What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (8 Viewers)

NewlyRetired said:
wow that is so bad :(

They no longer control their own fate.

One game left, Werder play Monchengladbach, Armenia play Stuggart.  I believe both Stuggart and and Gladbach are shooting for the last Europa spot.

Losing both Sargent and Hoppe to Bundie 2 would not be great :(
Wonder if they look to replace Sargent. New coach is probably going to want a striker who scores. 

Wonder if they look to replace Sargent. New coach is probably going to want a striker who scores. 
Sargent is tied for most goals on the team with two players and one of the other 2 players takes the teams pk's.

Sargent also has the 3rd most assists on the team.

He could definitely be more involved but the team in general sucks offensively.

Sargent is tied for most goals on the team with two players and one of the other 2 players takes the teams pk's.

Sargent also has the 3rd most assists on the team.

He could definitely be more involved but the team in general sucks offensively.
Sarge is either the tallest midget or playing with an anchor tied to his leg.  Relegation after 40 years in the Bundesliga would result in every aspect of the team being put under a microscope.  Maybe I'm wrong and they will see Sarge as a bright spot on a team devoid of talent instead of the American who lead them to relegation.

Sporting KC had Busio playing the 6 yesterday afternoon and the team looked the best it had all year.  Vermes also moved him back to the 6 in the second half against Houston and the team immediately looked better IMO.

To me, this is where he belongs. He's only 18, but he's so calm on the ball and his distribution is outstanding. He's also starting to get a little salty from a physical standpoint and is getting very tactical on how he does it.

As I've stated before, KC needs to sell him this year. He's getting a lot of playing time, which is a great thing at his age, but to me it's time for him to test his mettle in a better league if that opportunity presents.

Sarge is either the tallest midget or playing with an anchor tied to his leg.  Relegation after 40 years in the Bundesliga would result in every aspect of the team being put under a microscope.  Maybe I'm wrong and they will see Sarge as a bright spot on a team devoid of talent instead of the American who lead them to relegation.
The coach had routinely praised Sarge and former teammates like Pizarro had as well.

Yeah..bottom line, the statistical production is probably low relative to other starting 9s (at a guess). I do wonder how many chances he's actually getting relative to those stats and to other players. When I've watched WB, yuck. They didn't generate a lot of offense. And their best player was a MF who would take all the chances himself...never saw him look for teammates like Sarge or others when he got around the box.  

If WB goes down, I don't know that there will be a lot of buyers for Sarge, regardless of any praise the previous coach had for him. I do hope he can stay up with the team or find another too flight squad in Germany or elsewhere. If he's going to progress, he needs to play against better players and teams.

Sporting KC had Busio playing the 6 yesterday afternoon and the team looked the best it had all year.  Vermes also moved him back to the 6 in the second half against Houston and the team immediately looked better IMO.

To me, this is where he belongs. He's only 18, but he's so calm on the ball and his distribution is outstanding. He's also starting to get a little salty from a physical standpoint and is getting very tactical on how he does it.

As I've stated before, KC needs to sell him this year. He's getting a lot of playing time, which is a great thing at his age, but to me it's time for him to test his mettle in a better league if that opportunity presents.
Maybe our long-term solution for another #6 to backup and/or compete w/ Adams.  

The coach had routinely praised Sarge and former teammates like Pizarro had as well.

Yeah..bottom line, the statistical production is probably low relative to other starting 9s (at a guess). I do wonder how many chances he's actually getting relative to those stats and to other players. When I've watched WB, yuck. They didn't generate a lot of offense. And their best player was a MF who would take all the chances himself...never saw him look for teammates like Sarge or others when he got around the box.  

If WB goes down, I don't know that there will be a lot of buyers for Sarge, regardless of any praise the previous coach had for him. I do hope he can stay up with the team or find another too flight squad in Germany or elsewhere. If he's going to progress, he needs to play against better players and teams.
I think it most likely that they get relegated, and he stays with WB.  Then we see if he can score against lesser competition.  If not, then he's shown his worth IMO.  Same may happen to Hoppe.  Both are relatively cheap compared to other players that might get jettisoned after relegation.  Both are under contract and they don't seem to be the types to demand a transfer.

So what do we have set for next years Champions League?

*Gio, Adams, Brooks, Aaronson, Yedlin, Marsch, Weah, Steffen and Dest I believe are all in.

*Pulisic and McKenzie are still undecided (McKenzie is really close though)

*Weston is a long shot.

*Sieb would be in but he was on loan to Young Boys so I don't know if he will be with the team again.

*Richards will depend on whether he stays at Bayern or is loaned again

Am I missing anyone?

The Costa Rica friendly right after Nations League has a stadium now

=============================

U.S. Soccer MNT

@USMNT

It’s about time we returned to Utah!

Presale and general ticket information is now available for #USAvCRC, presented by @Allstate, on June 9 in Sandy.

ALSO: @RioTintoStadium will now be open to near full capacity for the match.

I looked at ESPN stat tracker for the first half before going into a meeting...Dikes only involvement was 3 or 4 fouls. 
The Dike experience is going to be an acquired taste :)

=======

Sanjiv

@USMNTvideos

Daryl Dike completed one pass with his feet in the first half

Sanjiv

@USMNTvideos

Patiently waiting for his first completed foot pass this half

Sanjiv

@USMNTvideos

It never happened

We chuckle now but I fear striker may give us fits this cycle.  Sargent and Dike are about as diametrically opposed as any two players in the same position can be,  It is like needing two separate offensive game plans based on which one plays.

Would be an amazing thing to combine the two players into one though :)

We chuckle now but I fear striker may give us fits this cycle.  Sargent and Dike are about as diametrically opposed as any two players in the same position can be,  It is like needing two separate offensive game plans based on which one plays.

I would like to see how Sieb does.

I still wonder whether Weah could work his way into consideration a year from now. Seems like he'd be better as a 2nd striker as the (much more talented version of) Charlie Davies alongside a Jozy type. Of course, we dont play that style anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like what Dike brings against bad competition, but not many teams are going to plug an actual island into their lineup.  Almost think you have to build the lineup around him to make it work right.

I like what Dike brings against bad competition, but not many teams are going to plug an actual island into their lineup.  Almost think you have to build the lineup around him to make it work right.
It will be interesting to watch this develop.  Barnsley are through and through a rough and inelegant Championship built team.

The US is, for the first time ever, now full of quality players, most of whom are significantly better than players on Barnsley.

I don't yet know if that is better or worse for Dike though.

I still wonder whether Weah could work his way into consideration a year from now. Seems like he'd be better as a 2nd striker as the (much more talented version of) Charlie Davies alongside a Jozy type. Of course, we dont play that style anymore.
Welcome back!

I miss dual striker set ups.

If we see GGG only roster two strikers, my guess is that he sees Weah as the 3rd choice if needed.

Welcome back!

I miss dual striker set ups.

If we see GGG only roster two strikers, my guess is that he sees Weah as the 3rd choice if needed.
Good to be back.  Easiest time I ever did.....(other than the fact that the forum time-stamps get weird when you're not actually logged in)

I just kinda feel like Weah has a lot of potential making runs off Sarge's holdup play. (and with other creative guys like CP and Reyna around him)  Just feel like it would be a nice fit.

Of course, that takes someone else out of the lineup, probably someone like Musah.  Not really worth talking about for now, as Greg clearly isn't going to deviate from his system.

Awful for Long as this was likely his window.  But huge opportunity for either Miazga or Richards to stake a claim.

@Dinsy Ejotuzlooks like it was a bad injury

==============

Kristian Dyer

@KristianRDyer

Source: #RBNY & #USMNT Aaron Long has suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon, likely out for the rest of the MLS season

Awful for Long as this was likely his window.  But huge opportunity for either Miazga or Richards to stake a claim.

==============

Kristian Dyer

@KristianRDyer

Source: #RBNY & #USMNT Aaron Long has suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon, likely out for the rest of the MLS season
Even though I'm an unapologetic Miazga fan, I hate to see this.  Long had grown on me. Hope he can make a comeback. I also concede that Richards would probably be the better choice between the two as he's definitely more dynamic, though we'll still need Matt for CONCACAF duty.

==============

Kristian Dyer

@KristianRDyer

####

I am gutted for both him and Morris. 

When you consider the combination of their age, the increased quality of the young players coming up and the World Cup only 18 months away, it is likely that one or both of them are going to miss their only chance to get to play in a WC.

Yeah, can't imagine how heartbreaking that has to be.  Total bummer for both.  They probably won't get another shot once the teenagers all hit their primes

And name him Zardes?

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Congratulations to #USMNT forward Jordan Siebatcheu who signs a permanent contract with BSC Young Boys through 2024. He had been at the club on loan from Rennes but was out of favor there. You got the sense this was coming as he continued to play after the title was clinched

Does anyone know what position Long used to play?

=======================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Aaron Long's season is over but the surgery was successful. The road to recovery starts now. I always found Long's career to be interesting - a big credit to Jesse Marsch who converted him to central defense at age 23/24 and helped his career take off

=======================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Aaron Long's season is over but the surgery was successful. The road to recovery starts now. I always found Long's career to be interesting - a big credit to Jesse Marsch who converted him to central defense at age 23/24 and helped his career take off
Long joined Seattle Sounders FC during the 2014 season, but did not make an appearance with the first team. On March 14, 2015 Long signed with Seattle Sounders FC 2.[8] On July 12, 2015 Long scored his first goal as a professional in a 4–0 victory over Arizona United SC.[9] He was a regular starter for Sounders 2 playing as a midfielder before being converted to centerback, appearing in 28 matches and recording one goal and two assists.

=======================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Midfield.  As a 6.  However, I don't know how accurate this tweet was because I know Long was playing center back as early as his time in Seattle, which was before Marsch ever got ahold of him.  Maybe Marsch just made him a permanent CB instead of moving him back and forth between CDM and CB?

Ream not only starts today in the first time in forever but also gets the captain's arm band. 

That smells a lot like "thank you for the memories" on his way out this summer.

Ream not only starts today in the first time in forever but also gets the captain's arm band. 

That smells a lot like "thank you for the memories" on his way out this summer.
Maybe, but Ream is one of their cheapest defenders wage wise...  I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell some of the younger CBs that are on £60k/week and keep Ream at his £27k/week instead(even if just for backup).  There's going to be a lot of cost saving actions committed in the next few months.

When you know US National Team games are soon to be played a tweet like this is sure to follow

=================================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

John Brooks misses training today with a bruised foot.

======

United States attacker Josh Sargent could leave Werder Bremen this summer, sources have told ESPN.

The 21-year-old is one of only a few players who could command a significant fee for the financially troubled Bundesliga side.

Sources have told ESPN that the former Bundesliga champions are open to listen to offers for Sargent. Bremen are operating on a shoestring budget and have been hit hard financially by the coronavirus pandemic. They are hoping to generate a €9 million transfer income for one or more players before June 30.

Sargent would also be open to leave the Weserstadion after three seasons and would prefer to remain in Germany, but move on to a club in the upper half of the Bundesliga table. Eintracht Frankfurt, Borussia Monchengladbach, VfB Stuttgart and Bayer Leverkusen are among the possible destinations, sources have told ESPN.

When you know US National Team games are soon to be played a tweet like this is sure to follow

=================================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

John Brooks misses training today with a bruised foot.
Damnit!  Brooks is in consideration for defensive player of the year in the Bundesliga.  His consistency had always been a bit of an issue in the past, but he's played great day in and out this year.   Was expecting great things this summer from him.

FYI, his(and Wolfsburgs' overally defensive) play has been so good that teams like Chelsea and Atletico are looking at potentially buying his young CB partner Maxence LaCroix.  

Users who are viewing this thread