What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (1 Viewer)

So EA sent me 2 copies of NHL 11. I waited a week or 2 to hear from them, then I emailed customer service. No reply now for about 2 weeks. I want to sell it or trade it in or give to a friend, but assume the day I do that EA will send me shipping labels.

Is it mine mow or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
So EA sent me 2 copies of NHL 11. I waited a week or 2 to hear from them, then I emailed customer service. No reply now for about 2 weeks. I want to sell it or trade it in or give to a friend, but assume the day I do that EA will send me shipping labels.Is it mine mow or what?
I'd wait one more week.

re ME2 vs FO3

These games are very different for the reasons Inseim mentioned. FO3 is open-world, while ME3 is linear. FO3 is an RPG with shooter elements, while ME2 is a shooter with RPG elements. FO3 leaves the story up to the player, while ME2 is heavily scripted. Etc. Having said all that, these games do both feature turn-based combat -- assuming you're using VATS in FO -- and they both involve managing NPCs although I never had one when I played FO. I always preferred to go solo.

re Batman vs. God of War

These two games actually seem pretty similar to me. They're both basically button-mashers with different skins. To get good at Batman, you need to get your timing down to block attacks, and you need to be able to use your cloak, hook, throws, etc. effectively. That's always how I remembered GOW. What am I missing here?

re ME2 vs FO3

These games are very different for the reasons Inseim mentioned. FO3 is open-world, while ME3 is linear. FO3 is an RPG with shooter elements, while ME2 is a shooter with RPG elements. FO3 leaves the story up to the player, while ME2 is heavily scripted. Etc. Having said all that, these games do both feature turn-based combat -- assuming you're using VATS in FO -- and they both involve managing NPCs although I never had one when I played FO. I always preferred to go solo.

re Batman vs. God of War

These two games actually seem pretty similar to me. They're both basically button-mashers with different skins. To get good at Batman, you need to get your timing down to block attacks, and you need to be able to use your cloak, hook, throws, etc. effectively. That's always how I remembered GOW. What am I missing here?
Waves and waves of enemies in GOW. Different button combos pull off different moves, upgrading different weapons. In the fighting parts in Batman there really arent waves of enemies and theres really only one button to fight. Its more of a timing thing. Id call GOW a button masher. Id call Batman more of a timing based combat system. I love both games but I think they are VERY different. JMO.

'belljr said:
Nascar and Tiger Woods landing on door step tomorrow!! :excited:Nascar Xbox 360TW - PS3 - (sucker who bought Collectors Edition)
Looking forward to Tiger Woods being waiting for me when I get home tonight too (for the Wii). I have not bought any previous version of it (the Masters finally pushed me to get it).

Demo'd Shogun 2. Did not like.
What didn't you like about it?
Battles did not handle very well at all. There were no improvements from the battles in Medieval 2 and it honestly seems worse. The GUI for building was not friendly at all, especially for some who hasn't played Shogun before. It seems like a big step back from Medieval 2. Can't believe that it is almost 4 years newer. I only gave it about 3-4 hours but I won't be giving it another shot.

'shadyridr said:
'Drifter said:
Started Arkham Asylum. Great graphics and cool concepts but I'm not a big fan of the God of War style gaming. It's okay, it just doesn't thrill me. I'll keep playing because the game looks so cool but I don't feel as though I'll finish it.
Batman is NOTHING like GOW
Yes it is. Button mashing combos, mild puzzle solving. It's an evolution of the style with some cool features but it's squarely in the same genre.

'Cliff Clavin said:
'thecatch said:
'Cliff Clavin said:
Demo'd Shogun 2. Did not like.
What didn't you like about it?
Battles did not handle very well at all. There were no improvements from the battles in Medieval 2 and it honestly seems worse. The GUI for building was not friendly at all, especially for some who hasn't played Shogun before. It seems like a big step back from Medieval 2. Can't believe that it is almost 4 years newer. I only gave it about 3-4 hours but I won't be giving it another shot.
I'll offer a counter opinion here:I'm loving Shogun 2. I've played every TW game since the original Shogun, and I feel like this game was almost a fan service. Shogun 2 is Shogun TW how the wanted to make it but couldn't. The combat is excellent and feels more rewarding than the more recent gunpowder era games. It does play differently than Medieval 2, which I felt was a little more Cavalry oriented. Shogun 2 is very infantry-centric. Possible complaints: Unit variety, but this is on purpose. This is a game with a very limited scope in both time and place. Every faction has essentially the same troops with each faction getting one type of "buffed" basic unit (Usegi Warrior Monks, for instance). Bow dominance in castle sieges. I don't know if this is on purpose or not, but bows are crazy powerful when massed on walls for castle defense. I can hold off enormous armies with 6-7 "peasant" bowman units and a 3-4 decent infantry units to handle where they make it up to the walls. ---All that said, Shogun 2 has been one of my more positive experiences with a TW game in awhile. The atmosphere in game is excellent. The detail on units is incredible. The diplomacy system seems more fleshed out, more realistic, and more useful that in previous versions, and the sheer number of factions on the board makes for some tricky (yet enjoyable) campaign play. Hell, the computer even mounted a mildly successful rear-guard invasion against me, managing to capture a couple of my long secured provinces after I got lazy and stopped really defending them in order to push toward Kyoto and take the capital. Give it a try, it isn't bad at all.

Anybody suggest a good place to pick up controllers on the cheap? Broke one of my xbox ones and need a 2nd one for my new PS3. :excited:

Ebay has them much cheaper than retail but most of those are chinese reproductions that I'm not entirely confident about.

'shadyridr said:
'Drifter said:
Started Arkham Asylum. Great graphics and cool concepts but I'm not a big fan of the God of War style gaming. It's okay, it just doesn't thrill me. I'll keep playing because the game looks so cool but I don't feel as though I'll finish it.
Yes it is. Button mashing combos, mild puzzle solving. It's an evolution of the style with some cool features but it's squarely in the same genre.
Yikes - not close at all in genre. GOW is a button mashing / third person / jump in the middle of the fray and kill everyone with a huge sword/big chain/etc. It's almost mindless. Jump in, kill, pull a lever, rinse/repeat. Batman is MUCH more thoughtful in pace and play style - it's stealthy and tactical. The only things they have in common are third person and hitting a button to strike.

'shadyridr said:
'Drifter said:
Yikes - not close at all in genre. GOW is a button mashing / third person / jump in the middle of the fray and kill everyone with a huge sword/big chain/etc. It's almost mindless. Jump in, kill, pull a lever, rinse/repeat. Batman is MUCH more thoughtful in pace and play style - it's stealthy and tactical. The only things they have in common are third person and hitting a button to strike.
:goodposting:

'shadyridr said:
'Drifter said:
it's still the same type of game. How you approach it may be different but it's a 100% linear action game that relies on button combo combat and mild puzzle solving. Didn't meant to upset the fanbois.

I am about 1.5 hours into Two Worlds II. Luckily I picked it up cheap on ebay because as most have said, it is meh at best. I will likely still get a bunch of hours out of it because I am a trophy whore but outside of that, arguably the worst game I have ever played on the PS3.

'shadyridr said:
'Drifter said:
it's still the same type of game. How you approach it may be different but it's a 100% linear action game that relies on button combo combat and mild puzzle solving. Didn't meant to upset the fanbois.
Can you clear an entire room full of enemies in GOW without any of them ever knowing you were there? No, therefore, not the same kind of game.

'shadyridr said:
'Drifter said:

'shadyridr said:
'Drifter said:
Theres a lot more strategy to the combat. If you dont believe me try the challenge rooms and just button mash. Then report back to us.

I am about 1.5 hours into Two Worlds II. Luckily I picked it up cheap on ebay because as most have said, it is meh at best. I will likely still get a bunch of hours out of it because I am a trophy whore but outside of that, arguably the worst game I have ever played on the PS3.
:sadbanana:I guess after playing the first one I'm not expecting much, but everything I see in the videos looks like I'll like it.

Picking up Battlefield Bad Company 2 for the Xbox. The Vietnam DLC is half price next week. Anyone still playing this?
Sonuva........I like the game well enough, problem is, I picked it up right after everybody else put it down. I can't play games like that w/o my FBG buddies.

Come to think of it, I don't play ANY MP games without you guys. :wub:

'shadyridr said:
'Drifter said:
Of course its like saying Mario Sunshine and Metal Gear Solid are the same game because they have linear action and press buttons. In fact 90% of the games out there do the same.

Picking up Battlefield Bad Company 2 for the Xbox. The Vietnam DLC is half price next week. Anyone still playing this?
Sonuva........I like the game well enough, problem is, I picked it up right after everybody else put it down. I can't play games like that w/o my FBG buddies.

Come to think of it, I don't play ANY MP games without you guys. :wub:
In case you haven't caught on, a few of us 360 FBGs refer to the the bolded section as "pulling a moobin." :banned: As for BC2, I love the game. Just wish they beefed up the Anti Air to balance the destruction that a good pilot can distribute. I have considered getting back into this game, maybe during the 5 month gap between GoW 3 beta and launch.

Edit: Homefront got me itching for some Battlefield and Vietnam dlc put it over the top. Just borrowed this form a friend and goozex'd a copy for my own. I know Manback and Ren have the Vietnam also, same with Shades McGavin. I'll be picking it up on the 5th.

Anybody pick up ME2 Arrival DLC yet?
OOF!
Well when is DLC typically discounted?I think it's cool to lead into the 3rd game though. When is ME3 supposed to drop?
No exact date yet(Q4 2011) but November seems like a good bet. Will probably pick up this DLC sooner or later. Am still trying to finish Dragon Age 2 now and haven't even started Crysis yet. Damn NBA 2K11 has me addicted right now

Anybody pick up ME2 Arrival DLC yet?
OOF!
Well when is DLC typically discounted?I think it's cool to lead into the 3rd game though. When is ME3 supposed to drop?
No exact date yet(Q4 2011) but November seems like a good bet. Will probably pick up this DLC sooner or later. Am still trying to finish Dragon Age 2 now and haven't even started Crysis yet. Damn NBA 2K11 has me addicted right now
What's your thoughts on Dragon Age 2? If you have played the first one, how much of a difference do you think the battle system change has made?

'Andy Dufresne said:
'belljr said:
Nascar and Tiger Woods landing on door step tomorrow!! :excited:

Nascar Xbox 360

TW - PS3 - (sucker who bought Collectors Edition)
Anxious to hear the review. :popcorn: Played the demo last night and I have to say that I wansn't blown away. Doesn't look that much different than '07.
Ok I played 1 game so far. Augusta IS AWESOME. My quick play now review.I set it on Tour PRO mode so no spinning the ball in the air if you didn't set up to hit that shot, putt preview etc.

The graphics are really not "up to date" on mildly better than version I had 2 ago (I think it was 2 version back). I'm guessing the move technology etc held it back.

Putting is freaking hard, on the setting I'm using, if you don't hit the putter straight, like your regualr swing, you can push and pull the ball.

Kind of like the caddie but may turn him off eventually. Physics seem pretty "real".

Have not started my career yet, wanted to get one quick round in. Doesn't look like there is a Tiger Challenge like their ised to be :shrug:

NOW my pet peeve with ALL NEW GAMES in general. I purchased the CE, and received 5 extra courses, plus a bonus course for pre-order. However, they still have 13 more courses for download that don't appear that you can unlock them in game. I need to research further. Price per course $4 buy them all for $35. ARE YOU ####### KIDDING ME?!?!?!? The problem is people jump all over this and they make $$$ so they will keep doing it. Stop buying this #### or make the price reasonable. I dropped $70 on a game but need to pay $35 more to get full experience.

Supposedly if you come to a trounament that uses one of those courses, it'll ask you to download or use a different one. They really couldn't add them in cmon really??!?!? I hate this business model with a passion. Now if these are unlockable in game then I have no problem but I don't think they are.

Anyway will report more when I play more, so far it feels much like an older version with some newer things but I haven't played in a couple years so it feels fresh.

The career mode does look better on the surface. Like I said I just started so I'll need to give it some more time.

Anyone heard anything good/bad about MLB 2011? How's the simulation around it?
The SHOW is amazing...... PS3 only obviously

Anyone remember playing the No One Lives Forever games? I had forgotten about those but man, were they fun. The dialogue was witty and humorous, and the action was pretty darn good most of the time. I wonder how much they run on Steam right now. . . :bag:

What's your thoughts on Dragon Age 2? If you have played the first one, how much of a difference do you think the battle system change has made?
I'm enjoying Dragon Age 2 more than the first, so far. It's definitely moved away from the Baldur's Gate, dare I say, :nerd: style, and more toward Mass Effect-type action. It's certainly more in-depth than ME2, though; you still get to equip your character (can't change other party members's armor at all) and there are some options that let you get more in the weeds of combat if you desire. I was often frustrated by the combat in DA1, so I just set it to easy and mowed everyone down, so it has been a big improvement from my perspective. And the move to the dialog wheel is a huge improvement as well.

'shadyridr said:
'Drifter said:
Of course its like saying Mario Sunshine and Metal Gear Solid are the same game because they have linear action and press buttons. In fact 90% of the games out there do the same.
Yeah, that's a pretty ignorant posting on his part. Batman and GoW are nothing alike.

I'm enjoying Dragon Age 2 more than the first, so far. It's definitely moved away from the Baldur's Gate, dare I say, :nerd: style, and more toward Mass Effect-type action. It's certainly more in-depth than ME2, though; you still get to equip your character (can't change other party members's armor at all) and there are some options that let you get more in the weeds of combat if you desire. I was often frustrated by the combat in DA1, so I just set it to easy and mowed everyone down, so it has been a big improvement from my perspective. And the move to the dialog wheel is a huge improvement as well.
It's funny because I have the exact opposite reaction to this game. It has absolutely moved to a more Mass Effect/action/dumbed down RPG. The fact that I haven't finished this yet I think is the best indicator that I'm not a fan. I poured 40+ hours into Dragon Age 1 in a little over a week and finished it. I've got 14 hours into DA2 in 3 weeks now and have little to no interest in going back to it. When I do plug it back in I can guarantee I will set the difficulty as low as possible so I can just button mash through everything and catch the story.

It's funny because I have the exact opposite reaction to this game. It has absolutely moved to a more Mass Effect/action/dumbed down RPG. The fact that I haven't finished this yet I think is the best indicator that I'm not a fan. I poured 40+ hours into Dragon Age 1 in a little over a week and finished it. I've got 14 hours into DA2 in 3 weeks now and have little to no interest in going back to it. When I do plug it back in I can guarantee I will set the difficulty as low as possible so I can just button mash through everything and catch the story.
:goodposting: Absolutely loved the DAO and almost hated this game. Had it not been released as a sequel to DAO then I would have excepted it as a nice little action game. However, having to sit through the same location over and overagain, the incredibly lame combat system (I actually dozed off mashing the A button during a long fight), the lack of any real story line and having to put up with all but one male character trying to get into my dudes pants, there is no way I could sit through another play through of this game. They absolutely rushed it out and IMO Bioware should be ashamed of themselves. I quickly put it up on Ebay and was able to get some sucker to pay $45 for it.

Anyone remember playing the No One Lives Forever games? I had forgotten about those but man, were they fun. The dialogue was witty and humorous, and the action was pretty darn good most of the time. I wonder how much they run on Steam right now. . . :bag:
It's not on Steam. . . :cry:

I still have the discs for 2 somewhere. Do you think it would run on Windows 7? I loved the original agent Archer.

I still have the discs for 2 somewhere. Do you think it would run on Windows 7? I loved the original agent Archer.
I wish I had saved those, as well. I had both and thought they were both amazing. As for Win7, I would imagine it would be fine. link to solutions if any problems

Playing Tiger Woods 12 now (Xbox 360). Not all that far into it, but here are some first impressions:

- They nail Augusta - it looks great. But they also nail the attitude of it, for better or worse (see further below)

- The caddy is cool, but over 18 holes, a little time consuming. A round is about 30% longer. You can turn him off, but his recommendations are still there, etc. Personally, I don't mind the caddy, and think it's a great addition, despite taking more time to play a round.

- Gameplay is prettymuch unchanged. I'm two years removed from a Tiger Woods game, and I jumped right in without any issue.

- They took out a lot of the "sillier" stuff. Bunny suits, crowds shouting out your nickname, and baseball swing celebrations? Errr no... not at Augusta, thank you very much. They (seemingly) even got rid of the "big swing" animations. It's pretty clear the club had some say in this aspect of the game. Even the somewhat cool electronica-lite music of past versions is replaced with a very staid choice of tunes, all of which would fit a real Masters telecast going to commercial break. Basically, if older versions had a loose "Pro-am" vibe, this one is all button down and corporate. I'm kind of surprised they even allowed jeans, flip-flops, and basketball-style shorts in wardrobe choices (but that's about as subversive as it gets.)

I like the game so far, but I do wish they kept a few of the sillier aspects, even if just custom celebrations and the nickname. It just adds a little life to the game. But if anyone didn't like the silly stuff and wanted more of a sim in terms of personality, this is your game.

Playing Tiger Woods 12 now (Xbox 360). Not all that far into it, but here are some first impressions: - They nail Augusta - it looks great. But they also nail the attitude of it, for better or worse (see further below) - The caddy is cool, but over 18 holes, a little time consuming. A round is about 30% longer. You can turn him off, but his recommendations are still there, etc. Personally, I don't mind the caddy, and think it's a great addition, despite taking more time to play a round. - Gameplay is prettymuch unchanged. I'm two years removed from a Tiger Woods game, and I jumped right in without any issue. - They took out a lot of the "sillier" stuff. Bunny suits, crowds shouting out your nickname, and baseball swing celebrations? Errr no... not at Augusta, thank you very much. They (seemingly) even got rid of the "big swing" animations. It's pretty clear the club had some say in this aspect of the game. Even the somewhat cool electronica-lite music of past versions is replaced with a very staid choice of tunes, all of which would fit a real Masters telecast going to commercial break. Basically, if older versions had a loose "Pro-am" vibe, this one is all button down and corporate. I'm kind of surprised they even allowed jeans, flip-flops, and basketball-style shorts in wardrobe choices (but that's about as subversive as it gets.)I like the game so far, but I do wish they kept a few of the sillier aspects, even if just custom celebrations and the nickname. It just adds a little life to the game. But if anyone didn't like the silly stuff and wanted more of a sim in terms of personality, this is your game.
Pretty much my same review as above after 1 round :) :hifive: I bought the PS3 version for the extra courses - :sucker:

Newegg is having a promo through tomorrow where new accounts get $25 off a $100 purchase. I still have my $50 gift card from them, so I threw Crysis 2 and Diablo 3 (preorder) into the cart, applied the $25 coupon (which I used for a newly created account), applied the gift card, and BAM! Diablo 3 and Crysis 2 for $27 and change. :nerd:

newgeek25 is the coupon code, BTW.

Yeah, that's a pretty ignorant posting on his part. Batman and GoW are nothing alike.
Ignorant? If I hadn't played both games you could call it ignorant.. but I have and that's my opinion. With the exception of the stealth it feels like the same type of game - which I'm not a fan of. :shrug:

:goodposting: Absolutely loved the DAO and almost hated this game. Had it not been released as a sequel to DAO then I would have excepted it as a nice little action game. However, having to sit through the same location over and overagain, the incredibly lame combat system (I actually dozed off mashing the A button during a long fight), the lack of any real story line and having to put up with all but one male character trying to get into my dudes pants, there is no way I could sit through another play through of this game. They absolutely rushed it out and IMO Bioware should be ashamed of themselves. I quickly put it up on Ebay and was able to get some sucker to pay $45 for it.
What I loved most about DAO was how it was a lot like Baldur's Gate, but simpler. I'm liking DA2 quite a bit too but it's not going to have the staying power that DAO did. I can't stand the dumbed down companion management. And the stupid "waves" in every battle is the worst decision I've seen in an RPG in a very long time. You just finish off a room full of guys when - SURPRISE - your mage is getting mobbed by a half dozen 7ft Qunari that just dropped out of the sky.Also the difficulty is wacky
I absolutely carved through the first Act on Nightmare without really even breaking a sweat. But the Ancient Rock Wraith at the end is just silly. It's obvious how to beat him but it takes like a half hour and is just about impossible as far as I can tell on Nightmare or even Hard without a good tank, and since you can't respec Fenris into a sword & board it means you're pretty much screwed unless you brought Aveline (which I didn't).I'm glad for the challenge but it's kinda stupid to force you into respeccing just for that one fight. There hasn't been a single challenge this far into the game that would direct me into building a party that could handle that fight.

Playing Tiger Woods 12 now (Xbox 360). Not all that far into it, but here are some first impressions:

- They nail Augusta - it looks great. But they also nail the attitude of it, for better or worse (see further below)

- The caddy is cool, but over 18 holes, a little time consuming. A round is about 30% longer. You can turn him off, but his recommendations are still there, etc. Personally, I don't mind the caddy, and think it's a great addition, despite taking more time to play a round.

- Gameplay is prettymuch unchanged. I'm two years removed from a Tiger Woods game, and I jumped right in without any issue.

- They took out a lot of the "sillier" stuff. Bunny suits, crowds shouting out your nickname, and baseball swing celebrations? Errr no... not at Augusta, thank you very much. They (seemingly) even got rid of the "big swing" animations. It's pretty clear the club had some say in this aspect of the game. Even the somewhat cool electronica-lite music of past versions is replaced with a very staid choice of tunes, all of which would fit a real Masters telecast going to commercial break. Basically, if older versions had a loose "Pro-am" vibe, this one is all button down and corporate. I'm kind of surprised they even allowed jeans, flip-flops, and basketball-style shorts in wardrobe choices (but that's about as subversive as it gets.)

I like the game so far, but I do wish they kept a few of the sillier aspects, even if just custom celebrations and the nickname. It just adds a little life to the game. But if anyone didn't like the silly stuff and wanted more of a sim in terms of personality, this is your game.
Quoting my own post here, but wow, you can't wear that stuff at Augusta even in a videogame. When you play at Augusta with your created golfer, it drops you to your sponsor default outfit, or the regular EA default. Wow. Being told how to dress in a videogame!

Users who are viewing this thread