What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waukesha WI - Christmas Parade Attacked by Driver (Darrell Brooks Jr) in an SUV (1 Viewer)

Coach Morris Buttermaker said:
Why would they? It was a car! They put out this tweet just now

CNN

@CNN

·1h

Waukesha will hold a moment of silence today, marking one week since a car drove through a city Christmas parade, killing six people and injuring scores of others.
I'm confused about what we're supposed to be outraged about.

ETA - I didn't intend to drag you back into this I just read your post first and responded. 

I dont think people are calling it out because they think a autonomous car was driving, I think they're upset because they didn't say the truth which was that a crazed maniac ran down old ladies and kids. In an era of clickbait titles its even more strange that they didnt hype up the headline for more clicks. 
Isn't this a good thing?

If Brooks is determined to have done this intentionally based on political/social "objectives" then, by all means, label him a terrorist.
Have we heard anything about this, BTW?  There hasn't been much news coming out about why this dude did what he did.

Not outrage, just funny how the headlines change depending on the narrative that they what to spin.

White Supremist Rams Assault SUV Into Crowd Slaughtering Children and Grandmas.

vs.

Car Runs into Crowd 
It would help if you dialed back the hyperbole.

I'm confused about what we're supposed to be outraged about.
They want headlines that suggest intent, even though it’s unclear, and blame the crime on failed liberal policy and/or BLM. Plus an official apology for not painting Kyle Rittenhouse in a favorable light.

How and why?

Why is one death from terrorism more worthy of coverage than multiple by a non-terrorist?  

You already know the answer, but continue to pretend its not true.

Not sure I said anything of more worthy of coverage.  Both have gotten a ton of coverage.  We were discussing the type of coverage they got...and the links provided thus far...seem to be accurately portraying that incident for what it was.  As well as the current situation being accurately portrayed.  BOth even had the same headlines calling it a car hitting someone or plowing through vs. the person.

I haven't really argued anything else other than that.

Have we heard anything about this, BTW?  There hasn't been much news coming out about why this dude did what he did.
Not really...either he isn't talking or they haven't found anything linking his pro-BLM and anti-white statements to the actually murders he committed  (or both).  Outside of that...what else are we going to really hear until he says something or something links his opinions to what he did.    Thus far...any connection is speculative at best.

This is literally what we’ve been accusing  the left of doing and just like the playbook states, now you’re going to project it onto the right. 

It’s happening time and time again. 

Except the very headlines from Charlottesville brought up in here did the same thing...showed car plows through crowd type headlines.  Seems it was pretty consistent reporting it that way in a headline (hell, its the title of the thread in the FFA and that isn't from some far lefty poster).

They want headlines that suggest intent, even though it’s unclear, and blame the crime on failed liberal policy and/or BLM. Plus an official apology for not painting Kyle Rittenhouse in a favorable light.
I would settle for headlines that accurately portrayed the situation instead of just casually mentioning inanimate objects that did something.

I'd prefer headlines not be editorialized.  I am finding it really difficult to find the outrage in the coverage of the Charlottesville car crash compared to this one.

Man who killed a woman when he rammed his car into Charlottesville counterprotest gets life in prison (CNN)

1 dead, 19 injured after car plows into protesters in Charlottesville (CBS)

Ohio Man Charged With Murder In Fatal Car Attack On Anti-White Nationalist March (NPR)

That second one...the car did it...I don't recall much outrage over such a headline

It’s mindless, partisan griping. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think it is entirely right to ask the media to do a better job, and perhaps to do their job at all, and to stop being some kind of social justice group masquerading as journalism.
I think it’s reasonable to question whether or not there is anything the media could ever do that would change the perception, mostly among conservatives, that it (the media) is some kind of social justice group masquerading as journalism. I don’t believe that there is, which suggests strongly to me that the issue is not with the media but with those who hold this perception. 

I think it’s reasonable to question whether or not there is anything the media could ever do that would change the perception, mostly among conservatives, that it (the media) is some kind of social justice group masquerading as journalism. I don’t believe that there is, which suggests strongly to me that the issue is not with the media but with those who hold this perception. 
There he is!!! Been wondering when you would come in and defend the media. Took way too long. 

I suggest that there is.

Stop mischaracterizing the actual events.  Speak truthfully and without "political correctness".

It is obvious when it is happening, it really needs to stop.  And the inclination to avoid reporting something because it might be offensive has to stop.  

They are supposed to be the guards against the powerful, to speak the truth even if it is not what we want to hear. Too often when they present data it is clearly with a bias, and so people such as myself do not trust them

I suggest that there is.

Stop mischaracterizing the actual events.  Speak truthfully and without "political correctness".

It is obvious when it is happening, it really needs to stop.  And the inclination to avoid reporting something because it might be offensive has to stop.  

They are supposed to be the guards against the powerful, to speak the truth even if it is not what we want to hear. Too often when they present data it is clearly with a bias, and so people such as myself do not trust them
In certain examples I might agree with you. In most examples I suspect I wouldn’t. I believe that the media generally speaks the truth, and that includes CNN and MSNBC (news reporting, not opinion shows.) 

In this particular case Tim's steadfast and blind defense of the media is about as backwards as it gets.  Anyone who does not see the polarized and partisan slant of virtually every media and social media outlet, is out of touch with reality.  
I was just making a joke.  

Daft

You defended them and you didn't know what the complaint was. I don't what else to call such a reaction. 
I hadn’t even posted about it until I explained I was confused by why people were upset - how could I have defended them before I knew what people are talking about?  You’re just wrong. 

Summer Wheat said:
Biden would gain no political points with a visit there so why bother?
Because sometimes one the does the right thing regardless of scoring "political points"?
Agreed. However, don't for one second believe that if Biden did go, the same people would be saying he only did it to score political points.

We have seen the same thing with Bush and Obama and Trump. You are criticized either way. I do wish they would err on the side of just saying #### it and going anyway, but I get it

Agreed. However, don't for one second believe that if Biden did go, the same people would be saying he only did it to score political points.

VIDEO: Joe Biden Says Supporting 1994 Crime Bill Was a Mistake | NowThis Oct 15, 2020

Joe Biden said it was a mistake to support the 1994 crime bill after a GOP voter pressed him on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqh6FMfzG-I

VIDEO: Biden Faces Backlash from NAACP over 1994 Crime Bill Jun 11, 2020

Joe Biden acknowledged Wednesday that questions raised about his support for the 1994 crime bill are “legitimate.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unXkkvNxIfU

VIDEO: Reporters Ask How Biden Can Solve Crime Now, Bringing Up Maligned 1994 Crime Bill He Supported Jun 22, 2021

Jen Psaki responds to a question about Biden's work on the 1994 crime bill during a White House Press Briefing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFmS9TySKPk

If Biden goes to Waukesha, he has to face a media narrative that says application of his 1994 Crime Bill would have kept someone like Darrell Brooks incarcerated. But Biden said it was a mistake during the 2020 cycle. He was able to doubletalk his way out of most of that controversy because the majority of the MSM was complicit in their left leaning activism. And Jen Psaki was given softball after softball question to dance around the issue.

But there's no more dancing anymore. Biden either has to recant his recant, in which case it confirms his ugly record in Congress that many view is egregiously racist. Or he has to double down and then be seen admitting that he would pick identity politics over civil order to the lethal threat against his own citizens. It would dovetail into the narrative that the average American has been abandoned and would need to fight on their own to survive.

Biden was in Congress for so long that the cultural tone changed and he can't escape his previous record. Whatever criticism people have about Trump and AOC, there just wasn't a lengthy established political resume to attack.

As soon as Biden stepped foot in Waukesha, he then incentivizes all Americans to dig deeper and become high information voters. The current Democratic Party would collapse if that happened. Only cognitive dissonance and intentional media spin can try to patch over Biden's long record of racism and his new current self appointed role as Czar of Social Justice and Woke.

In this particular case Tim's steadfast and blind defense of the media is about as backwards as it gets.  Anyone who does not see the polarized and partisan slant of virtually every media and social media outlet, is out of touch with reality.  
couldn't agree more.

I’m not going to spend any more time defending CNN - I’ll just say I think it’s off base implying they were trying to make people think a driver wasn’t involved.  Can you clarify if that’s what you are implying?  Maybe I’m misreading it.
AAA this is why I thought you were defending CNN. Don't want to beat a dead horse as it isn't really important, was just clarifying that I don't think I pulled that out of thin air since you were defending them and it appears you didn't understand the context of the criticisms since you thought we were saying CNN was trying to send it down a weird driverless avenue.   

Perhaps I misinterpreted your intent and you meant it to mean in your lifetime or something.

Like I "I don't want to spend anymore time defending CNN, ever" 

I was just making a joke.  

Direct Headline: UPDATE: San Jose Homicide Suspects Released Without Posting Bail; Cops Tweet ‘The System Has Failed

“Suspects Anzures and Castillo were arrested for homicide 29. The DA filed charges on both. They are no longer in jail. The criminal justice system believes they are fine out of custody without bail.”

“Yes you read that correctly, two homicide suspects, charged, out of custody,” the post continued. “Our community deserves better, the victim’s family deserve better. The taking of someone’s life is the ultimate crime. The system has failed.”

San Jose News December 1, 2021 at 8:56 am

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/12/01/san-jose-homicide-suspects-released-without-posting-bail-the-system-has-failed/

Direct Headline: Gun sales have skyrocketed in California

Californians are on a gun-buying spree. In 2020, 1.26 million guns were purchased in the state, a 56% increase from the previous year, and the most since at least 2000. Sales data through May show gun purchases in California remain well above pre-pandemic levels. Research suggests this increased circulation of firearms could foreshadow more gun violence.

Abhinanda Bhattacharyya June 22, 2021 1:19 p.m

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/article/Over-a-million-guns-were-sold-in-California-last-16247714.php

No time for your jokes.

The type of bail "reform" that allowed Darrell Brooks back onto the streets is still ongoing in large Blue strongholds all over the country.

When the "system fails", then civilians have no choice but to rely on themselves. Unchecked criminals let loose to hunt down innocent hard working law abiding tax paying Americans and their children as prey and record numbers of firearms being sold to first time gun owners. Does no one see this combination as having a completely tragic and lethally inevitable collision course on a mass scale?

Doesn't anyone see the ugly repugnant irony of many of these completely woke elected officials pushing for these insane policies are likely to be living in posh gated communities and having their own personal armed private security?

Everything is "all a joke" until it's your own kids or the kids of someone here being bracketed by these newly released violent criminals.

It would help if you dialed back the hyperbole.

Direct Headline: San Francisco businesses struggle to afford private law enforcement: 'It's just not feasible'

San Francisco GOP Chairman John Dennis ... also warned the city's leadership and anti-police rhetoric have contributed to the crime surge, not just in San Francisco, but across the country...

"I think they've been swept up in an ideological movement within the Democrat Party, but… they're facing the music of reality right now," he explained. "Whenever you hear 'defund the police,' crime goes up every single time."

By Bailee Hill  12/1/21

https://www.foxnews.com/media/san-francisco-businesses-struggle-afford-private-law-enforcement-its-just-not-feasible

Direct Headline: S.F. Mayor to Redirect Police Funds to Black Community

“This is a concrete, bold, and immediate step towards true reparations for black people,” says Supervisor Shamann Walton.

By Brock Keeling Jun 5, 2020, 12:34pm PDT

https://sf.curbed.com/2020/6/5/21281670/sf-mayor-defund-police-black-community-sfpd

Mindlessly inept SF Mayor London Breed's solution to deal with criminals being released again and again to prey on small business owners ( who are providing jobs and a tax base for the city and state no less) is to tell those same shopkeepers to hire off duty police officers with their own money to provide regular patrols.

This after Breed pushed to take money away from SFPD to enforce what many are calling modern day "reparations"

Apparently all the taxes, license fees, costs to comply with regulations, etc, etc, already paid by these small business owners, many of them minorities themselves,  don't matter here.

Apparently that these small businesses are creating jobs that benefit the city overall doesn't matter here as well.

Apparently that owning a small business, esp for these minorities, represents fulfillment of "The American Dream" doesn't matter one single bit.

Is this the kind of "hyperbole" that should be told to the people of Waukesha? Figure it out yourselves once we drive public policy to let these violent criminals back out to hunt you down?

Users who are viewing this thread