What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vonn Bell (1 Viewer)

Hoss Style

Footballguy
Vonn Bell could be the next young stud at S.

The Saints are often playing 3 safeties on the field at the same time.  Vonn seems to play a lot close to the line from what I've seen.  I'm still a bit nervous because the Saints like all 3 of their safeties, but I saw a quote where Bell is forcing the coaches to use him more because he's playing so well.  The last game the Saints played (Week 4 before their Week 5 Bye) they switched up their base Safety package and started Vaccaro and Bell - swapping Bell for the usual starter in Byrd.  Byrd became the 3rd safety that came in for for those sets.

Another possible knock against Byrd is that when CB Delvin Breaux returns soon, it will allow them to use 3 CBs in nickle instead of 3 safeties (like they have been).  It looks like Bell has taken that starting safety position and will run with it, so Byrd should be the odd man out - not Bell.

Many of you probably know this already, but since I was scouring past games and stats looking for young Safeties these past few days, I figured I'd share a bit on the guy I targeted and eventually traded for.  I'm not a Saints homer, though, so I could be off on some of my assumptions, but I feel good about Bell's future in this defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stashed him on my bench seeing the same things. I'm a Bills homer (yes, there are some) and ALWAYS saw Byrd as an overrated, "right place at the right time" kind of player. 

Vonn Bell could be the next young stud at S.

The Saints are often playing 3 safeties on the field at the same time.  Vonn seems to play a lot close to the line from what I've seen.  I'm still a bit nervous because the Saints like all 3 of their safeties, but I saw a quote where Bell is forcing the coaches to use him more because he's playing so well.  The last game the Saints played (Week 4 before their Week 5 Bye) they switched up their base Safety package and started Vaccaro and Bell - swapping Bell for the usual starter in Byrd.  Byrd became the 3rd safety that came in for for those sets.

Another possible knock against Byrd is that when CB Delvin Breaux returns soon, it will allow them to use 3 CBs in nickle instead of 3 safeties (like they have been).  It looks like Bell has taken that starting safety position and will run with it, so Byrd should be the odd man out - not Bell.

Many of you probably know this already, but since I was scouring past games and stats looking for young Safeties these past few days, I figured I'd share a bit on the guy I targeted and eventually traded for.  I'm not a Saints homer, though, so I could be off on some of my assumptions, but I feel good about Bell's future in this defense.
Any recent updates on his usage from homers?

Not on his usage, but as a Buckeye homer his effort and even skill is called into question.  Always seemed like more of a tweener.  He's not very big or physical, he didn't look for contact as opposed to a guy like Whitner did, he got lost a lot in the middle of the field and taking bad angles, and he even called his own effort into question at the combine, saying something to the effect of "I guess I was lazy at times".  I can't count how often a play would happen and I would wonder "where's Von Bell?" - and 1 second later he comes trotting into the picture.  I went to probably 10 of his games live and never once came out impressed.  It's always possible a light comes on, but he's one of the few Buckeyes I have ever crossed off my list (sneak preview - another biggie coming next spring) as a guy I wanted to own even at a "fair market" price.

Not on his usage, but as a Buckeye homer his effort and even skill is called into question.  Always seemed like more of a tweener.  He's not very big or physical, he didn't look for contact as opposed to a guy like Whitner did, he got lost a lot in the middle of the field and taking bad angles, and he even called his own effort into question at the combine, saying something to the effect of "I guess I was lazy at times".  I can't count how often a play would happen and I would wonder "where's Von Bell?" - and 1 second later he comes trotting into the picture.  I went to probably 10 of his games live and never once came out impressed.  It's always possible a light comes on, but he's one of the few Buckeyes I have ever crossed off my list (sneak preview - another biggie coming next spring) as a guy I wanted to own even at a "fair market" price.
Good stuff.  I'm gonna be sure to catch all his games this year, and see if his effort is there.  I've heard good stuff about him so far this year, but it's nice to hear the other side, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread