What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (8 Viewers)

Didn't hear the Q, but basically had to be about Bruce stepping down or being fired:

"We didn't get to the World Cup.  It was my job to get us to the World Cup."
Its a harsh question to ask - but its also a no-brainer.  I assume his contract is through next summer, but he has no reason to stick around to play a bunch of friendlies.

It will be interesting to see if we even have a January camp this year - I think its important to continue to do things like that to bring in new faces and make sure everyone is staying at the top of their game.  Klinsmann was more right than Arena on that specific point - players who want to be international caliber players are fit 365 days a year.  There is no off-season.

What a nut punch.  I'm not sure why this team thought they could coast through this game, but they got what they deserved for that effort. 

If I am being honest though, this won't keep me from enjoying the WC next summer, won't even care about the US team by then - and this team was never getting out of the group stage. 

Before you know it, it will be Gold Cup WC qualifying all over, and this will be a distant memory.
No it won't be a distant memory. It's a grim reality check about how little progress has been made over the last 25 years. A quarter century has passed since the '94 WC and we end up with a team that can't even tie the worst team in the Hex with everything on the line. What will the next 25 years bring? Probably more of the same. 

Whelp...we have three guys from this team to build around...open competition for anyone under 25 starting today.  New eyes. Figure out how to run a 4-2-3-1 with Wood up too, Pulisic in the middle and Yedlin at right back.  Everything else is fair game.

a ####### national embarrassment.

I hope to hell these guys to a man are taken to the woodshed in the press, on the field, in the stands... for a LONG time.  they were terrible today and way too often throughout this cycle.

I dont see any point to a January camp. A bunch of MLS players kicking the ball around for 2 weeks when we dont have a game that matters for 2 years? Meh.

If I am being honest though, this won't keep me from enjoying the WC next summer, won't even care about the US team by then - and this team was never getting out of the group stage. 

Before you know it, it will be Gold Cup WC qualifying all over, and this will be a distant memory.
Now I can focus on Portugal. 

No it won't be a distant memory. It's a grim reality check about how little progress has been made over the last 25 years. A quarter century has passed since the '94 WC and we end up with a team that can't even tie the worst team in the Hex with everything on the line. What will the next 25 years bring? Probably more of the same. 
It's a shot at the narrative from people who haven't paid attention since Brazil that this country is somehow a rising soccer power

Whelp...we have three guys from this team to build around...open competition for anyone under 25 starting today.  New eyes. Figure out how to run a 4-2-3-1 with Wood up too, Pulisic in the middle and Yedlin at right back.  Everything else is fair game.
I'm not sold on Wood. 

CP, Yedlin... maybe Nips.... Brooks... Swagger

I dont see any point to a January camp. A bunch of MLS players kicking the ball around for 2 weeks when we dont have a game that matters for 2 years? Meh.
It would only make any sense if we have a brand new coach that knows none of the players.  He has to start some where.  But with out a new coach, I am unsure why we should bother with the November friendlies or a winter camp.

I don't see that.  There's way more talent to chose from in the pool, and the competition has improved dramatically as well.  I think it's more likely that this changes things for US Soccer.

No - thats too much thinking.  We were a disorganized squad in-between generations - and we just played poorly.  The future is still bright.  We got lazy, and took qualification for granted.  The US has always been a scrappy team, willing to out work others even when we had less skill.  That is our playing style, and we need to bring that back.  This team was not as skilled as they thought, and not nearly scrappy enough to make up the difference.

This team kind of reminds me of my freshman year in college - We may have been short, but we were slow.

if is fascinating how we went from "no time to experiment, to "all the time in the world to experiment" in a blink.  First real game won't be until the Gold Cup in 2019 I think.

I know it is unthinkable from Concacaf's point of view but I wonder if it would benefit the US if someone else hosted and forced the US to play on the road..............

No - thats too much thinking.  We were a disorganized squad in-between generations - and we just played poorly.  The future is still bright.  We got lazy, and took qualification for granted.  The US has always been a scrappy team, willing to out work others even when we had less skill.  That is our playing style, and we need to bring that back.  This team was not as skilled as they thought, and not nearly scrappy enough to make up the difference.

This team kind of reminds me of my freshman year in college - We may have been short, but we were slow.
That's the truth.  In retrospect, Bradley's sell by date expired the summer of 2016 and both coaches stuck with him (and made it worse by isolating him).  

Last edited by a moderator:
one thing I kind of like as a fan is that no one should be considered a lock any more.  I want the new coach to look and Bradley, Jozy, and any one else who has been handed almost non stop starts for years with a critical eye.

And this should be easy I think, considering the results.

I am not on board with the doomsday scenarios being exposed. 

Sure, the sport will take a momentary slip (may 12-18 months) in its continual rise in popularity in the country, but I think by 2019, this will all be a distant memory for most fans and the sport will continue upward in the US

I am not on board with the doomsday scenarios being exposed. 

Sure, the sport will take a momentary slip (may 12-18 months) in its continual rise in popularity in the country, but I think by 2019, this will all be a distant memory for most fans and the sport will continue upward in the US
If FC Cincinnati gets derailed or MLS gets too cute and screws everything up, I’ll probably just start watching darts on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread