What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vince Young ready to be an NFL QB (1 Viewer)

I'm not saying he's ready to start. I never say that about any rookie QB. I don't think these guys are saying that either. Every rookie QB has his place...on the pine.

Anyway...

link

"It's amazing how it's become such a firestorm," said Maxwell Club president Ron Jaworski, a former Eagle and a man who knows something about playing quarterback in the NFL. "Intelligence is important. There's some validity to that. But there's a difference between football intelligence and book smarts. Can he play? Is he productive? This guy can play football."
link
New England Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi, who received the Spirit Award last night, added: "I'm looking forward to playing Vince in the NFL, but I'm not looking forward to tackling him."
"He is really athletic and I think he will do well," said Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander, who was named the Maxwell Club's Bert Bell Award winner as the pro player of the year. "He has to be in the right system and everybody has to be patient with him. He has a really good arm and can scramble, and he'll have to learn to do it at the pro level."
"Tests are tests to me," Alexander said. "The key thing with any football player is, what can he do when he gets on the field."
"I know that Dan Marino, Donovan McNabb and Randall Cunningham didn't exactly blow the top off the score, and they were pretty darn good football players," Jaworski said. "There is some validity to it, but the main thing is: Can you play football? And one thing that jumps out at you is what an incredible athlete he is."
link
Young's Maxwell Award might be seen by some as a consolation prize to the Heisman Trophy that went to USC running back Reggie Bush. But Maxwell Club president Ron Jaworski doesn't see it that way.

"We're about football 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, unlike that other club in New York [the Downtown Athletic Club, which presents the Heisman Trophy]," said Jaws, best known in these parts as the Eagles' career passing leader. "We care about football at all levels...It still comes down to playing football...He soaks up coaching. He's willing to learn and get better.""

Last edited by a moderator:
Others...

link

Don Shula, the winningest coach in NFL history said there'd be "no question in my mind" whom he would take with the first pick of the NFL Draft in April. "He's one of the great athletes that I've ever seen play the position," Shula said, suggesting the Houston Texans should definitely pick Young. "The last time I looked at (his passing), he was completing 30 of 40 (in the Rose Bowl). I go by results. You don't change what's working."
link
Recent Hall of Fame inductee Troy Aikman was impressed by Vince Young’s performance in the Rose Bowl. “That was an incredible performance against a team like USC,” he said. “People wonder if (Young) can do that in the NFL, but that night he was playing against a lot of players who are going to be in the NFL.”
link
"Vince Young is the real deal," said Pittsburgh's (Antwan) Randle El, who threw the best pass of Sunday's game. "I didn't think the guy could throw because a couple of games he didn't have to throw. But he picked some teams apart. He kind of flicks it, but it gets there.

"He has the potential to do big things. He's like a taller Mike Vick. I think he'll be a big success."
"I wasn't no Vince Young in college," (Hines) Ward said. "His throwing was a little awkward, but the ball gets there on time. Vince ate them (the Trojans) up. If he can do that against the best team in the country, I'm pretty sure he can do it at this level

Look, it should be obvious to anyone that if the guy can't answer what the volume and surface area of a cylindical storage tank with a radius of 15 feet and a height of 30 feet are, he can't score touchdowns.

Good thing nobody explained that to him in college.

Ahhh...Here's the one I've been looking for, by the guy who's play I think Young's play most closely resembles...

"They can't try to make him a pocket passer," Hampton said. "You got to do what got you there. Whoever drafts Vince has to let him do what he does best. But I'd tell him to slide."

One guy who didn't always slide loves Young, too.

"He's such a great athlete, and he's an accurate passer," (Roger) Staubach said. "I think he is an NFL quarterback. He's smart, confident and such a leader."

Hey "Hairy" your love for Vince is getting embarassing.
People can hate on Young non stop but nobody is allowed to love on him?
Look have you ever seen a man and women making out in public, I mean really going at it. That is what I'm talking about here. A peck on the cheek or lips is love. Groping and pawing is embarrasing. Hairy has entered into the groping and pawing stage of his relationship with Vince Young. Tone it down a little.

Look have you ever seen a man and women making out in public, I mean really going at it. That is what I'm talking about here. A peck on the cheek or lips is love. Groping and pawing is embarrasing. Hairy has entered into the groping and pawing stage of his relationship with Vince Young. Tone it down a little.
:lmao: :goodposting:

Dude...can you not see that this post is simply a response...a counterpoint? It's really pretty obvious.It's just like the Mole said...the same guys come on here bashing Young, repeatedly, rehashing the same old tired, and for the most part baseless, crap...and that's fine, right? Or did they have to get their posts approved by you...the posting police?

Then I bring some quotes from players in support of him, and that's somehow an embarrassment?

Wow. Just...wow.

Somehow that sounds backward to me...but that's just like, my opinion, man.

He'll be fine.  I hope he ends up a Titan, but he won't slip past Oakland at 6.
Yeah, I think if Oakland doesn't pick up a qb in the FA market, they won't let Vince get past them, if he gets that far. BTW, don't they have the 7th pick?They're making no secret of the fact that they'd love to have him as a Raider...but, then Tennessee seems to still like him also.

Edit: Please, please, please don't let him go to the Saints or the Texans. As much as I'd like to be able to make a short trip to see Vince play, those places are jail sentences.

Count me amongst those that remain skeptical about Young being a quality NFL QB. But what he did at Texas was simply unbelieveable. My skepticism revolves around what I believe will be his inability to read defenses and his own offensive playbook. But McNabb has been able to pull it off, so I suppose I should reconsider.

But no chance is he ready to be an NFL QB. The only one who is this year is Leinart.

:lmao: A Texas homer pushing Young.

The dude will never be better than Vick. That ain't good enough to get the job done.

I like his skillset, and love his eye for the endzone. What is this thread really about?

:lmao: A Texas homer pushing Young.

The dude will never be better than Vick.  That ain't good enough to get the job done.

I like his skillset, and love his eye for the endzone.  What is this thread really about?
It's a response to another thread ( link ) and article about him not being ready for the league. Just a counterpoint to some people who think everything's cut & dried because of his choice of agents or an alledged test score, or even the 16...there are some people out there with respected football backgrounds who think young will do just fine at the next level. I didn't just pull this topic outta my ar*e, as some of the posters on this thread can't seem to grasp.As far as the homer thing, it's not like I haven't heard that before. Yeah, I'm a Texas homer. That doesn't mean I'm wrong about Vince Young and everyone else is right. I've seen every game the kid's played since high school, plus many of his practices. That gives me a different perspective from almost everyone else here. Aside from maybe a couple others here, esp Hawk, I will confidently say that I know more about Vince Young's weaknesses, strengths, tendencies, areas of improvement and decline, and character traits and growth than any other poster.

BTW...are Tedy Bruschi, Ron Jaworski, Shawn Alexander, Don Shula, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Antwan Randle El, and Hines Ward Texas homers? Is Mel Kiper, who says Young will still go top 3?

As for Vick...Young is more accurate and has better touch...Vick has the better arm. Vick is marginally faster, and quicker out of the blocks...Young is bigger and harder to bring down. Young is 6'5", 240# to Vick's 6'0", 215#. Young is better able to see over the line.

Maybe he'll be better than Vick, maybe he won't. Time will tell. I think he will, but that doesn't really matter in this thread, and I think Vick is a poor qb to compare him to anyway. Their styles and attributes are really not similar.

Users who are viewing this thread