What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (9 Viewers)

I missed this announcement last week but JK said Timmy would start in goal against T&T
Twellman said it (at least once) on the broadcast Friday. He seemed to think that meant Howard was really 1a.
No question in my mind. To me, howard is still the better player. There was no risk playing guzan against a team like that. They could win that game with me between the sticks
I think that's debatable. However, I think its quite a longshot for that to be true in two and a half years. Its time for the team to move on from Howard.

I missed this announcement last week but JK said Timmy would start in goal against T&T
Twellman said it (at least once) on the broadcast Friday. He seemed to think that meant Howard was really 1a.
No question in my mind. To me, howard is still the better player. There was no risk playing guzan against a team like that. They could win that game with me between the sticks
I think that's debatable. However, I think its quite a longshot for that to be true in two and a half years. Its time for the team to move on from Howard.
You're probably right, but at this point, I think we need to just play Howard until Guzan (or someone else) is clearly better than him. Guzan had a year to distinguish himself and didn't really do so. I also think we've reached the point in Guzan's career where he probably isn't going to get any better. He's 31 years old and kinda is what he is.

I also dont think (And could certainly be wrong, as I've never played soccer in my adult life) that swapping Howard out when he shows that he's done will have that great of an effect on team chemistry. We obviously need to take some lumps in terms of short-term success by integrating some younger field players (so that they can get the necessary experience individually and as a group). But If 24 months from now, we decide that Howard is done, I think we'll be able to make the change without too much of a disruption to the entire team.

Just a reminder for those looking for the US T&T game. The away qualifiers are not controlled by Fox/ESPN.

The game will be shown on beInSport in English and NBCU in Spanish
Ugh, I'm in a hotel tomorrow night. I seriously doubt they have BEiN or NBCU. I'm sure there will be 'illegal' streams online, but that sucks because picture quality can be so hit/miss. Does either BEiN or NBCU have direct feeds? I have my login information for cable.
Not sure which cable provider you are, but if you are an Xfinity subscriber that subscribes to their sports tier, BeIN is available for streaming on their TV Go app.

You're probably right, but at this point, I think we need to just play Howard until Guzan (or someone else) is clearly better than him. Guzan had a year to distinguish himself and didn't really do so. I also think we've reached the point in Guzan's career where he probably isn't going to get any better. He's 31 years old and kinda is what he is.

I also dont think (And could certainly be wrong, as I've never played soccer in my adult life) that swapping Howard out when he shows that he's done will have that great of an effect on team chemistry. We obviously need to take some lumps in terms of short-term success by integrating some younger field players (so that they can get the necessary experience individually and as a group). But If 24 months from now, we decide that Howard is done, I think we'll be able to make the change without too much of a disruption to the entire team.
He's been out of form lately, but he's pretty damn accomplished.

It is funny to say this so early in the qualifying round but if the US can get 3 points tonight, I feel almost 100% assured they are going to advance which would a great feeling since more times than not we have to sweat this round out.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is funny to say this so early in the qualifying round but if the US can get 3 points tonight, I feel almost 100% assured they are going to advance which would a great feeling since more times than not we have to sweat this round out.
three points would be amazing.

given recent form- one point would be amazing, IMO.

Are T&T that good or are you just that pessimistic? I honestly have no idea.

I sure hope we get the beIN Sport channel. My boys (6 & 9) are super excited about the WC qualifying process.

Are T&T that good or are you just that pessimistic? I honestly have no idea.

I sure hope we get the beIN Sport channel. My boys (6 & 9) are super excited about the WC qualifying process.
Away to T&T has always been a tough fixture. The US has never won that game by more than one goal (they've also rarely lost the game, though).

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Instead of posting my preferred lineup, I figured I'd just post a few thoughts on decisions that Klinsmann has to make.

1. Do we still play the diamond? This is a tough question, because Wood has earned a start. But I doubt he's really ready to be the lone striker (and in any case JK will never play him that way). If I had my druthers, we'd play a 4-2-3-1 (with Bradley in a withdrawn role).

2. Can we afford to play Zardes and Yedlin on the right together (particularly if Jones is one of the CMs)? The good news is the JK seemed to acknowledge that his selection in the St. V & G game was based on opponent and that Yedlin and Zardes were a calculated risk on the right. They do offer the most dynamic possibilities going forward. But when you put both together on the same side, and have Jones as the covering mid, you are begging for a giveaway and counter down that side. I think both Gyasi and DeAndre have played their way into being fairly regular starters, but I just don't like the combination together. I'd probably bench Gyasi for Mix and Jones for Beckerman.

3. How much rope do we give Jozy? He's going to start guys, but I don't know how long I'd play him.

4. How much do we trust Nagbe? Nagbe has an insanely high pass completion percentage in MLS. If he plays above Bradley and Beckerman, you have a spine that can probably really control possession. I liked that Nagbe didn't just go out and try to make spectacular plays against St. Vincent. I thought he played calm, intelligent passes and controlled the game. That's what I'd like to see away against a countering team. I suspect, however, that Bradley will play as the 10 and Jones will make the XI. Jones is a good player, but this type of game is his Kryptonite. No bueno.

I do think there are some no brainers. Cam and Besler in central defense. Fab at LM and Ream behind him (I'm becoming the #1 Tim Ream fan because its refreshing to see an American fullback play balls to attackers' feet).

Lots of interesting articles today. This one may only be interesting to me because my family were season ticket holder in Team America's only season. I can confirm two aspects of the article:

1. Poor Ricky Davis got killed by Team America and its fans every time he touched the ball.

2. Jeff Durgan was pretty much the nastiest center back I've ever seen.

Lots of interesting articles today. This one may only be interesting to me because my family were season ticket holder in Team America's only season. I can confirm two aspects of the article:

1. Poor Ricky Davis got killed by Team America and its fans every time he touched the ball.

:blackdot:

can't believe I've never heard of this team/story.

Instead of posting my preferred lineup, I figured I'd just post a few thoughts on decisions that Klinsmann has to make.

1. Do we still play the diamond? This is a tough question, because Wood has earned a start. But I doubt he's really ready to be the lone striker
I am misunderstanding your formation I think. Why would a diamond midfield preclude using two strikers?

A diamond midfield is almost always used with two strikers in a classic 4-4-2 formation.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m03x2sKOOx1r6ksip.jpg

:blackdot:

can't believe I've never heard of this team/story.
I have heard of the team but never read the story behind it. Wonderful article.

Good lord, how true is this statement even today 30 years later? LOL

"They asked [Michels] how long it would take for an American to become a good soccer player," remembers midfielder Tony Crescitelli. "And his reply was, ‘Five years – that's how long it takes for a foreigner to become an American citizen.' So yeah, everyone was like, 'What the hell did he just say? Are you kidding me?'"

We have all done the best US all time team/roster thing a few times.

I was thinking today about trying to come up with an All Time US "what might have been" team. I don't think I have enough players though. Is there anyone obvious I am missing?

Charlie Davies

Stewart Holden

Nevan Subotic

Giuseppe Rossi

Diego Fagundez

Andy Najar

Close calls would be Gooch and O'Brien but it is hard to determine where to make an injury cut off.

Is it just injuries and lost dual nationals or is players who maybe had issues that prevented them reaching their full potential?

For instance, before he did his ACL and lost his fitness, I'd say that Clint Mathis was one of the most talented American attackers we've seen. He had 47 appearances, but his prime was really two seasons. His numbers with the Nats from that period. 21 appearances, 15 starts, 9 goals, 6 assists. Not too shabby.

Is it just injuries and lost dual nationals or is players who maybe had issues that prevented them reaching their full potential?
any and all of the above.
In that case, Adu.
I'm trying to remember the kid... Steve Snow? maybe Steve Shack? ... crazy good forward that didn't click with the US coach and couldn't perservere. there was a story about where he was now recently that somebody posted in here.

El Floppo said:
CBusAlex said:
NewlyRetired said:
Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
any and all of the above.
In that case, Adu.
I'm trying to remember the kid... Steve Snow? maybe Steve Shack? ... crazy good forward that didn't click with the US coach and couldn't perservere. there was a story about where he was now recently that somebody posted in here.
It was Snow

Everyone should extend their dvr's for the game. It looks like they lost power at the stadium in Trinidad and the back up generator did not work.

US line up is out

..............Timmy

Orozco....Cam.....Besler....Ream

Yedlin...Jones...Bradley....Fab

............Zardes........Jozy

The lineup makes me a little nervous. It just looks like a turnover machine especially with Jones continued struggles in the midfield.

Are you guys ready to kick some Trini buttocks?! We're going to crush them so mercilessly that Tobago is going to secede in embarrassment. Doubles and aloo pies for everyone! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Users who are viewing this thread