What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Washington Football Team to announce new name Groundhog Day (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
Punxsawtaney Phil and his shadow won't be the only stars of Groundhog Day next month.  The Washington Football Team revealed Tuesday that it will announce its new team and logo on Feb. 2, just 11 days before the Super Bowl.  While we don't know what the new name will be, team president Jason Wright let everyone know what it wouldn't be: Wolves or RedWolves.  Those names were two of the most popular with fans, but Wright explained why WFT wouldn't be moving forward with either one.

"Early on we understood Wolves — or some variation of it — was one of our fan favorites. As I've said all along, we take feedback from our fans seriously, and because of your interest in this name, we put Wolves on a list of options to explore fully. Once we began looking into Wolves, however, we became aware of a notable challenge: trademarks held by other teams would limit our ability to make the name our own. And without Wolves, variations like RedWolves wouldn't have been viable either for these and other reasons.

Understanding the weight and importance of our team name, and excitement around other name options — both internally and within our fan base — we didn't want to risk going down a route that could be dotted with legal hurdles. The prospect of years of litigation wasn't something that we wanted you, our fans, to have to bear as you begin to embrace a new brand."

Wright dropped no obvious hints about the new team name, but there might be one hidden in plain sight.  WFT chose Feb. 2 as the day to reveal to reveal its new name and logo, which doesn't appear to have any significance to the NFL or WFT.  But it is Groundhog Day--the day a groundhog named Phil comes out of his hole in Punxsawtaney, Pennsylvania, and tells us whether there will be six more weeks of winter.

Did Washington choose Feb. 2 for a reason?  Is it to indicate that it'll be choosing the "Groundhogs" as its new team name?  Or did it just pick a random Wednesday before the Super Bowl to make the announcement?  We only have to wait 29 days to find out.

If you ask me, it seems like the name is guaranteed to be Redhogs.  What does everyone else think?

Scheduling the announcement on Groundhog Day (a Wednesday) certainly appears to give a clue that "Hogs" will be prominent.

Maybe the Washington Football fans will get lucky and Daniel Snyder will announce he's selling the team instead?  Until that occurs, they'll probably continue to feel like they are the ones trapped in a never-ending cycle of repeated mistakes season after season after season...

Commanders, Admirals, Armada, Brigade, Sentinels, Defenders, Red Hogs, Presidents are the finalists. 

I personally like Brigade.

Since the movie was about a guy stuck in an endless loop, I think the new name is Bloodthirsty Savages.

Since the last offensive Washington team name was changed to something completely random, I'm going with the Washington Fairies

Last edited by a moderator:
Just add an "I” to their current name.

WFTI

which stands for

Worst Franchise There Is

and this is from a Raiders fan. 

I actually like Brigade and think it sounds pretty good.

But yes, all signs are pointing towards Red Hogs.

Feel like they shouldn't be using "red" anything though, and should fully brand themselves against what their last team name was.  It's almost like them saying "oh you didn't like redskins?  Fine, we'll keep everything the same but just change the last syllable."

Deamon said:
Commanders, Admirals, Armada, Brigade, Sentinels, Defenders, Red Hogs, Presidents are the finalists. 

Of that list, I like Sentinels.

Maybe they'll just be the Hogs. Or the Smurfs.

Deamon said:

Washington Admirals and Washington Sentinels have the best "sound" to me and I imagine we'd get used to either one in a year or two. 

I dislike any names that are one collective thing.  Utah Jazz, Orlando Magic, half the WNBA teams.  A professional Pittsburg NFL'er can say he's a Steeler.  One from Dallas is a Cowboy.  But an NBA'er in Utah is a Jazz?  How can one guy be a Brigade? 

"The prospect of years of litigation wasn't something that we wanted you, our fans, to have to bear as you begin to embrace a new brand."

What happens to people that at a certain point in their career they can no longer speak non-corporate English?

Just googled red hog and mostly got images of the red river hog, which looks like it's wearing a COVID mask, so I guess it's fitting. Actually, looks more like a WWI gas mask. 

Are you still debating what the new name is? It's Admirals

Pretty clear when CBS discovered and reported that if you went to the website WashingtonAdmirals.com it redirected to the WFT website. Now it sends you to the NFL crucial catch page

.washingtonadmirals.com

Seems like once their error was revealed they changed it.

Pretty clear when CBS discovered and reported that if you went to the website WashingtonAdmirals.com it redirected to the WFT website. Now it sends you to the NFL crucial catch page

.washingtonadmirals.com

I really like this name. Phonetically, it rolls off the tongue nicely. It has a "federal government" vibe to it that makes sense for their location. 
Love the detective work that discovered the redirect to WFT and now to an NFL page (why an NFL page of all things? ;)  )

The Washington Weathermen 

The Washington Squirrels 

The Washington Blizzards 

The Washington Shadows 

what day are they going to announce this on you say?

Bri said:
Renegades
There was a time when our music
Was something called the Big Street beat
People would gather from all around
To get down to the big sound
You had to be a renegade those days
To take a man to the dance floor

Say jam sucker (jam sucker)
Say jam sucker (jam sucker)
Say move sucker (move sucker)
Say groove sucker (move sucker)
Say dance sucker (dance sucker)
Say dance sucker (dance sucker)
Now move sucker (move sucker)
Now move sucker (move sucker)

I dislike any names that are one collective thing.  Utah Jazz, Orlando Magic, half the WNBA teams.  A professional Pittsburg NFL'er can say he's a Steeler.  One from Dallas is a Cowboy.  But an NBA'er in Utah is a Jazz?  How can one guy be a Brigade? 
Utah player is a Jazzman

brigade player will be a Brigadier

.washingtonadmirals.com

I don't think this is the smoking gun that people act like it is. Whoever owns washingtonadmirals.com can make it direct wherever they want

Users who are viewing this thread