What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (13 Viewers)

Question for those gamers who also have kid gamers. Where are your consoles located? I have the PS5 in the man cave but this means anytime my son wants to play (technically I bought it for him) I cant stay in my man cave. He has a PS4 in his room where he plays the majority of his games right now (Fortnite, sports games). I would put the PS5 in his room but he doesnt have a newer TV plus I still play an occasional game on the PS5 (waiting for the new HZD in February). 

Question for those gamers who also have kid gamers. Where are your consoles located? I have the PS5 in the man cave but this means anytime my son wants to play (technically I bought it for him) I cant stay in my man cave. He has a PS4 in his room where he plays the majority of his games right now (Fortnite, sports games). I would put the PS5 in his room but he doesnt have a newer TV plus I still play an occasional game on the PS5 (waiting for the new HZD in February). 
My kids are both in college in now, but my console has always been in the man cave, and I faced the same issues of getting kicked out of my cave regularly.  My home office was always my fallback option for being alone and watching Netflix.

PS5 and all my consoles (PS4 Pro, PS3, NES, XBOX, Atari, Intellivision) all in the man cave. My son has his PS4 and XBOX 360......more than enough for him to stay busy. And he is a hardcore PC gamer.....so he never cares to play the PS5. 

I got m PS5 on Costco online when I was tipped off on Twitter. Was very lucky. Was a bundle with two games, and an extra controller. 

I feel for folks having a hard time landing one. But this has everything to do with the chip shortage and supply line issues. 

PS4’s were no problem to snag ever. Now you can’t find PS4 Pros anymore from my understanding.....again we can thank COVID for a lot of the issues we are seeing. A very destructive virus in more way than just loss of life. It is affecting all area’s of our everyday lives. 

Here is to hopefully moving on sooner than later and getting past this thing. 

And Outer Worlds is a blast......just scratching the surface and having so much fun with the humor and dialog in this one.

Could use some recommendations, in a little bit of a stagnant gaming period here.  Xbox One player.

Currently playing - Hades, Overwatch, Dead Cells.  Hades is fantastic but I've beaten it something like 75 times now, and other than bludgeoning myself with higher heat runs - which are fun - there's essentially nothing left for me to do.  Overwatch it my competitive fix.  I started Dead Cells, got maybe 10 hours into it but I'm losing interest.

Likes - action-adventure, open world sandbox, platformer, artsy indie type games, competitive-yet-kinda-cartoony shooters. 

Played Gears of War pretty much exclusively for competitive play as a diehard player for probably about 10 years, but have been playing mostly Overwatch for the past ~3 years now.  GTA, Red Dead, Far Cry, Saints Row (if they ever make another one) series are staples for me.  Have yet to get Far Cry 6, waiting for a bit of a price drop but I've beaten the hell out of all of them since Far Cry 2 including DLCs.  Used to be really into Assassin's Creed but lost interest after Black Flag and haven't played since.  Have played quite a bit of Destiny 1/2 over the years but not in the past few months.  Some other games I love - Super Meat Boy (106%!!), Hyper Light Drifter, The Messenger, Hades (obviously), Death's Door, Celeste, Sonic Mania.

Anyway, I'm having trouble finding something that sticks.  Accepting any suggestions.
If you've never played The Binding of Isaac, I say you need to give Binding of Isaac: Repentance a try.  Repentance is the final update to the game and added a ton of new stuff, including new endings and bosses.  It recently finally became available on consoles if that's what you play on, but it's been out on PC for about a year and a half.  It sounds like you like rogue-likes and I can't recommend that one enough.

Far Cry keeps resetting me at camp every time I die (often) — Is there any way around this? About to give up on the game, it takes 3-5 minutes to get somewhere every time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Far Cry keeps resetting me at camp every time I day (often) — Is there any way around this? About to give up on the game, it takes 3-5 minutes to get somewhere every time. 
It's been awhile since I played. Aren't there fast travel spots you open up?

Far Cry keeps resetting me at camp every time I die (often) — Is there any way around this? About to give up on the game, it takes 3-5 minutes to get somewhere every time. 
Are you using the wingsuit? I feel like it drastically cuts down the time it takes me to get from place to place. 

A few years ago, when both my boys were in high school, but still playing video games, I upgraded the man cave to three TVs & three recliners.  It's a weird wide room, so it works.  Problem solved.  We had four different systems (three XboxOnes, PS3, PS4) hooked up.

They are now both off to college so it is a sad reminder these days. 

One level into the Halo Infinite campaign and I’m loving it so far. It’s kind of bizarre that they ended Halo 5 on a cliffhanger and  then start the next game with a new story and absolutely zero acknowledgement of the prior two games. I guess they deserve credit for recognizing it wasn’t working and moving on - maybe Star Wars could learn a lesson there. 

The game is a little buggy for sure.  

Go to your home screen and "Quit the game."  If that doesn't work, try turning the console off.  Make sure the game was quit thought--if it tries to reboot from it's previous state it won't work.

Also you can fast travel to any number of locations on the map which should help you get around more quickly.

Finished Far Cry 6 last night.  Main campaign anyway.  Right now I don't plan to go back through all of the post-campaign stuff.  But if I'm ever bored between games--its been a super fun shoot 'em up game.  

I've had Halo 5 for probably a year or 2 and just never sat down for it.  Should I still play it before Halo infinite?

I've had Halo 5 for probably a year or 2 and just never sat down for it.  Should I still play it before Halo infinite?
I’m assuming Infinite will address the existence of Halo 5 at some point, but it certainly doesn’t sound like playing 5 is necessary. Maybe just skim a plot summary first. 

Love Civ 6.  I don't understand why but making your own little country from ashes to an empire--then conquering the world is so fun.
I only played it once but it was fun destroying the entire globe with my bombers and nukes. They were about 3 turns too late from banning nukes. 

We have an extra room we use as a playroom. My kids are 11th and 7th grade. Used to be the PS4 and Switch, but we upgraded to the PS5. There was a time when my kids would go to be at 9 (and my wife would go to bed right after), and I would have from 9-11 pm to play games or watch TV. Now my kids routinely go to bed around 9:45, and my aged body requires more rest, so I've been going to bed at 10:45 or earlier. There's barely enough time to watch an hour show anymore. 

Been playing Ratchet and Clank (2016) on my PS5.  It was free on PS+ recently.  Really enjoying it.  First Ratchet game I've played.  

How is Rift Apart?  Reviews seem hit and miss.  

Just got the new Halo.  Haven't played a Halo game since Halo 2.  It's really fun right now (I love the grapple mechanic) but so far all I've done is the campaign.  I'll probably play some pvp this weekend.

Just got the new Halo.  Haven't played a Halo game since Halo 2.  It's really fun right now (I love the grapple mechanic) but so far all I've done is the campaign.  I'll probably play some pvp this weekend.
I love the multiplayer games, but it is frustrating to play in a random lobby when a lot of players don't play the objective.  I can't tell you how many 12v12 CTF games I've played where almost no one is trying to capture a flag, and it's just a 15 minute long game of 20 people playing slayer, and a couple of people trying to capture flags.

Fortunately they have just separated out Slayer games as a specific option, so hopefully that weeds it out a little.

Been trying, off and on, for the last year to get a PS5. Hearing rumors or another GameStop drop on Dec. 23 and I think that’s my cue to driver wherever I need to get one. Now that I’m a bonus dad to 4 littles, 2 of which are big gamers, this is an opportunity to really kinda surprise them:) 🤞

Been trying, off and on, for the last year to get a PS5. Hearing rumors or another GameStop drop on Dec. 23 and I think that’s my cue to driver wherever I need to get one. Now that I’m a bonus dad to 4 littles, 2 of which are big gamers, this is an opportunity to really kinda surprise them:) 🤞

Gamestops had a drop this past Friday. Not sure how many my local one got. Talked to security person in the shopping center who was talking about prior. When the PS5 released initially they only got 5 in 

Hey guys anyone know for the Xbox S besides buying an extra controller do I need anything else to have the kids up and going or just the main system since games are all downloaded? 

Hey guys anyone know for the Xbox S besides buying an extra controller do I need anything else to have the kids up and going or just the main system since games are all downloaded? 

I'd advise you to get unbox it, hook it up, and do system updates ASAP and then rebox/wrap it for Xmas.  Xmas morning is going to smash the update servers and your kids are going to watch the system update for hours before letting them on.  If you're planning on buying them any games, I'd suggest downloading those beforehand as well for the same reason.

I'd advise you to get unbox it, hook it up, and do system updates ASAP and then rebox/wrap it for Xmas.  Xmas morning is going to smash the update servers and your kids are going to watch the system update for hours before letting them on.  If you're planning on buying them any games, I'd suggest downloading those beforehand as well for the same reason.
Hardwire the Internet for this update/download time if you can.  Not always necessary for regular gaming, but will make this part faster.

Any idea how long this will take for a not very tech savvy dad? Thanks for this info, no other equipment needed? 

And Outer Worlds is a blast......just scratching the surface and having so much fun with the humor and dialog in this one.
I got the ultimate version (or whatever it's called) a few months ago when it was on sale in the PS store, and I loved it so much. I think it has probably some of the best writing of any RPG I've played. even the notes you find on people's computers are hilariously written.

and having my whole squad dressed in that pink and powder blue armor probably made me happier than I care to admit.

Outstanding suggestion.  Strongly endorse.

GoBirds said:
Any idea how long this will take for a not very tech savvy dad? Thanks for this info, no other equipment needed? 
It really depends on your connection speed.  Could be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour.

Kanil said:

Get an external HD and download a bunch of games as well, so they can start playing right away also.

Poke_4_Life said:
Hardwire the Internet for this update/download time if you can.  Not always necessary for regular gaming, but will make this part faster.
So for a non tech guy like myself who can do the basics and do work arounds explain this in amateur terms to do because I have like one of the slowest internet connections ever and it takes my games almost 6-7 hrs to download and my router and system are in the same room 

A few years ago, when both my boys were in high school, but still playing video games, I upgraded the man cave to three TVs & three recliners.  It's a weird wide room, so it works.  Problem solved.  We had four different systems (three XboxOnes, PS3, PS4) hooked up.

They are now both off to college so it is a sad reminder these days. 

This isn't a knock on you just a general question but I don't get how you guys can have all these systems at once, most updated TV and man cave. My PS5 this year do to price set me back a bit (Not a lot but it's really delaying me getting more accessories for my PS5 and upgrading my TV to a bigger one. How do you guys do it? Just done it spread out, fund saved for gaming/entertainment purposes, fortunate to have a very good paying job etc? With houses and kids I can't see it being terrible easy to do unless your good with your funds. 

As for my purses I'm holding off on a new TV for a bit upgrade wise. Want a smart TV 4K if I can as the PS5 doesn't support paramount plus and I got to go through my laptop HDTV adapter to watch anything on there now. Like my PS5 streaming wise with games but would prefer not to fire that up if I can prevent it at times. 

Either way for PS5 accessories does anyone have anything that I NEED TO GET or would make my experience better? Thinking of at least another controller. I don't do a lot of multiplayer and most of my friends are xbox guys. Those with PS4 or fortunate with PS5 don't always play same games as me and are usually only on weekends when I'm working. So I want a headset but not looking for anything crazy expensive. Just something that gets me through a MP game when I want to play, communicate and sturdy. Was thinking of the PS5 remote but if I get the Smart TV eventually that might be rendered useless besides a few instances. 

So for a non tech guy like myself who can do the basics and do work arounds explain this in amateur terms to do because I have like one of the slowest internet connections ever and it takes my games almost 6-7 hrs to download and my router and system are in the same room 

Connect your xbox directly to the router with a CAT5 cable. 

Maybe you cant have it wired like that all the time but you can buy longer CAT5 cables even if its just temporary to do big DLs or system updates. It will go from hours and hours to minutes. 

This isn't a knock on you just a general question but I don't get how you guys can have all these systems at once, most updated TV and man cave. My PS5 this year do to price set me back a bit (Not a lot but it's really delaying me getting more accessories for my PS5 and upgrading my TV to a bigger one. How do you guys do it? Just done it spread out, fund saved for gaming/entertainment purposes, fortunate to have a very good paying job etc? With houses and kids I can't see it being terrible easy to do unless your good with your funds. 
Even if it wasn't spread out over time that is a little over 1k gaming equipment, probably 3k worth of tvs, and 3 recliners however much those cost.  6-7k is a drop in the bucket for a footballguy.  We all make boatloads off of early investment tips, like wheat pennies.  Besides, it's a small investment for the lifelong memories of getting tbagged by your kids on the big screen in your own mancave.

I would get rid of all the old equipment, upgrade it all and start practicing for when they come home for the holidays.

Connect your xbox directly to the router with a CAT5 cable. 

Maybe you cant have it wired like that all the time but you can buy longer CAT5 cables even if its just temporary to do big DLs or system updates. It will go from hours and hours to minutes. 
Don't listen to this guy Cat5e is the way to go......

You have to realize the demographics of these boards is generally 40 to 50 year old men with well paying jobs.

Combination of all of those for me.  I usually buy the newest Xbox when it comes out.  The boys bought one of the Xbox's together with gift money. I think I bought the third when prices dropped at one point.  All of the TVs are on sale, decent for gaming but definitely not top of the line.  I get a decent bonus every year that I do not include in the budget, so I allow myself to buy something stupid with part of it and not feel guilty about.

My set up is definitely not something I could have done when the kids were younger and money was tighter.

Definitely not making chet money, but not doing too bad for myself.

Definitely not making chet money, but not doing too bad for myself.

Yeah I'm not targeting people just curious how people are affording it. I was curious as I was looking for places to rent around work possible to live on my own. You know only expenses is food, get myself maybe 1 bedroom or studio place, TV with internet and futon etc. Without taxes and working OT (Can easily get with my produce manager) I make $2,800K almost a month. 850 for rent (Forgot if this included all utilities or not) I come away with 1880 or so for food. Stuff I think that ok but I'm also worried thats not enough either to cover expenses. That doesn't include all my subs for streaming services and stuff I use which I'd use maybe instead of cable plus phone bill.

Living at home has its advantages but when you mom's new work from home office is the same basement you want to become a man cave if I'm home when she's off it's hard. Also she does a lot of confidential work for hospital and everything with patients I can overhear if down there. So not an ideal situation. 

Users who are viewing this thread