What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can Obama increase background checks for guns? (1 Viewer)

http://bearingarms.com/sound-fury-signifying-nothing-rundown-obamas-executive-orders/

https://www.atf.gov/file/100896/download

Thought this was an interesting take.

But here’s what just happened that Obama won’t brag about to the media; the ATFjust eliminated chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) sign off from the NFA process, making it easier to acquire silencers, machine guns, short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns, and items classified as “any other weapon.” CLEO sign-off has been a major impediment in many states where owning NFA weapons is perfectly legal, but anti-gun sheriffs and police chiefs have been able to block their citizens from obtaining NFA items by simply refusing to sign-off on their acquiring items that they were otherwise qualified to own.

This arbitrary roadblock has now been eliminated.

While there is still much to be figured out in the days to come, it appears that Obama has eliminated most of the need for NFA trusts for most people, and it should actually be easier to acquire machine guns and silencers for more people across the country.

Thanks, Barack. you screwed up and did something right.

Love these guys giving analysis. Everything is either "that won't affect me at all- how weak!" or "OMG HE'S OUT TO SEIZE ALL OUR GUNS!!!"
"These guys" are a gun-owners advocacy group. It's akin to union leadership analyzing proposed legislation in terms of how it will affect the union, or the AARP analyzing proposed legislation in terms of how it will affect seniors. In other words, exactly what they're supposed to be doing.
It would be akin to the AARP analyzing a proposal to increase the retirement age by one year and concluding "OMG THEY'RE OUT TO ENSLAVE THE ELDERLY!!!"
You appear to be referring to something else entirely. If I'm reading it correctly, most of the VCDL analysis posted above concluded it was much ado about nothing.
Yeah I was just talking about Tim's post sans context. Although there's some truth to it as applied to those guys. I mean, come on:

Get information from the Social Security Administration on mental health issues for the purpose of disqualifying some people from owning a gun. Net effect: this is DANGEROUS, as it can strip people of their right to own a gun WITHOUT DUE PROCESS. A very tiny minority of those with mental health issues are dangerous. Just because you let someone else balance your checkbook doesn’t mean you should not be able to own a gun, but that’s what Obama is doing.
They don't even know how the data is going to be used during the background check, yet they conclude that there will be a denial of due process. And the bit about the checkbook is a little hysterical and over the top, no?
I don't really know. I haven't seen the details of the proposal yet.

I wasn't commenting on the analysis itself, just timschochet's apparent complaint that a gun advocacy group was analyzing the proposal in terms of how it would affect gun owners. Seems like exactly what they're supposed to do, no?

Man people will buying guns up like there is no tomorrow. Gun manufacturers and ammo manufacturers should be lining up to kiss Obama's ###! I have neighbors storing up on ammo like armageddon is going to happen any day. Literally you cannot buy certain types of ammo in the Tulsa market because as soon as they hit the shelves someone buys every last one. Stupid calibers like 22 shells? Who the hell buys millions of 22 shells?

Obama is coming for our guns boys!!!! He will be coming door to door in the Tulsa area on February 14th between 7am - Noon. Please have your guns and ammo ready to turn over to the Federal officers. America thanks you.

I want something clarified. Let's say that some private gun owner like ICON is telling me about his gun collection. I send him a PM, telling him I want to buy one of his rifles. He gives me a price, and I send him a payment by PAYPAL. Can he then send me the rifle by mail? And is he obligated at some point to run a background check on me? And if so, how does he, as a private seller, run a background check?

Asking because I don't know what the legal process is right now.
For the sake of argument, if you both are residents of VA he can legally sell to you if he has no reason to believe you are not allowed to own a gun.This typically is done by asking to see a voter id card or concealed handgun permit. No background check is required in this case.Long guns may be shipped USPS.
OK, thanks. So it seems to me that this is the sort of loophole that many of us would like to see removed. Personally, I would prefer that ALL transfers of gun ownership have to go through a federal background check. I would also like to see full registration of all privately owned firearms in this country. I don't think either of these would infringe upon the 2nd Amendment.Whether or not the President can move us towards these proposals of his own accord without laws emanating from Congress is a separate issue.
I'd prefer not to have to go through the hassle of having a background check done on my kids when I give them a gun, or sell one to a relative in the same state. My Maryland relatives would have to have the gun sent to a licensed dealer in Maryland & pay the transfer fees (typically $20-50).
What if your kid has anger issues and has shown violent behavior in school and is constantly in trouble? Why shouldn't a person's kids be subjected to background checks? The objective here is to keep the guns out of the hands of people who are a danger to society, while not infringing on the freedoms of upstanding citizens who are responsible enough to own guns.
Can an underage kid legally buy a gun?
Let's say he just turned 18. He should need a background check. Even if he's buying a gun from daddy. Probably moreso.
What kind of background check pulls up juvenile school records?

Love these guys giving analysis. Everything is either "that won't affect me at all- how weak!" or "OMG HE'S OUT TO SEIZE ALL OUR GUNS!!!"
"These guys" are a gun-owners advocacy group. It's akin to union leadership analyzing proposed legislation in terms of how it will affect the union, or the AARP analyzing proposed legislation in terms of how it will affect seniors. In other words, exactly what they're supposed to be doing.
It would be akin to the AARP analyzing a proposal to increase the retirement age by one year and concluding "OMG THEY'RE OUT TO ENSLAVE THE ELDERLY!!!"
You appear to be referring to something else entirely. If I'm reading it correctly, most of the VCDL analysis posted above concluded it was much ado about nothing.
Yeah I was just talking about Tim's post sans context. Although there's some truth to it as applied to those guys. I mean, come on:

Get information from the Social Security Administration on mental health issues for the purpose of disqualifying some people from owning a gun. Net effect: this is DANGEROUS, as it can strip people of their right to own a gun WITHOUT DUE PROCESS. A very tiny minority of those with mental health issues are dangerous. Just because you let someone else balance your checkbook doesnt mean you should not be able to own a gun, but thats what Obama is doing.
They don't even know how the data is going to be used during the background check, yet they conclude that there will be a denial of due process. And the bit about the checkbook is a little hysterical and over the top, no?
Seems like an easy conclusion to draw. I'm not sure how there could be due process if the information and the methodology are unknown. Would there going to be an appeals process? Seems like there would have to be a court to deal with these.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all for show. I can't recall any of the mass shootings using guns sourced from a private sale ( those exploiting the gunshow "loophole").
The shooter in Chattanooga allegedly purchased his guns online so no background check.
Online sales from a dealer are subject to FFL transfer rules.
This was a site that connects private sellers with buyers not gun dealers is my understanding.
That would be a private sale. Those are perfectly legal depending on the type of gun and/or what state you live in. Buyer & seller must be residents of the same state.
Isn't that the point?

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
irishidiot said:
TPW said:
Bottomfeeder Sports said:
So the president is trying to determine if he can, on his own better enforce the law already on the books? Isn't that what you guys always demand?

:no:
He's reinterpreting statutory language to accomplish his political goals and once again using an executive end around because he's been completely ineffective in dealing with the body of government which is actually responsible for passing laws in this country, the United States Congress.

In other words, same #### different day.
yep.
agree
Telling the ATF that they need to better identify "dealers" that are already supposed to be required under existing law to perform background checks is somehow not enforcing the laws already on the books? It is some kind of "end around" over reach for power?

TobiasFunke said:
irishidiot said:
Back in 2008 I had lunch with two guys who were furious over Obama's election and said he was going to put laws in place that would stop the manufacturing of bullets. They were crazed over it, swearing that it was only a matter of time before Obama would cut off the ammunition supply. I thought they sounded pretty dumb and couldn't wait for lunch to end.

Bottom line - you gun nuts are a bunch of idiots. Whining all the ####### time about Obama this and Obama that and really, nothing has changed other than we've suffered 8 years of senseless and barbaric gun massacres at schools, colleges, movie theaters, office buildings and malls because not enough was done. I'm tired of it. I hope Obama does do something. This ain't right. My kids shouldn't go to school scared and I shouldn't be dropping them off worried that some lunatic will mow them down.
You might have lunch with those idiots again & listen next time. Obama tried to do it by having federal & State agencies buy enough ammo to short the individual market. It actually worked.

He figured, can't get the guns, get the ammo. Sorry dude, your lunch buddies were right. Now if you want more gun control & think the guns are the problem Obama is your guy. The fiasco in a Denver theater where 20 or so people died was.................screw it, you won't listen anyway.
I really try not to use this, but sometimes it just nails it:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The ammunition shortage- just like every recent weapon-buying frenzy- was caused by paranoid gun nuts reacting to Obama's election and to the perceived threat of stricter regulations after Sandy Hook. Obama can't order federal agencies to purchase massive amounts of ammunition-as you may have heard, Congress has the power of the purse. And he certainly can't order state agencies to do it- they're state agencies, for chrissakes.

Maybe think about getting your news from somewhere other than breitbart.com next time.
Your right, I'm wrong. I won't though be relying on MSNBC for reliable news. I will try to delve a little deeper.

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
irishidiot said:
TPW said:
Bottomfeeder Sports said:
So the president is trying to determine if he can, on his own better enforce the law already on the books? Isn't that what you guys always demand?

:no:
He's reinterpreting statutory language to accomplish his political goals and once again using an executive end around because he's been completely ineffective in dealing with the body of government which is actually responsible for passing laws in this country, the United States Congress.

In other words, same #### different day.
yep.
agree
Telling the ATF that they need to better identify "dealers" that are already supposed to be required under existing law to perform background checks is somehow not enforcing the laws already on the books? It is some kind of "end around" over reach for power?
:lmao:

Tennessee tells US govt to eat a #### : blocks new gun control at state level

They won't be the last :thumbup:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (May 4, 2015) On Thursday, Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam signed a bill to prohibit the state from implementing or enforcing federal gun laws, rules, regulations and orders that are contrary to the Tennessee state constitution. It passed 74-20 in the House, and 29-1 in the Senate.

Introduced by Sen. Richard Briggs, Senate Bill 1110 (SB1110) will ban Tennessee state or local public funds, personnel or property from being used for the implementation, regulation, or enforcement of any federal law, executive order, rule or regulation regulating the ownership, use, or possession of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories if such use would result in the violation of Tennessee statutory or common law or the Constitution of Tennessee.

LEGAL AND CONSTITUTIONAL

Refusing to participate with federal enforcement is not just an effective method, it has also been sanctioned by the Supreme Court in a number of major cases, dating from 1842. The 1997 case, Printz v. US serves as the cornerstone. In it, Justice Scalia held:

The Federal Government may neither issue directives requiring the States to address particular problems, nor command the States officers, or those of their political subdivisions, to administer or enforce a federal regulatory program.
...IN PRACTICE

The way this could play out is that if the federal government were to ban or further restrict any firearms allowed under Tennessee law or the state Constitution, and then a local cop pulled someone over for a traffic violation and saw that firearm in the car, the cop could simply give the guy a ticket for the traffic violation and send him on his way.

Recently-proposed federal measures, such as an M855 ammo ban would fall under the new law and state resources would be prohibited from being used to help the federal government enforce such a ban. And any attempt to re-enact the federal assault weapons ban, which expired in 2004, should meet the same level of resistance in Tennessee.

-----

More states passing similar laws will make it difficult to enforce some facets of gun control on a federal level.

SHIZNITTTT said:
Man people will buying guns up like there is no tomorrow. Gun manufacturers and ammo manufacturers should be lining up to kiss Obama's ###! I have neighbors storing up on ammo like armageddon is going to happen any day. Literally you cannot buy certain types of ammo in the Tulsa market because as soon as they hit the shelves someone buys every last one. Stupid calibers like 22 shells? Who the hell buys millions of 22 shells?

Obama is coming for our guns boys!!!! He will be coming door to door in the Tulsa area on February 14th between 7am - Noon. Please have your guns and ammo ready to turn over to the Federal officers. America thanks you.
:goodposting: how ironic that all the past several years if gun debating has led to a ton more weapons sold.

SHIZNITTTT said:

:goodposting: how ironic that all the past several years if gun debating has led to a ton more weapons sold.
Paranoid gun nuts are some of the biggest suckers out there. They're being convinced by gun marketers to buy thousands of dollars of equipment that they'll never use for anything more than shooting at range targets. And all so that they can burnish their gun culture credentials. They're mindless slaves to gun fashion, but they believe they're independent, freedom-loving renegades. It IS ironic.

Paranoid gun nuts are some of the biggest suckers out there. They're being convinced by gun marketers to buy thousands of dollars of equipment that they'll never use for anything more than shooting at range targets. And all so that they can burnish their gun culture credentials. They're mindless slaves to gun fashion, but they believe they're independent, freedom-loving renegades. It IS ironic.
:lol:

I do love how the biggest advocates of "not painting groups with a broad brush" are the first to do so when they get bent out of shape over someone with an opinion that dissents with theirs. Always an entertaining way to start the day.

Thanks, GB. Needed that after a late night. :thumbup:

SHIZNITTTT said:

When I heard that General Mills would no longer be producing Berry Burst Cheerios, I bought ten boxes. Gun owners are paranoid. So this makes sense.

:lol:

I do love how the biggest advocates of "not painting groups with a broad brush" are the first to do so when they get bent out of shape over someone with an opinion that dissents with theirs. Always an entertaining way to start the day.

Thanks, GB. Needed that after a late night. :thumbup:
"Paranoid gun nuts" is a subgroup of gun owners.

SHIZNITTTT said:

Guns hold their value pretty well. It's not a bad hobby.

Bullets can be expensive though.

I somehow ended up engaging my liberal relatives on global warming over the holidays, boy are they stupid. "What about the garbage in the ocean", "What about the smog in China", "What about the melting ice caps" blah blah blah. They honestly did not know a single basic fact about the science of global warming. In fact, pure starting point facts that both sides would agree with were mocked.

But of course disagreeing with the state is grounds for being deemed mentally ill, with the USSR being a popular cited historical basis for this, so those dummies should be OK.

Random thought on a compromise I was discussing with a buddy today, re: universal background checks.

ANTI-GUN: Wants them to close the perceived loophole in private party sales to limit the flow of guns to those who shouldn't have them.
PRO-GUN: Hates the inconvenience and the cost. They oppose the potential for tracking/database compilation it offers. In addition they see the grey/black market rendering this as nothing more than a speed bump for bad guys.

WHAT IF: There was a "enhanced" concealed carry permit not unlike the TSA's "Clear" pre-screening program.

• Pass written and physical tests/training to earn CC permit like now...
• Take a one-time NICS background check and earn "Clear" status on a "shall-issue" basis
• Once "Clear" You are free to engage in any transactions by simply showing ID.
• ID must be renewed every 2 years to maintain "Clear" status (nominal re-issue charge)
• Clear ID status revoked if any violation/flag occurs (felony, mental health issue, etc) that would fail a NICS check.

Once this is in place, enable the universal background check requirement.

ANTI-GUN are happy because all gun transactions now must be validated to a NICS-validated individual
PRO-GUN folks are happy because incremental cost/inconvenience is reduced/eliminated and no risk of tracking/database collection is in place.

Random thought on a compromise I was discussing with a buddy today, re: universal background checks.

ANTI-GUN: Wants them to close the perceived loophole in private party sales to limit the flow of guns to those who shouldn't have them.

PRO-GUN: Hates the inconvenience and the cost. They oppose the potential for tracking/database compilation it offers. In addition they see the grey/black market rendering this as nothing more than a speed bump for bad guys.

WHAT IF: There was a "enhanced" concealed carry permit not unlike the TSA's "Clear" pre-screening program.

• Pass written and physical tests/training to earn CC permit like now...

• Take a one-time NICS background check and earn "Clear" status on a "shall-issue" basis

• Once "Clear" You are free to engage in any transactions by simply showing ID.

• ID must be renewed every 2 years to maintain "Clear" status (nominal re-issue charge)

• Clear ID status revoked if any violation/flag occurs (felony, mental health issue, etc) that would fail a NICS check.

Once this is in place, enable the universal background check requirement.

ANTI-GUN are happy because all gun transactions now must be validated to a NICS-validated individual

PRO-GUN folks are happy because incremental cost/inconvenience is reduced/eliminated and no risk of tracking/database collection is in place.
I've offered this as a suggestion before. Part that's a problem is validity of the ID.

What about if you are validating the ID code online with each transaction, where does the concern lie? Makes it a bit more tedious, and a bit more trusting of the government to not log the number of times the ID is "run ", but it would solidify the system.

I figure if identification is deemed secure enough to drive, by alcohol, and fly on an airplane, it should be secure enough to purchase a firearm No?

It seems that the biggest problem with guns is not that people with felonies buy them (criminals have no need to buy guns legally) but with the mentally ill.

This article breaks down the most recent mass shootings and psychiatric issues are a common theme. Most of them time their issues were untreated and wouldn't show up in a psychiatric background check anyway.

It seems that the biggest problem with guns is not that people with felonies buy them (criminals have no need to buy guns legally) but with the mentally ill.

This article breaks down the most recent mass shootings and psychiatric issues are a common theme. Most of them time their issues were untreated and wouldn't show up in a psychiatric background check anyway.
No doubt, anyone attempting to assemble a plan that doesn't include full reporting of psych issues to the NICS system isn't genuinely interested in fixing the problem

What about if you are validating the ID code online with each transaction, where does the concern lie? Makes it a bit more tedious, and a bit more trusting of the government to not log the number of times the ID is "run ", but it would solidify the system.

I figure if identification is deemed secure enough to drive, by alcohol, and fly on an airplane, it should be secure enough to purchase a firearm No?
Yeah....that could work. I was under the impression that "databases" were a bad thing when talking about guns. Is it just a boogeyman? Anecdotally, the biggest gun nut I know is fine with biometric protections on guns...shocked the #### out of me.

That said, none of this addresses the criminals who don't care about the rules. How many more people would be in jail today if we strictly enforced the laws already on the books?

SHIZNITTTT said:

I'd be curious to see what percentage of the gun sales since Sandy Hook are from first time buyers. My perception is that they are doing most of the "panicking".

SHIZNITTTT said:

I'd be curious to see what percentage of the gun sales since Sandy Hook are from first time buyers. My perception is that they are doing most of the "panicking".
:goodposting: I couldn't even count the number of friends (men and women) who have gotten carry permits and purchased guns in the last couple years. Actually it's kinda surprising number of the latter... I'd say 75% of the wives/girlfriends in our "circle" have carry permits and carry small pistols in purses/etc.

I've gotten lots of calls for pointers, met some folks out at the range and let them shoot my carry piece to get them comfortable... Etc.

Its not just "gun nuts" anymore. Look at the number of new concealed carry permits... And it's not just in the south:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/concealed-carry-permits-skyrocket-especially-for-women/

http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/record-number-conceal-carry-permits-issued-for-2016/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/04/gun-sales-concealed-permit-applications-surge-day-san-bernardino-shooting/

Users who are viewing this thread