What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (8 Viewers)

The following is not related to your post but it was an interesting line up/tactic suggestion I watched on youtube yesterday.   Typically many of us when we do our lineup, we spread our skilled players out, hoping that it will be harder for the opposition to contain multiple spots.

But the video laid out an interesting case for putting Reyna, Pulisic and Dest all on the same side of the field and allowing them to interchange and overload one side of the defense.

I can see some merit in this.   The US does not possess a plethora of technically proficient players so keeping the good feet together on one side might see better close interchange happening, and then leave the work horses like Morris, Swag and Cannon on the other side of the pitch.

Of course the flip side of this is Dest is going to get caught up field constantly (and he does not possess Yedlin's recovery speed), and Pulisic is not going to provide any useful cover.  It may fall to Adams to constantly have to clean up which can get dicey during the games when we can't seem to score.
fwiw- I'm ok with relying on Adams or Swag to provide cover. 

I'd assume teams would overload their side defensively and dare/force the US to attack through Morris and Cannon.

still hoping Weah finds his legs and can fit in there.

an aside- just looked up my "future of US soccer" player based on his u15 days... Haji is out of contract in the Eredivisie after another disappointing season, where he at least got plenty of PT including somewhat regular starts as a winger. article I saw referenced his teammates disappointment with his ball skills, decision making and runs.... which all sounds right. he'll likely hook up with a lower division team somewhere over there and hopefully find some professional growth. he's a big fella at 6'-3" and dammit he flashes some ability, even still as a pro (he crushed it as a kid)... so finger's crossed.

speaking of future of US soccer... saw that Ben Lederman got a start recently in Poland. I think he's still 13. or maybe 30. no idea. 

I enjoyed this post, not only the line up but the creativity in your thought process.  Thank you for sharing.

Here are my comments:

1) The back 4 would be my identical back 4 (with the small nit pick that Brooks and Long have to swap spots, Brooks is LCB by trade).

2) I really like the addition of Miazga at the 6 and your reasoning.   I also think Miazga has the short passing skills needed for this spot.  Unfortunately I think GGG over values players who can play the long diagonal ball from this spot, which is why he seems to be enamored with Jackson Yueill so far and I don't think long passing is Miazga's strong suit.

3) Reyna as a 9 is a very interesting choice.  I think he would have to function though as a false 9 where he actually drops in between and behind Pulisic and Morris.  I can't rate how he would play as a classic 9 because I don't think he has ever played that spot.

===============

The following is not related to your post but it was an interesting line up/tactic suggestion I watched on youtube yesterday.   Typically many of us when we do our lineup, we spread our skilled players out, hoping that it will be harder for the opposition to contain multiple spots.

But the video laid out an interesting case for putting Reyna, Pulisic and Dest all on the same side of the field and allowing them to interchange and overload one side of the defense.

I can actually seem some merit in this.   The US does not possess a plethora of technically proficient players so keeping the good feet together on one side might see better close interchange happening, and then leave the work horses like Morris, Swag and Cannon on the other side of the pitch.

Of course the flip side of this is Dest is going to get caught up field constantly (and he does not possess Yedlin's recovery speed), and Pulisic is not going to provide any useful cover.  It may fall to Adams to constantly have to clean up which can get dicey during the games when we can't seem to score.
Thanks for the feedback.  When it comes to soccer, I can only think out of the box as I am still really new and still learning the details, like the example with Brooks and Long.  On the flip side, I'm not burdened with letting real, conventional tactics cloud my thought process; I'd like to think that this is also how Total Football was created, which would put me in some pretty epic company.

I put Miazga out there because in my mind he's like a John Terry/Sergio Ramos "enforcer" who will do the dirty work, which there will be plenty of when we get to CONCACAF matches. 

As for the tactical video you watched, I like it, because what opponents think will be a weakness can be a strength, for the very reason that's mentioned--they're workhorses. Also, though, what seems to be missing is a distributor, which I guess is what the 9 is supposed to do? Anyway, I think one of Swag's most undervalued talents is his passing, and I think he could slide into Bradley's spot, so that a more 'traditional' lineup could look like:

GK--Steffen

Cannon                                Long                                                                              Brooks                                                                     Dest

Adams                                                                           Swag                                                                                                                     ***

Pulisic                                                                            Reyna                                                                                                              Morris (I like his toughness and work rate)

I'm not sure what MFs we have coming down the pipe, but if Cannon and Dest both can be offensive threats, you can put a more defensive minded MF there who doesn't have be as much of an offensive threat into the open MF spot.  A Nagbe-type wouldn't be bad, but would definitely have to be a little stronger on defense. I'd even say give Lima a shot there; he's got a good motor and seemed pretty confident whenever I've seen him.  Maybe he could be a poor man's Adams. At the very least you'd have two faster players to cover a quick counter. Plus, with two wide MFs with motors, Swag can push up more and distribute, Reyna, CP and Morris can all at least go at defenders without immediately passing back, and Cannon and Dest provide a secondary attack.  As for the long diagonal passes Berhalter wants, I think Swag will surprise a lot of people if given the chance.

I can see some merit in this.   The US does not possess a plethora of technically proficient players so keeping the good feet together on one side might see better close interchange happening, and then leave the work horses like Morris, Swag and Cannon on the other side of the pitch.

I agree with this take right here.  I think #1...  Pulisic is our best player.  To play him out of his natural position at LW is not wise.  #2...  Gio offers us the most as a 10.  His quick thinking and fine dribbling ability, along with his passing talent would help Pulisic out immensely, especially as they interchange.... and I love the idea of Gio finding Pulisic making those classic runs into the box that's he's become so adept at.  #3.  Pulisic is mostly an inverted winger at this point.  He is almost always looking to go inside if he can, so having a playmaker like Dest fill in behind him when he cuts in is perfect.

I think it makes us the most dangerous, especially if we can get Jozy healthy and use his above average link up ability with this.  It also will cause the defense to focus on our left and with a speedster like Morris on the RW we could find some breakaways over there IMO.

Here are two American coaching items I may have missed that were discussed.

*Jesse Marsch won the double in Austria, becoming the first US coach to not only win one but two trophies in Europe.

*Pellegrino Matarazzo led Stuggart back to the Bundesliga by placing second this year in Bundie 2

for those who don't know about Matarazzo, he was born and raised in New Jersey.  He went to Columbia University where he played.  He was brought on to trial for the Red Bulls after graduation but did not make the squad.  He went to play in the lower regions in Germany just to stay in the game.  In his last contract, instead of asking for meager money, he asked courses in coaching.

He started at the bottom of FC Nurnburg setup,  starting as a fitness coach for the youth teams.  He kept grinding and grinding and eventually clawed his way up to being the U19 coach, which I think doubles at Nurnberg 2.  He then took over the U17's at Hoffenheim and became as assistent coach at the main club.

When Stuggart unexpectedly fired their coach in December, they hired Matarazzo.

Now at 42 he will be managing in the Bundesliga next season.  Pretty cool story :)

===================================

@El Floppo did you have any knowledge of this guy via your Columbia connections?

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely.  Ned finally got something right.

Hey - side topic, how is soccer going for your boys.  I haven't seen an update in a while or missed it.
Spoiler for those that don’t care to read about other people’s kids 😂

Youngest still on the outside looking in at Union academy. They keep tabs but I doubt he gets a look any time soon as he moves into the full 11v11. They trim the numbers way down once they hit the U13 age. 

He’s playing in ECNL this fall - great league, but will be a notch below the MLS league he played in last season. That’s where they belong honestly. It’s still amazing to me how good those MLS academy teams are.  Our club’s U12 and U11 teams will get to participate in that MLS league.  They’re in for a treat 😂

Union’s academy staff has had some turnover as Tanner brings in more of his own guys from Germany. One of the ousted coaches will be coaching my oldest son’s team. Pretty cool to have that caliber of coaching for a B team. [\spoiler]

There it is.

Anyways...andy- I knew the matarazzo name just by following the team lightly over the years. But had no idea (or likely, completely forgot) about the Germany coaching. Great story...maybe Rocco will hire another alum over at Napoli.

Pulisic looks very lively again.  Good to see him shake off the Concacaf foul he received.

Of course the big difference here is that he drew a yellow for the foul where in Concacaf the ref just says "play on"....

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Pulisic looks very lively again.  Good to see him shake off the Concacaf foul he received.

Of course the big difference here is that he drew a yellow for the foul where in Concacaf the ref just says "play on"....
First thing I thought when I saw that. He just got CONCACAF’ed. :X  

Pulisic looked tired today. Not sharp at all.
I don't like that he was an early sub.  I don't understand how after watching the last 4 games how anyone could pull him off as the first sub in the game?  It doesn't make sense to me unless you're waving a white flag at that point.

I don't like that he was an early sub.  I don't understand how after watching the last 4 games how anyone could pull him off as the first sub in the game?  It doesn't make sense to me unless you're waving a white flag at that point.
He was the 3rd sub for Chelsea I believe.  They made two subs at half time.

Still your general point stands.

He was the 3rd sub for Chelsea I believe.  They made two subs at half time.

Still your general point stands.
I didn't get to start watching until halftime and then saw him subbed off.  Didn't make any sense as Tammy Abraham was absolutely horrendous.  Might be the worst game I've see a striker play in the EPL.   And then Lampard subs on a striker for Pulisic instead of Tammy.

How’d Bello look last night @AAABatteries?
Pretty good.  He was able to get a couple of decent crosses in and his speed looked good.  Hit was unlucky as he hit the crossbar - keeper had little chance.  You could argue he was partly responsible on the goal but only because he was somewhat close - they were in a back 3 and left sided CB was nowhere to be found.  Hopefully, FDB continues to start him.  He went 72’ and was subbed - lots of guys cramping up in that heat.

ETA - Pity and Guzan were the best players for AU last night but Bello may have been 3rd.

https://twitter.com/ATLUTD/status/1282125846594162688?s=20

Pretty good.  He was able to get a couple of decent crosses in and his speed looked good.  Hit was unlucky as he hit the crossbar - keeper had little chance.  You could argue he was partly responsible on the goal but only because he was somewhat close - they were in a back 3 and left sided CB was nowhere to be found.  Hopefully, FDB continues to start him.  He went 72’ and was subbed - lots of guys cramping up in that heat.

ETA - Pity and Guzan were the best players for AU last night but Bello may have been 3rd.

https://twitter.com/ATLUTD/status/1282125846594162688?s=20
Yeah, I really like his game. We watched about half the game before that late start finally put me to bed. :lol:

That ball he shot was a crusher. I think with a little more experience there he just tries and slots that in. But he was trying to make a statement on that one. What a bomb.

Yeah, I really like his game. We watched about half the game before that late start finally put me to bed. :lol:

That ball he shot was a crusher. I think with a little more experience there he just tries and slots that in. But he was trying to make a statement on that one. What a bomb.
He’s a little naive defensively so I like him on the left wing and think that suites his skills atm.  I’m excited to watch him develop.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Here are two American coaching items I may have missed that were discussed.

*Jesse Marsch won the double in Austria, becoming the first US coach to not only win one but two trophies in Europe.

*Pellegrino Matarazzo led Stuggart back to the Bundesliga by placing second this year in Bundie 2

for those who don't know about Matarazzo, he was born and raised in New Jersey.  He went to Columbia University where he played.  He was brought on to trial for the Red Bulls after graduation but did not make the squad.  He went to play in the lower regions in Germany just to stay in the game.  In his last contract, instead of asking for meager money, he asked courses in coaching.

He started at the bottom of FC Nurnburg setup,  starting as a fitness coach for the youth teams.  He kept grinding and grinding and eventually clawed his way up to being the U19 coach, which I think doubles at Nurnberg 2.  He then took over the U17's at Hoffenheim and became as assistent coach at the main club.

When Stuggart unexpectedly fired their coach in December, they hired Matarazzo.

Now at 42 he will be managing in the Bundesliga next season.  Pretty cool story :)

===================================

@El Floppo did you have any knowledge of this guy via your Columbia connections?
For those interested in a longer article about Matarazzo's tactics at Stuttgart... here is a really good article:  https://www.leftbackfootball.com/home/2020/7/10/pellegrino-matarazzos-engrossing-stuttgart

Saw this on Reddit:

In 1995 Matarazzo, playing for Columbia, defeated a Princeton team featuring Jesse Marsch and coached by Bob Bradley

Will finish reading it later, but the article starts with some wrong info- Columbia, and the all Ivies, don't give sports scholarships.
That may have bee true back then but I don't know if it true today.  The following is right from Columbia's own web site:

=======================================

Scholarships may be awarded for academic or athletic ability, interest in a certain subject, or volunteer work. Some scholarships may be given based on membership in an ethnic or religious group. Companies may also award scholarships to you or your child. 

NewlyRetired said:
That may have bee true back then but I don't know if it true today.  The following is right from Columbia's own web site:

Scholarships may be awarded for academic or athletic ability, interest in a certain subject, or volunteer work. Some scholarships may be given based on membership in an ethnic or religious group. Companies may also award scholarships to you or your child. 
Wow...that's definitely news to me. Was a big factor for why the Ivies could only compete nationally in niche sports.

NewlyRetired said:
Saw this on Reddit:

In 1995 Matarazzo, playing for Columbia, defeated a Princeton team featuring Jesse Marsch and coached by Bob Bradley
Crazy!.

I know I've mentioned playing against Bradley's Princeton sides iirc early in his time there. They didn't have the horses to compete until my senior year, but they were always the most impressively organized team we'd face, and could compete that way in spite of lack of talented players. Kinda regretted at the time not having tried to go there- they even have a nice undergrad architecture program...plus Brooks Shields was still there.

NewlyRetired said:

Just googled to see when this had changed...fwiw...

Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution's Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League.
Eta... Sounds like the amount of resources given to students has increased, allowing them to offer significant amounts to student athletes who otherwise wouldn't have been able to attend. I do wonder if this has affected their academic enrollment standards... I knew some really poor students who went to Stanford and Duke purely based on their athletics. In my days at CU, it seemed like it would help athletes gain admissions, but not at the same level. 

Ivy League offers 100% merit-based financial aid

Over the last few years, the eight Ivy League schools, which don’t offer scholarships, have instituted massive financial aid reform, opening its doors to students who could never have afforded to attend previously.
The sweeping reform has nearly doubled the size of grants and almost eliminated the need for student loans for middle-income families.
This giant increase in financial aid has changed the game for student-athletes, who can now receive an Ivy League education for free if their parents make under $65,000 per year.
Additionally, families making $65,000 to $180,000 are only expected to pay a small portion of their yearly income, no more than 18 percent.
The University of Pennsylvania’s athletic director, Steve Bilsky, believes Ivy League schools can compete with Division I programs for premier talent, telling the New York Times:

“We’re seeing a significant change in the caliber of student-athlete. It’s not even the same population because the pool has widened. We see a considerable number of student-athletes turning down athletic scholarships from places like Stanford, Northwestern or Duke to come to Penn.”

Does the SEC need to worry about the Ivy League?

Harvard’s $37.6 billion endowment makes it richer than some countries. So what’s to stop its board and president from buying national titles, like the New York Yankees in baseball?
Well, for starters, Harvard deals with student-athletes, not professional athletes, and it still values and emphasizes the student part with the highest admission standards.
Also, most Ivy League presidents wield complete authority over their athletic departments and they don’t seem ready to transform their schools into athlete factories. For example, former Brown president, Ruth Simmons, cut the number of recruited athletes by 20 during her tenure.
The Ivy League may not be ready to compete for national titles in football and basketball, but with its generous financial age packages, it’s now a real player in college sports.

:popcorn:

Bayern & Germany

Several Bundesliga teams are interested in Chris Richards. Richards even has a concrete offer. With Lukas Mai also leaving on loan, Bayern must decide whether to let two defenders go in the same window [Kicker]

Users who are viewing this thread