What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Up by 7, go for 2-pt. conversion? (1 Viewer)

M. Flak

Footballguy
Let's say we're in the 4th quarter and you get a TD to put you up by 7. Do you kick an extra point or go for 2? I'd say you go for 2 to make it a 2-score game.

Wait, seriously? I think this is a worthwhile question. A 2-point conversion is a 50/50 proposition for both you and your opponent. If you are successful, you put them down by 2 scores and 'assure' a win. Going for an XP, the other team has a 50/50 chance to tie if they do get a TD. I'd say the upside play is the 2-point. I'm sure there's math to be done, but with the NFL parity these days, seems like upside may be the way to go.

Conversion rate is historically < 50% so, in general, you kick

odds of other team tying:

go for 2: Odds of opposing TD * odds of 2 pt failure by you

kick: odds of opposing TD * odds of two point success by them

OK.....If You kick the extra point, you have basically 100% chance of being up by 8. The other team has to score a TD, let's assign a 50 percent probability to that. Then they have to convert the two-point conversion, let's assign a 50 percent probablity to that. Then they have to win in OT, let's assign another 50 percent probability to that. So by kicking the extra point, you will win 7/8th of the time.

No, you try for two. 50 percent of the time you basically sealed the victory. The other 50 percent of the time you end up by 7. The other team has a 50 percent chance of tying the game, and then a 50 percent chance of winning in OT. So again you will win 7/8th of the time under that scenario.

Note......The only real downside is that the other team knows they need to twice if you make the two if they are down by 9. They will change their play and make more aggressive plays including on-side kicks and conserve more clock. That probably is only a minor change, but does make a slight case to just go ahead and kick the extra point. It is basically a wash though assuming it is late in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
and if you miss the 2 pointer and the other team scores you gave them the tie like 99.99 percent of the tie.

Edit: time to tie, auto correct sucks.

The obvious error that people are making here is in saying that a 2 point conversion is a 50/50 proposition. It is a 46/54 propostion.

:shrug:

Last two years, the conversion rate is 50% (46-92), with some teams significantly better than others. So, I don't think it's a bad idea, but might depend on the team.

Users who are viewing this thread