What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (5 Viewers)

I am back to playing Dont Starve Together.

Playing with my brother in law and nephew twice a week. I think we have a decent chance at taking down all of the bosses this time. We are in winter of year 2 and have quite the arsenal of magic weapons/armor and healing.

First time ever playing 3 player, it is quite a bit easier than 2 player.

I am back to playing Dont Starve Together.

Playing with my brother in law and nephew twice a week. I think we have a decent chance at taking down all of the bosses this time. We are in winter of year 2 and have quite the arsenal of magic weapons/armor and healing.

First time ever playing 3 player, it is quite a bit easier than 2 player.
That sounds fun.

Okay used some of the tips on here and I am actually leveling up and getting better. Took down my first boss in that one cave I was suggested to go to. Basically I just sic'd my wolves on him and he died. The problem was then I just got stuck. I wasn't powerful enough to do anything else. So I pretty much would go into that gate ruins in front of the castle where the soldiers are and I would just practice backstabbing, but sure enough if I caused any ruckus, the whole army would come down on top of me

Since I didn't have many ruins so to speak of, I just decided to do a suicide run on my horse and try to get as much of the map revealed and lost grace sites exposed. I died a lot again as I would accidentally run into some massive dragon or crab thing that would one hit kill me.

So I decided to use one of the ruin hacks to at least get something going, but even then I screwed that up. I managed to get the mace that causes blood loss. I teleported over to some remote island where it seems every step there were bosses and big things that had evil intentions. I picked up the Gold Pickled Fowl Foot and the plan was to go to this one massive dragon who doesn't ever move and you go back by his armpit and you just hit him for like 5 minutes until he ultimately bleeds out and you get massive ruins. However, right before he dies, you are supposed to use the fowl foot to get like triple the ruins. Well, who didn't use the fowl foot in time? If you guessed me, you would be correct. However, I did manage to get 70k in ruins. Since I was still in the land of every thing can kill me, I quickly fast traveled back to the the beginning of the game and that is where I am now with 72k in ruins and I don't want to go anywhere before spending them, for fear I will die and lose them all. I am looking through videos on character builds and so forth now.

As an aside, some of my daughters' favorite childhood memories (they are now 18 and 23) were watching me play video games badly. My 18 year old has been having the time of her life watching my Elden Ring efforts. She has suggested I start my own You Tube channel as there are plenty of gamers who play BAD video games, but I can be the guy who plays GREAT games horribly.

So the finally released the remastered Goldeneye port that had been in legal hell for 15+ years. It's available on Switch and Xbox. Switch has online multiplayer whereas Xbox doesn't. Not sure why but again probably legal reasons. Unfortunately the controls on the Switch are absolutely terrible. They have many options but the mapping seems so backwards. Xbox controls work as a normal FPS would on console. Would have liked to play it on the switch in portable mode casually but doesn't seem possible with the way the controls are right now.

Okay used some of the tips on here and I am actually leveling up and getting better. Took down my first boss in that one cave I was suggested to go to. Basically I just sic'd my wolves on him and he died. The problem was then I just got stuck. I wasn't powerful enough to do anything else. So I pretty much would go into that gate ruins in front of the castle where the soldiers are and I would just practice backstabbing, but sure enough if I caused any ruckus, the whole army would come down on top of me

Since I didn't have many ruins so to speak of, I just decided to do a suicide run on my horse and try to get as much of the map revealed and lost grace sites exposed. I died a lot again as I would accidentally run into some massive dragon or crab thing that would one hit kill me.

So I decided to use one of the ruin hacks to at least get something going, but even then I screwed that up. I managed to get the mace that causes blood loss. I teleported over to some remote island where it seems every step there were bosses and big things that had evil intentions. I picked up the Gold Pickled Fowl Foot and the plan was to go to this one massive dragon who doesn't ever move and you go back by his armpit and you just hit him for like 5 minutes until he ultimately bleeds out and you get massive ruins. However, right before he dies, you are supposed to use the fowl foot to get like triple the ruins. Well, who didn't use the fowl foot in time? If you guessed me, you would be correct. However, I did manage to get 70k in ruins. Since I was still in the land of every thing can kill me, I quickly fast traveled back to the the beginning of the game and that is where I am now with 72k in ruins and I don't want to go anywhere before spending them, for fear I will die and lose them all. I am looking through videos on character builds and so forth now.

As an aside, some of my daughters' favorite childhood memories (they are now 18 and 23) were watching me play video games badly. My 18 year old has been having the time of her life watching my Elden Ring efforts. She has suggested I start my own You Tube channel as there are plenty of gamers who play BAD video games, but I can be the guy who plays GREAT games horribly.

When in doubt level up Vigor early....it helps you from being one-shot and at least gives you a chance against tougher opponents. I would worry too much about your build if you are still early game until you figure out what play style or weapon you really like. You will be able to respawn at a certain point in the game and redistribute your attributes after you've fought a lot more and figure out what works and doesn't for you. My first playthrough was the first for me on any kind of this type of game...I was like you and didn't have a clue what I was doing. I started as a STR build and eventually wound up a DEX build as I got tired of trying to bonk my way to victory.

I am starting to feel pretty good about the game. I have killed a couple bosses. That flame strike spell rocks!! I finally killed the big giant inside the castle gate (where the soldiers are outside), but I was so pissed that he re-spawns. I managed to lose about 20k ruins fighting I think they are called Kaiden Sellswords--just east of the soldier's area and two of them are on horseback. I took down all of them and the final guy knocked me out. Of course all my ruins were inside their camp and I died trying to sneak back in--I was kicking myself because I should have just suicide ran in with the horse and grabbed them.

The game really puts you in your place. After I killed Endtree Burial Watchdog, I was strutting around like a boss and was brought back down to a complete noob status when I wandered into that Kaiden camp. I am trying to figure out where to go now that isn't that tough.

Ok going to start:

Metro Exodus tonight. Any feedback, reviews from the FBG crew?

After we complete this one we are starting a fresh brand new play through of:

The Witcher 3 (PS5 enhanced patch)

Sports games being played on a regular basis:

MLB The Show 20 Yankees Year 7 and various classic rosters

NBA 2K23 Jordan Era 1991 Trail Blazers Year 1

Madden 16 Dolphins Year 6 and 1986 Dolphins Season Replay

I am starting to feel pretty good about the game. I have killed a couple bosses. That flame strike spell rocks!! I finally killed the big giant inside the castle gate (where the soldiers are outside), but I was so pissed that he re-spawns. I managed to lose about 20k ruins fighting I think they are called Kaiden Sellswords--just east of the soldier's area and two of them are on horseback. I took down all of them and the final guy knocked me out. Of course all my ruins were inside their camp and I died trying to sneak back in--I was kicking myself because I should have just suicide ran in with the horse and grabbed them.

The game really puts you in your place. After I killed Endtree Burial Watchdog, I was strutting around like a boss and was brought back down to a complete noob status when I wandered into that Kaiden camp. I am trying to figure out where to go now that isn't that tough.
Started playing Elden Ring a couple of weeks ago. I started as a Vagabond and just found melee to be too difficult for me. I couldn't get the defensive mechanics down with the shield, and all I would wind up doing was somersaulting all over the place and deplete my stamina. I switched to an Astrologer/Mage and I'm a lot happier with using spells from a distance.

Levelling up was really slow though, at first. I found a good place to farm is in northeast Caelid (if you've made it that far). You can head to the area between the Bestial Sanctum and Farum Greatbridge area and there are these shadow looking dudes with spears that are pretty easy to take out while you're riding your horse. Just need spells or bows to do it. Each kill is 1000 runes and there are enough of those guys in the area where you can earn like 10-15K runes every 5 minutes or so by respawning at one of the two nearby Site of Grace locations. I leveled up my character to Level 50 within a couple of hours.

This game is fun as hell but SOOOO difficult.

Started playing Elden Ring a couple of weeks ago. I started as a Vagabond and just found melee to be too difficult for me. I couldn't get the defensive mechanics down with the shield, and all I would wind up doing was somersaulting all over the place and deplete my stamina. I switched to an Astrologer/Mage and I'm a lot happier with using spells from a distance.

Levelling up was really slow though, at first. I found a good place to farm is in northeast Caelid (if you've made it that far). You can head to the area between the Bestial Sanctum and Farum Greatbridge area and there are these shadow looking dudes with spears that are pretty easy to take out while you're riding your horse. Just need spells or bows to do it. Each kill is 1000 runes and there are enough of those guys in the area where you can earn like 10-15K runes every 5 minutes or so by respawning at one of the two nearby Site of Grace locations. I leveled up my character to Level 50 within a couple of hours.

I played about 80 hours. Never finished it. It just got a little too grindy for my taste. The game is really good though and was easily the longest I ever stuck with a souls game. Fantastic map and world and there is absolutely zero hand holding.

I played about 80 hours. Never finished it. It just got a little too grindy for my taste. The game is really good though and was easily the longest I ever stuck with a souls game. Fantastic map and world and there is absolutely zero hand holding.

For me - souls are my favorite games of all time but Elden Ring is just too big for me. I’m going to try and finish it but it’s hard for anything to keep my attention long enough to not put it down, come back and totally forget what’s was going on.

If anybody is on the fence about the Dead Space remake . . . yes, this is a good one. I'm only two chapters in, but it's excellent so far. I remember it well enough that I can tell they remixed a few areas, and they changed the in-game economy by quite a bit, but the core gameplay and atmosphere are the same as what you remember. My only complaint is that this game is dark, significantly darker than the original. I had to jack the brightness up to be able to see what I'm doing. The darkness is adding a little artificial difficulty, but that's just as well since I don't think I'd find this very challenging on "normal" given how well I know the original.

Ok going to start:

Metro Exodus tonight. Any feedback, reviews from the FBG crew?
Played it around the end of '21. Good game, very similar to the first two. Metro games always being the tension.

There's a level toward the end of the game thru a pitch black deserted subway that I had to take a break every 15 mins or so cause I was so tense going around every corner I had to remind myself to breath lol. Probably the best single chapter of the series IMO.

For those still thinking about a PS5, Sony has announced they are going to take down the PSPlus Collection in May. This is about 20 great games from the PS4 years that you currently can get for free as a new PS5 owner if you also get a membership to PSPlus (their equivalent to Xbox Live GamePass.) As someone who never had a PS4, tons of great games I missed in that list: Spider-Man, HZD, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, etc. you can “claim” the games and then they are yours forever, don’t have to download and play them all by May. PS5 console availability is much higher now as well.

Watched a few reviews for Hogwarts Legacy today, which seem very positive. Looks interesting and combat looks better than I expected.

I'm going to wait until after full release this week and will probably be purchasing later this month. Unless the rollout goes poorly.

Watched a few reviews for Hogwarts Legacy today, which seem very positive. Looks interesting and combat looks better than I expected.

I'm going to wait until after full release this week and will probably be purchasing later this month. Unless the rollout goes poorly.
I like this type of game, but I'm just barely old enough to have pretty much missed out on Harry Potter completely. I mean, I know they cast spells and fly around and stuff, but I know absolutely none of the lore whatsoever. The last time I tried to jump into an RPG without knowing the backstory was Witcher 3 and I could never get into that game because I didn't know who any of the characters were or what they were doing.

I'll probably keep an eye on this one and put it in "rainy day" pile for when it goes on sale. Will be interested to see user reviews though.

I like this type of game, but I'm just barely old enough to have pretty much missed out on Harry Potter completely. I mean, I know they cast spells and fly around and stuff, but I know absolutely none of the lore whatsoever. The last time I tried to jump into an RPG without knowing the backstory was Witcher 3 and I could never get into that game because I didn't know who any of the characters were or what they were doing.

I'll probably keep an eye on this one and put it in "rainy day" pile for when it goes on sale. Will be interested to see user reviews though.

FWIW: it is set in the 1800’s well before the events of the books or movies. No idea if it will connect plot wise in any way, and there likely is a lot of lore that HP fans would obviously be more familiar with, but still may be easier for someone new to the story can follow.

I am curious to see how it turns out, videos look really good but I won’t do pre-orders anymore after so many disappointing games (and a massive game backlog too.
) Also wondering if it gets review bombed, lots of anti-J.K. Rowling sentiment these days due to her very public stance on Trans-issues.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I tried playing Witcher 3 around 5-6 years ago and just didn't get into it. In the time since then, I continue to see how it consistently ranks as one of the best games of the past 10 years, but I never went back to it.

I'm not up on all the lore either. I read the books (at least like the first 4) when I was in college or shortly after. From the reviews you don't need to be totally up to speed on the lore. My wife has only seen the movies and she's interested in watching me play the game based on this review.

I gave Pentiment another try and generally am glad I did. The first hour or so is really boring and there are a couple things about the interface that were driving me nuts before I figured out you could change them in the settings. But the story gets pretty interesting. If you enjoyed Firewatch or similar games in the past, I think you’d like this. Not for everyone though.

Last edited:
Deleted Metro Exodus. Just was not feeling it.

We started Dragon Age 3 Inquisition.

Running with a female Qutari Mage who is a hot middle aged woman hell bent on destroying anything in her path and finding a female lover.

Deleted Metro Exodus. Just was not feeling it.

We started Dragon Age 3 Inquisition.

Running with a female Qutari Mage who is a hot middle aged woman hell bent on destroying anything in her path and finding a female lover.

Great game.

The Knight Enchanter was a beast before they nerfed it in one of the later patches years after the game was released. It is probably still the strongest mage build, but before the nerf it was by far the strongest of any build.

Pre-ordered Hogwarts Legacy, picked it up Monday night and started it yesterday. Absolutely loving it.

I doubt my system can run it. How is it different from all the other MMOs?
It’s a singe player open world campaign. No online multi-player.

All the open world campaign games feel similar to an extent. Same pig, different make up. That’s what finally made me sick of Assassin’s Creed.

That being said, if you enjoy the Harry Potter stuff, it’s been an absolute blast.

Pre-ordered Hogwarts Legacy, picked it up Monday night and started it yesterday. Absolutely loving it.

All the open world campaign games feel similar to an extent. Same pig, different make up.

That being said, if you enjoy the Harry Potter stuff, it’s been an absolute blast.
What if you don't know the first thing about Harry Potter but you're looking to scratch that Elden Ring/Skyrim itch? Obviously fans of the franchise are going to get more out of this than somebody like me would. I just want to know if it will be inaccessible to people who aren't fans. I had that problem with Witcher 3 when I picked it up hoping for something like Elder Scrolls.

All the open world campaign games feel similar to an extent. Same pig, different make up.

What if you don't know the first thing about Harry Potter but you're looking to scratch that Elden Ring/Skyrim itch? Obviously fans of the franchise are going to get more out of this than somebody like me would. I just want to know if it will be inaccessible to people who aren't fans. I had that problem with Witcher 3 when I picked it up hoping for something like Elder Scrolls.
I grew up watching the movies. Read a couple of the books. So I'm going to be biased. Some of the fun IS running through the castle, and exploring things you saw in the movies.

That being said, at the end of the day, you're a young wizard or witch in a world of wizards, witches, ghosts and goblins. You fight with magic spells instead of swords or axes.
It's a whole new story, As best I can tell so far the main characters aren't in this. So it's not a situation of you're not going to recognize someone any less than I am.

For those still thinking about a PS5, Sony has announced they are going to take down the PSPlus Collection in May. This is about 20 great games from the PS4 years that you currently can get for free as a new PS5 owner if you also get a membership to PSPlus (their equivalent to Xbox Live GamePass.) As someone who never had a PS4, tons of great games I missed in that list: Spider-Man, HZD, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, etc. you can “claim” the games and then they are yours forever, don’t have to download and play them all by May. PS5 console availability is much higher now as well.
So I don't have a PS5 yet (still on PS3 - raising kids got in the way of video game time) and the consoles with DVD player are finally in stock. I'm looking at an article on this and it says clearly "The games will then be available to download and play whenever you want as long as your PS Plus subscription is still active". So if I need to keep a PS Plus membership going, what is the benefit of this announcement? (I'm totally naive btw - does everyone have a PS Plus membership that they pay each month? )

Bought Hogwarts for my daughter. I'm glad I didn't get it for myself don't think it would have been fun for me. She loves it. I'm not saying you can't enjoy it not being a fan of the material but 100% will if you are. The music and backdrop is done very well

So I don't have a PS5 yet (still on PS3 - raising kids got in the way of video game time) and the consoles with DVD player are finally in stock. I'm looking at an article on this and it says clearly "The games will then be available to download and play whenever you want as long as your PS Plus subscription is still active". So if I need to keep a PS Plus membership going, what is the benefit of this announcement? (I'm totally naive btw - does everyone have a PS Plus membership that they pay each month? )
I read it as, the window to download these games for free (as long as you have a PS Plus subscription) is closing. Meaning, once May comes if you never downloaded them you wont be able to get them for free anymore even if you have a PS+ subscription. If you did download them before May, you can keep playing them forever (unless you cancel your PS+ subscription).

PS+ is required for multiplayer online games. We pay for it because my son plays a lot of games with his friends online.

I read it as, the window to download these games for free (as long as you have a PS Plus subscription) is closing. Meaning, once May comes if you never downloaded them you wont be able to get them for free anymore even if you have a PS+ subscription. If you did download them before May, you can keep playing them forever (unless you cancel your PS+ subscription).

PS+ is required for multiplayer online games. We pay for it because my son plays a lot of games with his friends online.
I think I understand now - so it's not getting the games for free because you still have to maintain ps plus, but still a good deal because you can get 20 + games for much cheaper than buying outright. Right?

I think I understand now - so it's not getting the games for free because you still have to maintain ps plus, but still a good deal because you can get 20 + games for much cheaper than buying outright. Right?
Think of the free games as a bonus to what ps+ really provides, online access for multi-player games.

Think of the free games as a bonus to what ps+ really provides, online access for multi-player games.
Thanks - ps3 has had online access for free so I didn't grasp this initially

Thanks - ps3 has had online access for free so I didn't grasp this initially
All the articles I read are similar to the one you posted where you don’t have to download but you do have to “claim” them before May. When I did it, I signed up and went to that page where it listed the games and clicked on every one. They show as added to my library even though I’ve only downloaded a couple of them so far.

The other thing PS+ provides if you keep the subscription is lots of other games for free (just like Xbox Gamepass.) They just changed the service last year and now there are 3 tiers, the higher ones cost more but get you a bunch of games in a library (once again like Gamepass.) the basic level of PS+ is more like Xbox Live Gold where you get a couple of free games a month you have to claim that month. I just saw an article yesterday that they are adding Horizon Zero Dawn: Forbidden West this month for the 2nd & 3rd tier memberships, and that game is only a year old.

was hoping someone could suggest a PC turn-based game? Any genre.

My son and I share the same Windows 11 workstation. I thought it would be fun if I could find a game where I would play for an hour, then he could login and play for an hour and react to my moves. Definitely a competition, not a collaboration. Thanks.

My son and I share the same Windows 11 workstation. I thought it would be fun if I could find a game where I would play for an hour, then he could login and play for an hour and react to my moves. Definitely a competition, not a collaboration. Thanks.

This will be hard, if not impossible. There are plenty of turn based games that are hotseat - you each take a turn. But each playing for an hour (and presumably taking multiple turns?) Never heard of that.

This will be hard, if not impossible. There are plenty of turn based games that are hotseat - you each take a turn. But each playing for an hour (and presumably taking multiple turns?) Never heard of that.
Agreed and I would add, why not just find a single player game that you both enjoy and challenge each other to get to whatever achievement?

Agreed and I would add, why not just find a single player game that you both enjoy and challenge each other to get to whatever achievement?
That's a good idea.
I was trying to think of ways we could challenge each other using the same PC.

If you or your son like WWII type action, maybe the good ol' Combat Mission series?

Isn’t Civ like what he’s describing?

Isn’t Civ like what he’s describing?

Not really. It's I go / you go. One turn at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread