What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We want cheatsheets on Wednesdays! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other sites have cheatsheets earlier, but I would argue that most are very bad. The top guys may be similar, but the core of their rankings is to just reiterate who tops the actual results, etc. This is because they spend little time on these rankings and then wait for people like us to grind through immense calculations and then they adjust accordingly after seeing our results.

The injury report does not come out until Wednesday night. And if you don't know who practiced Wednesday (the first real day of practice, how sure are you that a player will play?)

The Game Predictor that I have created takes in all of these different inputs.

- Injury Info (MRIs + NFL Injury Report)

- Historical Matchup Data

- Last 4 Weeks Matchup Data

- Historical Trends between the teams

- Target Data

- Actual results

- Depth Charts

- NFL Line

- FP Matchup Data

- Weather Report

- Players in the News

This process needs all of these inputs to crunch the baseline numbers. This process takes me approximately 5 hours to do each week. I start as soon as the injury report gets released (usually around 4-6 pm PT)

From here, I break down the players into projections. This takes about 6 hours to do correctly.

Other sites do projections that make no sense whatsoever. Some predict full numbers for TDs, etc. Most of the numbers that other sites produce do not match NFL historical norms. Add up all the yards the QBs are suppose to get. Some sites overstate this by as much as 10-15%.

Do I think our numbers are better? Yes I know they are. Because they are derived within a framework that makes sense. Our data matches historical norms. Our data makes sense to how the game is likely to be played. The TDs, interceptions, etc are listed as fractions so they add up to the expectations.

These numbers then feed the custom cheatsheets, the lineup dominator, etc.

I understand people wanting numbers sooner, but this is basically a case of faster meaning significant lower quality. That is not the approach we want to take here.

We release the upgrades, waiver wire, injury report, Top 200 forward, FP matchups, target info, etc all before Wednesday to guide people to what free agents to pick up. But to accurately predict the games and player projections for the week ahead, we need until Thursday to get these released. And to even do that, it means I usually do not sleep Wednesday night.
Hope you got a good nights sleep. I am in full agreement. There is a logical process here as just defined by David Dodds. Patience is the key.I have played fantasy football for 20+ years now, going back to when USA Today used to run its annual contest in the newspaper. I still have the t-shirt that I won. My how things have changed and evolved.

I have also followed this site for the last 3 or is it 4 years now. My year end results speak for themselves, day in and day out this site is a WINNER. A perfect science it is not. Leading edge - Yes ;)

Speaking from a fantasy football junkie standpoint......I understand that I too am impatient as I scour for useful tidbits everyday. Now it's Thursday and I will be looking forward to receiving the hard work that David, Joe and Team will put together. I follow the upgrades, downgrades, the top 200, the news, the forums - And I also put it all into perspective - balance in life. I am aware that too much of this is unhealthy.

Namaste,

Rand

Team Smokin'

i personally dont care when it comes out i do enough research on many sites to come to my conclusion on who to add and drop... but as i was reading i noticed people saying that on other sites the WW sheets are out on tuesdays etc... so why dont you copy that sheet paste it on the FBG site and let everyone attack the sheet together and we will make our own and you can get more opinions?!!? wouldnt the minds of everyone in the forum be better then a couple of guys from 1 site determine who you should take? if you notice that footballguys are getting swamped then help them out you owe them that much at least whether you pay or not.

I've got a question totally unrelated to this topic though, hope someone can help.

I just bought a new computer, and at the bottom of my screen used to show the user names of all the people in this thread.

Now, there's nothing down there. Is there something I can do that would turn that particular feature back on?
Read the thread pinned at the top of the FFA. Short answer--no.

I've got a question totally unrelated to this topic though, hope someone can help.

I just bought a new computer, and at the bottom of my screen used to show the user names of all the people in this thread.

Now, there's nothing down there. Is there something I can do that would turn that particular feature back on?
You better take that computer back.

Now, there's nothing down there.  Is there something I can do that would turn that particular feature back on?
You better take that computer back.
:lmao:

I see Dodds between a rock and hard spot. If he turns out the projections a day early and they are 90% of the correctness of usual due to info at time of projecting, he will catch EVEN more grief for being off.Some here complain that this player or that player should be higher or lower. Others complain that the info is not when they need it. Cannot please everyone all of the time.Keep up the good work Dodds.

If I had to make my decision at this point on content (including timing) alone, this year I would have gone another route (just being honest as I love this site and it has great value). That had not been the case before, but I believe FBGs is facing increased and better competition.

To have more information earlier in the day and the week may become important for FBGs to sustain its paid customer base... but that is a decision Joe and all will have to make for themselves.
Koya makes a good point. If people want cheatsheets earlier, it would behoove Dobbs to provide a product that meets the demand. These would simply be called preliminary and would be updated later in the week. If you don't like the preliminary cheatsheets or question their accuracy, don't use them.

This is because they spend little time on these rankings and then wait for people like us to grind through immense calculations and then they adjust accordingly after seeing our results.
Whoa. Which site steal's FBG's projections?

Do people really make that many decisions based on the info provided? As "FF experts" I would think that most would be able to figure out who to start/pickup based on their rosters and who the teams they are playing that week. It's not that hard. It's a nice reference but most of the info a decent FF'er should know anyway....

If the cheat sheets came out earlier the projections would be less accurate, this goes for any type projections not just Fantasy Football projections.Also I would bet if the cheat sheets came out a day earlier and a players situation changes before Sunday people would complain that FBG was "wrong" and "How could he be ranked that high?".I would rather wait longer and get more accurate information. When most players are hurt the news on the extent of the injury is not known until the player has an MRI or other medical tests done which normally takes place Monday or Tuesday and then the results of the tests made public. This information is vital to the projections and hence the cheat sheets.Just my 2 cents.

I appreciate the question and sentiment as I play in one league that also has a Wednesday waiver deadline.I also understand and appreciate Joe's responses.Let me just add that there are at least three competitive sites that do some kind of preliminary weekly ranking early Wednesday, before the Injury reports are available and THEN do a finalized ranking afterward - whether that is Friday or they continue to update. My suggestion is to make them different names so that people realize the later editions are more complete with updated information, but the customers who would like something early to use would have a preliminary tool as well.

I don't understand the big deal here. Is the reason you want them published early for WW purposes?Try reading:Offensive UpgradesTop 200 ForwardPlayers in the NewsWaiver Wire EmailStart a topic on this boardThis information should give you much better information that deciding blindly which player to go with based on a cheatsheet with somebody's preliminary rankings before they even know if a player is going to play or not.How would you like to have not had a sniff of Tyson Thompson or ATrain because they published the cheatsheets with J. Jones as 24 carries for 100 and a touch?Then you would have everyone complaining that you didn't rank him correctly because of injury.They can't keep everyone happy. The best idea would be to see if you can get your league to take a vote and move waivers back a day if you are really that concerned.

They can't keep everyone happy.
Umm... Yes, they can. Simply put out a preliminary cheatsheet with a disclaimer. I fail to see how this would affect those opposed.
Because the next week someone else can ##### that they have waivers due Tuesday, or that they need cheat sheets for their scoring format, where TDs are worth 3.5 points, a yard is work a hot dog bun, and players get bonus points for vowels in their last names.God forbid people be forced to do some good old-fashioned thinking around here.

Hey JB, can you please e-mail me a good financial plan and make dental and doctor's appointments for me, and also e-mail me the phone number of the girl I should marry. I am just a hair away from being able to live without being forced to think a single thing the rest of my life.

TIA

Seriously people how much more do you want?

This Monday I received six (SIX!!!) e-mails from FBGs, didn't you?

There was:

1) the sleeper watch re: Tony Fisher

2) the quick injury wrap up

3) breaking news re: deuce mcallister

4) Footballguys Week 6 Waiver Wire Report

5) breaking news re: mike martz

6) Injury report and game wrap up notification

On Tuesday I received five (FIVE!!!) more e-mails, didn't you?

There was:

1) Update on Mike Martz

2) Week 6 upgrades/downgrades

3) breaking news re: roethlesberger

4) Spin decoder re: Thomas Jones injury

5) roethlesberger update

And that is just the e-mails!

What more do you need here to make an informed waiver wire decision? How will a rankings list help you if all this data does not? I swear as I am writing this I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the complainers. I will always defend a persons right to complain but this...is just...yeesh! It's like I am dealing with my brother's kid.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

There was:

There was:

1) Update on Mike Martz

5) roethlesberger update

And that is just the e-mails!

What more do you need here to make an informed waiver wire decision? How will a rankings list help you if all this data does not? I swear as I am writing this I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the complainers. I will always defend a persons right to complain but this...is just...yeesh! It's like I am dealing with my brother's kid.

There are people on these boards who will not be satisfied until Joe Bryant is logging into their accounts and running their fantasy teams.

There was:

There was:

1) Update on Mike Martz

5) roethlesberger update

I don't think anyone here is complaining. Simply stating that there are other sites out there that fulfill a perceived "need" that FBG does not. If these requests are ignored, then they may not be subscribers next year. I realize you, personally, do not care but FBG should be cognizant of the desires of their market base.

There was:

There was:

1) Update on Mike Martz

5) roethlesberger update

I don't think anyone here is complaining. Simply stating that there are other sites out there that fulfill a perceived "need" that FBG does not. If these requests are ignored, then they may not be subscribers next year. I realize you, personally, do not care but FBG should be cognizant of the desires of their market base.
I accept what you are saying poly but please explain to me how everything that I cited above, as well as the items provided by FBGs others have cited, that all come out before Wednesday do not address the needs of the concerned parties?The entire premise of this thread seems at the very least uninformed and quite possibly :loco:

FBG weekly cheatsheets are the best in the business. I basically let it guide my lineup decisions. It is what I pay FBG for. Please don't change a thing.

There was:

There was:

1) Update on Mike Martz

3)  breaking news re: roethlesberger

5) roethlesberger update

What more do you need here to make an informed waiver wire decision?  How will a rankings list help you if all this data does not?  I swear as I am writing this I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the complainers.  I will always defend a persons right to complain but this...is just...yeesh!  It's like I am dealing with my brother's kid.

I accept what you are saying poly but please explain to me how everything that I cited above, as well as the items provided by FBGs others have cited, that all come out before Wednesday do not address the needs of the concerned parties?The entire premise of this thread seems at the very least uninformed and quite possibly :loco:
When trying to provide a 1-week fill in for a player on a bye, the top 200 forward provides little meaningful info. As for the Waiver Wire report, I believe that there was significant griping this week over how 13 of the 15 were already snapped up in most leagues. The rest of the reports you mentioned, while useful, is not comprehensive. The fact that several people have chimed in in support of this thread means that there are many others that feel the same way. Whether you acknowledge others opinions as being relevant or not is up to you. However, when it somes to customer service it is usually wise to accomodate all reasonable requests, if at all possible.

who's we, speak for yourself.I think for the $$$ we spend we get one heck of a service.KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!

There was:

There was:

1) Update on Mike Martz

5) roethlesberger update

When trying to provide a 1-week fill in for a player on a bye, the top 200 forward provides little meaningful info. As for the Waiver Wire report, I believe that there was significant griping this week over how 13 of the 15 were already snapped up in most leagues. The rest of the reports you mentioned, while useful, is not comprehensive. The fact that several people have chimed in in support of this thread means that there are many others that feel the same way. Whether you acknowledge others opinions as being relevant or not is up to you. However, when it somes to customer service it is usually wise to accomodate all reasonable requests, if at all possible.
Issues addressed, though I disagree with your assessment of their usefullness, but hey that is what is great about this country, you can disagree with me and I can shoot someone in Florida if they look at me funny.So how does a list of names help MORE than the information already provided?

Great, now I get to use preliminary cheetsheets instead of the completed ones. I am off of work tomorrow and don't have access to a computer the rest of the weekend.

Note: Many people have asked that we release a preliminary cheatsheet each week prior to the actual projections (to help with waiver wire transactions). We will release this Preliminary Cheatsheet on Wednesday going forward. Because this created some unplanned effort today, the projections will be released a little later today. We will be back on our regular schedule next week.
Wow. Yet another reason FBG's is by far the best site. Those that question it's usefulness need not use it. On behalf of the rest of us, Thanks! :thumbup:

Note: Many people have asked that we release a preliminary cheatsheet each week prior to the actual projections (to help with waiver wire transactions). We will release this Preliminary Cheatsheet on Wednesday going forward. Because this created some unplanned effort today, the projections will be released a little later today. We will be back on our regular schedule next week.
Wow. Yet another reason FBG's is by far the best site. Those that question it's usefulness need not use it. On behalf of the rest of us, Thanks! :thumbup:
Agreed - nice work guys. This is my first year on FBG, but won't be my last :thumbup:

If I had to make my decision at this point on content (including timing) alone, this year I would have gone another route (just being honest as I love this site and it has great value).  That had not been the case before, but I believe FBGs is facing increased and better competition.

To have more information earlier in the day and the week may become important for FBGs to sustain its paid customer base... but that is a decision Joe and all will have to make for themselves.
Koya makes a good point. If people want cheatsheets earlier, it would behoove Dobbs to provide a product that meets the demand. These would simply be called preliminary and would be updated later in the week. If you don't like the preliminary cheatsheets or question their accuracy, don't use them.
Thanks. Again, my sole concern here is that FBGs is as strong in their market as anyone - I happen to feel this is kind of a big family. The early sheets would mean nothing to me, and as I noted, nothing to many who actually would post on the board.But the silent millions of fantasy players out there are likely those that might fork over the 25 bucks to see a list early. Simply business here - the hardcore junkie might not recognize the value there, but someone who just wants a list to read feels there is.

For me, one word sums up why the cheetsheets before pickups can be valuable: Defense.I'd assume most of us don't really need FBG to tell us that Holcomb will be the starter and that is an upgrade from being the backup. Or breaking news that Julius Jones got hurt.However, for IDP, where players value swing greatly on a weekly basis and there is little information out there, the story is different. It is not uncommon for a FBG ranked top 10 or 15 IDP player to move up 20 spots and be available on the waiver wire. Having cheetsheets available on Thursday doesn't help when pickups are Tuesday.My .02, I'm a subscriber because the info is great, but actionable information (for me IDP) on Tuesday would be a huge difference IMO.

Can we get them on Tuesday, I really need them for my waivers that go through on tuesday..... :ph34r:

Or at least by my waivers that go through on Thursday night at 9. Aren't they usually up by now ? Are they late just because I have 2 starters out injured and 2 more on a bye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread