What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wait a minute... (1 Viewer)

M

MLBrandow

I've been one to believe he'd be traded.... and I realize he's pissing the owner off a lot, but why would Childress want this to happen? Isn't he the one who turned that other black guy with similar skill sets into a great QB?

Thinking back about it... it would seem that if I'm Childress, I'd like to keep this guy around next year and treat him as a "rookie" of sorts, while I let a savvy veteran like Brad Johnson hold the team at the quo until he's ready to take over, either late this season or next season.

Am I crazy?

I've been one to believe he'd be traded.... and I realize he's pissing the owner off a lot, but why would Childress want this to happen? Isn't he the one who turned that other black guy with similar skill sets into a great QB?

Thinking back about it... it would seem that if I'm Childress, I'd like to keep this guy around next year and treat him as a "rookie" of sorts, while I let a savvy veteran like Brad Johnson hold the team at the quo until he's ready to take over, either late this season or next season.

Am I crazy?
Is this seriously the most important comparison between the two?

Am I crazy?
Why? Maybe Childress thinks Culpepper is a passer with below-average accuracy who costs far too much money. Perhaps Childress would rather have a cheaper QB and deploy the additional cap space into improviding other aspects of the team -- such as its suspect O-line.If they trade Culpepper, at least they get something for him.

While Culpepper and McNabb have obvious similarities, I'm pretty sure Childress isn't looking at Daunte and thinking "hey, he's black, he must be Donovan". ;)

CPep may not be a good fit for Childress's scheme. He's lost some agility and is more of a deep, vertical threat than the most accurate guy. Combine that with the injury and salary ($6M bonus), and it begins to make sense.

Now balance that against what Culpepper has done, the value of a franchise QB, and the fact that Brad is a stop gap, not a long term answer.

I really don't know what Minnesota is going to do here, but I would think they'd want to get a new QB if they did give CPep up. If Brees is available, he just may be the better option for Childress's offense.

Actually Childress really liked Culpepper when he was drafted, and said it was a hard choice between McNabb and CPep. I think a lot of the trade talk is overblown media hype based on "anonymous" sources and speculation. There are always talks at this time of year, that doesn't always mean something will happen.

Actually Childress really liked Culpepper when he was drafted, and said it was a hard choice between McNabb and CPep. I think a lot of the trade talk is overblown media hype based on "anonymous" sources and speculation. There are always talks at this time of year, that doesn't always mean something will happen.
Plenty of people liked Culpepper when he was drafted. That doesn't mean those same people like him now.

Am I crazy?
Yes.Now back to Culpepper the thing is the owner said this week that he wants CPerr back. Also Culpepper is already a great QB on par with McNabb.

Culpepper is going no where. Especially with the injury he suffered last year they will never get what they should for him and all the speculation was probably started by a radio talkshow host in St Paul looking to get a job in Chicago.

Plenty of people liked Culpepper when he was drafted. That doesn't mean those same people like him now.
Childress and Wilf have both come out and say that the trade talks were overblown in the media, that while there have been talks, most have been initiated by other teams inquiring (according to them - I know there were other reports in the media to the contrary). They'd be stupid not to listen, and not to find out what Culpepper is worth, despite the knee injury. That doesn't translate into not liking the guy, or thinking he can't be your franchise QB. That's just smart football business sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Childress really liked Culpepper when he was drafted, and said it was a hard choice between McNabb and CPep.  I think a lot of the trade talk is overblown media hype based on "anonymous" sources and speculation.  There are always talks at this time of year, that doesn't always mean something will happen.
Childress and Wilf have both come out and say that the trade talks were overblown in the media, that while there have been talks, most have been initiated by other teams inquiring (according to them - I know there were other reports in the media to the contrary). They'd be stupid not to listen, and not to find out what Culpepper is worth, despite the knee injury. That doesn't translate into not liking the guy, or thinking he can be your franchise QB. That's just smart football business sense.
:goodposting:

Actually Childress really liked Culpepper when he was drafted, and said it was a hard choice between McNabb and CPep.  I think a lot of the trade talk is overblown media hype based on "anonymous" sources and speculation.  There are always talks at this time of year, that doesn't always mean something will happen.
Childress and Wilf have both come out and say that the trade talks were overblown in the media, that while there have been talks, most have been initiated by other teams inquiring (according to them - I know there were other reports in the media to the contrary). They'd be stupid not to listen, and not to find out what Culpepper is worth, despite the knee injury. That doesn't translate into not liking the guy, or thinking he can be your franchise QB. That's just smart football business sense.
Yeah, blindly believing what Childress and Wilf publicly state is really insightful.Gee, what incentive would Childress and Wilf have to lie to the media? :rolleyes: If everyone thinks the Vikings will cut Culpepper, then he has ZERO trade value. So obviously Wilf and Childress will pay lip-service to keeping Culpepper.

Mark it down: Culpepper will not be a Viking in 2006.

some important differences may fall into category of mental, character & intangibles...

mcnabb has worked hard at understanding the game... because of that hard work, he presumably has a more advanced football IQ...

in the past, there have been whispers that c-pepp is randall cunningham-like in that he has overly-relied on his (admittedly awesome) athleticism... he hasn't shown the work ethic of a mcnabb or leftwich to be a diligent student of the game...

not sure how much the loss of moss meant to him, but when he couldn't just chuck up bombs that moss would go up & get, he looked lost...

I think Culpepper just needs a little Childress 101 and he'll be every bit the Pro Bowl QB, even with crappy receivers.

Yeah, blindly believing what Childress and Wilf publicly state is really insightful.Gee, what incentive would Childress and Wilf have to lie to the media? :rolleyes: If everyone thinks the Vikings will cut Culpepper, then he has ZERO trade value. So obviously Wilf and Childress will pay lip-service to keeping Culpepper.

Mark it down: Culpepper will not be a Viking in 2006.
MARKED

Last edited by a moderator:
(March 2, 2006) -- Talks at an extension for the collective-bargaining agreement are back on again, as are talks to trade quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

One NFL team confirmed that the Vikings have begun shopping Culpepper again, ascertaining whether another team would be willing to deal for him.

At this point, it looks as if the Baltimore Ravens won't. The Vikings and Ravens have spoken, but now Baltimore does not seem to have any interest in dealing for Culpepper. Others, however, might.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9279193

Am I crazy?
That other black guy?!?!

I've been one to believe he'd be traded.... and I realize he's pissing the owner off a lot, but why would Childress want this to happen?  Isn't he the one who turned that other black guy with similar skill sets into a great QB?

Am I crazy?
That other black guy?!?!
Warren Moon :shrug:

I think one plausible explanation for these trade talk rumors is the Vikings' frustration with C-Pep's demands for a new contract. They're a way of telling him, shut up and quit demanding more money, be grateful for what you have.

For those of you who have claimed that Culpepper is in anyway an inaccurate passer lets look at the facts:

+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| Passing | Rushing |

+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

| 1999 min | 1 | 0 0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 | 3 6 0 |

| 2000 min | 16 | 297 474 62.7 3937 8.3 33 16 | 90 470 7 |

| 2001 min | 11 | 235 366 64.2 2612 7.1 14 13 | 71 416 5 |

| 2002 min | 16 | 334 551 60.6 3859 7.0 18 23 | 105 603 10 |

| 2003 min | 14 | 295 454 65.0 3479 7.7 25 11 | 72 422 4 |

| 2004 min | 16 | 379 548 69.2 4717 8.6 39 11 | 89 406 2 |

| 2005 min | 7 | 139 216 64.4 1564 7.2 6 12 | 23 148 1 |

| TOTAL | 81 | 1679 2609 64.4 20168 7.7 135 86 | 453 2471 29 |

thats 64.4% completion percentage over his career so far.Dan Marino 59.4%

Joe Montana 63.2%

Brett Favre 61.5%

Troy Aikman 61.5%

Tom Brady 61.9%

Peyton Manning 63.9%

I guess every good Qb ever is inaccurate by the standards you guys are applying to Daunte Culpepper because I cannot find any Qb better than he has been in this category.

Problem is: will Culpepper be able to play in 2006?

Vikings are planning to be without his services, either by trade or injury. If they are looking to move without him and some team is willingly to trade & pay for a player who quite possibly will not see the field in 2006, I'd say do it now.

thats 64.4% completion percentage over his career so far.

Dan Marino 59.4%

Joe Montana 63.2%

Brett Favre 61.5%

Troy Aikman 61.5%

Tom Brady 61.9%

Peyton Manning 63.9%

I guess every good Qb ever is inaccurate by the standards you guys are applying to Daunte Culpepper because I cannot find any Qb better than he has been in this category.
Ben Roethlisberger: 64.7%

I saw Culpepper play live in college and the thing I was most impressed with was his accuracy. The guy was deadly accurate....in fact, I think he led the nation in accuracy in college.

The numbers show that hasn't changed much. The guy can flat-out play QB and play it at a very high level. He started 2005 in a slump and then got hurt, but when you look at the complete body of work, it's obvious that Daunte is very, very talented.

| 2004 min | 16 | 379 548 69.2 4717 8.6 39 11 | 89 406 2 |
And this stat line just jumps out at you. If Manning hadn't broken the TD record the same year, this would have been a legendary year. 39 TDs, 11 INTs and 69% completion? Ye Gods!

Users who are viewing this thread