What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (13 Viewers)

If there is a coaching change, I don't think the board will just look at the usual candidates out of the US coaching tree.

I've read that Bielsa is taking the Uruguay job, but it wouldn't shock me to see the US take a run at him. I'd also think they might be looking for someone with a decent European club track record who may be stagnating right now. Someone like Brendan Rogers or Max Allegri. Maybe even someone like Patrick Vieri, who has MLS experience and is kind of a mid-table EPL manager.

If LVG makes another deep run with the Dutch, it wouldn't shock me to see the US make a big run at him with a can't refuse offer. He's really made for the international game, where the lighter workload lets him hyper focus on tactics on a game by game basis.
Big Sam?
Don't get me all worked up. My wife doesn't like me very much right now.

I need to re watch but my feeling while watching was super disappointed in what Gio brought in the 2nd half. Jogged around …didn’t make runs into the box when we had possession in the attacking 3rd. I did see a few what if attempts to creatively flick the ball through traffic but way way less of a threat than Pulisic Weah Aaronson
Between what he's done in the past and all the clamoring for him to play, I was expecting more and was hoping he'd take over the game. Big difference between the the Dutch and a Concacaf minnow.

If there is a coaching change, I don't think the board will just look at the usual candidates out of the US coaching tree.

I've read that Bielsa is taking the Uruguay job, but it wouldn't shock me to see the US take a run at him. I'd also think they might be looking for someone with a decent European club track record who may be stagnating right now. Someone like Brendan Rogers or Max Allegri. Maybe even someone like Patrick Vieri, who has MLS experience and is kind of a mid-table EPL manager.

If LVG makes another deep run with the Dutch, it wouldn't shock me to see the US make a big run at him with a can't refuse offer. He's really made for the international game, where the lighter workload lets him hyper focus on tactics on a game by game basis.

Big Sam?
What’s that sound!

I'd also accept David Moyes if only for the aneurysms it would cause among American Man United fans.
I mean Tuchel has some free time on his hands….the sense I get though is that these positions are really for the late career geniuses who see the guys enough to know they’re strengths and weaknesses and are strong enough to integrate a bunch of egos. Like I said, I don’t really know who that is besides to say I don’t really think there is an American coach today that fits that satisfies all those criteria.

I'd also accept David Moyes if only for the aneurysms it would cause among American Man United fans.
I mean Tuchel has some free time on his hands….the sense I get though is that these positions are really for the late career geniuses who see the guys enough to know they’re strengths and weaknesses and are strong enough to integrate a bunch of egos. Like I said, I don’t really know who that is besides to say I don’t really think there is an American coach today that fits that satisfies all those criteria.
Carlo Ancelloti would be a dream candidate. But I think he really loves living in Vancouver in the offseason. So maybe Herdman should watch his back.

I need to re watch but my feeling while watching was super disappointed in what Gio brought in the 2nd half. Jogged around …didn’t make runs into the box when we had possession in the attacking 3rd. I did see a few what if attempts to creatively flick the ball through traffic but way way less of a threat than Pulisic Weah Aaronson
I really had issues with how Gio played overall. He's young but he plays small.

I can't speak to foreign candidates since the list would be WAAAY too long, but I feel a very high level of confidence that the following 4 American names are on a white board some where, deciding if they (Stewart and McBride) should move to an interview stage or not with any of them.

Steve Cherundolo
Jim Curtain
Jesse Marsch
Hugo Perez

of the 4, I do not think the fan base will accept Curtain. He will be seen as GGG 2.0. I think the other 3 would be given at least an initial chance before every one tried to bury them.

I don’t want Curtin to get this job either because I think he deserves better than this job. If he can’t stay I want him to follow the Marsch path to Europe.

He probably won't even be interviewed but your definition of a better job must be different than mine.

The combination of much higher pay than he would get any where in Europe as a first time coach and a virtual 3.5 years guaranteed contract, where as in Europe, you lose 3 games and you could be sacked, would make the US job extremely tough to beat IMO.

I felt the same way actually.

I expected him to come in with some fire and anger ready to prove a point. I don't think he made one dangerous pass or dribble in his entire time in the game.

Most of us would say that we think he's got the most potential of all our attackers, but watching today's game, it's obvious he's nowhere near Pulisic's level yet.

Gio had a decent game. He wasn't great and didn't have a magic moment or anything but he definitely wasn't bad. He did lead the team in Key Passes, Passes completed into final 3rd, and Crosses Completed. He played a half and had 0.16 xA which is very respectable. Full game equates to 0.32 and for reference, Pulisic's career number is 0.17 per 90 and he had 0.52 today.

He did walk a lot and it can be frustrating that he picks and chooses when to press. But he was very active overall. Reyna had more touches than any attacking player other than Pulisic and he only played 45. In all those touches, he was dispossessed just once (CP had 57 touches and was dispossessed 3 times).

Not sure what you saw with Weah or Aaronson but Gio had 40 touches in 45 minutes while Aaronson and Weah combined for 46 in 90 and the two of them combined for 0.08 xA in their 90 combined minutes. They were two of the more disappointing players to me today.

Gio had a decent game. He wasn't great and didn't have a magic moment or anything but he definitely wasn't bad. He did lead the team in Key Passes, Passes completed into final 3rd, and Crosses Completed. He played a half and had 0.16 xA which is very respectable. Full game equates to 0.32 and for reference, Pulisic's career number is 0.17 per 90 and he had 0.52 today.

He did walk a lot and it can be frustrating that he picks and chooses when to press. But he was very active overall. Reyna had more touches than any attacking player other than Pulisic and he only played 45. In all those touches, he was dispossessed just once (CP had 57 touches and was dispossessed 3 times).

Not sure what you saw with Weah or Aaronson but Gio had 40 touches in 45 minutes while Aaronson and Weah combined for 46 in 90 and the two of them combined for 0.08 xA in their 90 combined minutes. They were two of the more disappointing players to me today.

I don't want to say he played badly, because he didn't but thinking about all the players who I thought were going to log minutes (I am ignoring the fringe players), I think Aaronson had the least effect on games as to what my pre WC expectations were. He just never got into the flow as a sub.

I think Weston likely had less of an effect than he would have had if he was not carrying the quad injury but he still had some good moments.

I don't want to say he played badly, because he didn't but thinking about all the players who I thought were going to log minutes (I am ignoring the fringe players), I think Aaronson had the least effect on games as to what my pre WC expectations were. He just never got into the flow as a sub.
I think playing as an 8 really hurts him. He's much more effective higher up the pitch.

I thought Gio made a lot happen. Wasn’t earth-shattering, but he has a poise and confidence over the ball that is only better with CP. they don’t panic when they have a guy right on them. He should have played more.

Pretty good showing. It’s over so there is a mourning period, but I would’ve taken this result at the start. Lot to look forward to.

I feel ambivalent at the moment.

I don't think this WC was anything close to a failure, nor do I think it is anything close to a success.

Strange middle ground I find myself in....
To me they did what I expected them to. Get out of the group. So overall a success but did not outperform expectations. Hopefully we can build on this and make a run to the quarters next time.

I can't speak to foreign candidates since the list would be WAAAY too long, but I feel a very high level of confidence that the following 4 American names are on a white board some where, deciding if they (Stewart and McBride) should move to an interview stage or not with any of them.

Steve Cherundolo
Jim Curtain
Jesse Marsch
Hugo Perez

of the 4, I do not think the fan base will accept Curtain. He will be seen as GGG 2.0. I think the other 3 would be given at least an initial chance before every one tried to bury them.

I don’t want Curtin to get this job either because I think he deserves better than this job. If he can’t stay I want him to follow the Marsch path to Europe.

He probably won't even be interviewed but your definition of a better job must be different than mine.

The combination of much higher pay than he would get any where in Europe as a first time coach and a virtual 3.5 years guaranteed contract, where as in Europe, you lose 3 games and you could be sacked, would make the US job extremely tough to beat IMO.
People have been killing him since day 1. Just a blood bath for 4 years straight. He got significantly more criticism than he probably deserved (and he deserved plenty over the cycle)

You asked why - this is why. The US fanbase is generally toxic as hell, and Jim Curtin is a tremendously awesome person. I don’t need to see him subjected to 3.5 years of “lol typical MLS coach” BS from clueless “fans” (I’m not talking about the people on here).

Just realized someone I was missing from my way too early, almost certainly wrong projected roster.

Obviously if he picks us.....Balogun as the other forward.

GK- Turner, Slonina, Horvath
FB- Dest. Robinson, Scally, Paredes
CB- Richards, CCV, Eric Palmer Brown, Trusty
MF- Adams, Musah, Weston, Reyna, Tilman, backup 6 TBD
Wings- CP, Weah, Brendan Aaronson,
Forwards- Pepi, Sargent, Balogun

Just realized someone I was missing from my way too early, almost certainly wrong projected roster.

Acosta?

Acosta?

He should still be around at 31 but it would be nice to get an upgrade there if possible. With no qualifying, his set of Concacaf specific skills will be less needed IMO next cycle.

Acosta?

POSSIBLE, but unlikely, IMO. He'll be 30/31 that Summer and he's an MLS lifer at this point. (and that's because he's just not that good).

If they haven't developed a better backup 6 four years from now, something went wrong. There are guys out there that are sub-23 years old right and more talented than he is. James Sands is a possibility. I'm not huge Cardoso fan but he apparently is playing well in Brazil again. The recent U-20 qualfiying roster had a few pretty talented MF's that will have a chance to prove themselves at the Olympics 18 months from now. (and a couple that didn't make it there due to injury/club stuff like Obed Vargas)

Any thoughts on Sr team players that might play in the Olympics? I would think we would want to make an effort there given the lack of qualifying and the WC being next up at home.

Any thoughts on Sr team players that might play in the Olympics? I would think we would want to make an effort there given the lack of qualifying and the WC being next up at home.

Assuming their teams will release them....

Scally seems like an obvious choice. Just 19 years old and hasn't gotten a lot of mins with the senior year (and he's got Dest in front of him, so he's probably blocked for the moment). Plus the fullbacks kinda seemed like the weakspot on the group that qualified.

Gio is obviously eligible but I dont see that happening. With his injury history, I'm guessing Dortmond wouldn't allow it/would STRONGLY oppose it.

Tilman is also eligible. Wouldn't mind that (although the attacking midfield spot was the strongest part of the qualifying roster. Will be interesting to see how loyal they are to those guys)

A pure forward seems likely. Hopefully that would be Pepi and not Jesus (who I dont think will be good enough to be in the mix 4 years from now).

And then there are obviously some age eligible dual nats (Gomez for sure. Also Balogun) if they pick us.

edit: this is obviously just age-eligible players. I wouldn't think any of the older core guys (CP, Adams, Weston) would go as over-age guys, but who knows?? Again....I would think the clubs would be opposed to it.

Last edited:
I think Aaronson had the least effect on games as to what my pre WC expectations were. He just never got into the flow as a sub.
I felt like he showed why he's a wing and not a midfielder -- several times he was just straight outmuscled on 1v1s. He did well on other opportunities with his usual tricksy wabbit stuff, but he's pushed around pretty easily.

I think Aaronson had the least effect on games as to what my pre WC expectations were. He just never got into the flow as a sub.
I felt like he showed why he's a wing and not a midfielder -- several times he was just straight outmuscled on 1v1s. He did well on other opportunities with his usual tricksy wabbit stuff, but he's pushed around pretty easily.
With our setup, he really needs a 9 that occupies the CBs.

While frustrating in “Messi is walking around kind of way”, I thought Reyna was good. He has a sneaky first step/touch which he repeatedly used to get into space…didn’t do much with that space since they were sitting so far back, but he at least recognized how to attack the Dutch which opened up space for others.

If my math is correct, we attempted 22 corners in the WC.

I believe those 22 corners resulted in exactly 1 chance on goal (the one today where Ream just couldn't get a final toe on it).

I think 21 of the 22 corners were relatively identical in terms of the ball being played into the middle of the box.
Irritating. Not sure our free kicks were any better. I can't remember any of consequence.
The frustrating part is that the ineffective chutneys corners were obvious from game 1 and we did nothing to change it up otherthan maybe put some more loft and aim for back post. We never attempted to play it short, never played it to the top of the box, never went for the olímpico.

CP just isn't the set piece taker we want him to be. But many things will change in 3.5 years.

Don't really have much new/original to add but here goes anyway...

1. Put me in the 'overall pleased yet wistful of what could have been' group. It's one thing to know you have the roster to get out of pool play, it's another to actually do it.

2. I'm pretty sure I was the first/only one here who floated the idea of using Pulisic as a super sub. My thinking was influenced by what I believed was an inordinate amount of time he had lost to injuries prior to this year. His performance over these 4 WC games has moved me off that opinion and I'll admit that if I had felt this way about his durability beforehand, I would never have suggested the idea. I'm putting this out here because I don't like expecting @BassNBrew to bring it up every.single.time.CP.does.something.good. I don't mind eating my words when I'm wrong, but I don't like having them forced down my throat at every opportunity. Hopefully we can move on and not revisit this foolishness.

3. Off that last point, I want to add that I owe most of my knowledge of the beautiful game to this group and appreciate the overall sense of community here. Most of you are generous in your responses to those of us newer to the sport, and your perspectives and insight have been pretty fair and accurate. I'm looking forward to going through the next 4/3.5 years of buildup with you guys.

4. To me, GGG's best decision was bringing along Ream. I love the fact that he wasn't being considered for a roster spot until the last minute and then was indispensable when called upon. I hope he and Jedi get some love from the Fulham fans upon his return.

1. Put me in the 'overall pleased yet wistful of what could have been' group. It's one thing to know you have the roster to get out of pool play, it's another to actually do it.

2. I'm pretty sure I was the first/only one here who floated the idea of using Pulisic as a super sub. My thinking was influenced by what I believed was an inordinate amount of time he had lost to injuries prior to this year. His performance over these 4 WC games has moved me off that opinion and I'll admit that if I had felt this way about his durability beforehand, I would never have suggested the idea. I'm putting this out here because I don't like expecting @BassNBrew to bring it up every.single.time.CP.does.something.good. I don't mind eating my words when I'm wrong, but I don't like having them forced down my throat at every opportunity. Hopefully we can move on and not revisit this foolishness.

3. Off that last point, I want to add that I owe most of my knowledge of the beautiful game to this group and appreciate the overall sense of community here. Most of you are generous in your responses to those of us newer to the sport, and your perspectives and insight have been pretty fair and accurate. I'm looking forward to going through the next 4/3.5 years of buildup with you guys.

4. To me, GGG's best decision was bringing along Ream. I love the fact that he wasn't being considered for a roster spot until the last minute and then was indispensable when called upon. I hope he and Jedi get some love from the Fulham fans upon his return.
1. I think we all feel the same way. It's hard to be upset with making it to the knockouts, but then to watch the US play and compete even against England and the Netherlands makes a guy feel like with a little more luck/composure/whatever we could be looking forward to playing Argentina right now.

2. I don't blame you for that thinking. I never could put our best attacker on the bench, even if he was having trouble staying healthy, but I do understand the appeal. I will say this... One thing the US missed is that one sub that could change the game. Pulisic as a sub, whether it's here or at Chelsea always seems to bring a change to the game and that's something we missed this tourney. Maybe Gio could've/should've been that guy, but for what ever reason we just didn't get that.

3. Agreed.

4. Ream was a revelation. I don't know where we'd have been without him and I don't think I want to know. He's exactly the player we needed back there. I've said it before and I'll reiterate it here. I wish he was 25. We can only hope one of the young guys can develop the ball skills and field awareness he has. Amazing how much different he is in just the last 2 years and shows how important regular football at a high level is.

Going further on the consistent football thing. Ream's improvement in the last two years was astonishing, but also shows the importance of regular game time.

Adams was a spot starter at RBL and was improving, but not at the level he's at now. Just 3 months of starting every day for Leeds and he's looking like one of the best players at the WC.

Imagine if Pulisic, Dest, Weah, and Gio had spent the last two years starting basically every game for their club teams. How much better would they be? How much more dangerous would the US look if that were the case. Maybe that final ball would look as dangerous as the Dutch's was. The biggest thing we need to be actively cheering for in the next 3 years is playing time. Look at Taylor Booth right now. We need all these guys to get minutes and game situations under their belt. If that happens... watch out 2026 IMO.

I believe those 22 corners resulted in exactly 1 chance on goal (the one today where Ream just couldn't get a final toe on it).

I think 21 of the 22 corners were relatively identical in terms of the ball being played into the middle of the box.
Irritating. Not sure our free kicks were any better. I can't remember any of consequence.
The frustrating part is that the ineffective chutneys corners were obvious from game 1 and we did nothing to change it up otherthan maybe put some more loft and aim for back post. We never attempted to play it short, never played it to the top of the box, never went for the olímpico.

CP just isn't the set piece taker we want him to be. But many things will change in 3.5 years.

Didn't we try this once to Dest? If I recall it was wide open, but CP underhit that too.

Didn't we try this once to Dest? If I recall it was wide open, but CP underhit that too.

correct. That was the 1 out of 22 I mentioned above that was not looped into the middle.

1. I think we all feel the same way. It's hard to be upset with making it to the knockouts, but then to watch the US play and compete even against England and the Netherlands makes a guy feel like with a little more luck/composure/whatever we could be looking forward to playing Argentina right now.

2. I don't blame you for that thinking. I never could put our best attacker on the bench, even if he was having trouble staying healthy, but I do understand the appeal. I will say this... One thing the US missed is that one sub that could change the game. Pulisic as a sub, whether it's here or at Chelsea always seems to bring a change to the game and that's something we missed this tourney. Maybe Gio could've/should've been that guy, but for what ever reason we just didn't get that.

3. Agreed.

4. Ream was a revelation. I don't know where we'd have been without him and I don't think I want to know. He's exactly the player we needed back there. I've said it before and I'll reiterate it here. I wish he was 25. We can only hope one of the young guys can develop the ball skills and field awareness he has. Amazing how much different he is in just the last 2 years and shows how important regular football at a high level is.
One thing I thought GGG was doing right was back in the Gold Cup when he used his 5 subs with more purpose, and they seemed to make more of an impact when they came in. Granted it was against 'weaker' teams, but I felt like he got the knack for using the extra subs faster than other coaches, and that he could continue that and keep the pedal down as a way of life for the team. I had visions of the early 90's Arkansas basketball team's "40 minutes of hell" style of play, where we have the athletes/talent to play non-stop up-tempo and when the other side is gassed, run in CP to take advantage of their weakened legs. Obviously we're far from that, but it could have started with this group.

Agreed about Ream. I hope his relationship with the USMNT program continues for a long time.

CP's motor was endless. I'm not sure if it was fitness or desire (probably both) but he looked fresh and ran hard very late in games where the other starters that were running hard looked completely dead.

Carlo Ancelloti would be a dream candidate. But I think he really loves living in Vancouver in the offseason. So maybe Herdman should watch his back.

Wenger too old? I would love a younger Arsène to coach this US side.

Sorry @Charlie Steiner

Wasn't directed at you, there were many here with various takes saying CP would be a better sub, CP is regressing, Gio will make CP look like yesterday's news, CP isn't a top 3 USMNT player. This also isn't directed at you, but why can't we have nice things and enjoy them rather than want to trash them? Maybe someday 5-8 players surpass CPs accomplishments. That actaully would be awesome, but in the meantime as we wait IMO the dude deserves some major respect for want he has done for the team.

Assuming their teams will release them....

Scally seems like an obvious choice. Just 19 years old and hasn't gotten a lot of mins with the senior year (and he's got Dest in front of him, so he's probably blocked for the moment). Plus the fullbacks kinda seemed like the weakspot on the group that qualified.

Gio is obviously eligible but I dont see that happening. With his injury history, I'm guessing Dortmond wouldn't allow it/would STRONGLY oppose it.

Tilman is also eligible. Wouldn't mind that (although the attacking midfield spot was the strongest part of the qualifying roster. Will be interesting to see how loyal they are to those guys)

A pure forward seems likely. Hopefully that would be Pepi and not Jesus (who I dont think will be good enough to be in the mix 4 years from now).

And then there are obviously some age eligible dual nats (Gomez for sure. Also Balogun) if they pick us.

edit: this is obviously just age-eligible players. I wouldn't think any of the older core guys (CP, Adams, Weston) would go as over-age guys, but who knows?? Again....I would think the clubs would be opposed to it.

Hopefully some of these clubs see it as a way to increase transfer values.

GGG was asked directly if he wanted to coach another cycle.

His response was guarded, saying he needed to think things over the next couple of weeks and decide what he wants to do next.

Wenger too old? I would love a younger Arsène to coach this US side.
I assume the possibility of some cold weather games in Minnesota or Denver would cause Arsene too much anorak zipper anxiety.

Acosta?

POSSIBLE, but unlikely, IMO. He'll be 30/31 that Summer and he's an MLS lifer at this point. (and that's because he's just not that good).

If they haven't developed a better backup 6 four years from now, something went wrong. There are guys out there that are sub-23 years old right and more talented than he is. James Sands is a possibility. I'm not huge Cardoso fan but he apparently is playing well in Brazil again. The recent U-20 qualfiying roster had a few pretty talented MF's that will have a chance to prove themselves at the Olympics 18 months from now. (and a couple that didn't make it there due to injury/club stuff like Obed Vargas)
Flach would appear to be a possibility as well.

Users who are viewing this thread