What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (12 Viewers)

You guys still all over Reyna as the best US player in a couple of years?
Gio has talent.  He's at the same spot Pulisic was 4 years ago.  Pulisic is now in the rise of his career.  He's turning that potential into results.  He not only belongs on the field with some of the best players in the world, but he's one of the better guys on it right now.  

I don't know if Gio will ever get to that same point, but he has the potential to.  His game is also markedly different from Pulisic's.  If he can turn his potential into results in the same way...  well, it'll be fun to argue who is the best player in 4-5 years or so.

Gio has talent.  He's at the same spot Pulisic was 4 years ago.  Pulisic is now in the rise of his career.  He's turning that potential into results.  He not only belongs on the field with some of the best players in the world, but he's one of the better guys on it right now.  

I don't know if Gio will ever get to that same point, but he has the potential to.  His game is also markedly different from Pulisic's.  If he can turn his potential into results in the same way...  well, it'll be fun to argue who is the best player in 4-5 years or so.
Can't wait for the next World Cup.  Having Reyna, Dest, Adams and CP all healthy and contributing has the potential to almost make up for freakin' T&T.

I dont see Gio being better than CP in a "couple of years" Gio will still have growing to do at that point.

Its certainly possible say 3-5  years from now. But its certainly not a given. CP has a ton ofo ability and he's producing at a high level for a big club.

I dont see Gio being better than CP in a "couple of years" Gio will still have growing to do at that point.

Its certainly possible say 3-5  years from now. But its certainly not a given. CP has a ton ofo ability and he's producing at a high level for a big club.
Most prolific American big club performer since????

Not Dempsey, Not Landon

And he's only 21.

In 11/12, Dempsey scored 17 goals in 37 EPL games for Fulham. (plus 3 in the Europa league and 3 in cup games). Obviously Fulham aren't/weren't a "big club" on the level of Chelsea but 23 goals for a mid-table english side is pretty impressive.

I'm not getting your point.

Gio's 17- the same age CP was when he first got 1st team minutes. the kid has shown world class ability for the US youth for as long as I've been watching him... albeit stuff done in a slightly different, more direct way than a smaller and shiftier CP. tbh,  watching him for the yutes I've always thought that Gio's game translates better to grown up game... and nothing I've seen from him for Dortmund has told me otherwise; like CP, he's playing like he belongs. in a couple of years... I hope he'll still be growing as a player, but nothings shown me that he can't follow the same or maybe even better track than CP... unless he has some unforeseen injury or completely loses the plot from a personal/emotional/professional standpoint. why will he still have growing to do? how do you know this? what stocks should I buy for then?

I'm not getting your point.

Gio's 17- the same age CP was when he first got 1st team minutes. the kid has shown world class ability for the US youth for as long as I've been watching him... albeit stuff done in a slightly different, more direct way than a smaller and shiftier CP. tbh,  watching him for the yutes I've always thought that Gio's game translates better to grown up game... and nothing I've seen from him for Dortmund has told me otherwise; like CP, he's playing like he belongs. in a couple of years... I hope he'll still be growing as a player, but nothings shown me that he can't follow the same or maybe even better track than CP... unless he has some unforeseen injury or completely loses the plot from a personal/emotional/professional standpoint. why will he still have growing to do? how do you know this? what stocks should I buy for then?

I'm just saying that Gio may not necessarily be at the peak of his powers before his 20th birthday. He'll undoubtedly get better,  perhaps even passing CP during that time. But if I was a betting man, I'd bet that 23 year old Pulisic will be still better than 19 year old Reyna (which I THINK was the point of BassNBrew's post that I originally quoted). 

Renya may pass him eventually, but not in 2 years (IMO).  At this point, I'm more concerned about them getting games together over the next 2 years (in preparation for Qatar) than which one is better. Because the way CP is tracking right now.....if Gio is BETTER....we're going to be REALLY dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reyna is going to be better. 

He just has a smoothness to him that Pulisic does not have. Pulisic has to work so hard for everything he gets and every position he ends up in.

Reyna is just THERE....his movements are just so effortless to me. And at that age.....whoa....

ChiefD said:
Reyna is going to be better. 

He just has a smoothness to him that Pulisic does not have. Pulisic has to work so hard for everything he gets and every position he ends up in.

Reyna is just THERE....his movements are just so effortless to me. And at that age.....whoa....
I don't know their relative size to each other, but to my eyes Reyna is the more powerful/explosive, and CP more shifty. Reyna also has more of that Deuce- #### you, this is my goal/game/field attitude going forward. Not always the best solution in a team sense, but the higher upside imo if he can make it work.

Yankee me wankee, euro...

Fulham’s return to EFL Championship play didn’t go the way Tim Ream and his teammates would have liked after a 2-0 derby loss to Brentford. This weekend’s trip to second-place Leeds United poses a different test, but it is a must-win for the London club to remain in the hunt for automatic promotion.

Ream started and played 90 minutes last weekend for Scott Parker’s side, but couldn’t help them avoid defeat. The 32-year-old veteran has been a mainstay in the London club’s backline and will need to be exceptional to help Fulham pull the upset at Elland Road. Fulham defeated Leeds, 2-1, at Craven Cottage back in November and has won the last two overall in the head-to-head matchup. Sitting seven points behind Leeds for the final automatic promotion spot, Fulham needs a win to have any chance of jumping right back into the English Premier League.

Elsewhere, Josh Sargent and Werder Bremen take on Cologne knowing anything but a win will see them relegated to the 2. Bundesliga. Alfredo Morales and Fortuna Dusseldorf face Union Berlin needing only a draw to avoid automatic relegation. Christian Pulisic and Chelsea take on Leicester City in FA Cup play while DeAndre Yedlin and Newcastle United host Manchester City. John Brooks and Wolfsburg host Bayern Munich to end their Bundesliga season, already clinching a spot in next season’s Europa League. Giovanni Reyna and Borussia Dortmund welcome Hoffenheim to Signal Iduna Park in their last league match of the season.

Here’s a closer look at this weekend’s Americans Abroad:

England

FA CUp

Christian Pulisic and Chelsea face Leicester City on Sunday.

DeAndre Yedlin and Newcastle United face Manchester City on Sunday.

premier league

Indiana Vassilev and Aston Villa face Owen Otasowie and Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.

Championship

Tim Ream, Luca De La Torre and Fulham face Leeds United on Saturday.

Duane Holmes and Derby County face Matt Miazga and Reading on Saturday.

Antonee Robinson and Wigan Athletic face Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.

Cameron Carter-Vickers and Luton Town face Swansea City on Saturday.

Geoff Cameron and QPR face Charlton Athletic on Saturday.

Eric Lichaj is OUT OF CONTRACT with Hull City.

Germany

Bundesliga

Weston McKennie and Schalke face Freiburg on Saturday.

John Brooks, Ulysses Llanez and Wolfsburg face Bayern Munich on Saturday.

Tyler Adams and RB Leipzig face Augsburg on Saturday.

Giovanni Reyna and Borussia Dortmund face Hoffenheim on Saturday.

Josh Sargent and Werder Bremen face Cologne on Saturday.

Timmy Chandler and Eintracht Frankfurt face Paderborn on Saturday.

Alfredo Morales and Fortuna Dusseldorf face Union Berlin on Saturday.

Zack Steffen is OUT (Fitness) for Fortuna Dusseldorf.

Fabian Johnson is OUT (Injury) for Borussia Monchengladbach.

2. Bundesliga

Julian Green, Timothy Tillman and Greuther Furth face Karlsruher on Sunday.

Bobby Wood and Hamburg face Sandhausen on Sunday.

Sebastian Soto and Hannover face Bochum on Sunday.

3. Liga

Chris Richards, Malik Tillman, Taylor Booth and Bayern Munich II face Carl Zeiss Jena on Saturday.

Terrence Boyd and Hallescher face Duisberg on Saturday.

McKinze Gaines and Sonnenhof Grobaspach face Magdeburg on Sunday.

Spain

Segunda Liga

Shaq Moore and Tenerife face Cadiz on Saturday.

Italy

Serie B

Andrija Novakovich and Frosinone face Cittadella on Friday.

Austria

Bundesliga

Erik Palmer-Brown and Austria Wien face SKN. St Poelten on Saturday.

Jesse Marsch and Red Bull Salzburg face Hartberg on Sunday.

Turkey

Super Lig

Tyler Boyd and Besiktas face Konyaspor on Friday.

Denmark

Superliagen

Emmanuel Sabbi, Christian Cappis, Loucious Don Deedson, Yosef Samuel and Hobro face Esbjerg on Sunday.

Michael Lansing and Horsens face Randers on Sunday.

Jonathan Amon is OUT FOR SEASON (Injury) for Nordsjaelland.

Greece

Super League

Gboly Ariyibi and Panetolikos face Asteras Tripolis on Sunday.

Poland

Ekstraklasa

Kenny Saief and Lechia Gdansk face Jagielonia Bialystok on Sunday.

Ben Lederman and Rakow Czestochowa face Arka Gdynia on Friday.

Sweden

Allsvenskan

Aron Johannsson and Hammarby face Mjallby on Sunday.

Mix Diskerud and Helsingborg face Hacken on Monday.

Norway

Eliteserien

Romain Gall and Stabaek face Molde on Sunday.

Switzerland

Super League

Jonathan Klinsmann and St. Gallen face Thun on Sunday.

Sarge with a goal in WBs blowout win today. 

ETA...my browser hadn't refreshed...thanks, Ned!

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Konrad stays at Barca...

United States youth international Konrad de la Fuente has signed a new contract with Barcelona, committing his future to the Spanish champions until 2022.

De la Fuente's new terms include a €50 million release clause that will rise to €100m if he is promoted to the first team before the expiration of the deal.

He will form part of the club's B team next season, who are playing in the third tier of Spanish football but could be promoted to the second division later this summer.

They are preparing for the playoffs, which take place in July across several locations in the south of Spain. De la Fuente, who started the season with the under-19s, is already part of the squad.

Barca had to work hard to convince the young winger to stay at Camp Nou after a number of clubs showed an interest in him with his contract set to expire this summer.

De la Fuente, 18, looked set to move to German side Hertha Berlin in December, but Barca managed to persuade him that he would get chances to progress at the Catalan club.

The Miami native moved to Barcelona with his parents when he was 10 and was incorporated into Barca's La Masia academy in 2014.

He has since progressed through the youth teams and has already made five appearances for the B team. He scored the winning goal in February in a 2-1 win against AE Prat.

His development has seen him called up to train with the first team on occasions, where he has brushed shoulders with six-time world player of the year Lionel Messi.

"It's not that I'm used to [seeing Messi now] but I still get a little starstruck [when I see him]," De la Fuente told ESPN in April.

"The first time I trained with the first team, I got into the locker room and I turned to go into it and run into someone. And I looked and I see it's Messi.

"I said, 'Hi,' and shook his hand and everything. And then as I walked past him I said, 'Oh my God, I just [ran into] Messi.' But there was just that moment and that's it. And then it was just normal."

De la Fuente has represented the U.S. youth teams since under-16 level. He was part of the side that reached the quarterfinals of the U20 World Cup in 2019, beating France in the round of 16 before losing to Ecuador.

He has set his sights on not only making the senior squad in the future, but forming part of a generation that can lead the country to World Cup success.

"My goal with the national team is to win a World Cup," he said in April. "That's my personal goal. Everyone has their own, and for me, it's to win a World Cup.

"I definitely think it can happen. If we continue to grow in our clubs in Europe, I think we can do something special."

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
This schedule is crazy. Every third day for the next 3 games. He’ll need a rest at some point. That’s the game we’ll hear again about what an idiot Frank Lampard is.  

I didn't realize how closely wolves were nipping at chels heels for 4th. Will be interesting to see how Lamps prioritizes upcoming FA cup games with league and how CP will feature (hoping he's uninjured)

CletiusMaximus said:
This schedule is crazy. Every third day for the next 3 games. He’ll need a rest at some point. That’s the game we’ll hear again about what an idiot Frank Lampard is.  

Hard to argue Lampard  hasn’t been an idiot when Pulisic has been the motm his last two starts. 

Hard to argue Lampard  hasn’t been an idiot when Pulisic has been the motm his last two starts. 
The last few games Pulisic has looked like one of the best players in England.  He certainly didn't look like that earlier this year.  Whatever Frank has been doing to motivate/teach/inspire Pulisic has worked.  I'm willing to give him some leeway on the playing time for now.

The last few games Pulisic has looked like one of the best players in England.  He certainly didn't look like that earlier this year.  Whatever Frank has been doing to motivate/teach/inspire Pulisic has worked.  I'm willing to give him some leeway on the playing time for now.
I'm not giving Lampard credit here.

You think he should start every game and not get rest? Just trying to figure out what the issue is.
He should get the same rest as the other superstars...Lampard wasn't giving him enough run pre-pandemic.  I thought this was pretty well documented/understood? 

Meanwhile, Gilmour was the worst player on the pitch today and the English media coverage is practically proclaiming him the next Pele. 

Clear anti-American bias as far as I can tell.

He should get the same rest as the other superstars...Lampard wasn't giving him enough run pre-pandemic.  I thought this was pretty well documented/understood?   
He played in every game from mid October up until his injury on January 1st.  He started most of them.  I know he didn't play a ton to start the season, but he had basically zero break last summer and was "being eased in" according to Lampard.  I know it made a lot of Americans upset(including myself), but it looked like the correct decision in November and December when Christian started shining for Chelsea.

As for not starting the first game back?  I don't know.  None of us know what the players looked like in training and RLC did score 3 goals in the two friendlies they played.  Maybe he trained so much better than Christian that Frank was forced to find a spot for him?  Christian was the first sub off the bench in that game, so it's not like he was frozen out.

In a team like Chelsea, even the best players aren't going to start every game.  :shrug:

I know odds are slim but I’m rooting for him to break into the sr team. 

that’s a fairly large release clause. 🤔
That jumped out at me too.

Cool he's playing for the Bs, tbh. But yeah- breaking into Sr team in any way would be insane. I still am not sure what his preferred or best position is. Anybody? Andy?

He played in every game from mid October up until his injury on January 1st.  He started most of them.  I know he didn't play a ton to start the season, but he had basically zero break last summer and was "being eased in" according to Lampard.  I know it made a lot of Americans upset(including myself), but it looked like the correct decision in November and December when Christian started shining for Chelsea.

As for not starting the first game back?  I don't know.  None of us know what the players looked like in training and RLC did score 3 goals in the two friendlies they played.  Maybe he trained so much better than Christian that Frank was forced to find a spot for him?  Christian was the first sub off the bench in that game, so it's not like he was frozen out.

In a team like Chelsea, even the best players aren't going to start every game.  :shrug:
What encaitar said.

I'm sure I was nervous about him not seeing a bunch of time early on, but iirc it was Cletius who pointed out that it was long full season and CP would get his chance once he settled in....wise and portentous words. It's not like CP hasn't played and we're all sitting here regretting his move to an EPL CL team chock full o' stars that are keeping him off the field. He's pushed his way in and has shown he not only belongs, but can be relied on as a key offensive threat. Only issue I personally have with lamps is his inability to get the most out of Kanye, not his handling of CP.

That jumped out at me too.

Cool he's playing for the Bs, tbh. But yeah- breaking into Sr team in any way would be insane. I still am not sure what his preferred or best position is. Anybody? Andy?
Anybody here have a strong opinion what the caliber of competition is for Barca's B team ?  

Is that the equivalent of the MLS competition wise or lower?

What encaitar said.

I'm sure I was nervous about him not seeing a bunch of time early on, but iirc it was Cletius who pointed out that it was long full season and CP would get his chance once he settled in....wise and portentous words. It's not like CP hasn't played and we're all sitting here regretting his move to an EPL CL team chock full o' stars that are keeping him off the field. He's pushed his way in and has shown he not only belongs, but can be relied on as a key offensive threat. Only issue I personally have with lamps is his inability to get the most out of Kanye, not his handling of CP.
That's fair.  I may just need to get over my Lampard hatred.

Anybody here have a strong opinion what the caliber of competition is for Barca's B team ?  

Is that the equivalent of the MLS competition wise or lower?
Lower.
It's Spanish 3rd division..although they're in the running to get promoted to 2nd I think. Lower overall competition for league I'd imagine, but higher in-team at a guess, especially when/if they train with the first team.

FC Heidenheim has been confirmed as Bremen’s opponent for July’s two-legged playoff after clinching third place in the 2. Bundesliga on Sunday. It will be a tough test for Bremen, who waited until the final match of the league season to put in their best performance overall.

Sargent ended the season w 4 league goals and 4 assists in 28 appearances. Not exactly setting the world on fire with those stats, but enough to keep getting playing time, where imo his off the ball work helps.

Sargent ended the season w 4 league goals and 4 assists in 28 appearances. Not exactly setting the world on fire with those stats, but enough to keep getting playing time, where imo his off the ball work helps.
That's a lot of good experience if anything.  I think he has limitations but he'd be a great guy to have on the bench this cycle with that kind of club experience.

Users who are viewing this thread