It's to win each and every week. If it's a blowout, NFL teams bench their starters. Sure, they might score more and make the loss look better...but they have the rest of the year to think about and they don't want to risk injury. In this case, keeping those guys in might make the game closer, but it won't affect the outcome, either. He has the rest of the season to think about, and while he can't "injure" his starters...he can hurt his waiver priority.

He's not affecting the outcome of a game. He's not trying to tank a game. He's not trying to take a dive for a buddy. He's actually trying to be more competitive. Is it unethical to "lose by more" when the league awards a loss either way?

Even if the outcome is decided? Specifically, is it unethical to lose by more instead of losing by less when those are your only options? Assuming it's a loss either way, is it more ethical to intentionally hurt your team? At that point, scoring more points hurts his team. He can't win; he can only hurt himself. Tanking (to me) means intentionally losing when you know you could have won. The guy is losing either way. Is it unethical to accept his loss in a way that helps him down the road? Or is he supposed to be on auto-pilot, playing as if the score is 0-0 and he is oblivious to what is happening and the ramifications of his decisions?

See, the goal of a fantasy (or NFL) team is NOT to score as many points as possible. It's to win each and every week. If it's a blowout, NFL teams bench their starters. Sure, they might score more and make the loss look better...but they have the rest of the year to think about and they don't want to risk injury. In this case, keeping those guys in might make the game closer, but it won't affect the outcome, either. He has the rest of the season to think about, and while he can't "injure" his starters...he can hurt his waiver priority.

He's not affecting the outcome of a game. He's not trying to tank a game. He's not trying to take a dive for a buddy. He's actually trying to be more competitive. Is it unethical to "lose by more" when the league awards a loss either way?
Have you attempted to make the same point yet again?

It's unethical to intentionally lose games to get better draft picks the same way its unethical to intentionally score less points to get better waiver priority. In both cases you're trying to gain an advantage over other team owners to add better players to your team...

Whether you win or lose, or get the pick you wanted, or better someone in waiver priority, does not matter... We're talking about ethics which is about you and your intentions, not about conditions and outcome.

Same argument.... again, same more than adequate rebuttal..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious what the OP actually decided to do and what the outcome was.

Kinda tired of the dribble being tossed around in here. I posted a pretty concise and clear synopsis of what I perceived to be the issue at hand and only one person responded to it. Meanwhile, a lot of unnecessary bickering has ensued since that post.

Real life example

Chicago Bears are at the GB 1 with a little over a minute left and the game tied 17-17. GB should "ethically" try to stop Chicago from scoring. Of course all that will mean is Chicago will kick a FG with 3 seconds left and win 20-17.

GB should have let Chicago score to go up 24-17 which means they would get the ball back with a little over a minute left and a chance to tie the game and go in overtime.

A lesson for folks in this thread. Its dangerous to overapply ethics to games. You play to win within the rules. Period.

Real life exampleChicago Bears are at the GB 1 with a little over a minute left and the game tied 17-17. GB should "ethically" try to stop Chicago from scoring. Of course all that will mean is Chicago will kick a FG with 3 seconds left and win 20-17.GB should have let Chicago score to go up 24-17 which means they would get the ball back with a little over a minute left and a chance to tie the game and go in overtime.A lesson for folks in this thread. Its dangerous to overapply ethics to games. You play to win within the rules. Period.
The only lesson here is that you aren't very good at coming up with examples to support your argument.

Real life example

Chicago Bears are at the GB 1 with a little over a minute left and the game tied 17-17. GB should "ethically" try to stop Chicago from scoring. Of course all that will mean is Chicago will kick a FG with 3 seconds left and win 20-17.

GB should have let Chicago score to go up 24-17 which means they would get the ball back with a little over a minute left and a chance to tie the game and go in overtime.

A lesson for folks in this thread. Its dangerous to overapply ethics to games. You play to win within the rules. Period.
Overapply? I haven't seen much evidence you apply them at all. I think it was a pretty clear indication of where you are coming from when you referred to those who disagree with your views on ethics in games as "communists."

Real life example

Overapply? I haven't seen much evidence you apply them at all. I think it was a pretty clear indication of where you are coming from when you referred to those who disagree with your views on ethics in games as "communists."
Reading Comprehension downI play to win but I FOLLOW THE RULES. Aka I do not cheat aka I have ethics. But that is different from wanting to give my opponents a big group hug and intentionally do something that will hurt my chances of winning and rationalize the move as being ethical.

I'm curious what the OP actually decided to do and what the outcome was.Kinda tired of the dribble being tossed around in here. I posted a pretty concise and clear synopsis of what I perceived to be the issue at hand and only one person responded to it. Meanwhile, a lot of unnecessary bickering has ensued since that post.
:mellow: What did you do pipman?

Real life example

Reading Comprehension downI play to win but I FOLLOW THE RULES. Aka I do not cheat aka I have ethics. But that is different from wanting to give my opponents a big group hug and intentionally do something that will hurt my chances of winning and rationalize the move as being ethical.
My reading comprehension is fine. And I would disagree with you that having ethics is defined simply as not cheating. Finding a loophole in the rules that perhaps had occured to no one in the league is playing within the rules, but that does not automatically make that behavior ethical IMO.

Real life example

My reading comprehension is fine. And I would disagree with you that having ethics is defined simply as not cheating. Finding a loophole in the rules that perhaps had occured to no one in the league is playing within the rules, but that does not automatically make that behavior ethical IMO.
Can we just end this thread? So far we have established:1. Ethical behavior requires more than just following the letter of the rules

2. This principle, and its application to this situation, is clear to ethical people

3. The people causing the ruckus in this thread are not ethical

Carolina Hustler said:
Have you attempted to make the same point yet again?It's unethical to intentionally lose games to get better draft picks the same way its unethical to intentionally score less points to get better waiver priority. In both cases you're trying to gain an advantage over other team owners to add better players to your team...Whether you win or lose, or get the pick you wanted, or better someone in waiver priority, does not matter... We're talking about ethics which is about you and your intentions, not about conditions and outcome.Same argument.... again, same more than adequate rebuttal..
Actually, I was asking someone else who I think has a better grasp of the issue. I understand your position and you've expressed it as well as you're capable of expressing it. I respect the fact that you have your position, you wouldn't play in a league where anyone sees it differently and you'd kick out anyone who sees it differently. That's all really interesting...but doesn't address my point. So rather than ask you to expand further, I simply went to someone who might be able to do that.While you think saying it "does not matter" is a "more than adequate" rebuttal, it's still just your opinion. It's nice that you feel so strongly about it. But "scoring as many points as you can" is only strategy when you're in a total points league or you can win the game. If not, and the outcome is decided, the ethics of intentionally hurting your team with no upside whatsoever can be questioned without being unethical. I don't see anything noble or ethical in "losing by less" and costing yourself a better waiver position when the outcome is already decided because it conforms to someone's vision of how they should run their team-- even if they wouldn't play in your league or would kick you out of their league (as if anyone cares about that on a message board).So while I understand and respect your position, I'm moving on to someone who might be able to express themselves beyond offering opinion as refutation and judging their own rebuttals as more than adequate. Thanks, and good luck this week.

Real life example

Can we just end this thread? So far we have established:1. Ethical behavior requires more than just following the letter of the rules

2. This principle, and its application to this situation, is clear to ethical people

3. The people causing the ruckus in this thread are not ethical
Point one makes sense. Points two and three sound like they come from a high horse. It's not possible to be ethical and see a strategic move that doesn't affect the outcome of a game to be okay? All "ethical people" see this situation the same? I think league dynamics are interesting and I appreciate all the opinions in this thread, even if I disagree with them. As our hobby grows in popularity, we'll see more and more clashes in personality in leagues-- different financial, ethnic and societal backgrounds. I don't think it has much effect on how you draft or trade or use the waiver wire...but it does affect how owners interact with each other, play the game and enjoy it.

We see people with very different value systems playing in the same leagues. Surely we see people of questionable ethics playing-- and we also see people who imagine themselves as standard-bearers, whose way is the only one that is "correct" and their job is to encourage others to conform to it, in those very same leagues. You see it at work, you see it in some neighborhoods and now we see it in fantasy football leagues.

I think it's interesting even beyond the OP's dilemma, because these things come up all the time. The fact that people have such strong feelings about their opinion shows how much of themselves they bring to the game (and sports in general). To me, that's an interesting by-product of a fantasy game.

Real life exampleChicago Bears are at the GB 1 with a little over a minute left and the game tied 17-17. GB should "ethically" try to stop Chicago from scoring. Of course all that will mean is Chicago will kick a FG with 3 seconds left and win 20-17.GB should have let Chicago score to go up 24-17 which means they would get the ball back with a little over a minute left and a chance to tie the game and go in overtime.A lesson for folks in this thread. Its dangerous to overapply ethics to games. You play to win within the rules. Period.
1) There are no "tanking" rules in the NFL...2) We aren't playing real football.. Or we wouldn't be getting points for yards or receptions... We'd be getting our lazy buts some real excise...

1) There are no "tanking" rules in the NFL...2) We aren't playing real football.. Or we wouldn't be getting points for yards or receptions... We'd be getting our lazy buts some real excise...
Also, Finger breaking, eye gouging, head stomping (Hanesworth) and other things go on during real NFL games, all for the sake of gaining an advantage or "win at all cost" that doesn't make it ethical behavior...

Tanking is losing a game on purpose. The OP has lost. The Question is about losing a game by more points rather than less points.GB could lose by 7 (24-17); or by 3 (20-17); or possibly put the game in OT at 24-24.There is no tanking in either scenario. But if GB "let's" Chicago score they certainly aren't trying their hardest on every play (aka playing their best players in every game), but they are doing everything in their power to win the game. See the similarity.

Tanking is losing a game on purpose. The OP has lost. The Question is about losing a game by more points rather than less points.GB could lose by 7 (24-17); or by 3 (20-17); or possibly put the game in OT at 24-24.There is no tanking in either scenario. But if GB "let's" Chicago score they certainly aren't trying their hardest on every play (aka playing their best players in every game), but they are doing everything in their power to win the game. See the similarity.
Those are your definitions and opinions...And as I've said, we aren't playing real football...

Those are your definitions and opinions...And as I've said, we aren't playing real football...
Gotcha :lmao: Keep up the good work :bag: Good luck this week. May your team win and be ethical (your definition of course) :thumbup:

So you're an advocate for point shaving? If they're in control of the game and will win, no harm in giving up a FG to cover the spread...

I'm curious what the OP actually decided to do and what the outcome was.

Kinda tired of the dribble being tossed around in here. I posted a pretty concise and clear synopsis of what I perceived to be the issue at hand and only one person responded to it. Meanwhile, a lot of unnecessary bickering has ensued since that post.

[/quote

OP here. I think that no one is wrong here. I read most arguments and then decided to just play my guys becasue points are a tie breaker for playoff spots and I did not want to regret not playing my guys in Week 3 and losing out on the playoffs by 10 points. So anyways I scored under 35 so I still got first WW claim.

Im the commish in this league. Another reason I did not pull the players is although its not a rule I feel you must always fill your team. I do not want the end of the year coming and after I pulled players, people in my league start pulling players to help a friend get in the playoffs. Its kind of 2 differnt things since I already lost the game regardless but the argument could have come by some idiot that "its never over till its over" and they claim I could have overcame a 70 or whatever points and won.

I personally would have held the moral high ground and started my best team.Regardless of rules and what you do, I have my doubts that Jennings & Finley would get 35 points anyhow. So given that this is the situation, and noting that you are commish (as one of the later posts tells me) why put yourself in that position where people would question your Integrity.you are most likely picking first anyhow. Start your best team and let the chips fall where they may.

So you're an advocate for point shaving? If they're in control of the game and will win, no harm in giving up a FG to cover the spread...
Seriously?You know we are talking about the MNF game right?And you think this was point shaving?Your credibility just went to zero or maybe lower.

Real life example

1) There are no "tanking" rules in the NFL...

2) We aren't playing real football.. Or we wouldn't be getting points for yards or receptions... We'd be getting our lazy buts some real excise...
Tanking is losing a game on purpose. The OP has lost. The Question is about losing a game by more points rather than less points.GB could lose by 7 (24-17); or by 3 (20-17); or possibly put the game in OT at 24-24.

There is no tanking in either scenario. But if GB "let's" Chicago score they certainly aren't trying their hardest on every play (aka playing their best players in every game), but they are doing everything in their power to win the game. See the similarity.
Seriously?You know we are talking about the MNF game right?

And you think this was point shaving?

Your credibility just went to zero or maybe lower.
:lmao: I wasn't saying the MNF was point shaving. i should have been more clear and just bolded your statement that essentially accepts points shaving. Intent is the most important piece that you seem to avoid talking about.

I wasn't saying the MNF was point shaving. i should have been more clear and just bolded your statement that essentially accepts points shaving. Intent is the most important piece that you seem to avoid talking about.

thats why your credibility is shot. You don't read. You take things out of context and make wild outlandish statements. Read my first post in this string. We are talking about the Bear Packer on Monday. I believe it was the highest rated cable show that night. You must have gone to bed early though.

:bangheadagainstwall:

A guy in my work league has the #3 playoff spot sewn up. I am fighting for the #6 spot. I needed to win today (I did) and have this owner beat the team which is currently occupying the #6 spot. He played Martavis Bryant in his flex spot, and benched Julio, Maclin and Mason. He's played Julio and Maclin every other week. My team has been on fire. I started off 2-5. It's pretty obvious he did not want to face me in the 3/6 game next week.

The funny thing is he still might win .... by accident. His game is a 50/50 shot tomorrow night. I don't want to list the particulars for fear of jinxing it.

But I guess my question would be, can you see ANY valid reason to roll Bryant out there over those other 3? Maybe he was afraid Peterson would blanket Julio. Okay, I can buy that. But who would be afraid of Maclin against Dallas and Mason against the Raiders. If there is a fantasy God, I will advance and then pay him back.

The worst part is that he's a really good dude. The worserer part is that I probably would have done the same thing. :)

BTW, there are short benches in this league, so he couldn't totally tank. He kept it as subtle as possible.

M. Bryant over the other three does not make sense to me.
Yeah. Gotta admire the guy though. The goal is to win it all.
I rolled out Mason in a meaningless game and thought twice about it. (I'm way in with the one seed and was locked in unless I benched all of my guys, thanks. Commitment to Excellence and all.)

M. Bryant makes sense if you're thinking that NO is #30 against the pass for Football Outsiders's DVOA and that they're #22 against the #2 receivers in football.

In short, I can see the hunch if you're not talking about those three guys.

But, ooooooh, I wouldn't have benched those three guys for him.

I don't have a problem with this move so long as he fielded a legit lineup. Bryant's a starter.

Consider it a token of respect.

I got eliminated in my keeper league this season thanks to a guy fielding an illegal lineup of Witten on his bye week and Reggie Bush after being ruled inactive in Week 11.

I will GLADLY lose out on the playoffs thanks to a contending owner being savvy than due to an eliminated owner being lazy and disrespectful.

Will be campaigning to have that guy booted from the league in the off-season but benching Julio, Maclin and Mason for Bryant? That's just playing to win.

A guy in my work league has the #3 playoff spot sewn up. I am fighting for the #6 spot. I needed to win today (I did) and have this owner beat the team which is currently occupying the #6 spot. He played Martavis Bryant in his flex spot, and benched Julio, Maclin and Mason. He's played Julio and Maclin every other week. My team has been on fire. I started off 2-5. It's pretty obvious he did not want to face me in the 3/6 game next week.

The funny thing is he still might win .... by accident. His game is a 50/50 shot tomorrow night. I don't want to list the particulars for fear of jinxing it.

But I guess my question would be, can you see ANY valid reason to roll Bryant out there over those other 3? Maybe he was afraid Peterson would blanket Julio. Okay, I can buy that. But who would be afraid of Maclin against Dallas and Mason against the Raiders. If there is a fantasy God, I will advance and then pay him back.

The worst part is that he's a really good dude. The worserer part is that I probably would have done the same thing. :)

BTW, there are short benches in this league, so he couldn't totally tank. He kept it as subtle as possible.
The guy that tried to tank by starting Ryan Fitzpatrick over Manning sure got his this week.

In general though, it is best to just manage your own team and not worry about how other guys manage theirs. As long as there are no rules being broken it is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread