What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

I always wondered what would happen if a smaller state took the German or Belgium model and completely replicated it.  Don't worry about following US soccer, but just go Rogue. Have Bill Gates or someone from FBG fund it and lets see how one state could do with an Idaho Development Academy and an Idaho U20 etc... No more pay to play etc...  Yes, I know it'll never happen but I'd be curious.   

I think it has more to do that those smaller countries still live for soccer and we don't.  We have more kids and people who do than we used to, but not like a Belgium or Germany.
I'm not following closely, but China is spending a ton of money on soccer right now. snapping up top level talent for their league, and IIRC, pumping a ton of money and energy at developing their youth. 

anybody know more about what they're doing there... specifically with youth development?

we ideally need smaller pro clubs- MLS affiliated maybe (sorry NASL... :( )  to fill in the geographically holes between MLS sides. they can have academies that are linked to MLS. 

I'm spitballing.
it will be difficult financially.  MLS clubs have just recently had enough funds to start investing in academies.  I don't see how lower level clubs are going to be able to afford it, at least in the coming decade.

I'm not following closely, but China is spending a ton of money on soccer right now. snapping up top level talent for their league, and IIRC, pumping a ton of money and energy at developing their youth. 

anybody know more about what they're doing there... specifically with youth development?
Yea - play soccer well or make Apple iPhones locked up in a factory. MOTIVATION

If I'm Chile I watch these 3 CONCACAF games and think WHAT. THE. ####.???
Seriously.  Chile is the back-to-back Copa America champs and they didn't even make the playoff.  Can't even call my dad (Chilean citizen) to ##### about this.  Going down to see him this weekend and I imagine we'll both be staring at the wall for much of the time, just wondering how this happened. 

Yeah, that really is the part that I think holds us back.

Here in the US, parents let their kids play for "elite clubs" in an effort to save some $$ in tuition 5-10 years down the road.  When you consider the fact that men's D1 and D2 soccer programs only get 9 scholarships (which are almost certainly split among more than 9 guys in almost all cases) it makes the whole thing seem even sillier.

We're never going to get to the dog-eat-dog only the strong survive cutthroat environment of the European academies. Our culture wont allow it. "Become a super star or get the #### out. We dont care how many games little Johhny's U-12 team wins" will NEVER fly in this country.
I don't buy this at all.  You could easily subsidize regional "high schools" with centralized training regimes and have those kids either go into MLS or D1.  However the pay to play programs are too powerful right now.  

If course they just did away with Bradenton, so I'm not holding out much hope.

Sam Borden‏Verified account @SamBorden

Just reached Jurgen Klinsmann by phone: "Yes, I watched, but I don't want to give any comments right now. It wouldn't be right."

China also got 12 points and finished fifth in their AFC qualifying group.

Jermaine Jones‏Verified account @Jermainejunior

And everybody talked #### about Jürgen!!! Ridiculous stupid.... man I get too much!!! I feel sorry for the boys!

it will be difficult financially.  MLS clubs have just recently had enough funds to start investing in academies.  I don't see how lower level clubs are going to be able to afford it, at least in the coming decade.
Rapids Academy is closer to a glorified pay to play program then a Euro-style Academy - not sure what it is elsewhere around the league. They have moved a couple of kids up to University of Denver and then to the club but I don't know that the program had a lot to do with the development since it was relatively new.

oh, I really don't like this comment from Sunil............

==========================================

Jeff Carlisle‏Verified account @JeffreyCarlisle

Gulati: “You don’t make wholesale changes on a ball being two inches wide or two inches in...We’ll look at everything.” #usmnt

sigh.

they just started putting money into this. it's been like literally 2 or 3 years.... IF that. but yeah... they should be doing better already.
Uzbekistan is no pushover

ETA:  The Brazil of the steppes

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulati: “You don’t make wholesale changes on a ball being two inches wide or two inches in...We’ll look at everything.” #usmnt
What about 12 points from 10 games?

What is he going to say.  This is on his head as much as anyone.  

Bruce Arenas is an idiot. All he need was a draw and he lined up with the same suicidally offensive formation as he did on Friday. What a ####### moron. Also didn't give any players rest between the two games. Should have ####### loaded up a three man midfield with McCarty, Bradley, and Bedoya or Acosta to gives us firm control of the game.

Seriously a child might have come up with a better tactical plan for that game. Just so embarrassing from Arenas, and he didn't take any of the blame in the press conference either.

El Floppo said:
CletiusMaximus said:
Moe. said:
Sunil can’t get fired right? He’s like a judge or something
He must resign, surely. I’ll forever call him Sepp Gulati if he doesn’t. (He won’t) 
I just saw him on Sunday. wish I had spit on his kids.
ok... this might have been a little harsh. 

beaten, yes- but spitting is a bit of a low blwo.

No it won't be a distant memory. It's a grim reality check about how little progress has been made over the last 25 years. A quarter century has passed since the '94 WC and we end up with a team that can't even tie the worst team in the Hex with everything on the line. What will the next 25 years bring? Probably more of the same. 
Yes and no.

I think we've made a lot of progress, but soccer is a high-variance sport, and international tournaments are sporadic. Progress will not be linear. There will be lots of ups and downs.

The reality is we're not as good as we think we are when we get out of the World Cup group stage, and we're not as bad as we think we are tonight.

I've always thought where Americans lack perspective is how many countries there are that are at a similar level to us or not far behind. The world is deep. We'd be very ordinary if we were in CONMEBOL or UEFA, and we'd be no lock to qualify for the WC out of Africa or Asia either.

So which players does this tarnish the most do you think?   

I feel like Howard and Dempsey get a pass for age(it is not there fault no one younger than them kept them out of games), as does Pulisic get a pass for age (well that and the fact that he was really really good overall of course).

I feel like Bradley and Jozy are the two whose legacy will be the most tarnished from this.

Jermaine Jones‏Verified account @Jermainejunior

And everybody talked #### about Jürgen!!! Ridiculous stupid.... man I get too much!!! I feel sorry for the boys!
the sad reality is yeah- caillou slowed down too much and there was nobody to replace him. but there was also nobody to replace jermany- and dammit, he brought exactly what needed replacing from this sorry pitiful lot.

I feel like Howard and Dempsey get a pass for age(it is not there fault no one younger than them kept them out of games), as does Pulisic get a pass for age (well that and the fact that he was really really good overall of course).

I feel like Bradley and Jozy are the two whose legacy will be the most tarnished from this.
Sounds about right. 

I'm cool with never seeing Bradley play again, anywhere. I can't stand him. 

The reality is we're not as good as we think we are when we get out of the World Cup group stage, and we're not as bad as we think we are tonight.

I've always thought where Americans lack perspective is how many countries there are that are at a similar level to us or not far behind. The world is deep. We'd be very ordinary if we were in CONMEBOL or UEFA, and we'd be no lock to qualify for the WC out of Africa or Asia either.
It is impossible for most to fully appreciate this post in our current state but I think it is 100% true. 

Sounds about right. 

I'm cool with never seeing Bradley play again, anywhere. I can't stand him
the sad reality is yeah- caillou slowed down too much and there was nobody to replace him. but there was also nobody to replace jermany- and dammit, he brought exactly what needed replacing from this sorry pitiful lot.
Yeah I have thought a few times having jones out there for some fire would be needed when pulisic was getting hacked. This was a game where he could have hopefully done something to get everyone fired up.

I mean, one could argue that Argentina almost missed the World Cup if not for tonight and they are a powerhouse with arguably the world's best player, so these things happen to good teams as well.

Then again, they didn't lose to T&T tonight either, so nevermind.

yeah... Jozy for sure- he didn't really even get to play in the last WC.

I'd add Cameron. didn't even get on the field for this crap. and will likely/hopefully be too old for the next one.

and sadly Nagbe. at least in my eyes. I've been a really big fan of his willing to gloss over so many of his deficits that you guys didn't. but just couldn't stand watching him watch the play happen defensively these last two games- not reading the runs, not reading the second ball, not reading the need for cover as the second defender or to pinch in and provide weakside help to caillou. and then on the ball- so slow. so many touches before doing whatever it was that he did. ugh. him more than anybody else I think for me.

Yeah I have thought a few times having jones out there for some fire would be needed when pulisic was getting hacked. This was a game where he could have hopefully done something to get everyone fired up.
again the age thing pops up. 

We relied on too many old players this cycle and either through both coaches lack of confidence or through lack of quality, we had no like for like replacements.

A younger version of Howard, Dempsey and Jones, and this team is in a much better spot IMO.

We relied on too many old players this cycle and either through both coaches lack of confidence or through lack of quality, we had no like for like replacements.
It's a circular argument.  While there was some new blood, there were a lot of familiar but older faces who just weren't as good this go around.  I guess we just reached this crossroads nine months sooner that anybody expected.

Good chance jones would have been ineligible from yellow card accumulation and wouldn't have been out there

I mean, one could argue that Argentina almost missed the World Cup if not for tonight and they are a powerhouse with arguably the world's best player, so these things happen to good teams as well.

Then again, they didn't lose to T&T tonight either, so nevermind.
Yea, Chile and the Dutch too. Both far better teams than us. Who are we to complain. 

A younger version of Howard, Dempsey and Jones, and this team is in a much better spot IMO.
and caillou. the guy is a quality pro with an endless motor, fantastic feel for the game and decent skills. remember how much ground he'd cover up and down the field? but he became beckerman... and without a younger caillou next to him to cover up his deficiencies. 

Users who are viewing this thread