What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (2 Viewers)

Currently playing:

MLB The Show 23 - 2024 Yankees Year 1. I finally moved on from MLB 20 after 4 straight years playing that beloved game. I got in 7 full seasons with the 2017 Yankees franchise I started back on MLB 17. MLB 20 was the last version to have Year to Year saves.....god I miss that feature. I picked up 23 for $16 back in January and began a brand new Yankees fracnhise and added my son to their roster as their 19 years old phenom SS. Having a blast. I also downloaded a full 93 man 1990 roster and started a Royals franchise and added myself as....you guessed it a 19 year old 3B phenom on the Royals and playing alongside guys like George Brett and Bo Jackson. These will be two long term franchises I will embark on.

Rise of Ronin - Just started this game and it's awesome. Ghost of Tsushima was easily my favorite game of 2022 (I think that is when it came out) and this takes place a century later in the historical timeline. It is not a sequel to Ghost.....but in that genre. It's great so far as I am only 4 hours into it.

Dragons Dogma II - Gonna start this after I complete Ronin.

Baldurs Gate 3 - I got thru 50% before deciding I hated my character build after I figured out how to really play this game. We are going to do a full restart with a new build later this year.

Star Wars Battlefield 1 and 2 remastered for PS5 - Fun fun fun. The original Battlefield games for Star Wars.......lot's of simplistic old school fun here. Playing thru both games and the single player campaigns.

Planned purchases for 2024:

College Football 25 - This game is 11 years in the making......85 man rosters.....the sole focus was Dynasty mode from all I have been reading, I pray the gameplay matches the what is already shaping up to be stelar presentation package. It should be a great game

Star Wars Outlaws - 3rd person Ubisoft Star Wars game about being a scum bag outlaw.......should be a bunch of fun.

Got myself a new laptop recently and catching up on a backlog of free games from Xbox GamePass, fired up the Resident Evil:2 remake to start. The original was my first intro into the franchise way back in ‘98 and it scared the pants off me then. New version is dialed up to 11, had to turn it off last night and give myself some time before I went to bed lol.

I'm playing 7 Days to Die.
If there are others who play online games, then they'll get me when I say that I used to host a server on my PC, but the game would lag a lot if there were more than 5 players online. Now I rent a dedicated server from https://7d2d.net/ and there's no lag even when the server is full. Do you guys do the same, or just use the public servers?

Last edited:
Pre-ordered NCAA football.... Can't wait. It will suck but still all in

Trying to decide what to do. I LOVED the old games and would love to get some dynasty mode back in my life. The previews that came out last week sound AWESOME.

My concern, like with all other sports games these days is that the single player experience will be unpolished/unbalanced because they just focus so damn hard on the stupid Ultimate Team modes. (so they can sell card packs to all the little kiddies) I used to love FIFA games, but the game play in the new ones always sucks (even with slider tweaks) because all the game play mechanics are balanced for Ultimate team/online play. Hoping the same thing doesn't happen here.

Not crazy about buying a whole new system though. I only have an Xbox one. If I take the plunge, I guess I'll just go with the cheaper Series S rather than going all out for the X. And hopefully some other games I'm interested in will come out at some point soon. Most of what I play is available on PC, so I generally go there if I can.

Now.....if 2K ever brings back the college hoops series (doubt it....as it was never as successful as the NCAA football series) they can just take all my money.

Playing Dragons Dogma 2 on PS5 and addicted in a bad way.

Love love love this game.

I tried this for about an hour or two and it just seemed so generic plot-wise and game-wise. It gets better I assume?
It’s all about adventuring around the realm with your party. It gets so good. The conversations between different pawns are hillarious. The pawn system is what really makes this game tick.

This rewards people who love to discover an adventure around a massive map and just have a great time in combat. Your party mix is really a key to your success.

The higher you level up the more massive of the boss fights become and let me tell you the creatures and bosses in this game are second to none. Just keep going and go deeper and deeper.

Another major strong point of dragons dogma is the AI of your pawns and party. You don’t have to babysit them. They have minds of their own and are able to help you in a lot of ways.

I picked up Helldivers 2 a couple of weeks ago. It's not the sort of game I typically play, but it's been a lot of fun so far. I play with randoms so you do get the occasional party where nobody is doing the objectives and I feel like I'm having to do everything on my own, but by and large the player base seems pretty chill. That helps a lot, because TKs are just a fact of life in this game and I think it would be insufferable if people yelled at you over chat every time there's a friendly fire incident.

If you're not familiar with the title, it's a four-person co-op shooter, basically "Starship Troopers: the Video Game." Your team spreads managed democracy across the galaxy by gunning down hundreds of bugs or autonomous robots, depending on what planet you're on. There's nothing more to it than that, but the gameplay is great.

3 days until the Xbox games showcase. Hoping they announce something Gears related which it sounds likely that they will. Either Gears 6 or a bulk remaster like the Master Chief Collection. I would be stoked for either.

I tried this for about an hour or two and it just seemed so generic plot-wise and game-wise. It gets better I assume?
It’s all about adventuring around the realm with your party. It gets so good. The conversations between different pawns are hillarious. The pawn system is what really makes this game tick.

This rewards people who love to discover an adventure around a massive map and just have a great time in combat. Your party mix is really a key to your success.

The higher you level up the more massive of the boss fights become and let me tell you the creatures and bosses in this game are second to none. Just keep going and go deeper and deeper.

Another major strong point of dragons dogma is the AI of your pawns and party. You don’t have to babysit them. They have minds of their own and are able to help you in a lot of ways.

This game is a LOT of fun, but it's also really frustrating, but those frustrations are also charming / part of the fun.

Like fast travel - it's limited, but that also makes it much more engaging. Or you're fighting some annoying harpies, and then some wolves join in, then a freaken griffin lands just as you finally win the fight. Of you lose your main pawn temporarily and they had the only camping kit (you gave it to them because they are heavy and take up valuable inventory space), and NOW YOU CAN'T CAMP and the sun is setting and that's when the worst monsters come out and you're far from town and you didn't buy a fast travel token because they are 10k and man, how am I getting out of this?

Stuff like the above really sets this game apart. Like I said, it's frustrating, but in a fun way.

It also has the best spell effects ever. And the pawn system is fun. You have a party of four - you, your main pawn (who levels up with you) and two other pawns (who don't level with you). So you're swapping out two party members every few levels. This lets you mix and match different skills, etc.

Really good game. Beat it once, and I'll go back to it in a few months when there's a gaming lull.

This game is a LOT of fun, but it's also really frustrating, but those frustrations are also charming / part of the fun.

Like fast travel - it's limited, but that also makes it much more engaging. Or you're fighting some annoying harpies, and then some wolves join in, then a freaken griffin lands just as you finally win the fight. Of you lose your main pawn temporarily and they had the only camping kit (you gave it to them because they are heavy and take up valuable inventory space), and NOW YOU CAN'T CAMP and the sun is setting and that's when the worst monsters come out and you're far from town and you didn't buy a fast travel token because they are 10k and man, how am I getting out of this?

Stuff like the above really sets this game apart. Like I said, it's frustrating, but in a fun way.

It also has the best spell effects ever. And the pawn system is fun. You have a party of four - you, your main pawn (who levels up with you) and two other pawns (who don't level with you). So you're swapping out two party members every few levels. This lets you mix and match different skills, etc.

Really good game. Beat it once, and I'll go back to it in a few months when there's a gaming lull.
Indeed. All great points.

I will play this multiple times with different builds much like I did Skyrim. This is a perfect mix of deep RPG elements and hack n slash combat. The game is deep but not overwhelming at all.

It rewards discovery and adventuring and that is what I love to do in RPG’s. Traverse the map and do what I want. The quests are pretty good too. But the monsters are bad ***. I love em.

I must not have gotten far enough with it then. Sounds like you dont play it for the story, which is what I tend to like in games. I can get into a combat/exploration focused game, but it's a different mood for me.

Never played a game in early access before but I just couldn’t resist Hades 2. I’ve played for about 35 hours, it’s fantastic. There was a big update earlier this week but I haven’t been able to play since. If you want the story to be done before you buy it’s not there yet.

I must not have gotten far enough with it then. Sounds like you dont play it for the story, which is what I tend to like in games. I can get into a combat/exploration focused game, but it's a different mood for me.
Oh I love great story telling….this one is ok in that department….nothing like the scale of say Baulders Gate 3 but good enough to keep me adventuring across the realm.

I did not enjoy the game but this game has top 3, possibly even the best collection of enemies.

ETA - I see now that @Todem beat me to it.

Oh I love great story telling….this one is ok in that department….nothing like the scale of say Baulders Gate 3 but good enough to keep me adventuring across the realm.

No story and the pawns actually killed it for me. They seemed generic and boring.

Playing Mass Effect 1 Remastered. Never played them the first time around. Even with all the hype this series has received over the years, it still has far exceeded my expectations

Great games, try to avoid spoilers if you can. Amazing storyline, especially the first two games.
Is this the same as Mass Effect Legendary Edition currently found on Game Pass?

Yeah, I think Legendary is the whole trilogy.

I’m envious of anyone playing it for the first time. Such a great game(s).

I bought the Mass Effect Legendary Edition on Steam during a sale a while back and haven't touched it yet. Sounds like I should make some time and jump in.

Playing Mass Effect 1 Remastered. Never played them the first time around. Even with all the hype this series has received over the years, it still has far exceeded my expectations

Great games, try to avoid spoilers if you can. Amazing storyline, especially the first two games.

Thanks.

The most recent COD just isn't holding up like the previous versions. Looking to fill a void. This might be something for me to try.

Looking forward to College Football 25.

Pros and Cons these days of purchasing game via Disc vs Download?

If I do purchase via disc, will I likely receive on or near release date? Is there a better place to usually preorder from? I saw that Walmart is selling it with an exclusive tin cover that looks kinda cool, otherwise all other stores seem to be selling the same thing.

Thanks.

The most recent COD just isn't holding up like the previous versions. Looking to fill a void. This might be something for me to try.
Great game. Commander Shepard is my favorite video game protagonist. Liked how decisions made while playing come back into play as you advance thru the series.

If I do purchase via disc, will I likely receive on or near release date? Is there a better place to usually preorder from? I saw that Walmart is selling it with an exclusive tin cover that looks kinda cool, otherwise all other stores seem to be selling the same thing.
Still looking for opinions on this

I don't buy games often anymore, but I still prefer buying discs.

I don't buy games often anymore, but I still prefer buying discs.
I play 100% on PC these days, and physical media isn't even an option. At this point, I'm used to it, but it's still kind of weird.

I purchase physical media for the Switch because Nintendo does not lower the prices of their games even years later. They typically have pretty good trade in value at gamestop.

Sports games never had good trade in value, even back in the super nintendo days. Last years video game was always in the 5 dollar box. You might as well buy digital for convenience.

You will get this disc on release date - i should say should get it

I only buy disc games now when they are deeply discounted. For example, I forget exactly which game it was but digital was almost still full price but I bought the disc for $20 brand new on a sale. (obviously game been out a while)

The pro for digital is you can actually download the game early but it won't let you play it until release day (assuming you don't buy some special early play version). So it will be on the console ready to go

NES Odyssey going on right now, a community effort to beat every NES game within a week, just over 48 hours in and we're already up at nearly 600 games finished, I've done about a half dozen myself and got a couple of small personal best improvements, including the one game I hold the world record in (although that's more because nobody else has the bollocks to attempt the game rather than that I'm any good at it)

Users who are viewing this thread