What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Universal Background Checks for Guns - Mail Your Representative A Free Postcard - & A Poll (1 Viewer)

Do You Agree We Should Have Universal Background Checks For Gun Purchases?

• Definitely Yes

Votes: 102 79.7%
  • Probably Yes

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Probably No

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Definitely No

Votes: 6 4.7%

• Total voters
I know this seems like a no brainer, and I voted for it in the poll. The problem is a very small percentage of shootings in this country come from someone getting around the background check or the gun show loophole as it's called. The guns are either obtained legally and thus passing the background check, or stolen from someone who obtained the gun legally. I'm fine with universal background checks, but it won't have any impact on gun violence. Consider this. I once read a stat that something like .002% of possible fraud committed on the background check form are investigated. Which means someone who is mentally unstable and has been institutionalized can simply lie about that on the form, and will in all likelihood pass the background check. 

This is not meant to be a pun, but this is not the magic bullet that will resolve the gun problem we have in this country. 
Doing nothing doesn't seem to be working, either

Stricter? How about just some sort of gun control period. In Michigan you just pay a few bucks for a class and you can have a concealed carry permit regardless of ability to shoot, hell you just got to be able to pay and nothing else.
Oklahoma is pushing a bill that allows conceal carry without a permit.

Until there is a background check for someone that steals someone else's gun, then I'll go along with that, but until then, I don't see what that will do. The majority of gun violence is committed by those who obtain firearms illegally. The person that bought the gun may have gone through the background check, but the person who stole it did not.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/five-killed-gunman-opens-fire-illinois-warehouse-002802245.html

Seems current background checks don't go far enough. Or are ignored.

How is this even a question?  Don't gun guyz want some kind of assurance that other gun gunz aren't psychos? 
I said this in the other thread. The law abiding gun owner and hunter needs to find a way to compromise on regulations in order to protect their ability to continue to own guns. What the other side doesn't seem to understand is that most of the regulations are not going to have an effect on mass shooters. The latest shooting shows that current regulations aren't being followed by those responsible for implementing are not doing their job. There was a five day waiting period that the latest shooter complied with. But this shooter purchased his gun in 2014. It could have been a five year waiting period and the results would have been the same. 

To answer your question, why would it matter whether you're a gun guy or a non gun guy, wouldn't you want to make sure psychos aren't getting access to guns? The issue seems to be the psychos. Maybe we should concentrate our efforts there. 

I said this in the other thread. The law abiding gun owner and hunter needs to find a way to compromise on regulations in order to protect their ability to continue to own guns. What the other side doesn't seem to understand is that most of the regulations are not going to have an effect on mass shooters. The latest shooting shows that current regulations aren't being followed by those responsible for implementing are not doing their job. There was a five day waiting period that the latest shooter complied with. But this shooter purchased his gun in 2014. It could have been a five year waiting period and the results would have been the same. 

To answer your question, why would it matter whether you're a gun guy or a non gun guy, wouldn't you want to make sure psychos aren't getting access to guns? The issue seems to be the psychos. Maybe we should concentrate our efforts there. 
Agreed.  So mental health background checks?  Sign me up.

Users who are viewing this thread