What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Gems - Week 3 (4 Viewers)

What are people's thoughts on Goedert for this week/ ROS? As an Engram owner (and one who lost out on VMcD) in this current TE-wasteland, I'm considering adding him or Hooper as waiver/ FA adds this week. 

Keep an eye on practice reports for Ajayi and Sproles (both missed today).  Wendell Largewood Is a flex play.  Clement got more snaps.  But Largewood started the game, got 4 red zone opportunities including a goal line carry at the 4 and scored.  He also outproduced Clement despite 6 less touches.

Clement got 19 touches

Largewood 13 touches

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely grab Goedart over Hooper.
I don't think this is a no-brainer. Hooper has one of the better match-ups for TEs this week. It was really nice to see Goedert go from playing on 22% to 67% of the snaps and be as involved as he was but Pederson's offense has been a carousal so far this season. We've seen dudes like Carter (before he was cut) Gibson, Aiken, Matthews, Perkins (some rando TE playing on 60% of the snaps and seeing 6 targets in week 2 before vanishing) all catch passes from both Foles and Wentz. I'm not sure what Goadert's involvement will look like once Jeffery and Sproles are back. Nothing will surprise me.

So even though Goedert is much more talented I think I'd probably rather play Hooper this week. Probably. I don't know this position really is a crapshoot. 

I don't think this is a no-brainer. Hooper has one of the better match-ups for TEs this week. It was really nice to see Goedert go from playing on 22% to 67% of the snaps and be as involved as he was but Pederson's offense has been a carousal so far this season. We've seen dudes like Carter (before he was cut) Gibson, Aiken, Matthews, Perkins (some rando TE playing on 60% of the snaps and seeing 6 targets in week 2 before vanishing) all catch passes from both Foles and Wentz. I'm not sure what Goadert's involvement will look like once Jeffery and Sproles are back. Nothing will surprise me.

So even though Goedert is much more talented I think I'd probably rather play Hooper this week. Probably. I don't know this position really is a crapshoot. 
This. I would not be surprised to see Hooper outscore Goedert ROY. 

zftcg said:
Don't know enough about Atlanta's secondary to say. Trufant is still their CB1, right? Does he follow WRs around? Also, isn't Boyd still running most of his routes out of the slot?
My statement is beyond just Atlanta.  So if you are looking for one game, you might be good.

Some guy named Vyncint Smith played on 60% of the snaps last week. 

Keke has been injured but is making his way back and has a lot of talent. Not sure what a Vyncint Smith is but I would think Keke offers more upside as the season progresses. 
There is a chance he could already be ahead of Coutee.  Coutee got limited practices for a couple of weeks in a row and was still inactive.  Smith got his opportunity to play a lot because Ellington pulled a hamstring early in the game.  Smith's pro day numbers are pretty impressive too. A definite stash.

Mike Gesicki TE Mia.

The other TE, AJ Derby, is out this week.

The rookie had 21 snaps at 34% week one. Then 33 snaps at 55% week two. Then 28 snaps at 64% week three.  He has caught 4 of 5 targets (80%) including all three last week. They play the Patriots who haven't faced any talented TEs as of yet in Hou, Det, and Jax.  The Pats will also be without their best graded coverage LB this season (Bentley to IR).

Personally looking at Hurst in the Ravens. Baltimore is throwing the hell out the ball and Flacco likes his TE’s. He is easily their best TE and should start getting a majority of the snaps by midseason.

Ertz always gets hurt, so Goedert is a great stash. 

Those are probably the best lottery picks at TE. 

Personally looking at Hurst in the Ravens. Baltimore is throwing the hell out the ball and Flacco likes his TE’s. He is easily their best TE and should start getting a majority of the snaps by midseason.

Ertz always gets hurt, so Goedert is a great stash. 

Those are probably the best lottery picks at TE. 
Just snagged in Hurst in one league. 

I grabbed both Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant in a dyno where I had room. The offense is probably too spread out to feel good about starting either for now, but MIA is moving the ball and they’re making plays, and if someone gets hurt and it forces either of them into more touches I think they will keep producing with them. When I get the opportunity to short the “Amendola will stay healthy” stock for free I usually try to take it.

While most small fast guys aren’t Tyreek, I missed on Tyreek when he broke out based on the “too small” logic so I’m trying to keep a more open mind when a guy shows he’s a bona fide playmaker (and again, is free)

Agree with various above that three good TE lottery tickets are:

Dallas Goedert - ton of talent, we've seen the upside, question is usage. He may very well riff perfectly with Wentz.

Gisecki (Miami) - not as talented as Goedert, but very good, and if AJ Derby is out should see a big uptick in udage.

Hayden Hurst (BAL) - Ravens took him early in the draft for a reason. They love their TEs. Mark Andrews has emerged so he will have to fight to earn his reps, but is considered a "finished product" coming into the league and should be NFL ready.

someone dropped David Carr in my league. 6 pts per passing TD and 1 pt per 25 years passing.

I'm honestly thinking about putting a bid for him and drop Luck instead.

I have a love/hate relationship with Luck...sometimes I feel he could come back being great and sometimes I feel he's a waste....not sure if I should drop him for Carr.

someone dropped David Carr in my league. 6 pts per passing TD and 1 pt per 25 years passing.

I have a love/hate relationship with Luck...sometimes I feel he could come back being great and sometimes I feel he's a waste....not sure if I should drop him for Carr.
I would probably pass on David Carr... ;)

fwiw, i dropped carr after week 2. i'd jump on Luck with a hefty bid if he became available. carr sat on my waiver for a week before someone scooped him up with a whopping $1 bid.

otoh, i think carr will have a good to great back 9 of the season. pure speculation on my part having followed his career. I believe he's a capable qb with football smarts who is going through growing pains in learning gruden's system. this is probably also true for his receivers because i believe their receiving corp, on paper, is in the top half of the NFL. or at least should be. though it's just a route tree, how hard could that be.

I probably would have sat on him longer had it not been for the fact that he had the same bye week as my other qb (big ben).

fwiw, i dropped carr after week 2. i'd jump on Luck with a hefty bid if he became available. carr sat on my waiver for a week before someone scooped him up with a whopping $1 bid.

otoh, i think carr will have a good to great back 9 of the season. pure speculation on my part having followed his career. I believe he's a capable qb with football smarts who is going through growing pains in learning gruden's system. this is probably also true for his receivers because i believe their receiving corp, on paper, is in the top half of the NFL. or at least should be. though it's just a route tree, how hard could that be.

I probably would have sat on him longer had it not been for the fact that he had the same bye week as my other qb (big ben).
that's my issue with Luck...he really looks shacky at times and his receiving core is not that great. I'll most likely end up keeping luck but I feel like you that Carr will bounce back

Eli > Carr

I have Burton on a bye next week.  Picked up Hooper and not very excited about that.  Maybe drop him for Gisecki instead?

Shawnky said:
I have Burton on a bye next week.  Picked up Hooper and not very excited about that.  Maybe drop him for Gisecki instead?
While neither are exciting I would give Hooper a whirl over Gesicki. 

Is this one of the worst years ever for TE? After the Butt news I’m looking for a backup TE on the wire and I don’t even recognize half the names at the top of the list. Sheesh. 

It's awful. I have both Rudolph and Burton and thought wowza I'll be able to trade one and... Nope. I'll keep them both because I'm actually excited they go e me a few points each week or have the best shot at a TD but man overall the position is awful.

Alright - what about this? 

Ingram comes back next week

Saints cut Gillisee to make room

And next Sunday Gillisee is cutting into Sony's PT.  
Then you would have 1/4 of a small pie that may or may not really be there on any given Sunday?

But if you get the short yardage guy......
The Patriots offense looks lame right now.  Pivotal game tomorrow and the Dolphins could literally put a strangle hold on the division.  Gordon will be interesting, although hamstring injuries can linger.  All it takes is one extra burst to catch up to a ball and you're hurt again.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them at 9-7 or 8-8 this year.  Schedule still includes Chiefs, Packers, Vikings, etc.

Great chance for Miami to put a stake in it.  But, no, even the guy in a "Blount" role doesn't look appealing to me.  You have to have a better option than that!

IDP special: Maybe the best chance to grab Vontez Burfict before he comes off suspension next week, before waivers lock tomorrow. 

I picked him up today & not one but 2 people in my league texted me that they were gonna wait until next week (along with some words that’ll just turn into ###### on here).

don't be that guy. If you need LB help, this dude can put up monster games. And with Vigil playing so well & likely to shift to OLB, that should open up Burfict for solid production. (vigil’s a beast too, but he’s likely already rostered) 

IDP special: Maybe the best chance to grab Vontez Burfict before he comes off suspension next week, before waivers lock tomorrow. 

I picked him up today & not one but 2 people in my league texted me that they were gonna wait until next week (along with some words that’ll just turn into ###### on here).

don't be that guy. If you need LB help, this dude can put up monster games. And with Vigil playing so well & likely to shift to OLB, that should open up Burfict for solid production. (vigil’s a beast too, but he’s likely already rostered) 
I drafted him and have been hanging onto him waiting for him to come back! Can't wait! Even though I actually hate him.

Sutton is likely available in more than a few redrafts and could be a sneaky play.  Mahomes has lit up the NFL and pass D is the DEN D’s weak spot, especially with Brock hurt.  

KC has been much more atrocious against the pass than DEN and I would expect DEN to have to throw a lot more than they could want to keep pace with KC’s scoring.  Berry is hurt for KC also.

Sutton is already showing himself to be a tough cover.  If he gets into the 3 wides more (and Butt just moved to IR, so more 3 wides in the game is likely), he could get himself 8-9 targets - very possible in how this game projects to shake out - and he could have himself a very nice game.  Maybe 5-7 catches for 80-100 yds and a TD with a little upside if DEN sees him winning matchups early.

If KC gets out early in this game, watch out

Sutton is likely available in more than a few redrafts and could be a sneaky play.  Mahomes has lit up the NFL and pass D is the DEN D’s weak spot, especially with Brock hurt.  

KC has been much more atrocious against the pass than DEN and I would expect DEN to have to throw a lot more than they could want to keep pace with KC’s scoring.  Berry is hurt for KC also.

Sutton is already showing himself to be a tough cover.  If he gets into the 3 wides more (and Butt just moved to IR, so more 3 wides in the game is likely), he could get himself 8-9 targets - very possible in how this game projects to shake out - and he could have himself a very nice game.  Maybe 5-7 catches for 80-100 yds and a TD with a little upside if DEN sees him winning matchups early.

If KC gets out early in this game, watch out
Sutton has been getting plenty of PT. 82% & 78% of snaps the last 2 weeks. He was on the field for just 1 fewer snap than DT last week & played the same number of snaps Sanders did the previous week. Sutton is essentially a starter.

I believe he's a near lock to be a stud in time, but Keenum is going to hold him back somewhat. Sutton has had a couple near misses for big plays, though. He should've had a TD if the replay official wasn't blind.

KC is a good matchup on paper. Sutton's time is coming, just not sure when it'll be.

Sutton has been getting plenty of PT. 82% & 78% of snaps the last 2 weeks. He was on the field for just 1 fewer snap than DT last week.

I believe Sutton is a near lock to be a stud in time, but Keenum is going to hold him back somewhat. Sutton has had a couple near misses for big plays, though. He should've had a TD if the replay official wasn't blind.

KC is a good matchup on paper. Sutton's time is coming, just not sure when it'll be.

Yeah, thinking of this more as a sneaky play given the opportunity this week than as a season-long solution.

Users who are viewing this thread