What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vince Young (1 Viewer)

Bob_Magaw

Footballguy
another puff piece on VY... but there was some new scout buzz or chatter (for me) from the positive side... from SIs michael silver... instead of the obligatory vick comparisons (& more astute randall cunningham ones), some scouts are invoking the multi-faceted skill set & constellation of traits represented by HOFers steve young & john elway in their struggle to come up with a meaningful & relevant comp player for this seemingly unprecedented physical phenom who is also a prodigy in terms of his poise, composure & leadership...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...oung/index.html

Still the one

No reason for Young's stock to fall since Rose Bowl

Posted: Friday April 14, 2006 12:04PM; Updated: Friday April 14, 2006 5:11PM

"The trouble with you is the trouble with me. You've got two good eyes but you still don't see...."

-- Grateful Dead, "Casey Jones"

Back when he was at UCLA, my father took a final exam in which the professor presented only a single hypothetical question requiring a yes or no answer, with the addendum, "If yes, explain."

Reasoning that the basic setup of the query begged for an affirmative response, each of my dad's classmates began scribbling furiously -- but my father simply sat at his desk and stared at the test. After a couple of minutes he went with his gut, wrote "No" in his blue book and, to the amazement of his fellow students, walked out of the room and headed straight to Santa Anita to bet on the Daily Double.

It was a hell of a gamble, and it spoke to a basic premise that applies to the NFL's bizarre courtship of former Texas quarterback Vince Young: If the available evidence tells you something is so, there's no need to overthink the question.

Or, to put it another way: Why do so many teams at or near the top of the NFL draft seem to be going to such great lengths to talk themselves out of picking Young?

Yeah, I know, Reggie Bush is fantastic, and his fellow ex-USC backfieldmate, Matt Leinart, is a ballsy leader who's probably going to be a heck of an NFL player. And while I can't say I've watched a whole lot of North Carolina State football recently, I'm sure 6-foot-7 defensive end Mario Williams has the potential to be a pass-rushing beast for some lucky team.

I'm also well aware that at the combine, Young reportedly had a subpar showing on the Wonderlic test, the same faithful measuring stick of intelligence that rated Ryan Leaf 11 points ahead of Dan Marino. And no, Young does not fit the traditional drop-back profile of a classic NFL quarterback, and he'll certainly have to adjust to the speed and complexity of pro defenses and may take some lumps in the process.

Fine. All of those points are valid. Now let me start by offering a two-word rebuttal: Rose Bowl.

Oh yeah, remember that game? My new friend LenDale White does -- more on our burgeoning relationship later -- and the ultra-confident former USC running back is still haunted by the sight of Young snatching a national title from the Trojans by the sheer force of his talent, will and poise.

"What can you honestly say about a kid that single-handedly beat 'SC in the national championship game?" White asks. "I don't know what he scored on a Wonderlic test, but I know when you put him in pads he'll produce for you. He ran a 4.5 [in the 40-yard-dash], but he was running circles around us. How could you not want him?"

More specifically, since they are already on the clock, how could the Houston Texans not want him?

Granted, Texans general manager Charley Casserly knows more about football in a nitrous-oxide-induced haze than I do after a bottle of ginkgo biloba. That said, let me break down the situation as I see it.

• The Texans currently have a quarterback, David Carr, who has been the team's starter since Houston made him the No. 1 overall pick three years ago. Carr's play has been underwhelming, partly because he continually gets pummeled in the pocket -- which may or may not be a reflection of the team's dubious offensive line -- and partly because some of his receivers have trouble getting open. Or, perhaps, Carr holds onto the ball too long and simply isn't very good. At this point in Carr's career, even a certain former Texas governor might not be convinced that staying the course is the most prudent option.

• If a team has trouble protecting its quarterback, Young would seem to be the ideal person to put behind center while the line gets it together. If anyone seems capable of literally learning on the fly, this is the guy.

• Sure, you say, it all sounds great, but would Young be embraced by the football-obsessed locals? Yes, he was the man in Austin, but this is the big city, and how in the world would a kid from ... oh, right, Young is from Houston. I'm guessing he might be able to fit in nicely with this otherwise faceless franchise.

I'm sure there are countless people with stopwatches and stat packs and swelling Internet blogs who can tell me all about Young's deficiencies, but all I know is every time I watched the guy play, he was amazing when it counted most. Yeah, he ran a lot at key moments, but he also made huge plays with his arm, like the sweet touchdown pass he threw to beat Ohio State at the start of last season. And he displayed every intangible quality that a quarterback possibly can in a very protracted period of time. Whatever "it" is -- toughness, cool under fire, a penchant for clutch play -- Young definitely has it.

People like to compare him to Michael Vick or Randall Cunningham, but the guy he really reminds me of is Steve Young -- a breathtaking runner who is as capable of bulling through defenders as he is of blowing by them, a deft touch-passer with an outrageously untapped upside, a once-in-a-generation talent whose skills are too blatant to be ignored.

OK -- and I know this will crush some of you -- let's forget about me for a second. Instead, let's ask the opinion of a pure drop-back passer, Cleveland Browns quarterback Trent Dilfer. He said, when discussing Young (Vince, not Steve) the day before the NFC Championship Game, "Can he run an NFL offense? No. And you know what -- who cares? If you get a guy like that on your team, you change the offense. It would be bold, and this league is very resistant to change, but it would be awesome and he'd be a star."

A few days ago I spoke to a longtime scout for an NFC team, a film junkie who tends to be skeptical by nature. When Young's name came up, he instantly lapsed into a love sonnet that caught me off-guard.

"I'm telling you," he said, "this guy's John Elway. All those people saying he won't be good, what are they thinking? He's a rare passer -- the guy can be on the run, under pressure and flip the ball on a line. You watch him do these things and it goes on and on and on. Normally, if you watch a guy on film over and over again, he gets a little less attractive than what you'd thought. This guy gets better.

"His poise is just incredible, and he's so explosive. There's a reason Texas averaged 50 points a game. When they got the ball to the 30-yard line, he scored, period. He may not have the greatest test score, but he definitely has the leadership skills to compensate."

It should be pointed out that this scout is a huge Bush fan. "Bush is terrific," he said. "But if you've got the Number 1 pick, do you take Barry Sanders or John Elway?"

That, my friends, is a no-brainer, and when I posed the same question to my father last night, he didn't hesitate to give me the correct answer.

The man does have a track record: Forty-five years ago, he scribbled two letters on a final exam and got the only A in the class.

Last edited by a moderator:
puff piece is correct

john elway? :banned: elway played in a pro-style offense, didn't have a hitch in his delivery the size of the grand canyon, and this doesn't even begin to address young's questionable wonderlic results

All the QB's who he is compared to - Vick, Cunningham, Young - took years to become successful NFL QB's. I've stated before that I think he will eventually become a good QB, but I think he is not even close to NFL ready.

Vick was able to come in a win right away because of his freakish running ability, which Young doesn't have. He's fast, but he's not going to throw jukes on LB's the way Vick does so he will have to learn the QB position before he's ready to be an NFL starting QB.

Cunningham is the most accurate comparison to Young and it was not until his 6th year that he had over a 55% completion rate. It wasn't until his 4th year that he led the Eagles to a winning record. My biggest problem with Young is that if a team drafts him high that they'll have to pay out a lot of bonus money and he'll be nearly done with his rookie contract before he's making a significant contribution to the team.

I'm hoping that he goes after the top 10 so that he isn't forced into playing right away and a team can afford to let him learn for a couple years before expecting much from him.

another comp player who is gifted athlete (point guard on syracuse basketball team), was a dangerous runner with questionable pro passing readiness & also eagles QB... mcnabb...

throwing out rookie season with 49% completion percentage... & except for 2004 "TO" season when he had breakthrough 64% completion percentage... he has ranged between 57%-59% in his OTHER five seasons...

he definitely got up to speed in less than 5-6 years... & imo, VY is a more dangerous runner in the open field (mcnabb no slouch when he was younger)...

Player A: 212/325 (65.2%), 3,036 yards (9.34 Y/A), 26 TD, 10 INT 163.95 QBR

Player B: 275/441 (62.4%), 3,600 yards (8.16 Y/A), 29 TD, 10 INT 148.09 QBR

Vince = Player A and Leinhart = Player B... at first guess.

I think Dilfer's point is the best. If Vince goes to a team that is willing to adjust its offense to fit his skills, then the time it will take for him to succeed in the NFL will be greatly reduced. If he goes to a team that is going to squeeze him into its offense regardless, then it will take longer.

The bottom line with Vince is that when you have a guy who can put pressure on a defense because they don't know if he's going to run or throw, then you don't need a complicated offense to succeed. You can run a lot fewer plays as long as you design them to give Vince the option to throw or run depending on what the defense is doing. One thing he proved abundantly in college is that he can read the defense and make a good decision on the fly whether to throw or run.

The easiest example is the Championship Game in which Texas ran the same formation the whole game and Pete Carroll threw the kitchen sink at them defensively, but Vince shredded them because they had no clue how to stop him. If they geared the D to stop the run, he threw it, if they geared it to stop the pass, he ran it. They took away the deep ball so he picked them apart underneath.

If he gets an offensive coordinator that will tailor the offense to fit his skill set, he'll be deadly by his second year in the NFL IMO. If not, could take 3 or 4 years.

was someone comparing Leinart to Young in this thread? I might've missed that. Leinart was 37-2,won back-2-back Nat'l championships, came within 27 seconds of winning an unprecedented 3rd straight title. he also saw better competition,and teams playing 'harder' against USC, because they were up against the defending champs. this debate will rage on for the next 5 years...

as for VY, yes he can run, yes he can pass(albeit with a hitch)..the problem is that everyone in the NFL is fast. he's not going to be able to outrun Urlacher, Vilma, Peppers, or players like them on a regular basis...secondaries are better at hiding schemes, he'll see better blitz packages, and the defensive coaches in the NFL are MUCH better than they are in college..

Bellichick confuses Manning, and has done so for what, 7 years now? Parcells is a great defensive minded coach..as is Greg Williams, Wade Phillips, J. Johnson, and everyone else in the NFL...the best defensive coach VY faced, was Pete Carroll..the same Pete Carroll that the NY-Jets fans rode out of town on a Chariot of Fire...he was a decent defensive coordinator in the NFL, just wasn't on the same level with these others..

like the previous post said, IF VY goes to the right scheme, right offense, he'll succeed, but if he follows Vick's footsteps and winds up in an offensive that isn't tailored to his special talents, he'll be playing in Canada by 2011..Charlie Ward was a dynamic college QB, he's now the best QB in the NBA..

where is Kordell Stewart these days? Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf?

QB success in college doesn't necessarily translate to NFL success..

we'll just have to take a wait-n-see approach with the QB's in this years draft.

Didn't Vince also lead the NCAA in passing last season? It's not like the guy played in 1 game all season. He's a winner. I just don't see how he slides past 5. Even Ted Thompson said something about "you don't pass on Jordan."

Vince is going to make a lot of people look foolish. This is not rocket science. It's football. He will win early, often, and throughout his career. He's a winner. Hitch in his throw? Give me a ####### break. Hitch all right, ask Michigan about the hitch in his throw, or USC, or anybody else.

Maybe Craig Nall or Billy Volek will be better than VY, they have really nice mechanics. Hell, I know a guy who is a way better shooter than Shaq too! Hitch in his throw..... :rolleyes:

was someone comparing Leinart to Young in this thread? I might've missed that. Leinart was 37-2,won back-2-back Nat'l championships , came within 27 seconds of winning an unprecedented 3rd straight title. he also saw better competition,and teams playing 'harder' against USC, because they were up against the defending champs. this debate will rage on for the next 5 years...

as for VY, yes he can run, yes he can pass(albeit with a hitch)..the problem is that everyone in the NFL is fast. he's not going to be able to outrun Urlacher, Vilma, Peppers, or players like them on a regular basis...secondaries are better at hiding schemes, he'll see better blitz packages, and the defensive coaches in the NFL are MUCH better than they are in college..

Bellichick confuses Manning, and has done so for what, 7 years now? Parcells is a great defensive minded coach..as is Greg Williams, Wade Phillips, J. Johnson, and everyone else in the NFL...the best defensive coach VY faced, was Pete Carroll..the same Pete Carroll that the NY-Jets fans rode out of town on a Chariot of Fire...he was a decent defensive coordinator in the NFL, just wasn't on the same level with these others..

like the previous post said, IF VY goes to the right scheme, right offense, he'll succeed, but if he follows Vick's footsteps and winds up in an offensive that isn't tailored to his special talents, he'll be playing in Canada by 2011..Charlie Ward was a dynamic college QB, he's now the best QB in the NBA..

where is Kordell Stewart these days? Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf?

QB success in college doesn't necessarily translate to NFL success..

we'll just have to take a wait-n-see approach with the QB's in this years draft.
Umm yeah....he only won 1 nation championship. Same as Vince. Same as a lot of guys. Also, he wilted when going heads up against VY, and also Aaron Rodgers.....

Didn't Vince also lead the NCAA in passing last season? It's not like the guy played in 1 game all season. He's a winner. I just don't see how he slides past 5. Even Ted Thompson said something about "you don't pass on Jordan."

Vince is going to make a lot of people look foolish. This is not rocket science. It's football. He will win early, often, and throughout his career. He's a winner. Hitch in his throw? Give me a ####### break. Hitch all right, ask Michigan about the hitch in his throw, or USC, or anybody else.

Maybe Craig Nall or Billy Volek will be better than VY, they have really nice mechanics. Hell, I know a guy who is a way better shooter than Shaq too! Hitch in his throw..... :rolleyes:
LMAO at the Jordan comparison.There will be much thread bumping in 2008!

Here's one for you (last year of college football):Player A: 212/325 (65.2%), 3,036 yards, 26 TD, 10 INT 163.95 QBR

Player B: 235/396 (59.3%), 3,207 yards, 26 TD, 12 INT 143.00 QBR

Hint: One of these is now the starting QB for an NFL playoff team.

Here's one for you (last year of college football):Player A: 212/325 (65.2%), 3,036 yards, 26 TD, 10 INT 163.95 QBR

Player B probably went to a better school.

Is it Carson Palmer compared to Leinhart or Young?

Didn't Vince also lead the NCAA in passing last season?  It's not like the guy played in 1 game all season.  He's a winner.  I just don't see how he slides past 5.  Even Ted Thompson said something about "you don't pass on Jordan."

Vince is going to make a lot of people look foolish.  This is not rocket science.  It's football.  He will win early, often, and throughout his career.  He's a winner.  Hitch in his throw?  Give me a ####### break.  Hitch all right, ask Michigan about the hitch in his throw, or USC, or anybody else. 

Maybe Craig Nall or Billy Volek will be better than VY, they have really nice mechanics.  Hell, I know a guy who is a way better shooter than Shaq too!  Hitch in his throw..... :rolleyes:
LMAO at the Jordan comparison.There will be much thread bumping in 2008!
Not my comparison. That's the GM of the Packers' quote.

Actually, they went to the same school.

:whoosh:

I think people look too hard at the little things, like his release point, and forget about the important things. Young is a tremendous leader with almost unimagineable explosiveness running and an active and ready arm.

There are only two things, which are related, which I think could hinder Young's development in the league:

1. Can he read and understand an NFL offensive playbook? Plenty of talk that UT had to dumb-down their playbook as Young wasn't getting it. They kept his options within each play to an absolute minimum (look here, look there, then run). Their scaled down version worked great in college, as Young is so talented. Will such an approach work in the NFL? Or will he have to get much better in understanding offenses?

2. Related to #1, can Young learn how to read a defense? This is not the same as improvising, something at which Young clearly excels. This is walking up to the line of scrimmage, looking over at the defense, and understanding what they are bringing at him. In college, again, I think Young's athletic talent was able to supercede any deficiencies in this area, but plenty of scouts believe has he has no clue when it comes to reading a defense (again, much different than an ability to improvise on the fly). A poster above listed how he picked apart the USC defense, but not only was that defense very suspect most of the year, I rarely saw Young pushed that hard during the game. He had plenty of time to do what he wanted. It's just not a good example of Young reading a defense, let alone a good example of Young playing against a top notch defense.

I remain skeptical about Young's ability to do either one or two above. But how much will it matter? Is Young so dang good in the other areas, that it will more than makeup for apparent deficiencies listed above? This is the area I find most challenging when making up my mind.

Player A is Vince Young last season, Player B is Chris Simms in his senior year at Texas.

Amazing to me that Vince put up better passing numbers than Simms did (and without a Roy Williams to throw to). If you throw in the 1,050 yards rushing and 12 rushing TD's for Vince, its not even close.

As a Texas fan, I like Simms and root for him. But having watched all of their college games, Vince is twice the QB Simms ever was, and yet Simms is now the starter for an NFL playoff team. If Simms can have that kind of NFL success, there is no way IMO that Vince won't equal or surpass it.

:whoosh:
Young and Simms...
You are correct! And for your prize you get...nothing. But hey, good job. I'm still wondering who player B was on the first example from Chase Stuart. At first I was thinking Leinart, but those numbers don't really match up with what I found for Leinart.

Either way, the point stands that Vince put up some fat passing numbers last season. You can't go 65% completion and 3,036 yards without being able to read defenses at least fairly well. The 26/10 TD/INT ratio also indicates at least a decent understanding of how to read defenses.

Player A is Vince Young last season, Player B is Chris Simms in his senior year at Texas.

Amazing to me that Vince put up better passing numbers than Simms did (and without a Roy Williams to throw to). If you throw in the 1,050 yards rushing and 12 rushing TD's for Vince, its not even close.

As a Texas fan, I like Simms and root for him. But having watched all of their college games, Vince is twice the QB Simms ever was, and yet Simms is now the starter for an NFL playoff team. If Simms can have that kind of NFL success, there is no way IMO that Vince won't equal or surpass it.
your final assessment may be correct (that VY will be a very good QB in the NFL) but remember...chris simms was projected at the bottom of the first/top of the second and he fell to the last pick in the 3rd roundof course i'm not saying that young will drop to the 3rd round, but is a drop outside the top 10 really that crazy?

If only it were that simple. While is seems more than reasonable that Young would have a better NFL career than Simms, as Young was much better in college, the two thoughts are not always so aligned, especially at QB.

If only it were that simple. While is seems more than reasonable that Young would have a better NFL career than Simms, as Young was much better in college, the two thoughts are not always so aligned, especially at QB.
Tom Brady/Drew Henson.

LMAO. :lmao:

Simms is going into his FOURTH year and now has got hold of the offense. Simms scored much better on the wonderlic then Young. PLUS Simms fit into an offense and they didn't have to make a new offense because he can't so certain things and/or can't so NORMAL QB things...

I will go out on a limb and say Simms will have a better pro career then Young. I just can't buy Young being anything more then a huge project with a possible starting some day 3 years in the future.

Young is a legend in the College game, and thats it. Young lovers crack me up. I am a young disbeleiver, and will be until proven differently.

Simms is going into his FOURTH year and now has got hold of the offense. Simms scored much better on the wonderlic then Young. PLUS Simms fit into an offense and they didn't have to make a new offense because he can't so certain things and/or can't so NORMAL QB things...

I will go out on a limb and say Simms will have a better pro career then Young. I just can't buy Young being anything more then a huge project with a possible starting some day 3 years in the future.

Young is a legend in the College game, and thats it. Young lovers crack me up. I am a young disbeleiver, and will be until proven differently.
That's not really going out on a limb since Simms has already shown that he's a capable NFL QB.

Amazing to me that Vince put up better passing numbers than Simms did (and without a Roy Williams to throw to).  If you throw in the 1,050 yards rushing and 12 rushing TD's for Vince, its not even close. 

As a Texas fan, I like Simms and root for him.  But having watched all of their college games, Vince is twice the QB Simms ever was, and yet Simms is now the starter for an NFL playoff team.  If Simms can have that kind of NFL success, there is no way IMO that Vince won't equal or surpass it.

That's not really going out on a limb since Simms has already shown that he's a capable NFL QB.
Maybe it is, since a majority here think Young will be more successful than Simms in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread