What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Gems - Week 3 (1 Viewer)

Ridley - played a bad CB this week and produced bigtime.Julio played a great DB this week and produced OK numbers. Ridley will not get chances like this all season, he's #3 WR in ATL.in dynasty, he's the guy to own going forward.next year and beyond. the ONLY hope you have of him being a must-start weekly player is the patented Julio Jones midseason injury™..because ya know, it's coming. so Ridley might have a shot this season but other than that he's more of a fool's gold pick going forward.

Boyd is the real deal.

I agree with others on Golladay - he's incredible. he's here to stay, and he's a must start every week.

Miami defense
I disagree with you regarding Ridley.   Ridley has taken over the #2 WR on the team and the presence of Julio Jones on the other side will help Ridley all season long.  

I disagree with you regarding Ridley.   Ridley has taken over the #2 WR on the team and the presence of Julio Jones on the other side will help Ridley all season long.  
So will the fact that they've lost both starting safeties and a linebacker, and that defense is going to assure the Falcons need to pass a lot every week.

Missed out on Ridley, got Boyd. I'm reasonably happy; I think Boyd has a higher floor but lower ceiling than Ridley.

Now the question is whether to put him or Godwin in my starting lineup over Fitz.
I own Fitz in one league, and if I had Godwin I'd start Godwin over him without thinking twice.

Haven't seen much talk about him but I picked up Eifert this morning. Drafted Trey Burton, just can't trust Trubisky.

I figure as usual, Eifert should be good as long as he's actually on the field.

I own Fitz in one league, and if I had Godwin I'd start Godwin over him without thinking twice.

Haven't seen much talk about him but I picked up Eifert this morning. Drafted Trey Burton, just can't trust Trubisky.

I figure as usual, Eifert should be good as long as he's actually on the field.
Getting a little off-topic here, but FWIW, Fantasy Pros consensus ranking currently has them Boyd (35), Fitz (38) and Godwin (42) for non-PPR. That's probably a function of production so far this year, plus uncertainty around Green's status. Obviously if he's out/lilmited, Boyd becomes significantly more valuable.

there is the possibility he plays well against Chicago and keeps the job
Absolutely. Which is why I wouldn't ignore him on the ww. There's a very real  and massive upside he's shown thus far. But keeping the job is a week to week affair. One big clunker and he could be gone. He could play well against Chicago but it's not something I personally feel confident gambling on. 

The schedule doesn't seem particularly daunting and he plays a lot of home games to close out the year so weather should rarely be a negative factor. 

Getting a little off-topic here, but FWIW, Fantasy Pros consensus ranking currently has them Boyd (35), Fitz (38) and Godwin (42) for non-PPR. That's probably a function of production so far this year, plus uncertainty around Green's status. Obviously if he's out/lilmited, Boyd becomes significantly more valuable.
I actually completely missed the part about Boyd somehow. I'd play either over Larry at the moment.

Hopefully things get better with Rosen, but I'd wanna see it first.

Anyway, back to our scheduled programming.

Ridley - played a bad CB this week and produced bigtime.Julio played a great DB this week and produced OK numbers. Ridley will not get chances like this all season, he's #3 WR in ATL.in dynasty, he's the guy to own going forward.next year and beyond. the ONLY hope you have of him being a must-start weekly player is the patented Julio Jones midseason injury™..because ya know, it's coming. so Ridley might have a shot this season but other than that he's more of a fool's gold pick going forward.

Boyd is the real deal.

I agree with others on Golladay - he's incredible. he's here to stay, and he's a must start every week.

Miami defense
Miami lost 2 defensive tackles, including one for the year. But, Howard is officially a shutdown corner. 

Passed on McDonald to keep Njoku with Baker. Hopefully I don’t end up regretting.

Also scooped Dalton to replace Jimmy G. Tannehill, Mayfield, Flacco, Bortles still on the wire. 

Not sure that Boyd goes up with Green out.  Boyd may draw the top corner and the focus of the d.

Very pleased to land SEA D/ST with 10th priority - IMO they’re the streamer of the week. My league-mates are ? ? 

other options were DET (DAL) & AZ (SEA) but Seattle’s matchup with a rookie QB is just delicious. 

Not sure that Boyd goes up with Green out.  Boyd may draw the top corner and the focus of the d.
Don't know enough about Atlanta's secondary to say. Trufant is still their CB1, right? Does he follow WRs around? Also, isn't Boyd still running most of his routes out of the slot?

Lost out on Boyd, M. Williams, V. McDonald, etc...

Godwin still out there in my short bench league though. Debating dropping Cobb for him

hamsterdam said:
Passed on McDonald to keep Njoku with Baker. Hopefully I don’t end up regretting.

Also scooped Dalton to replace Jimmy G. Tannehill, Mayfield, Flacco, Bortles still on the wire.
I'd probably play Tannehill over Dalton this week, it depends on Green's status. I think Tannehill has thrown for 300+ yards in his last 3 or 4 games vs. NE. 

The thing about Godwin is that his production simply isn't sustainable. I'm a huge fan of the dude but Fitz isn't throwing for 6600 yards and 59 TDs and Godwin isn't scoring 16 TDs this year. He's only playing on 50% of the snaps. I think he's great depth but I'm still reluctant to start him because I'm expecting a 3/40/0 game soon. 

The thing about Godwin is that his production simply isn't sustainable. I'm a huge fan of the dude but Fitz isn't throwing for 6600 yards and 59 TDs and Godwin isn't scoring 16 TDs this year. He's only playing on 50% of the snaps. I think he's great depth but I'm still reluctant to start him because I'm expecting a 3/40/0 game soon. 
Talking about sustainable value and pace based on a 3-week sample size is a little silly though. 

Of course it’s not sustainable, but then neither is DeSean Jackson’s ability to stay healthy. 

If/when D-Jax gets hurt & Godwin takes over as the WR2, he likely sees a bump in targets, which may well balance the perceived drop-off that’s bound to come from the lack of sustainability. 

I think Godwin is a fine target as a WR3/Flex, and he’ll produce WR2 numbers some weeks. 

Evaluating players is sometimes more about having ealistic expectations for future production than pointing to everyone with a hot start & thunking they’ll sustain their past production. 

Literally any WR is due for a 3/40 soon. Antonio Brown just had a 50 yard game against one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. I’m just sayin. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking about sustainable value and pace based on a 3-week sample size is a little silly though.

Of course it’s not sustainable, but then neither is DeSean Jackson’s ability to stay healthy.

If/when D-Jax takes over as the WR2, he likely sees a bump in targets, which may well balance the perceived drop-off that’s bound to come from the lack of sustainability.

I think Godwin is a fine target as a WR3/Flex, and he’ll produce WR2 numbers some weeks.

Evaluating players is sometimes more about having ealistic expectations for future production than pointing to everyone with a hot start & thunking they’ll sustain their past production.

Literally any WR is due for a 3/40 soon. Antonio Brown just had a 50 yard game against one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. I’m just sayin.
How is talking about his pace silly when you admit that it's unsustainable? He's the WR22 in ppr on a ppg basis despite scoring a TD in every game. And he's obviously more likely to put up a 3/40 line than Brown since he plays on half the snaps and has seen less than half the targets Brown has.

Godwin's floor is low, that's my point. That's why I'm hesitant. My realistic expectation is that he will have WR4 or worse weeks if/when Fitz stops crushing every record in the books. Even someone like Fuller, who people rag on for his unsustainable efficiency, is at least on the field nearly 100% of time when he's healthy.

Or maybe the NFL has turned into Arena football and no pace is unsustainable anymore. It's possible.

How is talking about his pace silly when you admit that it's unsustainable? He's the WR22 in ppr on a ppg basis despite scoring a TD in every game. And he's obviously more likely to put up a 3/40 line than Brown since he plays on half the snaps and has seen less than half the targets Brown has.

Godwin's floor is low, that's my point. That's why I'm hesitant. My realistic expectation is that he will have WR4 or worse weeks if/when Fitz stops crushing every record in the books. Even someone like Fuller, who people rag on for his unsustainable efficiency, is at least on the field nearly 100% of time when he's healthy.

Or maybe the NFL has turned into Arena football and no pace is unsustainable anymore. It's possible.
And again - every WR has bad weeks. Diggs & Allen didn’t exactly perform like WR1’s this week. 

Im saying what he loses in perceived lack of sustainable production he may gain back in increased targets when DJax gets dinged up.

so maybe it is sustainable. 

You're saying a guy's unsustainability will become sustainable due to an injury that hasn't happened yet and may not happen. huh?  Also, there's no "perceived" lack of sustainable production here, it's just not.

And again - every WR has bad weeks. Diggs & Allen didn’t exactly perform like WR1’s this week.

Im saying what he loses in perceived lack of sustainable production he may gain back in increased targets when DJax gets dinged up.

so maybe it is sustainable.
Am I going to start this dude hoping DJax gets hurt in game? I was talking about being hesitant to start him, not roster him. 

You're saying a guy's unsustainability will become sustainable due to an injury that hasn't happened yet and may not happen. 

huh? 
There’s a deliberate irony here.

we’re all making guesses.

hes saying Godwin’s production isn’t sustainable despite the fact that it’s been sustainable up until this point. 

Regardless of predictions, Godwin should be a WR3 at worst this year.

and predicting a DJax injury is certainly a bit more likely than predicting Godwin’s drop-off considering how much the team talked up Godwin before the season & has delivered on it to date. ;)  

Am I going to start this dude hoping DJax gets hurt in game? I was talking about being hesitant to start him, not roster him. 
No, but you should probably start this dude since he’s consistently been a red zone & deep target.

i mean, only if you like having a WR who scores points of course.  :shrug:

By the way, speaking of DJax, I don’t even think it’ll take an injury - he was what, 3/37/0 this week? 

Godwin had more targets & better production on his targets.

Godwin may already be the WR2 in TB.

so I guess my point is, even if Fitz (or Winston) don’t keep throwing 50x a game (which I agree isn’t likely) that may be a wash if Godwin’s targets increase. 

Or maybe it’s just crazy talk. 

Imma roll out Godwin at Flex this week & see what happens. ;)  

There’s a deliberate irony here.

we’re all making guesses.

hes saying Godwin’s production isn’t sustainable despite the fact that it’s been sustainable up until this point. 

Regardless of predictions, Godwin should be a WR3 at worst this year.

and predicting a DJax injury is certainly a bit more likely than predicting Godwin’s drop-off considering how much the team talked up Godwin before the season & has delivered on it to date. ;)  
Godwin could play fantastic the rest of the season. His point is this TB offense in general is going to slow down. Fitz has thrown for 400+ yards and at least 3 TDs in every game thus far. That is not sustainable unless we’re talking about shattering every QB record in existence.

looking quickly Godwin caught 2 TDs from Winston and another TD  from Winston that was nullified by a penalty.  2 of Winston's 3 preseason TDs. 

So it's possible that a change of QB wouldn't have a drastic change...  

Godwin could play fantastic the rest of the season. His point is this TB offense in general is going to slow down. Fitz has thrown for 400+ yards and at least 3 TDs in every game thus far. That is not sustainable unless we’re talking about shattering every QB record in existence.
Part of me thinks I'm going to be sitting here talking about Godwin's 32/500/9 line in 5 weeks saying how Fitz's 70 TD pace is unsustainable.

Some guy bid $18 for Shep in my league ($100 FAAB Budget). Forgot that the group I play with, people overpay by a lot to get guys. 

Have you seen the Bucs defense? 

And they just IR’d their starting SS. 

Rod Higgins seems to be a favorite of Mayfield and gets a lot of snaps (70%) on offense. Baker looked at him a few times when he was inserted in the game.

Don't sleep on Christian Kirk, especially in keeper leagues. Wasn't gonna mention him till after waivers ran, but this guy could be the new #1 in an offense that will be playing from behind 90% of the time this year and there is return TD upside as well. There is also his long standing connection with the new ARZ QB (his roommate) since HS. Rosen & Kirk. In last week's game, when Rosen came in he went to Kirk 57% of the time (admittedly brief period of time 3 of 7 targets) with his targets. Kirk caught 3 of his 4 completions (75%) and Kirk ended up with 90 yards on the day. I was very worried Kirk would have been hyped this week but most sites missed the boat on Kirk. If he had scored a TD he would probably be up there with Boyd and Calvin Ridley as top adds this week, but his situation has improved greatly and pretty much got swept under the rug. Talent is there and here comes opportunity knocking. He has been named by some as a baby OBJ in his profile. Pure hype I know, but there is a lot to like here now with QB chemistry, situation and game flow. ROsen is a huge unkown but even if he throws picks he should still lean greatly on Kirk, just as Eli Manning sux at QB but can make OBJ more than a viable start.

I've seen setups like this turn to gold in the past. His price is probably free if he is in still the FA pool after waivers ran.

Users who are viewing this thread