What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unlikely 1 point NFL final score (1 Viewer)

PainTrain

Footballguy
Although it has never happened, an NFL game could still be completed with a team scoring just 1 point. How?

From Wikipedia :

Conversion safety[edit]In American football, if what would normally be a safety is scored on an extra point or two-point conversion attempt (officially known in the rulebooks as a try), one point is awarded to the scoring team.[22][23][24] This is commonly known as a conversion safety or one-point safety[25] and it can be scored by the offense.[22][24] There are at least two known occurrences of the conversion safety in Division I college football — a November 26, 2004 game in which Texas scored against Texas A&M, and the 2013 Fiesta Bowl in which Oregon scored against Kansas State.[26] In both games the PAT kick was blocked, recovered by the defense, and then fumbled or thrown back into the end zone.[27] Coincidentally, play-by-play commentator Brad Nessler called both of these games.[28] No conversion safeties have been scored in the NFL since 1940, in part due to the ball becoming dead as soon as the defense gains possession. The only scenario in which a one-point safety could be scored in NFL play would involve the defense kicking or batting a loose ball out the back of the end zone without taking possession of it.[29]

In college football, a conversion safety could also be scored by the defense.[23] To accomplish this, the kicking team would have to retreat all the way back to their own end zone and then fumble the ball out of it or be tackled in it.[25] While such a conversion safety has never been scored by the defense, it is the only possible way in which a team could finish with a single point in an American football game.[25][A]

Impossible, because the only time a Conversion Safety can even occur is after you've scored a TD and are going for a PAT or 2 point conversion..

Last edited by a moderator:
one point safety can occur during extra point tries.

In college football, the ball is "live" during extra point kicks and two point conversions.

Should the defensive team recover or interecept the ball, and then retreat backwards into their end zone and be tackled, ONE point is awarded to the offensive team. This occured during the Texan-Texas A&M game.

A one point safety can occur during a pro game on a block kick attempt.

Answer to get a 1 point safety is on a extra point attempt. the kick gets block and the other team recovers it and is out of the endzone then he runs back in his endzone and gets tackled

A one point safety is also called if the offense carries the ball out of the endzone, fumbles back into the endzone and then recovers it and cannot advance it back out. This happened in a Tennessee-Florida game a few years back.

Answer Though it has never happened, there is one other way in which a one-point safety can be scored in a college football game*, this one by the defensive team. A player on the offensive team must be tackled in his own end zone during a point-after or two-point-conversion attempt. Because that end zone is usually 97 yards away from the original line of scrimmage, you can see why this is an unlikely event. But it is possible. For example, the offensive team, after scoring a touchdown, opts for a point-after kick, but it is blocked, then recovered by an offensive player, who, in attempting to score a 2-point conversion while avoiding being tackled, retreats all the way back to his own end zone, where he is either tackled or steps over the back or side lines of his own end zone.

Another (more likely, albeit complicated) example: the offensive team goes for a 2-point conversion, but the ball is intercepted or fumbled and recovered by a defensive player. The defensive player attempts to run it all the way down the field for a defensive two-point conversion, but fumbles the ball just before reaching the end zone. The rest of what transpires follows the typical rules for scoring a safety, i.e. the loose ball is ultimately either:

(1) recovered just before the goal line by an offensive player who runs it back past the goal line and is downed or steps out of bounds in his own end zone,

(2) muffed into the end zone where it is recovered an offensive player who is then downed or steps out of bounds in his own end zone, or

(3) muffed by an offensive player past the goal line with the loose ball going out of bounds in the end zone, either to side or out the back of the end zone.

* NFL rules do not allow for a "defensive conversion safety". If either of the above examples occurred in an NFL game, no points would be awarded, and the team that had just scored the touchdown would kick off as usual.

Why does everyone keep explaining the conversion safety? There is no way the score could end 1-0 on a conversion safely.

so is the op gonna explain the answer or what?

everything i gather is its not possible.

cause if you score

extra point is blocked and then fumbled for a safety the team who scored would get the point and it would be 7-0

not 6-1

am i right?

So has anyone spotted the op to explain? Just look for :bag:

I think it's well established that a 1-0 score is impossible because in order to have a conversion safety you would need a team to have scored a TD for 6 points. Therefore, the score would be1-6 in this scenario. Not 1-0

I think it's well established that a 1-0 score is impossible because in order to have a conversion safety you would need a team to have scored a TD for 6 points. Therefore, the score would be1-6 in this scenario. Not 1-0
He didn't say the winning team would have 1 point. He said a team would have 1 point.

so it is established that a team cannot score 1 point

cause a conversion safety like in oregon/ksu last year would be points for the team that scored

Although it has never happened, an NFL game could still be completed with a team scoring just 1 point. How?
impossible
Agreed. 1-0 is impossible.
He didn't say 1-0, he said "an NFL game could still be completed with a team scoring just 1 point."
OK. Then, if NFL rules don't allow a defensive team to score a "conversion safety" how can a team end up with 1 point?

He didn't say the winning team would have 1 point. He said a team would have 1 point.
Ok. But nfl rules don't allow for this anyways, so how is it possible to score 1 point? Either way, the OP was wrong

cause if you score

extra point is blocked and then fumbled for a safety the team who scored would get the point and it would be 7-0

not 6-1

am i right?
Correct. No team can ever have just one point at the end of a game. Regardless of the other teams score. Impossible

It's impossible. The ball is NOT live on extra point attempts or 2-pt conversion attempts in the NFL. Blocks can't be run back, the ball is dead. Interceptions or fumble recoveries can't be run back, the ball is dead.

It can't happen in the NFL, but it CAN happen in college football. The defense could score a 1-point safety on a PAT, and the score would be 6-1.

But in the NFL, the defense CANNOT score on a PAT. (The offense could score a 1-point safety during a PAT; however, in that case you would add 1 point to the team which had just scored 6 points.)

cause if you score

not 6-1

am i right?
Correct. No team can ever have just one point at the end of a game. Regardless of the other teams score. Impossible
thought so

close thread

op never to be found again

safety on a conversion attempt.
I believe the 1 point on the conversion safety only goes to teh team attemtping the score, the defense cannot score on a conversion attempt.

As a side trivia, I believe only once in NFL history has there been an 11-10 final.

impossible
Agreed. 1-0 is impossible.
He didn't say 1-0, he said "an NFL game could still be completed with a team scoring just 1 point."
OK. Then, if NFL rules don't allow a defensive team to score a "conversion safety" how can a team end up with 1 point?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA8ShsySc48

(Go Bears?)

It's impossible. The ball is NOT live on extra point attempts or 2-pt conversion attempts in the NFL. Blocks can't be run back, the ball is dead. Interceptions or fumble recoveries can't be run back, the ball is dead.
On a conversion, the QB takes the snap and sprints backwards to his own endzone.

Would that not result in a point for the defending team?

On a conversion, the QB takes the snap and sprints backwards to his own endzone.

Would that not result in a point for the defending team?
The ball would be dead and the play would be over. No score. The defense is not permitted to score points on a PAT, no matter what happens.

cause if you score

not 6-1

am i right?
thought so

close thread

op never to be found again
Ha. OP was just trying to get a fun riddle going. Guaranteed some people learned something new from it.

safety on a conversion attempt.
I believe the 1 point on the conversion safety only goes to teh team attemtping the score, the defense cannot score on a conversion attempt.

As a side trivia, I believe only once in NFL history has there been an 11-10 final.
steelers/chargers a few years ago right?
that was 11-8
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3707245

Users who are viewing this thread