What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Warning - Novel Length - A Forum Manifesto (2 Viewers)

Novel length.... pfft.  I wrote that much about Millard Fillmore.

Kidding I kid.  He wasn't worth that space.  I've written that much about Disney though.

So, general gist... be a grown up, have fun, lighten up, breathe and for the love of God don't do anything to lose the yoga pants thread.

Sums it up, right?
O'Hana alone is worth that much. 

Really hope this "strict" thing isn't taken to the extreme. The last thing anyone needs is another operationsports.com. That forum is a joke. Go into any thread more than 2 years old and you'll find 40-50% of the posters banned. No exaggeration.

Really hope this "strict" thing isn't taken to the extreme. The last thing anyone needs is another operationsports.com. That forum is a joke. Go into any thread more than 2 years old and you'll find 40-50% of the posters banned. No exaggeration.
I think we'll be fine here Shamrock. By and large it's already back on track. Thanks. 

Politics forum is great.  I had started spending a ton more time at Reddit just to get away from the nonsense here. 

Hopefully long term things improve everywhere. 

I havent been to the shark pool in a really long time. What is going on over there to bring this on. 

Joe, I appreciate that you're trying to clean the place up before the closing date on my purchase of the FFA, but really, like I told Dodds in our last con call, I'd be good with "broom clean."

Oats

Well written,  and good advice. 
 Last one. Know when to take a break. Social interaction online can be addicting. Know yourself and know when it's time to step away for a break. This relates to the real life community thing but please don't neglect the people closest to you in favor of a message board. 

Clayton gave me this definition of Trolling that feels spot on: making a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.  If we feel you're trying to just rile up people and start a fight, you'll be suspended.
As you well know, I tend to be contrarian.  I differ from most on my opinions and how I approach things.

This by definition upsets people and elicits angry responses.  In response to those responses I tend to poke back, but I stand by my positions. :lol:

I know many of my thoughts/positions/posts elicit these responses, should I not put my 2 cents in?  

Last edited by a moderator:
As you well know, I tend to be contrarian.  I differ from most on most on my opinions and how I approach things.

This by definition upsets people and elicits angry responses.  In response to those responses I tend to poke back, but I stand by my positions. :lol:

I know many of my thoughts/positions/posts elicit these responses, should I not put my 2 cents in?  
You know when it's your opinion and when you're just trying to provoke a response. Don't do the latter. 

A and B are the same study.  It did not correlate how people use language.  It just showed people with a larger vocabulary tended to also know more vulgar words also.    Just because they know them dies not mean they use them regularly.  
True.  I screwed up a link, but JB quoted/responded so quickly I didn't bother to edit.  One of the links I intended to include was this lecture.  It is long, but if you are interested in linguistics and what profanity reveals about the brain, it is an interesting listen.

True.  I screwed up a link, but JB quoted/responded so quickly I didn't bother to edit.  One of the links I intended to include was this lecture.  It is long, but if you are interested in linguistics and what profanity reveals about the brain, it is an interesting listen.
All good, no worries. And seriously, I understand your point. I just am choosing to do this our way as I feel strongly it's what's worked for us. 

Last one. Know when to take a break. Social interaction online can be addicting. Know yourself and know when it's time to step away for a break. This relates to the real life community thing but please don't neglect the people closest to you in favor of a message board. 
You think that was written with me in mind?  ;)

If so, not to worry. I have a very healthy relationship with my family, always have, and nothing that I do on the internet, including this forum, has ever gotten in the way of that. 

You think that was written with me in mind?  ;)

If so, not to worry. I have a very healthy relationship with my family, always have, and nothing that I do on the internet, including this forum, has ever gotten in the way of that. 
Sorry but no. It's for everyone. Myself included. 

Here's the short version:  Keep it PG Rated and Be Excellent To One Another

Tim wasn't even talking to you.

...says the alias
Says the person who really enjoys & loves these boards . This place has a good community feel to it . I buy 2 subs every year for the contest and to support the business . I want the business to succeed , if it does our community thrives . Im guessing no one here is infallible . I'm all for the reassertion of the rules .

Says the person who really enjoys & loves these boards . This place has a good community feel to it . I buy 2 subs every year for the contest and to support the business . I want the business to succeed , if it does our community thrives . Im guessing no one here is infallible . I'm all for the reassertion of the rules .
All very admirable.  I am sure your business and community contributions are very much appreciated.  I would think management would also appreciate you following the rules you are claiming to support.

That's a good question. For sure discussing things like should it be legal or not is cool. And stuff like where to buy in the states where it's legal. 
Is discussion about DFS permissible, given that it's legal in some states?

I'm not trying to point out a hypocrisy (I'm all for DFS discussion), I would just posit that "legality" shouldn't always be the guiding light. Alcohol can ruin lives. Marijuana can have a lot of incredibly beneficial effects, especially for people who are dealing with chronic pain issues. Someone could ruin their life with DFS. 

Would you be OK if someone discussed their gay marriage three years ago, before it became legal in all 50 states? 

Joe, out of curiosity, what caused your renewed interest in the FFA?  Felt like we hadn't seen you here in years, and now you're matching Tim in daily post count.  What gives, GB?

Is discussion about DFS permissible, given that it's legal in some states?

I'm not trying to point out a hypocrisy (I'm all for DFS discussion), I would just posit that "legality" shouldn't always be the guiding light. Alcohol can ruin lives. Marijuana can have a lot of incredibly beneficial effects, especially for people who are dealing with chronic pain issues. Someone could ruin their life with DFS. 

Would you be OK if someone discussed their gay marriage three years ago, before it became legal in all 50 states? 

Thanks. I don't think this has been a big deal in the past and I don't expect it to be in the future. 

It's a public forum. Don't discuss things here you wouldn't want Police / FBI / CIA etc to read. Talking about whether something should be legal or not is of course fine. (not that it matters but I'm in favor or all the states passing marijuana legalization laws). Of course talking about gay marriage and whether it should be legal was fine.

But talking about whether something should be legal or not is different than talk about how to actively do something illegal.

Same as your DFS example. Interestingly, a guy in Washington can talk about where he's legally buying Marijuana. But talk about how the Washington guy can get around his state law and illegally play DFS is not. A guy in Ohio can talk about how he's playing DFS but not ask for help for him to illegally buying marijuana. 

And I know people drive 5 miles over the speed limit or buy a raffle ticket that's not official and such. We're not going to try and parse out every example with a legal examination. This hasn't been a problem in the past and I don't anticipate it being one in the future. Thanks.

Joe, out of curiosity, what caused your renewed interest in the FFA?  Felt like we hadn't seen you here in years, and now you're matching Tim in daily post count.  What gives, GB?
Hi otis. The political subforum started things. I wanted to see how people were posting and they showed me they can be awesome. Then this Manifesto thing yesterday meant a lot of posts. Don't worry, I'll get back to more quiet. 

Hi otis. The political subforum started things. I wanted to see how people were posting and they showed me they can be awesome. Then this Manifesto thing yesterday meant a lot of posts. Don't worry, I'll get back to more quiet. 
Good to have you back -- was just wondering what caused it.  I was imagining your youngest kid headed off to college, or you sold off the boat business, or some other major life change that had you sitting around your house in a robe bored and looking for a way to kill time.

Hey Joe,

Nice manifesto.  :thumbup:

I have a question about links:

Oftentimes, some news worthy tweets, articles, etc. from the non-mainstream press contain harsh language. Should we avoid posting links to these items? Or perhaps, rather than link to them, post a redacted version (e.g. not just relying on the language filter, but rather an actual - "[Redacted]" placeholder?)

I assume that we should not post links to humor and other non-news-worthy things that contain above PG level material, thus, I am only curious about true news worthy items.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread