What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 05 2022 who should I start thread **OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Thinking of starting Hines vs DEN with JT out, over Harris vs BUF.

Thoughts?
I don't know what to really think about Hines. I guess he should see some more opportunities, maybe 15-18 if things break right so it might be worth the roll of the dice. However I could also see very little variation in his current usage. Still it's tough to have confidence in Dionte either after last week's dud with Pickett under center. Only two of Diontae's six targets came with Pickett at QB. But, the good thing about playing at Buffalo is they are already down 21 points so, we have to imagine Pittsburgh will eventually start throwing a lot. Then again Tomlin may not want to traumatize Pickett and stick with a heavy dose of Najee no matter what. Such a hard call.

With very little confidence I am going to side with talent and say:

Diontae>Hines

Standard:

Do I drop TE Engram for Conklin? (also have E. Moore, but haven't been starting him) -- also have Shultz

Need 1 RB and 2 in flex from :

Stevenson vs Detroit
Cooks @ Jax
Herbert @ Minny
London @ TB
Pollard @ LAR
Moore vs Miami
I don't have much to say about the TEs. Conklin seems to be a more consistent part of his offense than Engram. So, I probably make that move.
I forgot to mentions that other TE options available are Dissly, Tonyan and L. Thomas...Dissly with 3 TD's

Standard:

Do I drop TE Engram for Conklin? (also have E. Moore, but haven't been starting him) -- also have Shultz

Need 1 RB and 2 in flex from :

Stevenson vs Detroit
Cooks @ Jax
Herbert @ Minny
London @ TB
Pollard @ LAR
Moore vs Miami
I don't have much to say about the TEs. Conklin seems to be a more consistent part of his offense than Engram. So, I probably make that move.
I forgot to mentions that other TE options available are Dissly, Tonyan and L. Thomas...Dissly with 3 TD's
All these guys are random number generators. Pick the one you want to root for most, or the one getting the most targets.

Thoughts?
I don't know what to really think about Hines. I guess he should see some more opportunities, maybe 15-18 if things break right so it might be worth the roll of the dice. However I could also see very little variation in his current usage. Still it's tough to have confidence in Dionte either after last week's dud with Pickett under center. Only two of Diontae's six targets came with Pickett at QB. But, the good thing about playing at Buffalo is they are already down 21 points so, we have to imagine Pittsburgh will eventually start throwing a lot. Then again Tomlin may not want to traumatize Pickett and stick with a heavy dose of Najee no matter what. Such a hard call.

Diontae>Hines
Was talking about Najee not Diontae 😅

Last edited:
Assuming Michael Thomas is out, I have to choose 2 of the following...

Wilson vs MIA
Lazard vs NYG
Pickens vs BUF
Moore vs SF

I'm really leaning the two rookies

Wilson vs MIA
Lazard vs NYG
Pickens vs BUF
Moore vs SF

I like Wilson for sure. Between Pickens and Lazard for the last spot. Pickens might be getting a lot more targets with Pickett starting now, but against a really good team. Lazard is the the safer play.

I’d probably go Wilson and Lazard personally.

Goff or Stafford?

Seemed easy to me at first except...
  • Goff hasn't played outside yet.
  • Most of his weapons are still injured
  • NE has the top 2 rated man corners in the league.

Russ vs IND

Or

Goff vs NE

?

Queue the daily question from @Chaka just what does Goff have to do?

Russ put up his first multi-TD game of the season last week. Offense disappeared when the game was still in doubt but the box score looked good. Anyway, good for Wilson, finally put up a good week.

Detroit was missing it's two best playmakers last week. Their starting offensive line has had 4 missed starts at RG, 1 at C, the last 3 at LG. Swift, ARSB, and their X receiver (Chark) will all likely miss the Patriots game. Doesn't matter. The offense has scored in 15/16 quarters this year (which was a continuation of how they ended last season.) They lead the league in scoring, and thanks to a defense that couldn't stop ANYONE, they'll have to keep that pace up. They run well, they pass well, they have a freaking professional lacrosse player starting WR and catching balls - whatever, the OL keeps Goff clean. Although to his credit his pocket awareness has been much better this season, he's made some great throws after sliding out of the pocket. Still has an occasional Goof (two pick 6s) but he has been going off. They have brilliant young coordinator in Ben Johnson. In the 9 games Goff has played since Thanksgiving he has 22 TDs and 5 INT. They lead the league in total yards, touchdowns, it's the best offense in the NFL.

Oh, and starting left guard Jonah Jackson probably comes back this week.

But it is Jared Goff. Hence the question(s). This is a big week for him. Not just because they don't want to go into the bye 1-4. If you follow the arc of his career, he played at a very high level 2017 & 2018. Bill Belichick destroyed him in Super Bowl LIII. Literally - he wasn't the same player for 2.5 years afterwards. He started to play better down the stretch in 2021. He's playing really well right now. But it's an interesting case, BB has the Sith Lord aura around him, they're notorious for taking away the thing you do best. Without his best weapons, this is a big test for whether Goff is for real in 2022.

Goff or Stafford?

Jonathan Jones is super fast, but I don't know about PFF's assertion he's the new lockdown corner. He's given up a passer rating of 86.3 (9-15-143-1-1, 3 PDs.)

The other starting CB Jalen Mills (hamstring, should be back this week) has given up a rating of 87.6 (9-15-148-1-1, 1 PD).

They also have a couple injured safeties and basically everyone on their back 4 has been burned this year.

Patriots are giving up the 9th most FF Points to QBs, 18th most to WRs, 8th most to TEs. Last two weeks they've been gashed for 188 and 199 yards rushing - Detroit is committed to the run and averaging 5.9 YPC.

Think I'd be more concerned about whether the Patriots can stop the Lions than wondering if Goff will have a good game. They've been dealing with injuries all year, why pick this week to fret about it? Hasn't slowed them down yet and their OL is getting back their Pro Bowl LG. Still got Jamaal Williams, TJ Hockenson, and Goff has good chemistry with Josh Reynolds.

I guess I can see being worried about an offense that is starting a midget little person in the slot and a midfielder at the Z. The Patriots are a more challenging defense than the Seahawks, it is on the road (though I would question the logic of "it's being played outside" when we're talking early October and the weather will be fine), and it is hard to trust Jared Goff.

But my goodness have you seen the Rams offensive line play this year? Their center is out 4-6 weeks, fourth OL injury they've had in the last month. Outside of Kupp and (maybe) Higbee you shouldn't be starting anyone from the champs offense. Stafford's ADOT - 6.2 vs 8.0 and 9.2 the previous two seasons - has fallen into the basement. From a FF perspective, Dallas is a much tougher matchups for QBs in magic football. If you want to ignore 2022 data to make decisions, be my guest.

I lost both Dak and Lance week 1 and i have been rolling through waiver wire qbs that are terrible. Who do i pick up this week

marriotta
wilson
tannehill
pickett
jones

I picked up tannehill week 2 and he got me 1 point, jones week 3 who got me one point and marriotta last week who got me 1 point

Standard scoring: Need 1 WR and 1 Flex from this.

Gabe Davis vs Pitt
Brandin Cooks @ Jax
Romeo Doubs vs NYG (London)
Curtis Samuel vs TN
Antonio Gibson vs TN
David Montgomery @ MN

Gabe Davis vs Pitt
Brandin Cooks @ Jax
Curtis Samuel vs TN
Antonio Gibson vs TN
David Montgomery @ MN

I like Cooks and Doubs...
That is what is in my lineup now. Cooks has been decent but underwhelming...but finally scored. Jax though has been pretty good against WRs thus far and Davis gets Pitt (and thus far full practice this week). It may come down to what my team is doing on game day...do I need the steady floor of Cooks or the ceiling of Davis.

Gabe Davis vs Pitt
Brandin Cooks @ Jax
Curtis Samuel vs TN
Antonio Gibson vs TN
David Montgomery @ MN

I like Cooks and Doubs...
That is what is in my lineup now. Cooks has been decent but underwhelming...but finally scored. Jax though has been pretty good against WRs thus far and Davis gets Pitt (and thus far full practice this week). It may come down to what my team is doing on game day...do I need the steady floor of Cooks or the ceiling of Davis.
I always look at ceilings and floors...I think cooks and doubs have the highest floor and the highest ceiling...DM is the one outlier coming off injury

One more for me...a little different of a question.

Lost javonte in a standard league. Was offered my Dalvin Cook for his Miles Sanders, CEH, and Pacheco. My other rbs are singletary, Edmonds, Brian Robinson, and Murray. My wrs are pretty good and would flex Cooper(maybe Robinson eventually) if I don't trade.

It's tempting but I would make his team pretty strong with Kamara, Chubb, Cook though.

One more for me...a little different of a question.

Lost javonte in a standard league. Was offered my Dalvin Cook for his Miles Sanders, CEH, and Pacheco. My other rbs are singletary, Edmonds, Brian Robinson, and Murray. My wrs are pretty good and would flex Cooper(maybe Robinson eventually) if I don't trade.

It's tempting but I would make his team pretty strong with Kamara, Chubb, Cook though.

Would make your team weaker IMO. Dalvin isn't off to his best start (RB25 in PPR) but you know he's gonna throw up a couple 30 pointers that win the week for you.

I lost both Dak and Lance week 1 and i have been rolling through waiver wire qbs that are terrible. Who do i pick up this week

marriotta
wilson
tannehill
pickett
jones

I picked up tannehill week 2 and he got me 1 point, jones week 3 who got me one point and marriotta last week who got me 1 point

Wilson (presuming Goff and Geno are gone)

he's the only one who has put a 20 pointer this year, can't trust Pickett rn and Jones is hurting, the other two have limited upside.

Thoughts?

Diontae>Hines
Was talking about Najee not Diontae 😅
My bad.

Najee is a tough one to call. I hate the idea of benching him. I've never been particularly impressed with him and the Bills are tough as they come but he gets mad volume every week.

It may be the wrong call but I can't bench Najee.

Najee>Hines

@hamsterdam is this PPR?

Last edited:
Russ vs IND

Or

Goff vs NE

?

Queue the daily question from @Chaka just what does Goff have to do?

Russ put up his first multi-TD game of the season last week. Offense disappeared when the game was still in doubt but the box score looked good. Anyway, good for Wilson, finally put up a good week.

Detroit was missing it's two best playmakers last week. Their starting offensive line has had 4 missed starts at RG, 1 at C, the last 3 at LG. Swift, ARSB, and their X receiver (Chark) will all likely miss the Patriots game. Doesn't matter. The offense has scored in 15/16 quarters this year (which was a continuation of how they ended last season.) They lead the league in scoring, and thanks to a defense that couldn't stop ANYONE, they'll have to keep that pace up. They run well, they pass well, they have a freaking professional lacrosse player starting WR and catching balls - whatever, the OL keeps Goff clean. Although to his credit his pocket awareness has been much better this season, he's made some great throws after sliding out of the pocket. Still has an occasional Goof (two pick 6s) but he has been going off. They have brilliant young coordinator in Ben Johnson. In the 9 games Goff has played since Thanksgiving he has 22 TDs and 5 INT. They lead the league in total yards, touchdowns, it's the best offense in the NFL.

Oh, and starting left guard Jonah Jackson probably comes back this week.

But it is Jared Goff. Hence the question(s). This is a big week for him. Not just because they don't want to go into the bye 1-4. If you follow the arc of his career, he played at a very high level 2017 & 2018. Bill Belichick destroyed him in Super Bowl LIII. Literally - he wasn't the same player for 2.5 years afterwards. He started to play better down the stretch in 2021. He's playing really well right now. But it's an interesting case, BB has the Sith Lord aura around him, they're notorious for taking away the thing you do best. Without his best weapons, this is a big test for whether Goff is for real in 2022.
thanks for all this.

O.K here we go, FFPC scoring:
Need THREE (3) of the following:

R.Stevenson vs Det
J.Connor vs Phi
J.Williams @ NE
A.Jones vs NYG
B.Cooks @ Jax
D.Smith @ AZ

And in another league,FFPC scoring:
Need ONE (1) of the following:

B.Aiyuk @ Car
T.Etienne vs Hou

Last edited:
I hate the dilemma I am facing this week.

Need to pick 2 between the following at RB/Flex:
Stevenson vs Detroit - start everyone against Detroit so I am definitely leaning him at my RB2
Hines @ Denver - Thursday game, need to decide tonight to start him and not sure what production he will bring.
Herbert @ Minnesota - Really depends what Monty is doing. I love Herbert and he gets the touches, but would prefer if Monty is out.

Then at WR, need to pick 1 of the following:
Gabe Davis vs Pittsburgh -struggled so far, is this the week he turns it around? Finally healthy.
Rashod Bateman vs Cincinnati - started strong, then sucked the last 2 games, now he is Q, but I like a possible shootout potential with Cincy
Corey Davis vs Miami - Wilson seems to love him and has actually had a solid year, nothing spectacular but steady 10-15 points per week
Michael Gallup @ LAR - 2nd game back, the TD score last week saved his week.

Wilson vs MIA
Lazard vs NYG
Pickens vs BUF
Moore vs SF

IMO DJ Moore rides the bench until further notice.

Your only question is what do you really think about Pickens? The chemistry with Pickett seems legit BUT the Bills ain't the Jets. It says a lot about what Tomlin thinks of Pickett's mental strength to give him his first start in Buffalo. And maybe the Steelers end up throwing a ton trying to keep pace. I don't imagine there will be much running room for Najee and the Bills secondary is missing a few pieces. Could this possibly be a coming out party for the Pickett to Pickens duo? I have no earthly idea but it's fun to speculate on.

The Packers seem perfectly content to try and wear teams down. 27 rushes, 32 passes and play good defense. Banking on Lazard (just under 6 targets/game) is banking on a TD. Not necessarily a bad call considering he is a giant of a man and Favre seems to be looking at him in the red zone. I think the offense becomes more dynamic as the season progresses, but I also think the Packers should win this game handily and maybe this isn't the week to expect a big game from Rodgers.

Wilson at hime against a wouned Miami secondary feels like a good start. Even with Zach at QB I'm not ready to discount Wilson's good start to the season.

You can flip a coin on these three but I kinda like:

Wilson>Pickens>Lazard. It seems like the most fun order.

need a #2 RB, please don't ask how i got here.

Mike Boone vs Indy
David Montgomery @ Min
Brian Robinson vs Ten

TIA!

.5 PPR

Last edited:
Half PPR, have to start Chubb and Ekeler. But last flex spot is interesting now with last weeks injuries…

Mixon or M Gordon or N Hines?

Melvin Gordon against Indy.

or

James Conner against Philly
Please try to remember to include important scoring variables. Particularly PPR.

Melvin by a good margin IMO. People who thought Denver is planning to move away from him before Javonte got hurt, because of the fumbles were trying to speak their hopes into existence. Now, without Javonte, Melvin is the only show in town...at least this week. Gordon was terrible against the Raiders but so was Boone, he didn't earn more PT the Broncos simply didn't have another option. I believe the coaching staff has already said Gordon is the starter and it's too soon to worry about Latavius. Russ will probably pass more, but even if you remove the 12 target game Javonte had at Seattle, Russ is targeting his RBs 8 times/game. Melvin has the opportunity to step up this week against an average opponent, he may not be great but he should be good enough.

Gordon may be bad so far this season but Conner has been worse. Throw in a tough matchup and the likelihood of needing to pass, pass, pass to keep up and what's Conner's upside? Limited and entirely TD dependent. IMO.

Melvin>Conner

Goff or Stafford?

Fantasy football seasons are short and we don't have the luxury of waiting for trends to solidify before making decisions.

Personally, I can't discount Goff's 🌋 hot start and Stafford's equally 🧊 start this deep into the season.

Goff>Stafford

Melvin Gordon against Indy.

or

James Conner against Philly
Please try to remember to include important scoring variables. Particularly PPR.

Melvin by a good margin IMO. People who thought Denver is planning to move away from him before Javonte got hurt, because of the fumbles were trying to speak their hopes into existence. Now, without Javonte, Melvin is the only show in town...at least this week. Gordon was terrible against the Raiders but so was Boone, he didn't earn more PT the Broncos simply didn't have another option. I believe the coaching staff has already said Gordon is the starter and it's too soon to worry about Latavius. Russ will probably pass more, but even if you remove the 12 target game Javonte had at Seattle, Russ is targeting his RBs 8 times/game. Melvin has the opportunity to step up this week against an average opponent, he may not be great but he should be good enough.

Gordon may be bad so far this season but Conner has been worse. Throw in a tough matchup and the likelihood of needing to pass, pass, pass to keep up and what's Conner's upside? Limited and entirely TD dependent. IMO.

Melvin>Conner
It’s 12 team PPR. I usually include this but I forgot this time.

If Gordon makes it through the game he’s the guy for sure. I’m terrified of another fumble.

Half PPR, have to start Chubb and Ekeler. But last flex spot is interesting now with last weeks injuries…

Mixon or M Gordon or N Hines?
I would go with Mixon. Denver's offense still seems off and Mixon is the workhorse. Hines will be probably be in a time share and is not the clear workhorse with Taylor out.

Mike Boone vs Indy
David Montgomery @ Min
Brian Robinson vs Ten

TIA!

.5 PPR
Mike Boone is probably the only one of those 3 who will play this week which should make this an easy choice. If Monty plays than I would start him.
So how did you get there? :)

Bench one. PPR

RB- CMC, AJones, MSanders
WR- Diggs, Deebo, Waddle, Evans, Kirk
Waddle. He is explosive as anyone in the league but with his injury status, I believe he was DNP yesterday, and Bridgewater under center I think he has the lowest floor.

I hate the dilemma I am facing this week.

Need to pick 2 between the following at RB/Flex:
Stevenson vs Detroit - start everyone against Detroit so I am definitely leaning him at my RB2
Hines @ Denver - Thursday game, need to decide tonight to start him and not sure what production he will bring.
Herbert @ Minnesota - Really depends what Monty is doing. I love Herbert and he gets the touches, but would prefer if Monty is out.

Then at WR, need to pick 1 of the following:
Gabe Davis vs Pittsburgh -struggled so far, is this the week he turns it around? Finally healthy.
Rashod Bateman vs Cincinnati - started strong, then sucked the last 2 games, now he is Q, but I like a possible shootout potential with Cincy
Corey Davis vs Miami - Wilson seems to love him and has actually had a solid year, nothing spectacular but steady 10-15 points per week
Michael Gallup @ LAR - 2nd game back, the TD score last week saved his week.
I think Herbert is going to start. If he does I would play him - if not I would play Stevenson.

I would go with Gabe. Corey might be solid but I think you have better upside with Gabe. I don't trust Gallup yet and like the other options better.
Bateman has a foot injury and didn't practice yesterday and is too hit or miss for my taste.

Russ vs IND

Or

Goff vs NE

?
I think Russ is finding his legs and starting to become a bit more like his old self. With a downgraded running game, something he is very used to from Seattle, I think he will get to carry more of the load going forward.

I love Goff and I would not question starting him over Russ for even a second but IMO

Russ>Goff

Mike Boone vs Indy
David Montgomery @ Min
Brian Robinson vs Ten

TIA!

.5 PPR
Mike Boone is probably the only one of those 3 who will play this week which should make this an easy choice. If Monty plays than I would start him.
So how did you get there? :)
well, since you replied with an answer..

drafted Akers, picked up Michael Carter from the WW. both heading in wrong direction, so I picked up Montgomery and he immediately got injured.

my draft was terrible and i'm barely 2-2. i hate asking for help, but i'm in a real pickle this year.

thanks, i appreciate the input.

Struggling at RB2 alongside Saquon with Swift out again. PPR league.

Etienne vs. Houston
Edmonds @ NYJ
R. White vs. Atlanta
Pollard @ LA Rams
Warren @ Buffalo

Begrudgingly leaning Etienne here only because his usage appears to be gaining, although it's still Robinson's show. Similarly, can't trust Edmonds right now with more and more work going to Mostert (even in the passing game); R. White's stock is rising, but it's still Lenny's backfield unless maybe it's a really negative game script (not likely at home vs. Atlanta); Pollard also taking a back seat to Zeke and all the receiving options are now healthy; and Warren needs an injury to Najee to have any kind of value.

FLEX -- PPR

Breece Hall vs Miami or Romeo Doubs vs NYG?

Miami D stout vs run, but sucks vs receiving backs // NYG has good numbers vs pass this year, but I think they are misleading. No one in that secondary scares me. Doubs seems like the guy already.

Last edited:
O.K here we go, FFPC scoring:
Need THREE (3) of the following:

R.Stevenson vs Det
J.Connor vs Phi
J.Williams @ NE
A.Jones vs NYG
B.Cooks @ Jax
D.Smith @ AZ

And in another league,FFPC scoring:
Need ONE (1) of the following:

B.Aiyuk @ Car
T.Etienne vs Hou
Stevenson, Williams and Jones. Conner has a tough matchup is not getting the job done. I would consider putting Cooks in for Stevenson but I like Stevenson's matchup too much to bench him.
Aiyuk - Don't trust Etienne

marriotta
wilson
tannehill
pickett
jones

Essentially a bunch of random number generators. I probably go with Tannehill. He's a low volume passer but he has a very nice matchup and he is generally very efficient and will get the occasional goal line opportunity.

Wilson is really the only other one I would consider with a banged up Miami secondary and a lot of skill position talent surrounding him. Generally speaking he may be the most fun to root for as well.

Struggling at RB2 alongside Saquon with Swift out again. PPR league.

Etienne vs. Houston
Edmonds @ NYJ
R. White vs. Atlanta
Pollard @ LA Rams
Warren @ Buffalo

Begrudgingly leaning Etienne here only because his usage appears to be gaining, although it's still Robinson's show. Similarly, can't trust Edmonds right now with more and more work going to Mostert (even in the passing game); R. White's stock is rising, but it's still Lenny's backfield unless maybe it's a really negative game script (not likely at home vs. Atlanta); Pollard also taking a back seat to Zeke and all the receiving options are now healthy; and Warren needs an injury to Najee to have any kind of value.
I would choose between Pollard and Etienne. I think you saw the absolute floor (barring injury) with Pollard last week and he should bounce back and have a decent game. Etienne is hard to gauge as well and has also been somewhat invisible. IMHO it is a coin flip. I would probably go Pollard but don't feel strongly about it.

Gabe Davis vs Pitt
Brandin Cooks @ Jax
Curtis Samuel vs TN
Antonio Gibson vs TN
David Montgomery @ MN
Man...this is just a WAG.

Since it's standard scoring and not PPR:

Gabe Davis may be in the best position if, as most everyone expects, the Bills roll the Steelers. With Crowder done and McKenzie in the concussion protocol Davis's targets may creep up providing the Bills aren't sitting their starters early. Realistically I wouldn't expect that to happen until the mid 4th quarter, and it would only happen if the Bills had already taken a significant lead.

Doubs is probably my next choice. It's impossible to know if the last two weeks were an anomaly based on a lack of other options, or if represents the start of something real. However he has 16 targets, 13 receptions and two TDs (that could easily have been three) over the last two games.

After that it is much more difficult, Cooks, Samuel and Gibson are great PPR options but predicting their end zone viability is truly impossible. You gotta go with your gut on those three.

I have not heard an update on Montgomery's status but he was DNP yesterday. Not an option IMO.

Davis>Doubs>flip a coin>Montgomery

FLEX

Miami D stout vs run, but sucks vs receiving backs // NYG has good numbers vs pass this year, but I think they are misleading. No one in that secondary scares me. Doubs seems like the guy already.
Close call here. but I would probably go with Hall because I can see the Packers getting up big and running the ball. The Packers D is good and they could be going up against a gimpy QB or Barkley running the wildcat. Tyrod is in the concussion protocol so his availability is in question. Show some respect to the Giants passing D - they shut down the might Justin Fields last weekend :)

Update: now that Kamara has practiced and declared himself ready to play, any advice I gave above about not starting him in this juicy matchup goes out the window.

If you have AK, and AK starts, start him.

P
FLEX -- PPR

Inclined to agree based on matchups, but Hall seems like a player on the rise. His snap share is increasing as is his receiving role. It’s still Doubs, but it’s a lot closer of a call than it might seem like.

Users who are viewing this thread