What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vince Young on Late Night (1 Viewer)

Helm

Fruitcake
He says first he's going to sit down with his family. Next he is going to talk with his pastor. Then he'll get together with Texas head coach Mack Brown to discuss his options. Also he wants to see how the people in the NFL feel about him. Then Jay Leno says, "doesn't the Houston Texans have the first pick in the draft?". Young replys by laughing and saying, "yeah, that will effect my decision too". From what I could pick up he is very close with his family, which cosists of a mom and two sisters. They sound like they would like him to finish college, and I think he wants to too. So my prediction is that he'll be back to wreak some havok in my Huskers big 12 next year.

He says first he's going to sit down with his family.  Next he is going to talk with his pastor.  Then he'll get together with Texas head coach Mack Brown to discuss his options.  Also he wants to see how the people in the NFL feel about him.
He actually already started talking to "Big Papa"..Steve McNair..McNair was at the game and just flew back last night. They are said to be very close :D

Last edited by a moderator:
He'll be a top 3 pick and get a $15 million signing bonus. He's not going back to college - he just won a title, has nothing left to prove at the collegiate level. Why risk injury, first of all, and second, why give talent evaluators another year to find all the warts on him? His stock will never be higher than it is right now - no matter what he does next year, Heisman or not. By next year, you'll hear twice the clamoring about his throwing motion, etc.Leinart should have gone pro last year. He'd have been the #1 pick where now he might be #2 or #3. He could be playing in SF in his home state, rather than headed for New Orleans or Tennessee. It's great that he loved college enough to come back, and I applaud the decision, but I think it was the wrong one. No 2nd Heisman, no 3rd national title - he should have just turned pro. The injury risk he took didn't justify the season he had. Someone will mention this to Vince Young.

He should go if theyre going to give him a Eli Manning type contract.
He should leave. Look at Leinart: Yes, he'll still be a very high pick but had he left last year he would have been the #1 pick. This year? His stock has dropped every so slightly thanks to some concerns about his accuracy and arm strength (saw to many "Scott Mitchell joke" comparisons after the Rose Bowl game, and while I think that's laughable, it could affect perception of those drafting, IMO). Vince, meanwhile, can parlay everyone's (still fresh) memories of his incredible Rose Bowl performance into an Eli-type deal, easily. If he comes back to UT and has a good, not great year, that, combined with the issues about his throwing motion that alreayd exist, could make him slide a few notches down.edit: evilgrin and i must've been writing at the same time. the leinart example can't be overlooked by vince and his handlers.

He'll be a top 3 pick and get a $15 million signing bonus. He's not going back to college - he just won a title, has nothing left to prove at the collegiate level. Why risk injury, first of all, and second, why give talent evaluators another year to find all the warts on him? His stock will never be higher than it is right now - no matter what he does next year, Heisman or not. By next year, you'll hear twice the clamoring about his throwing motion, etc.

Leinart should have gone pro last year. He'd have been the #1 pick where now he might be #2 or #3. He could be playing in SF in his home state, rather than headed for New Orleans or Tennessee. It's great that he loved college enough to come back, and I applaud the decision, but I think it was the wrong one. No 2nd Heisman, no 3rd national title - he should have just turned pro. The injury risk he took didn't justify the season he had. Someone will mention this to Vince Young.
Great points. Plus, I would add that if Leinhart went pro last year, he would have had another year of income. Their careers are finite.

He'll be a top 3 pick and get a $15 million signing bonus.  He's not going back to college - he just won a title, has nothing left to prove at the collegiate level.  Why risk injury, first of all, and second, why give talent evaluators another year to find all the warts on him?  His stock will never be higher than it is right now - no matter what he does next year, Heisman or not.  By next year, you'll hear twice the clamoring about his throwing motion, etc.

Leinart should have gone pro last year.  He'd have been the #1 pick where now he might be #2 or #3.  He could be playing in SF in his home state, rather than headed for New Orleans or Tennessee.  It's great that he loved college enough to come back, and I applaud the decision, but I think it was the wrong one.  No 2nd Heisman, no 3rd national title - he should have just turned pro.  The injury risk he took didn't justify the season he had.  Someone will mention this to Vince Young.
Great points. Plus, I would add that if Leinhart went pro last year, he would have had another year of income. Their careers are finite.
:yes: Plus, if I recall correctly what I've read, the Leinart's aren't exactly poor people, so the financial issue likely wasn't much of an issue at all. I'm pretty sure I read in SI about Vince Young's childhood/family and don't think they come from great wealth. I could be wrong about this, but I'd think the impetus of a huge signing bonus would be more likely to sway Young than Leinart.

He says first he's going to sit down with his family. Next he is going to talk with his pastor. Then he'll get together with Texas head coach Mack Brown to discuss his options. Also he wants to see how the people in the NFL feel about him. Then Jay Leno says, "doesn't the Houston Texans have the first pick in the draft?". Young replys by laughing and saying, "yeah, that will effect my decision too".

From what I could pick up he is very close with his family, which cosists of a mom and two sisters. They sound like they would like him to finish college, and I think he wants to too. So my prediction is that he'll be back to wreak some havok in my Huskers big 12 next year.
He' really into his family, huh?...

MAYBE (dripping with a sarcastic tone), he'll just start working on the contract negotiations w/ the Texans NOW, so he won't be holding out during training camp. MAYBE (sarcasm again), he'd like to STAY WITH HIS FAMILY right around the corner from his practice/training/playing facilities.

All for the low, low price of $4M/yr and a $20M signing bonus vs... go to school.

Hmmm,,,,,,what would YOU do? :excited:

Its not like Houston wont have a shot at the #1 next season too ;)
:goodposting: But I hope not........
:goodposting: I 2nd that. Unless they make HUGE strides in that O-line, neither Bush nor Young will do much without some solid blocking. No one does much in the NFL without a solid O-line.

I don't know what a degree in physical education would really do for him. He went to school to play in the NFL and his draft stock will never be higher than it is right now. There are reasons teams should be scared of drafting him. 1) His delivery, and thats not going to change with more college 2) Ability to read defense .... not going to change with more college 3) Speed of the game

I don't know what a degree in physical education would really do for him. He went to school to play in the NFL and his draft stock will never be higher than it is right now. There are reasons teams should be scared of drafting him. 1) His delivery, and thats not going to change with more college 2) Ability to read defense .... not going to change with more college 3) Speed of the game
Good point, I wasn't aware of what his degree was... if football doesn't work out he could lean on teaching 5th graders jumping jacks!

He'll be a top 3 pick and get a $15 million signing bonus.  He's not going back to college - he just won a title, has nothing left to prove at the collegiate level.  Why risk injury, first of all, and second, why give talent evaluators another year to find all the warts on him?  His stock will never be higher than it is right now - no matter what he does next year, Heisman or not.  By next year, you'll hear twice the clamoring about his throwing motion, etc.

Leinart should have gone pro last year.  He'd have been the #1 pick where now he might be #2 or #3.  He could be playing in SF in his home state, rather than headed for New Orleans or Tennessee.  It's great that he loved college enough to come back, and I applaud the decision, but I think it was the wrong one.  No 2nd Heisman, no 3rd national title - he should have just turned pro.  The injury risk he took didn't justify the season he had.  Someone will mention this to Vince Young.
:yes: Plus, if I recall correctly what I've read, the Leinart's aren't exactly poor people, so the financial issue likely wasn't much of an issue at all. I'm pretty sure I read in SI about Vince Young's childhood/family and don't think they come from great wealth. I could be wrong about this, but I'd think the impetus of a huge signing bonus would be more likely to sway Young than Leinart.
I would suspect that Young is already well paid by a Texas team. ;) As for Leinart, he likely doesn't give a rip what you think. He was having a great time on an all-time great college team. Dude's going to make out like a bandit anyway.

While he might have hurt his draft position, he'll still likely be the highest drafted QB in this draft, and he also spent all year focusing on improving his mental game in a pro-style offense. I've never seen a college QB audible more than he did this year, and frankly few pros do that. That beats sitting on the bench in the NFL, or getting killed behind a crappy O-line like they have in SF and Houston.

I would suspect that Young is already well paid by a Texas team. ;) As for Leinart, he likely doesn't give a rip what you think. He was having a great time on an all-time great college team. Dude's going to make out like a bandit anyway.

While he might have hurt his draft position, he'll still likely be the highest drafted QB in this draft, and he also spent all year focusing on improving his mental game in a pro-style offense. I've never seen a college QB audible more than he did this year, and frankly few pros do that. That beats sitting on the bench in the NFL, or getting killed behind a crappy O-line like they have in SF and Houston.
Do you think that is going to be worth passing up $15 million in upfront money for? What if he blows out his knee in next year's title game, like McGahee did?

You might also factor in Carson Palmer's success this year. At the draft last year, there were probably some significant doubts about whether a star QB playing under Pete at USC could really translate those things to the NFL. Given Palmer's breakout season, a lot of teams are going to be looking at Leinart as Palmer v2.0.

Do you think that is going to be worth passing up $15 million in upfront money for? What if he blows out his knee in next year's title game, like McGahee did?
Young's in a different position than Leinart. I don't necessarily disagree with you that he should come out. Leinart got another year in a pro offense with elite talent around him and behind one of the best offensive lines in college football. Young's in an offense that's less translateable directly to pro football. Also, the fact that he's the clear focal point of that offense, and is a scrambling QB to boot, may put him at additional risk.

Leinart got more seasoning. Young, OTOH, may be at the peak of his college potential right now.

You might also factor in Carson Palmer's success this year. At the draft last year, there were probably some significant doubts about whether a star QB playing under Pete at USC could really translate those things to the NFL. Given Palmer's breakout season, a lot of teams are going to be looking at Leinart as Palmer v2.0.
They'll be looking at him as a slightly slower, weaker-armed version of Palmer. I think Leinart will be a terrific QB in the NFL, but I could see his stock slipping ever so slightly, especially as people react to what will inevitably be underwhelming numbers at the combine.

Young's in a different position than Leinart. I don't necessarily disagree with you that he should come out. Leinart got another year in a pro offense with elite talent around him and behind one of the best offensive lines in college football. Young's in an offense that's less translateable directly to pro football. Also, the fact that he's the clear focal point of that offense, and is a scrambling QB to boot, may put him at additional risk.

Leinart got more seasoning. Young, OTOH, may be at the peak of his college potential right now.
That's my thinking exactly. I agree that Leinart probably was best served in terms of preparedness to have gone back for another year, but he was more highly regarded by draft evaluators LAST year, when he would have been the unquestioned #1 pick, than he is this year, where he may or may not go 1, 2, or 3.

The (top) reason you go to college is to better yourself, in some way, shape or form.There is no "bettering himself" possibility for him higher than getting drafted this year in the Top 3.

He'll be a top 3 pick and get a $15 million signing bonus. He's not going back to college - he just won a title, has nothing left to prove at the collegiate level. Why risk injury, first of all, and second, why give talent evaluators another year to find all the warts on him? His stock will never be higher than it is right now - no matter what he does next year, Heisman or not. By next year, you'll hear twice the clamoring about his throwing motion, etc.

Leinart should have gone pro last year. He'd have been the #1 pick where now he might be #2 or #3. He could be playing in SF in his home state, rather than headed for New Orleans or Tennessee. It's great that he loved college enough to come back, and I applaud the decision, but I think it was the wrong one. No 2nd Heisman, no 3rd national title - he should have just turned pro. The injury risk he took didn't justify the season he had. Someone will mention this to Vince Young.
I agree 100%. But Young also stated he would LOVE to win a Heisman.

I heard that. I think that may be what is drawing him back (and I'm sure Mack Brown will dangle that carrot) but in the end, I think the people closest to him will realize that the future is now, the stock has peaked, and it's time to cash in.

I heard that. I think that may be what is drawing him back (and I'm sure Mack Brown will dangle that carrot) but in the end, I think the people closest to him will realize that the future is now, the stock has peaked, and it's time to cash in.
Well, the Heisman and (like Leinart) the prospect of QB'ing the consensus #1 in a drive for another national championship. There's no team that could possibly be ranked higher than UT going into next year if Young returns.

Well, the Heisman and (like Leinart) the prospect of QB'ing the consensus #1 in a drive for another national championship. There's no team that could possibly be ranked higher than UT going into next year if Young returns.
Right. Almost nowhere to go but down.

Young was the best player on the field the other night and is a GREAT college player. He WILL NOT be a top 3 pick in the draft. Everyone is gaga right now over his performance Wednesday and rightfully so.However, he does not have an NFL caliber arm. Once he starts his personal workouts and cant throw the deep outs and deep ins with the required velocity that scouts like to see, his stock will drop a little.

Probably half the starting QB's in the NFL right now dont have an NFL caliber arm (thats why QBing sucks right now) but none of those guys were drafted in the top 3 of their class.

Top 15 definitely, top 10 maybe, he WILL NOT crack the top 5 IMO.

Young was the best player on the field the other night and is a GREAT college player. He WILL NOT be a top 3 pick in the draft. Everyone is gaga right now over his performance Wednesday and rightfully so.However, he does not have an NFL caliber arm. Once he starts his personal workouts and cant throw the deep outs and deep ins with the required velocity that scouts like to see, his stock will drop a little.

Probably half the starting QB's in the NFL right now dont have an NFL caliber arm (thats why QBing sucks right now) but none of those guys were drafted in the top 3 of their class.

I agree that he's riding a high right now, and his one-game performance on Wednesday is, if anything, inflating his perceived value and talents. That may be the point, though: should he not cash in on that now versus a year from now? The question is what are his priorities. Believe it or not in this money-mad world, there are a lot of folks who have higher priorities than making money.

Deep this... deep that... a handful of deep throws a game is enough to win it. I like to see more accurate short passes with a dominant run game.Edit: Vince showed he can be very accurate this year with a 65.2% completion rating.

They'll be looking at him as a slightly slower, weaker-armed version of Palmer. I think Leinart will be a terrific QB in the NFL, but I could see his stock slipping ever so slightly, especially as people react to what will inevitably be underwhelming numbers at the combine.
Leinart will not workout at the combine. The only combine numbers from him will be his SIZE, which is good, and he will have a physical. If his shoulder is good, he will have no problem at the combine. He will then have personal workouts that are set up by his agent geared to his strengths.

Deep this... deep that... a handful of deep throws a game is enough to win it. I like to see more accurate short passes with a dominant run game.Edit: Vince showed he can be very accurate this year with a 65.2% completion rating.
Did you watch Wednesday's game? The guy is a spectacular runner. However, every throw he made was to a WIDE OPEN receiver and the passes were not exactly zipped (I dont know where USC's secondary was the whole game). That will not work in the NFL.I wasnt talking about deep fly, post and flag patterns. I was talking about the deep outs and deep ins that are a staple of any NFL offense. The scouts will want to see that he can make those throws. If he cant to their satisfaction, we will not be a top 5 pick.

Was Tommy Frazier a top 5 pick? That guy led a dominant Nebraska team and could run a little. The biggest difference I see between he and Young is SIZE. Damn Vince is big and tough. Will that be enough to get him in the top 5?

You dont think coaches are going to want to sit down with Vince and look at film to question his ability to read defenses before they commit a top 3 pick to him? I dont know if Vince will allow that but if I was a team, that is how I would spend my 1 hour interview with him.

:goodposting:

Leinart should have gone pro last year. He'd have been the #1 pick where now he might be #2 or #3. He could be playing in SF in his home state, rather than headed for New Orleans or Tennessee. It's great that he loved college partying enough to come back, and I applaud the decision, but I think it was the wrong one.
Fixed. The guy's only taking one class and iirc, it's something like Ballroom Dancing. He's not back there for "college" he's back for one last year-long fling in the California sun.

I agree 100%. But Young also stated he would LOVE to win a Heisman.He can take a small piece of his signing bonus and buy OJ's Heisman. :rolleyes:

I think he gets drafted #2 now over Leinart after that performance...And yes, I'm saying I can easily see him going pro in 2006..

Did you watch Wednesday's game? The guy is a spectacular runner. However, every throw he made was to a WIDE OPEN receiver and the passes were not exactly zipped (I dont know where USC's secondary was the whole game). That will not work in the NFL.I wasnt talking about deep fly, post and flag patterns. I was talking about the deep outs and deep ins that are a staple of any NFL offense. The scouts will want to see that he can make those throws. If he cant to their satisfaction, we will not be a top 5 pick.

Was Tommy Frazier a top 5 pick? That guy led a dominant Nebraska team and could run a little. The biggest difference I see between he and Young is SIZE. Damn Vince is big and tough. Will that be enough to get him in the top 5?

You dont think coaches are going to want to sit down with Vince and look at film to question his ability to read defenses before they commit a top 3 pick to him? I dont know if Vince will allow that but if I was a team, that is how I would spend my 1 hour interview with him.
He does have some work to do on his passing techniques, but I think all the materials are there for him to work with. Michael Vick can throw a football with zip on it, but what does it matter if it is not on target. I'll admit the only time I really watched a whole game of Young's was the National Championship. The 65.2 percent completion is for the entire season though. Tommy Frazier was an option QB, and I'd say he could run a lot. The only Nebraska option QB that had any chance of succeeding in the NFL as an actual QB was Brook Bollinger.

This is entirely possible. In fact, I tend to agree with your assessment of Young - I am not sold on him as a star in the NFL, though I do feel that his size and strength gives a team options with him at QB in the running game that no other team has had (save maybe for the Vikings with Culpepper earlier in his career.) I think Young has a chance to be the type of running-throwing hybrid QB terror that Vick was supposed to be but has not yet become, save for a game here and there. Will Vince Young ever be a great NFL QB? Hard to say, but I believe I doubt it as much as you do.My point was, his stock is as high right now as it will ever be. If arm strength, the inability to make all the required throws in the NFL, etc.. etc... are a problem, they're going to be as big a problem at the 2007 combine as they are at the 2006 combine, only he'll be a year older, and won't be coming off a legendary performance which can't help but pervade everyone's thinking while evaluating him.

Leinart & Young are very diffrent situations.Leinart was trying to win back-to-back heismans & titles, and living the college life 80's movie characters dream of: footbal hero/BMOC, 1 cake class, and whatever else you want in a sunny clime with hot chicks around. That's not a bad kind of life. He gave up beign the #1 overall pick & going to a terrible team for being a top 3 or so pick. Since his career path is unknown, he's only sacrificed 1 year of big money if he goes on to have a very successful, long career. At that point, he'll be loaded, and the money will be less important than life enjoyment.Young could return to school, and have soemthing like this kind of performance, but it's highly unlikely for a couple of reasons, notably because there's no 2000-pound gorilla of a school for him to beat in a bowl game next year. Teams that are running the kind of string USC was are rare. To beat them is huge. Next year the big team will be less big, unless it's Texas, and he can't beat Texas - he is Texas. He could fix a lot of his issues, but there's really no incentive for Texas coaches to help him do that - the current method works fine for the school, and if his performance suffers, he could backslide in the draft. He could win the Heisman & back to back titles, and that'd be great. He might even come out more regarded next year, but I see more ?? around him than Leinart last year, so he's got more downside risk to staying.

He says first he's going to sit down with his family. Next he is going to talk with his pastor. Then he'll get together with Texas head coach Mack Brown to discuss his options. Also he wants to see how the people in the NFL feel about him. Then Jay Leno says, "doesn't the Houston Texans have the first pick in the draft?". Young replys by laughing and saying, "yeah, that will effect my decision too".

From what I could pick up he is very close with his family, which cosists of a mom and two sisters. They sound like they would like him to finish college, and I think he wants to too. So my prediction is that he'll be back to wreak some havok in my Huskers big 12 next year.
if hes close w/ his family and he has a chance to play in houston than why not go pro now.

This is entirely possible. In fact, I tend to agree with your assessment of Young - I am not sold on him as a star in the NFL, though I do feel that his size and strength gives a team options with him at QB in the running game that no other team has had (save maybe for the Vikings with Culpepper earlier in his career.) I think Young has a chance to be the type of running-throwing hybrid QB terror that Vick was supposed to be but has not yet become, save for a game here and there. Will Vince Young ever be a great NFL QB? Hard to say, but I believe I doubt it as much as you do.My point was, his stock is as high right now as it will ever be. If arm strength, the inability to make all the required throws in the NFL, etc.. etc... are a problem, they're going to be as big a problem at the 2007 combine as they are at the 2006 combine, only he'll be a year older, and won't be coming off a legendary performance which can't help but pervade everyone's thinking while evaluating him.
We're actually on the same page for once. I absolutely agree with you that he should go pro this year. As far as his stock being as high as its ever been, thats more of a fan and media thing. For some reason, NFL teams tend to forget the game performances and just trust their own judgements (ie. measurables). Vince comes out GREAT in most measurables. He is tall and thick, strong. But not thick in the 260 lbs way like Culpepper. Young can move in ways Culpepper only dreamed of.

The only issues with Young are arm (a pretty big one) and the fact that he didnt come from a throwing team (can he read defenses). He didnt exactly come from old school Nebraska with the option but Texas was a run first team. The throws he was making Wednesday were not NFL throws. That is why I am shocked that USC didnt play tighter on his receivers and force him to throw more intermediate to deep passes. He didnt throw deep once all night.

He can always go back to school if things don't work out.Him not coming out would be like any of us winning the powerball and stating "Uhhh....thanks but no thanks. I just think I'll let you keep the money cause I like spending my hard-earned $20.00 a week on my powerball numbers."

Users who are viewing this thread