What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Warren Sapp Out BountyGate WhistleBlower (1 Viewer)

Sure, I went to an extreme to prove a point. Ok, how about this. Someone stole a picture of your family from your desk at work. Wouldn't you want a co-worker to tell you who did it? Is that innocent enough for you, or do you need every possible example spelled out? And I'd say intentionally trying to hurt someone, potentially ending their career or worse, is serious enough. But hey, I'm not a tough guy that thinks snitches are scum and if you're doing something wrong it's ok as long as you don't get caught.
:goodposting: Agree 100%
But it wasnt a picture, or a murder, or a even $10 dollars - it was a guy calling out a bitter rat/snitch who cried because he got cut. Keep trying to compare football, a game played by millionaires, to everyday life. Good luck.
Pretty sure it was a guy snitching on the wrong snitch. :loco: :rolleyes:
Whether it's the right guy or not remains to be seen. If it were Shockey people will do anything to hide him and he will want to remain hidden...Sapp isnt hiding at all...

Sure, I went to an extreme to prove a point. Ok, how about this. Someone stole a picture of your family from your desk at work. Wouldn't you want a co-worker to tell you who did it? Is that innocent enough for you, or do you need every possible example spelled out? And I'd say intentionally trying to hurt someone, potentially ending their career or worse, is serious enough. But hey, I'm not a tough guy that thinks snitches are scum and if you're doing something wrong it's ok as long as you don't get caught.
:goodposting: Agree 100%
But it wasnt a picture, or a murder, or a even $10 dollars - it was a guy calling out a bitter rat/snitch who cried because he got cut. Keep trying to compare football, a game played by millionaires, to everyday life. Good luck.
So these football players don't exist in everyday life? How about the guys living with mental illness or depression because of the brain injuries they've suffered? Or the ones living with crippling pain from the injuries they've suffered? Yes, the sport is an inherently violent sport, but intentional injury is outside of the game of football. Trying to add more pain and misery to someone's life after football than what they'll already suffer is disgusting.But hey, they're rich. Screw the rich. Amiright?
He's comparing the analogies...not whether they love everyday life or not.That's how I took it anyway...

I'm still wondering why we're putting Shockey up on some moral pedestal when he didn't blow the whistle while he was with the Saints--it was only after he went to a competing team. It's funny that his morals didn't bother him while he was winning a Superbowl with the Saints.

I'm genuinely at a loss as to why this would be something that Sapp should not report. This isn't like a witness against the mafia, can someone explain to me why this is such a bad thing?
Think it was lame of Sapp to "out" Shockey as the "snitch". First of all, it's just hearsay and Sapp said he didn't check the facts, but he believed his source. Secondly, Sapp has repeatedly said that they should be punished and that there was no place for this kind of thing in football. By calling Shockey a snitch, he's saying that even though it's wrong, nothing should be said about it. Thirdly...Hey Sapp :potkettle: for snitching on Shockey.
FYI...What Sapp did is in no way snitching.
Sapp slandered Shockey on national tv, and could be sued for it. James Brown said this morning it was an employee under Sean Payton and Gregg Williams who told. He said it was not a player. He said the employee felt like he was mistreated under Payton and Williams, and went to the league and told them about the bounty program.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm genuinely at a loss as to why this would be something that Sapp should not report. This isn't like a witness against the mafia, can someone explain to me why this is such a bad thing?
Think it was lame of Sapp to "out" Shockey as the "snitch". First of all, it's just hearsay and Sapp said he didn't check the facts, but he believed his source. Secondly, Sapp has repeatedly said that they should be punished and that there was no place for this kind of thing in football. By calling Shockey a snitch, he's saying that even though it's wrong, nothing should be said about it. Thirdly...Hey Sapp :potkettle: for snitching on Shockey.
Sapp slandered Shockey on national tv, and could be sued for it. James Brown said this morning it was an employee under Sean Payton and Gregg Williams who told. He said it was not a player. He said the employee felt like he was mistreated under Payton and Williams, and went to the league and told them about the bounty program.
And if that's the case then the whole thread is for not...As far as the slander and him potentially being sued for it, I don't care...that's his issue (Sapp's) and he'll have to deal with it.

I'm still wondering why we're putting Shockey up on some moral pedestal when he didn't blow the whistle while he was with the Saints--it was only after he went to a competing team. It's funny that his morals didn't bother him while he was winning a Superbowl with the Saints.
Because it's easier to bash Sapp if we leave that part out....

[<br><br><br>?  How is what he did not snitching?  He found out some information and ratted the guy out to the world.  <div><br></div><div>Anyways, all of you who are still arguing whether or not hits were legal should go to another thread because that has nothing to do with the point.</div><div><br></div><div>This is the point.<br><br>If I am in charge, this guy is fired yesterday. He obviously cannot be trusted to utilize social media in a professional manner. Think of it this way; you are at work (wherever it may be that you work). Something screwed up happens and people are fired/suspended.  Obviously people are talking about what happened among themselves and what not, and you decide to take it upon yourself to accuse a person in your organization of blowing the lid off of this ON TWITTER. </div><div><br></div><div>For anyone who doesn't understand how this is beyond stupid, well...I don't even know what to say. Heck, if I went on Twitter and started tweeting about stuff that happens at work, confidential or not, people would think I was a moron and I would be canned. <br>

</div><div><br></div><div>If Sapp is not fired, I will be quite surprised.</div>

Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com, who has solid sources within NFL headquarters, took to Shockey’s defense — though he admitted he doesn’t like Shockey — and claimed he knew who the whistleblower is, and it’s not Shockey.
link

And if that's the case then the whole thread is for not...
So many in here were so quick to crucify Shockey, and he didn't do it.

It's possible and you'll never really know...they keep the rats hidden at all costs. Some (Like Canseco) have more balls...other have none.

It's possible and you'll never really know...they keep the rats hidden at all costs. Some (Like Canseco) have more balls...other have none.
Huh? It's not possible. They know who blew the whistle. It was a former employee of Payton and Williams. It was not Shockey or any other player or former player of the Saints.

Admittedly, I didn't read the whole thread but why is someone who reports someone breaking the rules a "snitch" or a "rat" or are our expectations of behavior in professional industries now ruled by prison and street codes of conduct?

Apparently there are a lot of Tonya Harding supporters on this board.
I was wondering when someone would bring her up. It's the most apt comparison I can think of.
Come on. Is hitting someone in the knee with a pipe something that takes place within a figure skating competition. The only similarity is the intention to hurt someone. The Saints may have had intent but there actions happened on the field within the context of the game. Until I see data on the percentage of illegal hits for the Saints versus other teams the the only issue I have is the coaches running the bounty system and paying players /celebrating injuries. Within the context of the game I don't care what a players motivation is as long as they play hard and within the written and even un-written rules. Some people play for money, some play for fun, some play because they have a screw loose and like to hit people maybe even like hurting people. But that's why there are refs, penalties, and commissioners. So that when people play outside the rules, regardless of motivation they get penalized which is what happened here.

Admittedly, I didn't read the whole thread but why is someone who reports someone breaking the rules a "snitch" or a "rat" or are our expectations of behavior in professional industries now ruled by prison and street codes of conduct?
Neither.They're ruled by THEIR professional industry...not yours...not prison...not street codes.There's a reason why there was one rat/snitch/ whistleblower and not a bunch...

So what does that say about all the Saints that never said anything? What does that say about NFL poster boy Drew Brees? Unless you truly believe that the leader and captain of the team didn't know what was going on while players and coaches on both sides of the ball did-you can't crucify Shockey for blowing the whistle 'too late' and not condemn those that never blew the whistle. I am not a Shockey fan (and it appears that he wasn't the whistle-blower anyways) but at a minimum, anyone in that has been in that locker room for the last few years and has said nothing is at least complacent in this situation.

So what does that say about all the Saints that never said anything? What does that say about NFL poster boy Drew Brees? Unless you truly believe that the leader and captain of the team didn't know what was going on while players and coaches on both sides of the ball did-you can't crucify Shockey for blowing the whistle 'too late' and not condemn those that never blew the whistle. I am not a Shockey fan (and it appears that he wasn't the whistle-blower anyways) but at a minimum, anyone in that has been in that locker room for the last few years and has said nothing is at least complacent in this situation.
O'yeah .. wheres that coming from.

First, if Sapp tweeted Shockey's name based on one source, that is unbelievably sloppy work and, if it is his habit to do so, then he should be fired by NFLN.

Second, the identity of the whistleblower is irrelevant to the story unless, possibly, the allegations were proven untrue. Then there's a case of misconduct by the whistleblower. But the allegations appear to have been both serious and true. To stigmatize the whistleblower for reporting something both serious and factual is very curious behavior to me, to put it nicely.

Read nine posts above your's, guy. Multiple reports are coming out that it was in fact a former asst. coach-not Shockey-that was the whistle blower.

I was wondering when someone would bring her up. It's the most apt comparison I can think of.
Come on. Is hitting someone in the knee with a pipe something that takes place within a figure skating competition. The only similarity is the intention to hurt someone.
Paying someone to injure an opponent is paying someone to injure an opponent.

Read nine posts above your's, guy. Multiple reports are coming out that it was in fact a former asst. coach-not Shockey-that was the whistle blower.
Is that the same link for Freeman's quote with the very next sentance being this?
Whether Sapp is right or wrong about Shockey remains to be seen.

Huh? It's not possible. They know who blew the whistle. It was a former employee of Payton and Williams. It was not Shockey or any other player or former player of the Saints.
Who is this?
The answers lurk above your post. Mike Freeman from CBS Sports, and James Brown.
James Brown said this morning it was an employee under Sean Payton and Gregg Williams who told. He said it was not a player. He said the employee felt like he was mistreated under Payton and Williams, and went to the league and told them about the bounty program.
Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com, who has solid sources within NFL headquarters, took to Shockey’s defense — though he admitted he doesn’t like Shockey — and claimed he knew who the whistleblower is, and it’s not Shockey.

Is that the same link for Freeman's quote with the very next sentance being this?
Whether Sapp is right or wrong about Shockey remains to be seen.
Yes exactly. Freeman's quote is referencing his knowledge of the incident after discussing it with people involved in the situation. As is Mike Florio's opinion in that same article. The sentence you reference is in no way referring to any legitimate source. Its barely speculation by 'joebucsfan.com'. its just a segue. It's nothing more. HTH

Come on. Is hitting someone in the knee with a pipe something that takes place within a figure skating competition. The only similarity is the intention to hurt someone.
Paying someone to injure an opponent is paying someone to injure an opponent.
I agree about that. But its not the same thing as an NFL player with "the intent" to hurt someone still having to play within the rules of the game, against opposing player with "the intent" to protect their player, and with referees to enforce the rules. I agree the team shouldn't pay them for hurting players but within the game intent shouldn't matter. If an opposing team thinks someone is trying to intentionally hurt their guy than they should have hurt that player before he had a chance. The money and organization of the bounty system by coaches (not players) is the issue. And I agree they should be punished for it.

Speaking for myself, I'm not putting Shockey on a pedestal for (allegedly) being the whistleblower. That's not really the point, imo.Sapp had no business naming *any* names, whether it was Shockey or anyone else.

Yes exactly. Freeman's quote is referencing his knowledge of the incident after discussing it with people involved in the situation. As is Mike Florio's opinion in that same article. The sentence you reference is in no way referring to any legitimate source. Its barely speculation by 'joebucsfan.com'. its just a segue. It's nothing more. HTH
Exactly...and Sapp's comments yesterday were from his sources as well. The fact that people don't know exactley what happens escapes a ton of people on this board--almost as if they can't handle it.Sapp has his source...as does Florio and Freeman. Do you know for sure that any of them know or are you just picking sides? The grown-up in me is willing conceed that I don't know who really knows what. If Sapp is wrong (I have said this before) the whole thread is for not...sort of in the same vein as a "Peyon Manning is going to Tennessee" thread is now.

I was waiting for the guy who would compare telling on a murder of someone family and football....head to different extremes much?
This isn't "football"--this is intentionally injuring human beings, rewarding it and celebrating it. It's not murder but it's disgusting.
Freaking hilarious...Every NFL game is chalked full of people intending to hurt other human beings...
:lmao:
:goodposting: I know, I see a lot of "high and mighty" views in here. The hit on Warner was clean, I dont care who hit him and if he got paid extra. It was clean, as a matter of fact i have seen very few dirty hits.

Its ok to complain when a player gets $1500 to make a hit on a player and hurt him, but its no big deal to sign Mario williams to a gazillion dollar contract to do the same thing. I'm sure some naive people will say he is not trying to hurt people, then i will laugh at you. We have been told since kids to hit a player to make him not get up.

The high fake moral ground is whats disgusting. Go ahead lay into me for disagreeing with you, call me names and tell me how stupid I am, blah blah blah.
Could I just buy you a Fresca and tell ya everything is gonna be OK?
Cool response. Many valid points you just made. Kudos to you. I love FBG for the comedy it offers in certain threads. Watching people cry and complain over someone snitching on a snitch is just funny and ironic.Saying Sapp should get fired for reporting something, really, I wonder if everyones morals are the same behind their four walls.

Actually can you get me that Fresca while I watch all these fake football ANALysts report their opinion which no one reads anyways, unless its a response to their own comment. The only reason every thread is full of hate and nothing positive, unless its complimenting a mod, is because the people who disagree will never post because they do not want to deal with the childish insults that come their way for disagreeing.
Do you take that straight up?

Exactly...and Sapp's comments yesterday were from his sources as well. The fact that people don't know exactley what happens escapes a ton of people on this board--almost as if they can't handle it.Sapp has his source...as does Florio and Freeman. Do you know for sure that any of them know or are you just picking sides? The grown-up in me is willing conceed that I don't know who really knows what. If Sapp is wrong (I have said this before) the whole thread is for not...sort of in the same vein as a "Peyon Manning is going to Tennessee" thread is now.
I definitely understand that I don't know for sure. Here's what I do know- 1. Sapp, to my knowledge, has cited no one as to where he came by his information (not even a loose 'a source close to the team tells me..') 2. Multiple reporters have come out citing sources that completely and directly re-buff Sapp's claim. 3. Sapp, in doing this may have broken the law; if not, he has at a minimum, proven himself to be a media analyst that no source would ever, ever, trust in confidence again. Either way, it appears to me that NFL Network can't keep him around-which I am personally ecstatic about.

Sapp has his source...as does Florio and Freeman. Do you know for sure that any of them know or are you just picking sides? The grown-up in me is willing conceed that I don't know who really knows what. If Sapp is wrong (I have said this before) the whole thread is for not...sort of in the same vein as a "Peyon Manning is going to Tennessee" thread is now.
Florio stated that Sapp was wrong. Sapp didn't respond to PFT, he just ran his mouth. Sapp (or his source, or both) also appear to have some sort of anti-Shockey agenda, valid or not. Florio doesn't sound like he has anything against Sapp...just stating that he believes Sapp's tweet and appearance on NFL Network to discuss the issue are incorrect and were irresponsible. So, yes, many are picking a side based on the above information... and it isn't Sapp's side.

This idea of the Saints "playing within the rules on the field" seems to be contradicted by the statements handing out the punishments that said that the Saints were among the most penalized teams for personal fouls, roughing the passer, etc. during that time period. I believe it said they were in the top 3 all 3 years.

So, no, they clearly weren't playing within the rules on the field and the bounty system may have been a reason why.

This idea of the Saints "playing within the rules on the field" seems to be contradicted by the statements handing out the punishments that said that the Saints were among the most penalized teams for personal fouls, roughing the passer, etc. during that time period. I believe it said they were in the top 3 all 3 years.So, no, they clearly weren't playing within the rules on the field and the bounty system may have been a reason why.
What's that say about the teams who were more penalized? Should the NFL launch an investigation for each of them?

I definitely understand that I don't know for sure. Here's what I do know- 1. Sapp, to my knowledge, has cited no one as to where he came by his information (not even a loose 'a source close to the team tells me..') 2. Multiple reporters have come out citing sources that completely and directly re-buff Sapp's claim. 3. Sapp, in doing this may have broken the law; if not, he has at a minimum, proven himself to be a media analyst that no source would ever, ever, trust in confidence again. Either way, it appears to me that NFL Network can't keep him around-which I am personally ecstatic about.
So you now agree that it wasn't just speculation by 'joebucsfan.com'? And that we, in fact, still do not know for sure who's right and who's wrong?

I don't want to sidetrack the point you replied to in my earlier post. Some are posting these reports from other "sources" as fact when in fact they are not.

Snitches get stitches.

Assuming he knows this, I'm guessing he doesn't expect to play again. And if he doesn't know this, he's about to find out.

Snitches get stitches.

Assuming he knows this, I'm guessing he doesn't expect to play again. And if he doesn't know this, he's about to find out.
Can we ban the jackasses that keep repeating this garbage?Guess what loser, YOU'RE NOT BEING ORIGINAL. Your fellow morons have said this 12 different times in this thread.

Snitches get stitches.

I keep seeing this phrase. It's not very clever and not very accurate. It hasn't been confirmed that it's Shockey yet. Who will be out to get him? The guys who had the bounty system in place? Why would anybody else have a gripe with what he did? Isn't everybody else happier that a bunch of cheap shot artists have been exposed?

Snitches get stitches.

Can we ban the jackasses that keep repeating this garbage?Guess what loser, YOU'RE NOT BEING ORIGINAL. Your fellow morons have said this 12 different times in this thread.
Hmmmmmmmmmm. I didn't read the entire thread.You clearly did and took the time to respond to my post with such anger.

And I'm the loser. Got it.

I havent said the "snitches get stitches" phrase here at all but some of you are feeding right into it and taking it very serious...like we're not on a message board or something...

Snitches get stitches.

I keep seeing this phrase. It's not very clever and not very accurate. It hasn't been confirmed that it's Shockey yet. Who will be out to get him? The guys who had the bounty system in place? Why would anybody else have a gripe with what he did? Isn't everybody else happier that a bunch of cheap shot artists have been exposed?
Was a tongue in cheek response. WHY SO SERIOUS? (is that unoriginal response better?)FWIW, I commend him for (allegedly) "snitching". Ballsy and it needed to be stopped.

This idea of the Saints "playing within the rules on the field" seems to be contradicted by the statements handing out the punishments that said that the Saints were among the most penalized teams for personal fouls, roughing the passer, etc. during that time period. I believe it said they were in the top 3 all 3 years.So, no, they clearly weren't playing within the rules on the field and the bounty system may have been a reason why.
What's that say about the teams who were more penalized? Should the NFL launch an investigation for each of them?
I just went back and read the info and first I should correct myself. The Saints were in the top 5 in roughing the passer penalties all 3 years, in the top 5 in unnecessary roughness penalties in 2009 and 2011 and 6th in 2010.The league statement doesn't specifically state where among the top 5 in all those years the Saints fell. It could be 1st,4th and 5th; 2nd,2nd, 5th. Whatever. But it's clear that they were among the top 5 teams each year in those categories.As for your concern about "the other 2 teams" (which would be 4 now that I got the info right), I'm not sure where we'd find the information, but I don't think that we can assume that the other 4 teams each year were consistent from year to year. It could be very possible that the Saints were the only team to appear in the top 5 all 3 years. I think you would agree that a team consistently being among the top 5 in roughness penalties would be different than a team just appearing there once, yes?

So you now agree that it wasn't just speculation by 'joebucsfan.com'? And that we, in fact, still do not know for sure who's right and who's wrong?

I don't want to sidetrack the point you replied to in my earlier post. Some are posting these reports from other "sources" as fact when in fact they are not.
Gee, let me thing, we have at least half a dozen well respected journalists with strong ties/sources with the league offices, teams and players all coming forward and saying that they've talked to their sources and know that it wasn't Shockey. Several of those well respected journalists have said that they know it was a specific assistant coach. On the other hand, we have Warren Sapp, a former player with some friends still in the league but zero sources inside the league or inside teams, telling us via Twitter that a very good source that he trusts told him that it was Jeremy Shockey and very professionally calling him a "snitch". Something that Shockey strongly denies.

Boy, I wonder who I should trust?

Snitches get stitches.

:lmao: So, I looked back and exactly one other person posted that phrase. 1 < 12 in case you were wondering.

Neither.They're ruled by THEIR professional industry...not yours...not prison...not street codes.

There's a reason why there was one rat/snitch/ whistleblower and not a bunch...
"It's easy to stand in the crowd but it takes courage to stand alone."

Gee, let me thing, we have at least half a dozen well respected journalists with strong ties/sources with the league offices, teams and players all coming forward and saying that they've talked to their sources and know that it wasn't Shockey. Several of those well respected journalists have said that they know it was a specific assistant coach. On the other hand, we have Warren Sapp, a former player with some friends still in the league but zero sources inside the league or inside teams, telling us via Twitter that a very good source that he trusts told him that it was Jeremy Shockey and very professionally calling him a "snitch". Something that Shockey strongly denies. Boy, I wonder who I should trust?
Are these the same reporters that are called blowhard idiots when they say something wrong or against your opinion?And I don't know what sources Sapp has...but you do...

Snitches get stitches.

Was a tongue in cheek response. WHY SO SERIOUS? (is that unoriginal response better?)FWIW, I commend him for (allegedly) "snitching". Ballsy and it needed to be stopped.
I have a terrible reputation here for having no sense of humor.It's an interesting sidebar issue of an interesting event. I like discussing it. Some of the people repeating "snitches get stitches" are not making flippant remarks, the discussion is just out of their depth.

'doowain said:
'RUSF18 said:
'doowain said:
Snitches get stitches.

:lmao: So, I looked back and exactly one other person posted that phrase. 1 < 12 in case you were wondering.
Apologies, I was confusing this thread with the 900 post bounty thread. I'll edit my post to say "this board".

'Avery said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
'Avery said:
Neither.They're ruled by THEIR professional industry...not yours...not prison...not street codes.

There's a reason why there was one rat/snitch/ whistleblower and not a bunch...
"It's easy to stand in the crowd but it takes courage to stand alone."
Yes it does...unless you're unidentified...

'Bigboy10182000 said:
'GroveDiesel said:
Gee, let me thing, we have at least half a dozen well respected journalists with strong ties/sources with the league offices, teams and players all coming forward and saying that they've talked to their sources and know that it wasn't Shockey. Several of those well respected journalists have said that they know it was a specific assistant coach. On the other hand, we have Warren Sapp, a former player with some friends still in the league but zero sources inside the league or inside teams, telling us via Twitter that a very good source that he trusts told him that it was Jeremy Shockey and very professionally calling him a "snitch". Something that Shockey strongly denies. Boy, I wonder who I should trust?
Are these the same reporters that are called blowhard idiots when they say something wrong or against your opinion?And I don't know what sources Sapp has...but you do...
Where did I say I had sources? Why are you avoiding the other half a dozen reporters like Peter King, Mike Florio, Jason La Canforna, Jay Glazer who all say Sapp is wrong? I am capable of making judgement calls and my judgement is that I'm going to trust those guys and their sources over Sapp and his. If you want to choose to believe Warren Sapp over every other reporter that has reported on this, you're free to do so. And I'm free to point out how silly I think that decision is and how improbable it is that you and Warren Sapp are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread