What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can Obama increase background checks for guns? (1 Viewer)

What does it mean to be in the "business" of selling guns? Does that require a sale between two people to have a background check?

I agree that the gun show loophole was a bit ridiculous, but I'm not sure how effective this is going to be.

Besides, when people are 3d printing their own guns and Yeezys in the future, this law isn't going to stop crap.

I don't know about all the ins and outs of politics but in my personal life I just don't put up with the gun nuts anymore. And there's a lot of them in Kansas. They are not used to getting challenged here in Kansas whatsoever. I dissasociate myself with them personally. I make things uncomfortable as possible in social situations where they spout off their BS. I mock open carry people in public. At least its shut them up at Thanksgiving. They know if they start in with the crap its on like donkey kong.

My point is this. If you are so hard boiled about gun violence and death in this country that you can't tolerate even a nudge in the direction of safety then #### you. And if that makes me the object of your contempt then so be it. I've put up with so much BS from these wingers in the name of politeness in my life its stupid. To sit in silence in front of the jerkoffs is basically tacit approval. People need to get up in their faces. ### hats.

PS I own several shotguns and rifles and hunt. I am a gun owner and I support regulation of guns. And most gun owners think like I do.

I applaud Obama for doing this.
Doing what?
Making 250 more FBI jobs!
And selling more guns than ever.

I see that Obama is now taking cues from John Bohener. :violin: The estrogen is strong with this one.
I know, right? Like he actually cares about dead first graders. What a looooosseeerrr.
My children used to cry too when they didn't get their way.

So, I'm going to guess by the responses (or lack there of) that we STILL don't know what he's proposing much less "doing"?

So, I'm going to guess by the responses (or lack there of) that we STILL don't know what he's proposing much less "doing"?
I think there is a pretty good idea of what he's going to do, just not how he's going to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I applaud Obama for doing this.
Doing what?
Making 250 more FBI jobs!
And selling more guns than ever.

I see that Obama is now taking cues from John Bohener. :violin: The estrogen is strong with this one.
I know, right? Like he actually cares about dead first graders. What a looooosseeerrr.
Thats politcal nonsense. Will his executive order make it illegal and stop people from getting their mom's gun? If not, the Sandy Hook tragedy had zero to do with this. Having those family members there and talking about it was pathetic.

from what I've read it's similar to what Tobias was hypothesizing, plus some money for mental health, and some additional ATF agents, and more funds for the background check process.

Obamas plan: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/01/04/fact-sheet-new-executive-actions-reduce-gun-violence-and-make-our

FYI:

This is a response to Obama's speech from the Virginia Citizens Defense League (they make the NRA look soft if you didnt know about them)

ANALYSIS

Much of the Executive Orders (EOs) really don’t change anything, but try to put a menacing or intimidating spin on them. Others simply double-down on existing enforcement (yawn), some are bad, and one VCDL likes. Here is what they really do (or don’t do).

1. A dealer who sells guns exclusively over the internet or at gun shows is still a dealer and needs to have a license and do background checks. This is a “yawn” as it is simply restating current law and how it has always been enforced. Net effect: zero.

2. There is no specific threshold on the number of guns sold, as to what makes you a dealer. That has always been true. The BATFE takes into consideration several factors in determining if you are just a person selling a few items from your private collection or if you are trying to earn a living, or part of a living, by buying and selling guns. Here Obama tries to scare gun owners by saying that someone had been found to be in the business of selling firearms “when as few as two firearms were sold or when only one or two transactions took place, WHEN OTHER FACTORS ALSO WERE PRESENT” (emphasis mine). Here he’s obviously found some obscure cases that must have had some unusual “other factors” that made it clear the person was actually selling guns for a living, even with a small number of sales. This EO is implying that BATFE might be looking harder at people who sell guns regularly to make sure they are not really “in the business.” Other than trying to scare people by also pointing out the penalties for being in the business without a license, I don’t see this as changing the status quo on private sales at all. Net effect: zero, but meant to intimidate people into not doing any private sales.

3. Requiring everyone in an NFA trust to have a background check. This will have ZERO effect on crime, as criminals are NOT setting up trusts to buy NFA items! No one has been killed with a lawfully owned machine gun since the 1970s, when a police officer murdered his wife with one. This is simply a waste of time - doing something just to do something. Net effect: all those who are part of an NFA trust must have a background check.

4. Push for states to include more mental health data. Virginia has been doing this for a long time, predating the Virginia Tech massacre. Net effect: no effect on gun owners generally and no effect for Virginia gun owners at all.

5. More NICS employees will be hired to make NICS checks quicker and available 24/7, which is fine with VCDL as it will make it faster to buy a gun through a dealer. Net effect: positive because of quicker gun purchases.

6. Centralize tracing bullets used in crime. Net effect: zero for gun owners.

7. Step up investigating those who are illegally selling guns over the internet. Net effect: zero for gun owners.

8. Clarify that dealers are to notify the police about the loss or theft of guns. Net effect: zero for gun owners and zero for gun dealers, who already do this anyhow.

9. Direct U.S. Attorney’s Office to renew domestic violence outreach efforts. This requires coordination with state and local police on domestic violence crime. BUT it also requires coordination with “community groups focused on domestic violence.” I do not trust giving such "community groups” special treatment by the government. Net effect: no real change for gun owners.

10. Get information from the Social Security Administration on mental health issues for the purpose of disqualifying some people from owning a gun. Net effect: this is DANGEROUS, as it can strip people of their right to own a gun WITHOUT DUE PROCESS. A very tiny minority of those with mental health issues are dangerous. Just because you let someone else balance your checkbook doesn’t mean you should not be able to own a gun, but that’s what Obama is doing. Obama is casting a huge net for the purpose of catching what actually boils down to a handful of people.

11. Change HIPAA laws to allow states to share “certain” information from a person’s health records. Net effect: this is DANGEROUS, as it can strip people of the right to own a gun WITHOUT DUE PROCESS. No cookie cutter, bureaucratically controlled, examination of a person’s medical records should be used to strip someone of any of their rights without DUE PROCESS!

12. Encourage the development of “smart guns.” If there is a market for “smart guns,” they will be developed with or without government help. Hint: if police, government agencies like the Secret Service, or the military don’t want smart guns, then they probably are not going to be successful. Net effect: none for gun owners, just government wasting more tax dollars on another boondoggle.

Sounds like all the paranoia that this is step one in the government taking all the guns may have been a bit premature. They sounds like positive changes.

Also, on the commentary provided above, the angle seems to be what effect it has on gun owners. No one is trying to put any negative effects on lawful, non-dangerous gun owners. So saying 'zero effect for gun owners' means they accomplished their goal. For instance, one change is to step up efforts to identify those selling guns illegally on the internet. Zero effect on gun owners, but hopefully, a big effect on the guy doing illegal transfers. I would hope that even gun owners would applaud this. Same with the effort to make states include more mental health data. These are all changes that were long overdue.

Love these guys giving analysis. Everything is either "that won't affect me at all- how weak!" or "OMG HE'S OUT TO SEIZE ALL OUR GUNS!!!"

As a general rule, you will need a license if you repetitively buy andsell firearms with the principal motive of making a profit. In contrast,if you only make occasional sales of firearms from your personalcollection, you do not need to be licensed.

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Ffnn.box.com%2Fs%2Fe5ibgdi1r50f7ofqg6u9tx3myoowd30b

^ used to determine if you are a gun dealer or not & must get a license/perform background checks
Yup. And of course the agency can tweak this as long as it stays within the framework of the statutory direction. As I said this is likely going to come in the form of an ATF amendment/clarification of regulations (standard administrative practice), not an executive order. Not that the FFA will let that stop them from complaining about the tyranny of non-existent executive orders, of course.
I have no problem with proper agency action, rulemaking after notice and an opportunity to be heard, to clarify and define discretionary power which was legislatively authorized to that agency and within the understood purview of that authorization.

I am fairly clear that a decision to interpret that there was sufficient ambiguity in the definition of a gun dealer such that background check provisions be extended to all sales will not be accepted by the Courts. Current legislation clearly contemplates that there will be exceptions to the requirement for performing background checks and this would render that meaning a nullity. Still, that tension more or less always exists and we can and should go through the process if the Agency, or the Agency's boss, the President, determines that we should. That, however, is different than the President saying he is going to issue an Executive Order making the thing criminal on his own authority. The President, in this case, has introduced the ambiguity as to the process and bears responsibility therefore. If the President wants to issue an Executive Order to the ATF&E to undertake rulemaking on this subject, and that rulemaking is then subject to proper challenge, I have no problem. To many this will seem a distinction without a difference. Not so to me. I find the checks and balances of our Constitutional process very important.

Frankly I think the President is grandstanding a bit on the issue right now, knows it, but also knows that most people will not understand the process. He is making a political point. He wants to be seen as leading on this issue. He is willing to ignore what should even be his understanding of the proper distinctions here to be seen as leading. I understand his reasons. I believe he feels he must do something and must be seen as doing something. I even believe he thinks this might be incrementally effective. I don't ascribe to him nothing but negative motives. that said, for expediency he continues us down a road of less appreciation for our Constitution, and I find that a bad thing.
I agree, a rulemaking is different than an executive order, and I would be far more skeptical of the latter. Can you give me a link to the executive order that he has introduced, or the action he has taken to "introduce the ambiguity as to the process'?
It was his press secretary putting out that he was going to do so by executive order, or so I understood. I took that as the fact of his intent. If I am mistaken then the premise of the thread is mistaken. I was dealing with the premise of the thread.

Was that premise incorrect? I am happy to be apprised of the facts if they are out there. I am not going to look for them now, during my work day. I just pop in here sporadically while actually doing things for my employer. perhaps tonight.
I haven't seen that anywhere. Every reference I've seen to the new proposal has been just a vague reference to "executive action," which of course doesn't really mean anything.

If he does something on the licensing requirements by executive order instead of an ATF rulemaking or policy document, I'd probably agree with you on first glance that it's an overreach. But I've seen nothing to indicate that is what's planned.

I pointed out a couple hours ago that the premise of the thread was premature and possibly (probably?) mistaken. I guess everyone just has me on ignore :kicksrock: I was also in a pissy, angry mood at the time :bag:
Sorry I missed that. I definitely do not have you on ignore. I find you one of the more insightful folks on this board. I would not want to miss your observations from which I learn much.

I want something clarified. Let's say that some private gun owner like ICON is telling me about his gun collection. I send him a PM, telling him I want to buy one of his rifles. He gives me a price, and I send him a payment by PAYPAL. Can he then send me the rifle by mail? And is he obligated at some point to run a background check on me? And if so, how does he, as a private seller, run a background check?

Asking because I don't know what the legal process is right now.

I want something clarified. Let's say that some private gun owner like ICON is telling me about his gun collection. I send him a PM, telling him I want to buy one of his rifles. He gives me a price, and I send him a payment by PAYPAL. Can he then send me the rifle by mail? And is he obligated at some point to run a background check on me? And if so, how does he, as a private seller, run a background check?

For the sake of argument, if you both are residents of VA he can legally sell to you if he has no reason to believe you are not allowed to own a gun.This typically is done by asking to see a voter id card or concealed handgun permit. No background check is required in this case.

Long guns may be shipped USPS.

Love these guys giving analysis. Everything is either "that won't affect me at all- how weak!" or "OMG HE'S OUT TO SEIZE ALL OUR GUNS!!!"
I would hope that this is not in response to BowieMercs analysis as I did not see him state or imply "How Weak!" within that summary.

Perhaps you were referencing various talking heads in the media. There was ambiguity in your post, at least to my mind.

I would hope that this is not in response to BowieMercs analysis as I did not see him state or imply "How Weak!" within that summary.
It was. Though I don't think it was his analysis, I thought he was pasting something by the Virginia gun rights people. And "how weak" was implied in the tone of their response.

Not my analysis... its from the VCDL.

I expected that response from Tim :D
I missed that the first time around. Multi-tasking work and this discussion may not be something I should attempt.

It was. Though I don't think it was his analysis, I thought he was pasting something by the Virginia gun rights people. And "how weak" was implied in the tone of their response.
I did miss that the analysis was not his own. My apologies if I got things sidetracked.

For the sake of argument, if you both are residents of VA he can legally sell to you if he has no reason to believe you are not allowed to own a gun.This typically is done by asking to see a voter id card or concealed handgun permit. No background check is required in this case.

OK, thanks. So it seems to me that this is the sort of loophole that many of us would like to see removed. Personally, I would prefer that ALL transfers of gun ownership have to go through a federal background check. I would also like to see full registration of all privately owned firearms in this country. I don't think either of these would infringe upon the 2nd Amendment.

Whether or not the President can move us towards these proposals of his own accord without laws emanating from Congress is a separate issue.

One possible way to enforce background checks on private sales would be that, assuming we had full gun registration, if you sell your gun without having a background check, and it is found to later be used in a crime, then you the seller could be held liable for that crime.

One possible way to enforce background checks on private sales would be that, assuming we had full gun registration, if you sell your gun without having a background check, and it is found to later be used in a crime, then you the seller could be held liable for that crime.
[SIZE=medium]Probably the only way without some ridiculous amount of bureaucracy. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Probably the only way without some ridiculous amount of bureaucracy. [/SIZE]
Well, to be honest, the "full gun registration" itself would involve a large new bureaucracy. Let's not gild the lily about that.

But...I want it anyhow.

Only to get gun registration, we have to get past the paranoia of that minority of gun owners who believe that it's a plot by the government to seize all of their guns. I'm not sure this is possible.

OK, thanks. So it seems to me that this is the sort of loophole that many of us would like to see removed. Personally, I would prefer that ALL transfers of gun ownership have to go through a federal background check. I would also like to see full registration of all privately owned firearms in this country. I don't think either of these would infringe upon the 2nd Amendment.

Whether or not the President can move us towards these proposals of his own accord without laws emanating from Congress is a separate issue.
I'd prefer not to have to go through the hassle of having a background check done on my kids when I give them a gun, or sell one to a relative in the same state. My Maryland relatives would have to have the gun sent to a licensed dealer in Maryland & pay the transfer fees (typically $20-50).

Or have a gun owners registry/ID card. Achieves the same thing with less paperwork & no inventory tracking (so the people who fear an overbearing govt will sleep better). I'm already on a registry since I have a short barreled rifle.

:lol: @ gun registration still being a topic.

It wouldn't make a difference (please feel free to link to the killings you think it would help stop, and explain your logic).... It ain't gonna happen (registry is against the law)... and if it did, it would be unenforceable (look at CT's assault rifle registry demands that basically got ignored).

Spinning your wheels fellas. How about looking at options that address the real issue... and have real chance of success.

I'd prefer not to have to go through the hassle of having a background check done on my kids when I give them a gun, or sell one to a relative in the same state. My Maryland relatives would have to have the gun sent to a licensed dealer in Maryland & pay the transfer fees (typically $20-50).
What if your kid has anger issues and has shown violent behavior in school and is constantly in trouble? Why shouldn't a person's kids be subjected to background checks? The objective here is to keep the guns out of the hands of people who are a danger to society, while not infringing on the freedoms of upstanding citizens who are responsible enough to own guns.

Why would anyone not want this?? He's not talking about banning sales of anything.
The vast majority of people are ignorant and stupid.
I don't have a problem with Congress making these changes, but I don't want to see this continual creep of executive power. I'm glad the courts are dealing with the immigration changes. We will see what happens here, but I suspect they will also end up in the courts.

Everybody is fine with it as long as their guy has it, but that shoe inevitably makes its way to the other foot.

For the sake of argument, if you both are residents of VA he can legally sell to you if he has no reason to believe you are not allowed to own a gun.This typically is done by asking to see a voter id card or concealed handgun permit. No background check is required in this case.Long guns may be shipped USPS.
OK, thanks. So it seems to me that this is the sort of loophole that many of us would like to see removed. Personally, I would prefer that ALL transfers of gun ownership have to go through a federal background check. I would also like to see full registration of all privately owned firearms in this country. I don't think either of these would infringe upon the 2nd Amendment.Whether or not the President can move us towards these proposals of his own accord without laws emanating from Congress is a separate issue.
What if your kid has anger issues and has shown violent behavior in school and is constantly in trouble? Why shouldn't a person's kids be subjected to background checks? The objective here is to keep the guns out of the hands of people who are a danger to society, while not infringing on the freedoms of upstanding citizens who are responsible enough to own guns.
Can an underage kid legally buy a gun?

For the sake of argument, if you both are residents of VA he can legally sell to you if he has no reason to believe you are not allowed to own a gun.This typically is done by asking to see a voter id card or concealed handgun permit. No background check is required in this case.Long guns may be shipped USPS.
OK, thanks. So it seems to me that this is the sort of loophole that many of us would like to see removed. Personally, I would prefer that ALL transfers of gun ownership have to go through a federal background check. I would also like to see full registration of all privately owned firearms in this country. I don't think either of these would infringe upon the 2nd Amendment.Whether or not the President can move us towards these proposals of his own accord without laws emanating from Congress is a separate issue.
Can an underage kid legally buy a gun?
Let's say he just turned 18. He should need a background check. Even if he's buying a gun from daddy. Probably moreso.

I use guns, I don't flip them for profit, guns depreciate over time, I'm rarely if ever going to make a profit on a gun sale, so technically I'm never going to be in the "business" of selling guns.

"These guys" are a gun-owners advocacy group. It's akin to union leadership analyzing proposed legislation in terms of how it will affect the union, or the AARP analyzing proposed legislation in terms of how it will affect seniors. In other words, exactly what they're supposed to be doing.

"These guys" are a gun-owners advocacy group. It's akin to union leadership analyzing proposed legislation in terms of how it will affect the union, or the AARP analyzing proposed legislation in terms of how it will affect seniors. In other words, exactly what they're supposed to be doing.
It would be akin to the AARP analyzing a proposal to increase the retirement age by one year and concluding "OMG THEY'RE OUT TO ENSLAVE THE ELDERLY!!!"

It would be akin to the AARP analyzing a proposal to increase the retirement age by one year and concluding "OMG THEY'RE OUT TO ENSLAVE THE ELDERLY!!!"
You appear to be referring to something else entirely. If I'm reading it correctly, most of the VCDL analysis posted above concluded it was much ado about nothing.

You appear to be referring to something else entirely. If I'm reading it correctly, most of the VCDL analysis posted above concluded it was much ado about nothing.
Yeah I was just talking about Tim's post sans context. Although there's some truth to it as applied to those guys. I mean, come on:

Get information from the Social Security Administration on mental health issues for the purpose of disqualifying some people from owning a gun. Net effect: this is DANGEROUS, as it can strip people of their right to own a gun WITHOUT DUE PROCESS. A very tiny minority of those with mental health issues are dangerous. Just because you let someone else balance your checkbook doesn’t mean you should not be able to own a gun, but that’s what Obama is doing.
They don't even know how the data is going to be used during the background check, yet they conclude that there will be a denial of due process. And the bit about the checkbook is a little hysterical and over the top, no?

Users who are viewing this thread