What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Universal Background Check For Guns - Send Free Postcard To Your Rep (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Saw this today from Tim Ferris and I think it makes sense:

TOMS founder Blake Mycoskie grew up hunting in Texas. He and I both own guns. He is pro Second Amendment, pro hunting, etc. At the same time, prompted by seemingly endless tragedies in the US, he wanted to try and curb needless gun-related danger and risks. How? By putting pressure on politicians to push forward with universal background checks, something ~90% of Americans — including conservatives — agree is a good idea. If you head to this page on TOMS and spend 10 seconds filling out a few fields, they will print and mail a postcard to Congress, demanding that they take action now. This campaign has received support from church pastors, country musicians, hip-hop artists (e.g., Snoop Dogg), and millions more from every walk of life. It’s not about banning guns (and I say this as a gun owner); it’s about reducing unnecessary risk and saving lives with low-hanging fruit.
Click here https://www.toms.com/takeaction and spend 10 seconds to fill out and TOMS will mail a postcard to your Representative. 

Done.

I unchecked the box that said...

I love what you're doing. Keep me informed of what's happening at TOMS

Guaranteed i still get spam email from them. 

Thank you. I've always been for this.  I have some questions, based on objections that have been raised by the opposition to this idea:

1. Obviously convicted felons should be prevented from purchasing a firearm. That part is easy.  But who else? Should mentally ill be prevented? And if so, how do we define that?

2. In order to have a national database that is immediate, it's going to cost a ton of money. (I've heard anywhere from hundreds of millions to billions, but I have no idea.) Who pays for this? Should we tax the purchase itself, or is this something every taxpayer should pay for?

3. Suppose I own a gun and want to give it as a gift to my daughter. Do I need to go through the process of having my daughter undergo a background check?

4. Is there anyway to accomplish this goal without a government registration of firearms?

Again, the above questions have been raised by opponents, but I think they're worthy of discussion.

timschochet said:
Thank you. I've always been for this.  I have some questions, based on objections that have been raised by the opposition to this idea:

1. Obviously convicted felons should be prevented from purchasing a firearm. That part is easy.  But who else? Should mentally ill be prevented? And if so, how do we define that?

2. In order to have a national database that is immediate, it's going to cost a ton of money. (I've heard anywhere from hundreds of millions to billions, but I have no idea.) Who pays for this? Should we tax the purchase itself, or is this something every taxpayer should pay for?

3. Suppose I own a gun and want to give it as a gift to my daughter. Do I need to go through the process of having my daughter undergo a background check?

4. Is there anyway to accomplish this goal without a government registration of firearms?

Again, the above questions have been raised by opponents, but I think they're worthy of discussion.
1.  Those who are a danger to themselves or others as determined by a licensed professional.  There should also be a process to challenge the ruling.

2.  If it's just a record of initial purchase, I can't see, at all, how this would cost billions.  It should be paid for via taxes on those wanting the guns...work it into purchase of guns and ammo etc.

3.  Yes, she needs to undergo the check.  I'd say you should also.

4.  This question doesn't make any sense.

Joe Bryant said:
Checking back in. Did you get spam?

I did not. 

Anyone else?
Nope! So far so good. 

I uncheck that box every time i purchase something online. Without fail i get spam mail. I will be thrilled and will send my own letters to my rep and senators in addition to the one toms sent if i dont get any.

Maurile Tremblay said:
Suppose I own a car and want to give it to my daughter to drive. Do I need to go through the process of having my daughter obtain a driver's license?
Such a bad analogy.   Better might be ATV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Suppose I own a car and want to give it to my daughter to drive. Do I need to go through the process of having my daughter obtain a driver's license?
Such a bad analogy.   Better might be ATV.
Not sure how this is better....every state I've ever lived in required a license to operate an ATV.  In a couple of those states the driver's license was sufficient, in the others an additional license was necessary :oldunsure:  

Not sure how this is better....every state I've ever lived in required a license to operate an ATV.  In a couple of those states the driver's license was sufficient, in the others an additional license was necessary :oldunsure:  
Its because in rural areas gun and atv's are taught to be used responsibly at a young age, sure trucks are too on some farms but that's the gist.

Maurile Tremblay said:
At least in my state, you dont need a drivers license to own or register a car. You only need one to operate a car.

Its because in rural areas gun and atv's are taught to be used responsibly at a young age, sure trucks are too on some farms but that's the gist.
As long as it makes sense to you I guess :shrug:  

It's not coming out in the words you type that it does though.

1. Obviously convicted felons should be prevented from purchasing a firearm. That part is easy. 
Is it?  If you’re convicted of a felony, you should forever sacrifice your ability to purchase a firearm?  Does that include non-violent felonies?

Is it?  If you’re convicted of a felony, you should forever sacrifice your ability to purchase a firearm?  Does that include non-violent felonies?
Yeah that’s my view. A felony is a serious crime. I don’t want felons owning firearms. 

Like a Sunday morning. 
I don’t think someone who is busted at age 20 for possession of half a gram of cocaine or 4 ounces of marijuana (both felonies in Texas where I live) should be prevented for the next 60+ years of his or her life from purchasing a firearm for home protection. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My first ignored poster was tim, and that was a few years ago. I didn't add anyone until  2017.

Life is so much better without the wishy washy self interested equivicating that is tim trying to remain relevant in any discussion that doesn't directly involve him. 

I'm going to say no to this idea because the Govt doesn't get to dictate a constitutional right to US Citizens who've don't nothing wrong. We have background checks, we have laws stacked on top of each other that says don't kill people. Another law/rule on top all those isn't going to attack the core problem - the people doing the crimes

Non-violent....you should be able to live a regular life after you paid your debt to society.

Users who are viewing this thread