What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Universal Background Checks for Guns - Mail Your Representative A Free Postcard - & A Poll (1 Viewer)

Do You Agree We Should Have Universal Background Checks For Gun Purchases?

• Definitely Yes

Votes: 102 79.7%
  • Probably Yes

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Probably No

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Definitely No

Votes: 6 4.7%

• Total voters
I'm against ANY new gun regs so yea, I am not in favor of "universal background checks" either.  Too many people with an agenda on this issue for me to let them start nibbling at my rights.  

I am fine with the idea, but don't really see it as a step (not even a baby step) towards anything.  Sure. it makes sense...put it in place...it will make some people feel better, but as TheFanatic pointed out, it will have no impact on the issue of gun violence.
Don't let the perfect interfere with the good.

I've yet (sorry icon) to see a common sense argument against background checks for guns.

A quick googling appears to reveal 3/4 transactions are performed with checks.  Just closing a loophole doesn't seem so threatening to anyone's rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I’m in favor of checks for all transactions outside immediate family. No need to say sorry... I’ve not attempted to make an argument against it because I think it’s a fair concession. :)  

No way it'll have "no impact". It won't solve the problem, but it IS a start. For all the himming and hawwing that goes on about what will or won't work and what should or should not get done it seems like the problem would have been as a minimum closer to being taken care of than not. And if we don't start somewhere we definitely will never fix the problem. 
With all due respect, if people put the same amount of time and energy into reaching out to the folks in their lives they sense are struggling in some way (namely, with some form of mental health issues) that they do advocating for gun control and/or opposing guns, we likely are not having this discussion.

If the people who know the people (who perpetrate these crimes) best can't/won't (for whatever reasons) do more to prevent it from happening, seems to be extremely wishful thinking to believe federal background checks are going to make much difference. My $0.02...

What happens 2 to 3 years down the line when the checks have little impact? 
Actually, my hope is that would be the point more folks come to the realization we need to devote far more resources to addressing the actual root cause of this problem.

*Right now, entirely too many people are disproportionately focused on guns rather than the reason(s) people are choosing to use guns to kill other people. That needs to change. If/when we get to that point, some real progress can likely be made.

*the above is me up on my soapbox (not directed at you specifically)

1. Medical professional diagnosis. If you've been diagnosed as being mentally impaired at that determined level then you're disqualified.

2. The NCIS already exists. Law enforcement already has access to it and can vet firearms applicants using it

3. If she's a minor. No If she's an adult yes. If she's going to own the gun, she needs to be able to pass a background check

4. You don't need to register every gun. Just handguns and their owners
1-2. I agree. But who sets the criteria and is it universal? Also, how do we ensure that information makes its way to the appropriate database to be queried? A federal background check is only going to be as good as the more local sources (many of which (as I understand it) are sorely lacking) supplying the data.

4. Why limit to only handguns? While they may be the more commonly used weapon in shootings, the worst atrocities have been committed with rifles, no?

FOPA 

“No such rule or regulation prescribed [by the Attorney General] after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established.”

There is no “interpretation” involved, a  gun registry is expressly prohibited by federal law largely because it is intrusive to the privacy of citizens exercising their constitutionally protected right. 
Laws can be changed.  A gun registry was part of the original Gun Control Act of 1968 but was blocked by the NRA.   The Firearms Owner Protection Act was written primarily by the NRA-ILA and overturned multiple other federal laws and decisions of the Supreme Court.   

The NRA represents a very small minority of gun owners, and an even smaller minority of Americans.    There is no valid reason for their undue influence on politics not to give way to reasonable regulations.

-fish- said:
Laws can be changed.  A gun registry was part of the original Gun Control Act of 1968 but was blocked by the NRA.   The Firearms Owner Protection Act was written primarily by the NRA-ILA and overturned multiple other federal laws and decisions of the Supreme Court.   

The NRA represents a very small minority of gun owners, and an even smaller minority of Americans.    There is no valid reason for their undue influence on politics not to give way to reasonable regulations.
Of course laws can be changed.. doesn’t mean they should be, or will. The obsession with creating more laws without actually enforcing the ones we have, or showing any logical path to how it will actually fix the problem is reaching absurd levels these days.

There are a LOT of gun owners ... if you actually want compromise/progress.. address ALL sides of the issue instead of using tragedy to further an agenda. We are rapidly reaching a significant “push back” point not unlike the one that got Trump elected. 

Can you elaborate? What exactly does a "push back" point mean or look like?
If you keep pushing reasonable people, they stop being reasonable. Overzealous pressure from the left mobilized centrists and right leaning folks to elect Trump when they likely wouldn’t have. 

Currently I’m amenable to some concessions in the interest of playing nice, even if I think they’re not going to make a difference. If pressure from the anti-gun crowd becomes overzealous, I’ll likely become less amenable. I’m not alone.

There are quite a few folks I know who have already reached the “not another inch” stance. Some have even started contributing to causes like the NRA and/or become more active in protecting gun rights when they otherwise wouldn’t have. 

If you keep pushing reasonable people, they stop being reasonable. Overzealous pressure from the left mobilized centrists and right leaning folks to elect Trump when they likely wouldn’t have. 

Currently I’m amenable to some concessions in the interest of playing nice, even if I think they’re not going to make a difference. If pressure from the anti-gun crowd becomes overzealous, I’ll likely become less amenable. I’m not alone.

There are quite a few folks I know who have already reached the “not another inch” stance. Some have even started contributing to causes like the NRA and/or become more active in protecting gun rights when they otherwise wouldn’t have. 
So just "less amenable" to concessions? 

Or actively pushing back and doing something? 

So just "less amenable" to concessions? 

Or actively pushing back and doing something? 
I think I outlined that some people have begun contributing financially and as activists towards the cause.  Whether or not I personally would go down that road would depend on how hard the opposition was pushing I guess. I think everyone has their own tipping points on issues they’re passionate about. 

I'm sure those in favor of stricter gun control feel exactly the same way about the other side.
Stricter? How about just some sort of gun control period. In Michigan you just pay a few bucks for a class and you can have a concealed carry permit regardless of ability to shoot, hell you just got to be able to pay and nothing else.

So people are letting social media piss them off? Other than social media nothing has changed with guns, no gun laws for damn sure. 

The below has nothing to do with above.

how a mentally ill person can walk in and buy as many guns as they want is disgusting. ####, soldiers coming back from war should have to go through a psych test before being allowed to buy. Actually military personnel in general should have to and I’m speaking as someone that’s been in 20 years and it’s cause I know how we are, you get numb to your work rules vs civilian rules. 

Stricter? How about just some sort of gun control period. In Michigan you just pay a few bucks for a class and you can have a concealed carry permit regardless of ability to shoot, hell you just got to be able to pay and nothing else.
Did that bill pass? I know a year or so ago they required a training class, shooting range training, and passing some sort of test. 

So people are letting social media piss them off? Other than social media nothing has changed with guns, no gun laws for damn sure. 
This is absolutely not true. 

There are over a dozen new gun laws in CA alone, along with tighter laws in quite a few other states. 

How does a national registry help with gun control?
Where did I say it did? I was responding to his comment about people being reasonable. I think it is fairly obvious to even the most casual of observer that neither side can claim the moral high ground.

Maybe people that are pro background checks don't consider those opposing it to be reasonable people.
I guess I’ll post this for the 5th or 6th time... I’m not opposed to background checks. Hell, I’ve advocated going a step further and fixing the glaring holes in the databases that these checks scan... which frankly amazes me that more folks aren’t pushing for. 

Frankly when someone is pushing for more checks without addressing the flawed database, I pretty much write them off as poorly-informed on the issue. 

Where did I say it did? I was responding to his comment about people being reasonable. I think it is fairly obvious to even the most casual of observer that neither side can claim the moral high ground.
Sorry didn't mean to quote you there just re asking a question from above.   

I'm one of them.  I had never given a cent to the NRA or any one similar to them prior to last spring.  Not that I didn't agree with the NRA, I was simply never pushed into taking any action.  Mine was a combination of things, but the "straw that broke the camels back" was a local protest against guns.  I will continue to give to them for the foreseeable future.  I feel like I have to do my part to ensure the 2nd amendment rights given to us in the constitution remain in place for my kids and grandchildren.

I guess I’ll post this for the 5th or 6th time... I’m not opposed to background checks. Hell, I’ve advocated going a step further and fixing the glaring holes in the databases that these checks scan... which frankly amazes me that more folks aren’t pushing for. 

Frankly when someone is pushing for more checks without addressing the flawed database, I pretty much write them off as poorly-informed on the issue. 
Frankly when someone constantly has caveats to proposals and uses phrases like “If you keep pushing reasonable people, they stop being reasonable.” to describe only pro-gun folks I pretty much write them off as not being reasonable and is just paying lip service to wanting regulation. 

I'm one of them.  I had never given a cent to the NRA or any one similar to them prior to last spring.  Not that I didn't agree with the NRA, I was simply never pushed into taking any action.  Mine was a combination of things, but the "straw that broke the camels back" was a local protest against guns.  I will continue to give to them for the foreseeable future.  I feel like I have to do my part to ensure the 2nd amendment rights given to us in the constitution remain in place for my kids and grandchildren.
Nothing personal but you posted "I'm against ANY new gun regs so yea, I am not in favor of "universal background checks" either.  Too many people with an agenda on this issue for me to let them start nibbling at my rights" above. So I doubt you fit to many folk's definition of "reasonable" on the topic to begin with.

Frankly when someone constantly has caveats to proposals and uses phrases like “If you keep pushing reasonable people, they stop being reasonable.” to describe only pro-gun folks I pretty much write them off as not being reasonable and is just paying lip service to wanting regulation. 
You’re entitled to your opinion, but you’d be wrong. ;)  

I filled out the form to request universal background checks, and have written all my local gov folks about fixing NICS. Also I am the biggest (only?) person on this board actively trying to educate folks on the glaring hole in our background check database and advocating improving it.

Thankfully some headway is being made: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fix_NICS_Act_of_2017

For those who want to do more for gun control then talk about it on the internet, please push support of this bill as well. 

Nothing personal but you posted "I'm against ANY new gun regs so yea, I am not in favor of "universal background checks" either.  Too many people with an agenda on this issue for me to let them start nibbling at my rights" above. So I doubt you fit to many folk's definition of "reasonable" on the topic to begin with.
And I'm ok with that.  

I know that's the comment sentiment and it makes sense to me.

What do you think about the quote I posted above though from Wikipedia.
I don't see how that is possible. Most gun crimes are committed by people who obtain the guns illegally. So what if I pass a universal background check and someone steals my gun and uses it in a crime? 

It just seems to me to be one of those. "This is how things should be," vs. "How things really are." 

But maybe, just maybe, when the universal background check thing goes through, and it makes little to no impact, we might start looking at the root of gun violence rather than be lazy and blame it on things like background checks or the guns themselves. I don't see anyone blaming cars for all the roadway deaths every year. I don't hear calls for better drivers ed or continuing drivers education or harder driving tests. 

Quite simply because it creates a ready and prioritizable list of citizens to be disarmed. That list, in the wrong hands, and at the wrong time could be devastating.  And frankly, I don't trust our government with it.
This is a fair point. 

TheFanatic said:
I don't see how that is possible. Most gun crimes are committed by people who obtain the guns illegally. So what if I pass a universal background check and someone steals my gun and uses it in a crime? 

It just seems to me to be one of those. "This is how things should be," vs. "How things really are." 

But maybe, just maybe, when the universal background check thing goes through, and it makes little to no impact, we might start looking at the root of gun violence rather than be lazy and blame it on things like background checks or the guns themselves. I don't see anyone blaming cars for all the roadway deaths every year. I don't hear calls for better drivers ed or continuing drivers education or harder driving tests. 
I guess I maybe put too much faith in "experts".

And maybe the wikipiedia article isn't accurate. But when I see 'In a 2017 survey, a panel of 32 scholars of criminology, public health, and law rated universal background checks as the most effective policy to prevent gun deaths, ranking it #1 of 29 possible gun-related policies.[1] Universal background checks enjoy high levels of public support" I tend to listen. 

[icon] said:

The NRA and their most vocal (zealous) followers have been "Not another inch!" for decades. They have won at every turn and are only becoming more entrenched in their attitude.

Blaming the left is disingenuous when even the most reasonable proposals like not overturning the ban on suppressors, or banning bump stocks is met with nothing but cries of "THE GIVERNMENT IS TRYING TO TAKE YOUR GUNS!!!" The reasonable ones may try to respond with "Well it won't fix anything so let's not bother." or "Let's just enforce the laws we have." While ignoring the fact that the agencies charged with that responsibility have been castrated and lack the ability to enforce said laws.

They haven't reached "Not another inch" they got there, bought the property and built a fortified compound around it. Any additional supporters are a trickle compared with the zealots already living in Maison Not Another Inch.

Fir clarification I am not referring to the average NRA member who are mostly reasonable. I am referring to those in leadership and their most vocal followers who don't give two ####s about the average NRA member or anyone else.

The NRA and their most vocal (zealous) followers have been "Not another inch!" for decades. They have won at every turn and are only becoming more entrenched in their attitude.
Correct. They are a small subset of gun owners. Do you want to push more into their ranks, and Provide them with much, much more financial resources? Because that’s what is going to happen / is happening. Denial has no bearing on the fact this is reality. 

They haven't reached "Not another inch" they got there, bought the property and built a fortified compound around it. Any additional supporters are a trickle compared with the zealots already living in Maison Not Another Inch.
There are about 4 million NRA members. 

Thete are probably 20x that many firearms owners who aren’t members/contributors, yet. 

You do the math. 

Correct. They are a small subset of gun owners. Do you want to push more into their ranks, and Provide them with much, much more financial resources? Because that’s what is going to happen / is happening. Denial has no bearing on the fact this is reality. 

There are about 4 million NRA members. 

Thete are probably 20x that many firearms owners who aren’t members/contributors, yet. 

You do the math. 
the reality is that the opposite is happening.   gun control groups outspent gun rights groups for the first time since it's been tracked.   the NRA's funding is in the tank.   the vast majority of Americans, including gun owners, support reasonable gun control regulations, including universal background checks.  this year saw a significant number of states and municipalities pass new regulations.  

the reality is that the opposite is happening.   gun control groups outspent gun rights groups for the first time since it's been tracked.   the NRA's funding is in the tank.   the vast majority of Americans, including gun owners, support reasonable gun control regulations, including universal background checks.  this year saw a significant number of states and municipalities pass new regulations.  
Last year, you are correct. Please go back and read what I posted.... it is what I’m PREDICTING will happen if anti-gun groups push too hard. 

Last year, you are correct. Please go back and read what I posted.... it is what I’m PREDICTING will happen if anti-gun groups push too hard. 
yes, I hear this quite a bit.  that somehow if the vast majority of people get what they want, a small minority will somehow turn the tide backward.   the NRA has been saying this for years.   oddly enough, they also say that these law-abiding gun owners simply won't comply with the laws.  

the reality is that this we're going the opposite direction--toward more regulation.   universal background checks and assault weapon bans probably won't really do that much to solve gun violence, but people are sick of doing nothing because the NRA says it won't work.   our current controlling Supreme Court decisions have made meaningful gun control nearly impossible, but the status quo isn't satisfying the majority of the country.  so we're going to get expanded background checks, safe storage laws, more prohibitions on ownership by people convicted of domestic violence, stalking, etc.   some states will ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines.   some will tax the living hell out of ammunition.  the net result is to marginalize and stigmatize gun ownership as we slowly join the rest of western civilization.

I’ve said what I had to say in here. This thread is following the same path as all over threads before it. Time to move it to the political forum, @Joe Bryant

I guess I maybe put too much faith in "experts".

And maybe the wikipiedia article isn't accurate. But when I see 'In a 2017 survey, a panel of 32 scholars of criminology, public health, and law rated universal background checks as the most effective policy to prevent gun deaths, ranking it #1 of 29 possible gun-related policies.[1] Universal background checks enjoy high levels of public support" I tend to listen. 
Until there is a background check for someone that steals someone else's gun, then I'll go along with that, but until then, I don't see what that will do. The majority of gun violence is committed by those who obtain firearms illegally. The person that bought the gun may have gone through the background check, but the person who stole it did not. 

Also, I read once that something like less than 2% of people who lie on the background check form are even investigated. So  maybe we could start enforcing the laws we have on the books and investigate people committing fraud to pass the background check. 

And I'm wondering about how this came to be #1. Could it be that this being a very divisive subject, gun control, that maybe out of that list of 29, this is the only one they all could agree on? I'd like to know more about the methodology on how they came up with the list of options and how they were presented. If I were to administer a survey and the other 28 options include things like, melt down all guns, free handguns for everyone over 12 years of age, 1 year of military training for all gun owners, A tax of $1,000 per fire arm, public hangings of all gun owners, all adults must carry a fire arm on their hip when out in public, I could make just about anything remotely reasonable as the #1 option. 

Until there is a background check for someone that steals someone else's gun, then I'll go along with that, but until then, I don't see what that will do. The majority of gun violence is committed by those who obtain firearms illegally. The person that bought the gun may have gone through the background check, but the person who stole it did not. 

Also, I read once that something like less than 2% of people who lie on the background check form are even investigated. So  maybe we could start enforcing the laws we have on the books and investigate people committing fraud to pass the background check. 

And I'm wondering about how this came to be #1. Could it be that this being a very divisive subject, gun control, that maybe out of that list of 29, this is the only one they all could agree on? I'd like to know more about the methodology on how they came up with the list of options and how they were presented. If I were to administer a survey and the other 28 options include things like, melt down all guns, free handguns for everyone over 12 years of age, 1 year of military training for all gun owners, A tax of $1,000 per fire arm, public hangings of all gun owners, all adults must carry a fire arm on their hip when out in public, I could make just about anything remotely reasonable as the #1 option. 
More info on it. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/10/upshot/How-to-Prevent-Gun-Deaths-The-Views-of-Experts-and-the-Public.html

do you support laws like Washington State just adopted that create criminal liability for failing to keep your guns secure?

Users who are viewing this thread