What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wealth Tax (1 Viewer)

Seriously, why so vindictive about someone wanting to keep their money they've already paid income tax on?  Either way, I don't think it will be an issue as it's beyond unlikely to pass and then if it did would have the constitutionality issue.
  1. I never said I agree with the OP or intent of thread. A new item.
  2. We have a debt that needs to be paid down. Through our progressive taxation.
  3. It cant be paid for the poorest among us, it has to come from the richest as the debt is too large.
  4. You can try to take some of it from expenses, but not a majority of it unless you are willing to weaken the US.
I am not vindictive about it, Im realistic.

1. I never said I agree with the OP or intent of thread. A new item.
  2. We have a debt that needs to be paid down. Through our progressive taxation.
  3. It cant be paid for the poorest among us, it has to come from the richest as the debt is too large.
  4. You can try to take some of it from expenses, but not a majority of it unless you are willing to weaken the US.
I am not vindictive about it, Im realistic.
From a personal belief/political standpoint, I'm all for reducing the debt.  I just haven't heard this idea being floated to do that.  It's usually tied to more entitlement spending.  I actually am of the belief at some point we are going to have to raise revenue to reduce the debt, or at least we should before we are forced to.  I don't think a wealth tax is the vehicle for it.  Ideally yes we should cut costs along with that.  But as with anything else, nobody wants to give up anything so costs never go down.  Pie in the sky for me is we raise some revenue and cut some costs, not totally focusing on just one side of the equation, until we get debt eliminated or to some reasonable level and then those rates are reversed or placed at a lower sustainable level.  The more likely scenario I'm afraid is we get all the programs and spending associated with people who suggest things and only the cost side increases, leading to eventual forced austerity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now part two of the question would be what do you say to candidates who are proposing using this "Wealth Tax" for social programs?  If the thinking is that the tax is unconstitutional, won't work or too hard to manage, how will these programs funded or will they just not be instituted?

Why aren't more people pointing to the holes in these ideas? 
Programs never get implemented the way a presidential candidate wants.  Congress and the realities of government get in the way.  I care more about the spirit behind what they want to do.  For example, if a goal is to tax the rich more to help the poor and middle class with the cost of health care, I’m on board. The particulars can be figured out later.

That said, something like this being proposed that is unconstitutional from the start rubs me wrong.  It’s one of the reasons I won’t support Warren or Bernie in the primary.

Maurile Tremblay said:
*Anne and Brad both earn $1 million. Anne spends it on cocaine. Brad puts it in his savings account to pay for his kids' college tuition. Brad pays a wealth tax while Anne does not because Brad saved while Anne consumed. When people are taxed on their savings, they tend to shift away from savings toward consumption -- they tend to act more like Anne and less like Brad. This is arguably not ideal, as savings rates are already arguably lower than optimal (and relatedly, consumer debt is arguably higher than optimal).
Brad is in a household with assets over $50 million.  He already is in a position to consume more than he could ever need in a lifetime.  But your argument is that a 2% tax is going to convince him not to send his kid to college?

Gustavo Fring said:
If there are wealthy Americans that want to voluntarily pay an additional tax, by all means, go for it. 

If the government wants to solve the budget issue, they need to look themselves in the mirror and their spending habits.  They need to decrease spending first by cutting funding for some programs.  Adding a wealth tax won't help the budget crisis, the government will find a way to burn that money in an inefficient manner.  Plus, rich people will just move their money abroad as the article in the OP states.  

Can we start by fixing this?  https://news.yahoo.com/trump-promised-to-save-billions-of-dollars-on-military-contracts-then-the-pentagon-pushed-out-the-official-responsible-for-doing-that-090005221.html

Maurile Tremblay said:
Getting set up to monitor everyone's net worth (domestic and foreign) would be expensive and intrusive and would take a while.
Why do we need to monitor everyone's net worth?  Warren's tax is estimated to hit about 75,000 families.  Let's just monitor them.

dawgtrails said:
A minimum wage worker here in MN would make just over 20K a year. I venture that 2K would be far more imprtant to them
most people live within their means

make $20,000 or $60,000 or $200,000 and almost everyone spends their income - no, I still say 10% is equally important to everyone

beef said:
There's just not enough IRS agents to do the hard work in recovering the lost revenues.  Hiring freezes and shutdowns have made it even tougher.  
Hell, I can barely get through when I try to call.  Probably close to 1/2 of the time, it's that call volume is too high and I'll need to call back later.  The IRS is pretty strapped right now.

Brad is in a household with assets over $50 million.  He already is in a position to consume more than he could ever need in a lifetime.  But your argument is that a 2% tax is going to convince him not to send his kid to college?
In general, a tax on savings shifts behavior from savings to consumption.

If we're talking about a 2% tax on someone who already has $50 million, the effect may be negligible. But it could certainly affect whether people decide to save that much in the first place. I suppose then the public policy question becomes whether we want them to save that much. Savings = investment = stuff like making capital expenditures in factories, or making loans. Consumption = yacht maintenance, etc. The economy needs both (since they depend on each other). But as a public policy matter, if we want to promote economic equality, I think equality in consumption matters a lot more than equality in net-worth-on-paper. I therefore do not want to favor a policy that might cause the super rich to consume even more than they already do. I'd rather cause the super rich to forego extra consumption so that they can make investments that allow others to increase their consumption instead.

But this all gets complicated by what the tax proceeds are used for, etc.

There might be a way to do it that makes sense, and I'm not familiar with the details of Warren's plan.

Why do we need to monitor everyone's net worth?  Warren's tax is estimated to hit about 75,000 families.  Let's just monitor them.
Yeah, we'd focus on them. But identifying who's in the 75,000 and who's not would require paying attention to far more than 75,000 households.

But as a public policy matter, if we want to promote economic equality, I think equality in consumption matters a lot more than equality in net-worth-on-paper.
I'm not sure I agree with this, I need to think about it some more.  If I own a ten million dollar home, how does that fit into your equation?  That's not just worth on paper.  But it's also not really "consumption" unless the home is losing value.

ETA:  I have a lot of other responses to your post but this seemed most interesting.  

If we're talking about a 2% tax on someone who already has $50 million, the effect may be negligible.
This tax (IMO) would end up a lot like the AMT.  Not so much people now, but a ####load later.  $10 says they wouldn't tag the threshold to CPI or inflation, either.

I'm not sure I agree with this, I need to think about it some more.  If I own a ten million dollar home, how does that fit into your equation?  That's not just worth on paper.  But it's also not really "consumption" unless the home is losing value.
That's a good point.  Luxury real estate would absolutely crash and burn.  People would be strapped to an asset that they're paying a ton of tax on.  

ETA:  I have a lot of other responses to your post but this seemed most interesting.  
I'd categorize a residence as mainly consumption. If you live in a mansion that you're renting for $50,000 a month, that would unquestionably be consumption. If you own that same mansion and live in it yourself, you're really renting it out from yourself at its rental value, which is the exact same consumption. Building a house would be investment, but living in it is consumption.

So let's say I have one house, and I'm considering building a second house. I could either use the second house as my own second residence, or I could rent it out to someone who doesn't currently have a house to live in. In the first case, I'm increasing my consumption. In the second case, I'm increasing my savings. The second case better equalizes consumption, and I think does a better job of equalizing what we ought to care about more.

make $20,000 or $60,000 or $200,000 and almost everyone spends their income - no, I still say 10% is equally important to everyone

This doesn't make sense to me. If you make $20k and lose 10%, you only have $18k left. 

If you make $20mm, you still have $18mm remaining. 

So let's say I have one house, and I'm considering building a second house. I could either use the second house as my own second residence, or I could rent it out to someone who doesn't currently have a house to live in. In the first case, I'm increasing my consumption. In the second case, I'm increasing my savings. The second case better equalizes consumption, and I think does a better job of equalizing what we ought to care about more.
Why would a wealth tax influence a really rich person to rent out a second home?  Is it your impression that the ultra-rich are regularly renting out their homes? 

This doesn't make sense to me. If you make $20k and lose 10%, you only have $18k left. 

If you make $20mm, you still have $18mm remaining. 
most people spend all the money they make .... ultra-wealthy are a bit different .... none the less I stand firm, 10% of a person's income is a lot regardless of who it is

10% is 10% ... 2,000 lost is a lot, 2 million lost is a lot

This tax (IMO) would end up a lot like the AMT.  Not so much people now, but a ####load later.  $10 says they wouldn't tag the threshold to CPI or inflation, either.
You think a crapload of people are going to have $50 million in assets sometime soon?

You think a crapload of people are going to have $50 million in assets sometime soon?
IMO, if instituted (which it won't be - constitutionality) I don't think we'll end up at 50M.  It will need to be much lower.  5-10.  Then we will see inflation creep into that number.

In other words, I don't trust govt. at all here.  Once the door is open they will reach down as far as they can go.  Let's face it, the current crop of candidates (sans Biden) essentially believe that all income should go to the govt. for them to redistribute as they see fit.  

IMO, if instituted (which it won't be - constitutionality) I don't think we'll end up at 50M.  It will need to be much lower.  5-10.  Then we will see inflation creep into that number.

In other words, I don't trust govt. at all here.  Once the door is open they will reach down as far as they can go.  Let's face it, the current crop of candidates (sans Biden) essentially believe that all income should go to the govt. for them to redistribute as they see fit.  
OK once we start discussing what you imagine the plan will look like instead of what's actually been proposed it becomes impossible to have a meaningful discussion of its merits.

Why do feel this way?  Taxes have been low, especially on the top earners, for decades. If anything the trend is the opposite of what you describe. 

Why would a wealth tax influence a really rich person to rent out a second home?
That wasn't my claim. I was just addressing your statement that living in a $10 million home isn't consumption unless it's losing value. I think it is consumption.

I do contend that, as a general proposition, a tax on savings will cause rich people to consume more. But I don't contend that a 2% wealth tax on someone who already has $50 million in net assets will influence whether he rents out his second home.

So to put everything you've said together:

But as a public policy matter, if we want to promote economic equality, I think equality in consumption matters a lot more than equality in net-worth-on-paper.

That wasn't my claim. I was just addressing your statement that living in a $10 million home isn't consumption unless it's losing value. I think it is consumption.
I'm hopelessly confused.  Do you think that rich people will buy fewer houses if there's a wealth tax?  

Do you think that rich people will buy fewer houses if there's a wealth tax?
Almost certainly. (For one thing, they won't be able to afford quite as many.)

I mean, overall, we need more information. A wealth tax could reduce the number of houses built, and thereby reduce the number of houses bought and sold (including by rich people). But if the proceeds of the tax are used to build houses, then never mind.

Also, I’m missing whatever is supposed to be confusing in the three quotes taken together.

One thing is for certain, good accountants will be paid mightily if anything like this comes to pass.  A good plan on deflating the value of your assets, at least on paper, will be the new niche market.

They are, but it's primary session -  i.e. an echo chamber aided by a propagandist media arm.   Too much chaff to hear those voices.
Call it impatience if you have to. I'm just ready for some facts. If you know of a good site for some unbiased democratic nominee views, I'm all for reading it. 

IMO the D ticket going back to playing "politics of old" wont be a winning idea. 

just remember - your salary right now, is wealthy to someone, somewhere .......... if they wanted to tax you heavy for your wealth, how would you feel ?

My fear has been ,and always be, what the definition of the "richest Americans" constitutes.

My wife and I make a good living but we aren't making NFL kind of bank.

However, there are people we know who would absolutely say we are "rich"   I am fairly confident the threshold of "richest Americans" will continue to drop.
What’s your definition?

That’s crazy talk. No way someone living paycheck to paycheck views 10% income tax the same as a six figure earner.

And I’m not sure most people live within their means either.

Of what? The richest Americans?  That would be those with the most wealth.  Is there a different definition?
You said you’re concerned you’d be included in the rich Americans, while suggesting you think otherwise. What income constitutes “rich”, in your opinion? Would you be ok if that group were taxed more?

just remember - your salary right now, is wealthy to someone, somewhere .......... if they wanted to tax you heavy for your wealth, how would you feel ?
They already do, but if they taxed it more, I’d not be too bent if I felt other high earners shouldered a similar burden.

You said you’re concerned you’d be included in the rich Americans, while suggesting you think otherwise. What income constitutes “rich”, in your opinion? Would you be ok if that group were taxed more?
The rich are taxed more already. 

But to answer your question....No I am not ok with a wealth tax at all--regardless of how much wealth they possess.  And one reason, was what I mentioned above.

Kind of thought I was clear about that.    :rolleyes:

The issue should not be taxing wealth which has already been taxed.  The issue people who own corporations which grow into tens or hundreds of billions of dollars who never pay taxes on them.  Look at the likes of Bill Gates who took a nice salary and paid taxes on that.  But Microsoft grew into this massive trillion dollar corporation and Bill Gates became the worlds richest man, but only paid tax on his realitively skimpy salary.  If I grow my personal wealth that much through labor, my entire $40 billion of wealth would be taxed at about 60 percent between federal and state income taxes.  But if you own a corporation and hold, that wealth growth is not captured in income tax.  That is what needs to be tax.  Not wealth which normal income tax rates have already been paid.  But that personal wealth growth which escapes income taxes indefinitely.

The issue should not be taxing wealth which has already been taxed.  The issue people who own corporations which grow into tens or hundreds of billions of dollars who never pay taxes on them.  Look at the likes of Bill Gates who took a nice salary and paid taxes on that.  But Microsoft grew into this massive trillion dollar corporation and Bill Gates became the worlds richest man, but only paid tax on his realitively skimpy salary.  If I grow my personal wealth that much through labor, my entire $40 billion of wealth would be taxed at about 60 percent between federal and state income taxes.  But if you own a corporation and hold, that wealth growth is not captured in income tax.  That is what needs to be tax.  Not wealth which normal income tax rates have already been paid.  But that personal wealth growth which escapes income taxes indefinitely.
agreed

and find a way to clamp down on all the off shore nonsense

jon_mx said:
Would the government give him back his money if the value of the stock went to zero?

supermike80 said:
The rich are taxed more already. 

But to answer your question....No I am not ok with a wealth tax at all--regardless of how much wealth they possess.  And one reason, was what I mentioned above.

Kind of thought I was clear about that.    :rolleyes:
Easy to quickly get in the weeds when talking taxes but are many wealthy paying proportionally less than everyone else (ex: Warren Buffett)

jon_mx said:
great, lets make him sell his company to pay his taxes.  That makes sense...

ETA - Clearly, this should be obvious but he is taxed on the sale of equity and when he dies.  That is point of estate tax.  Wealth tax is just idiotic.  

He went public and it is just stock, so why not?  Why is that type of wealth accumulation more special than others?  
He would pay tax when he sold it on his own on the gain. Why remove his incentive in the company and force a sale before he decides on his own.  

ETA - There are also a ton of private companies.  Where it is not so easy to sell.  See my posts earlier why this whole idea is idiotic.  

Users who are viewing this thread